Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
I can tell you that Doomstadt has at least two churches... the Church of St. Peter and the Church of St. Blaise.

Epicurius fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Did one of you mention Transhumanism a couple pages ago? I spoke to someone on their way to a “True Legends” conference. I asked a little bit about it and they were pretty guarded. I got them to open up a bit, but mostly they just said “look it up.”

Just now looked it up. :aaa:

Who are these people?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It shows up now and again in this thread, and, very often, in others on SA. Essentially, transhumanists aim to change humanity into something better by transcending the limits of it.

The tools are drug/physiological science, the melding of minds with computers and esoteric disciplines - ironically to some of us, many transhumanists are big time into meditation and prayer as a way to "hack" the human condition into performing better, without adressing what that condition is about.

Try this on for size: https://whatistranshumanism.org/

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Also some of them have basically accidentally recreated a faith-based eschaton without (probably) meaning to, complete with the resurrection of the dead (in the form of belief in Cryonics) and a grand judgment by the new computer god.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
also half of them are super racist and believe racism and authoritarianism are "traditional," pre-Enlightenment ways of life it's actually the opposite

edit: like, get a load of this guy, he wants 80% of humanity to live in a medieval like world and the remaining 20% who have "certain roles in society" to live in futuristic cities. who are these elite few? who has these roles? he does, of course

https://www.traditionalright.com/retroculture/

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 18, 2018

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Night10194 posted:

Also some of them have basically accidentally recreated a faith-based eschaton without (probably) meaning to, complete with the resurrection of the dead (in the form of belief in Cryonics) and a grand judgment by the new computer god.

well if it's people from Jewish or Christian backgrounds who are getting incredibly emotionally heated up and inventing these things, what they invent is likely to have a Jewish or Christian form, if not content.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

also half of them are super racist and believe racism and authoritarianism are "traditional," pre-Enlightenment ways of life it's actually the opposite

edit: like, get a load of this guy, he wants 80% of humanity to live in a medieval like world and the remaining 20% who have "certain roles in society" to live in futuristic cities. who are these elite few? who has these roles? he does, of course

https://www.traditionalright.com/retroculture/

Oh this is the guy who wrote the incredibly bad racist patriot fiction that was linked in the milhist thread a little bit back. (Seriously, it is incredibly bad even by the standards of racist patriot fiction.)

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

HEY GUNS posted:

if you like the modern ancient-faith-radio style stuff, these people are on reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/PatristicsProject
if you like the real deal, patristics are all out of copyright so i have had good luck going to youtube or google and just typing "[AUTHOR]+audiobook"

Thanks for the recommendation, I haven't gotten the chance to listen to the PatristicsProject stuff yet, but it looks like what I'm wanting (more of a discussion about things instead of a reading of the fathers)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

P-Mack posted:

Oh this is the guy who wrote the incredibly bad racist patriot fiction that was linked in the milhist thread a little bit back. (Seriously, it is incredibly bad even by the standards of racist patriot fiction.)
no this is a nazi criticizing that dude for not putting 80% of everyone in medieval villages

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HEY GUNS posted:

well if it's people from Jewish or Christian backgrounds who are getting incredibly emotionally heated up and inventing these things, what they invent is likely to have a Jewish or Christian form, if not content.

Yes, but it's still fascinating. A religious yearning in someone who associates religion with stupidity and thinks they're too smart to be religious.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Night10194 posted:

Yes, but it's still fascinating. A religious yearning in someone who associates religion with stupidity and thinks they're too smart to be religious.

'The Singularity' has been called The Rapture of the Nerds for a long time.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

HEY GUNS posted:

no this is a nazi criticizing that dude for not putting 80% of everyone in medieval villages

Ahhh, it's like watching Maoist third worldists debate each other but worse.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

I think at this point I'd like a medieval village life.

Means I'd die quicker too probably!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

HEY GUNS posted:

or if it's someone who grew up reading bad science fiction and horror books, they invent stuff like Roko's Basilisk

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Can't wait for the glorious transhuman futuelre predicted by Blindsight

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

im waiting for the cosmology of people who grew up on harry potter and angry birds

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

So I guess this conference was a Christian Fundamentalist gathering against transhumanism. Topics included the holocaust of giants and how targeted ads can predict your desires, maybe even plant them (feelin’ gay?).

The US is bonkers.

Edit: https://gensix.com

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
like i say every time this comes up, if you don't long for the resurrection and the moral perfection of the world, regardless of your framework, then what are you even doing

i don't believe in the transhumanist version any more than i do the Christian version but i do appreciate the vision of building it with our own hands

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

like i say every time this comes up, if you don't long for the resurrection and the moral perfection of the world, regardless of your framework, then what are you even doing

i don't believe in the transhumanist version any more than i do the Christian version but i do appreciate the vision of building it with our own hands

Along those lines I find the Freezone people who practice the Scientology faith outside of the Scientology organization to be one of the most fascinating things in the world. I think it's gonna have staying power.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

I think at this point I'd like a medieval village life.

