Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Koivunen posted:

Lock talk: we are in the process of buying a new house, and plan on replacing the locks as soon as it’s ours. What should we look for in terms of a secure, not-cheap deadbolt lock? The inspector recommended getting a number code lock since we will be having kids, and teaching kids a number combo is easier than giving them a key and having them potentially lose it. Are number pad locks in any way less secure than a key lock?

If you're going to be having kids in the future and don't have kids now, this is a problem that's many years down the road because they're not going to need a key/code/whatever until they're of an age to be coming and going by themselves. Odds are that whatever you get now will be outdated by the time you actually need it, so just get whatever you want right now and worry about how your kids let themselves in when that becomes an issue.

That aside, the main thing that locks prevent is crimes of opportunity. Anybody who really wants to get in is going to get in, end of story. With that in mind, I'm not a huge fan of number pad locks because it's so easy to be careless when punching it in and inadvertently give somebody else the key to your house without realizing that you did it, and knowing the key to your house gives them that opportunity. Somebody who wouldn't break a window or go to the work of copying your key may well just give into an impulse if they already know the code.

They're fine if you change the codes on the locks regularly and if you're willing to take reasonable precautions to be sure that people don't shoulder surf your combinations, but if you're not the kind of person who's going to keep up with that then I think they're more trouble than they're worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Yeah we definitely know that locks don