Means I'd die quicker too probably!
stay alive my dude, we're all pulling for you and if you need help, we're here

ThePopeOfFun posted:

(feelin’ gay?)
somewhat

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

it's like DDees and Da Share Zone had a baby

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

tag urself im the vaccinations and the fallen angel dna in our genome

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
True legends is what a group of drunk Australians is called.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Starting my early christianity course today, we've already talked about Desert Fathers and the Syrian church :getin:

shame on an IGA posted:

Along those lines I find the Freezone people who practice the Scientology faith outside of the Scientology organization to be one of the most fascinating things in the world. I think it's gonna have staying power.

Homie of mine had a scientology member as a tutor, and credits his techniques with teaching him language and math, though he thinks the religion is super terrible.

E: Just saw this:

Lutha Mahtin posted:

lookalike mushrooms honestly scare me

related: who is the patron saint of mushrooms, and or are there any good hagiographies about somebody getting high as balls accidentally or like miraculously surviving a toxic mushroom

Maria Sabina is the Mexican CC saint (though I don't know if she's officially recognized or a folk saint) of psilocybin mushrooms and associated augury and healing.

Tias fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 19, 2018

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

i didn't know there were folk saints of SMOKE WEED but i guess it makes sense

saint george appears to be patron of farmers, agricultural workers, and scouting (like boy/girl scouts), so that's pretty close

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tias posted:

Starting my early christianity course today, we've already talked about Desert Fathers and the Syrian church :getin:

Early Christianity (and 2nd Temple Judaism) both totally rule to study. The early church is fascinating because the traditions aren't set yet and no-one around them has any idea how to react to them. Like the Letter of Trajan to Pliny where they're like 'The hell are these guys, what do we do with them.'

Tias
May 25, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i didn't know there were folk saints of SMOKE WEED but i guess it makes sense

saint george appears to be patron of farmers, agricultural workers, and scouting (like boy/girl scouts), so that's pretty close

With shamans being the primary medium of medical care for more or less any kind of disease or injury you can think of in South America up until recent times, of course the greatest curers become saints in a syncretic movement. The mushrooms are just a tool in that respect.

Night10194 posted:

Early Christianity (and 2nd Temple Judaism) both totally rule to study. The early church is fascinating because the traditions aren't set yet and no-one around them has any idea how to react to them. Like the Letter of Trajan to Pliny where they're like 'The hell are these guys, what do we do with them.'

This sounds interesting, can you link me?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i found a paper i wrote that paul knitter thought was "sub undergraduate level writing," anyone wanna take a look?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Tias posted:

This sounds interesting, can you link me?

http://faculty.georgetown.edu/jod/texts/pliny.html

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
let everything that has breath praise the lord

(The young lions roar for their prey, seeking their food from God...the earth is filled with Thy creatures, so is this great and spacious sea, therein are things creeping innumerable, small living creatures with the great. There go the ships; there this dragon, whom Thou hast made to play therein...)

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
due to lack of interest here's the paper that paul knitter hated so much it killed my academic career; https://pastebin.com/LPtKFQMU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
My aunt’s husband died unexpectedly this afternoon. Please keep him (B.) my aunt (S.) and their 14 year old son (A.) in your prayers. Especially A., he has autism and has a very hard time expressing and processing emotion.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Thirteen Orphans posted:

My aunt’s husband died unexpectedly this afternoon. Please keep him (B.) my aunt (S.) and their 14 year old son (A.) in your prayers. Especially A., he has autism and has a very hard time expressing and processing emotion.

May he be free to feel what he feels, and in a way that's ultimately good and kind to him.

Senju Kannon posted:

due to lack of interest here's the paper that paul knitter hated so much it killed my academic career; https://pastebin.com/LPtKFQMU

Yikes. Why do you think he hated it?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Caufman posted:

Yikes. Why do you think he hated it?

There is a lot more personal experience discussion than you normally see in an academic paper, from my experience of academic papers, at least.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Epicurius posted:

There is a lot more personal experience discussion than you normally see in an academic paper, from my experience of academic papers, at least.

You see that a lot in more modern theological writings, Knitter himself writes in that style.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Thirteen Orphans posted:

You see that a lot in more modern theological writings, Knitter himself writes in that style.

Fair enough. I'm 20 years out of anything approaching academia, and most of the papers I tended to read and write dealt with the formation of national identity in the 19th/20th century, It doesn't lend itself to that kind of writing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I never read specifically theological writing but yeah the voice seemed way off for academic writing. The fact that your writing about the subject inherently shows interest. I'd say you need to do a better job divoricing yourself from the subject in the actual paper. I only read the first few paragraphs though.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Epicurius posted:

Fair enough. I'm 20 years out of anything approaching academia, and most of the papers I tended to read and write dealt with the formation of national identity in the 19th/20th century, It doesn't lend itself to that kind of writing.

A good friend of mine (History and Politics double major) was asked by my then girlfriend to give her paper a quick read through for clarity and punctuation. He came to he first instance of the word “I,” lost his mind, and I had to explain that in modern theological discourse, that’s status quo.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

Thirteen Orphans posted:

A good friend of mine (History and Politics double major) was asked by my then girlfriend to give her paper a quick read through for clarity and punctuation. He came to he first instance of the word “I,” lost his mind, and I had to explain that in modern theological discourse, that’s status quo.

I would lose my mind at that too, and I wasn't even a good college student.

Theology used to be fairly scientific, or at least adopt some of the outer forms like "never use the first person". Seriously, when did that change?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

My masters in Religious Studies was 5 years ago and I try to avoid ever using I in academic writing.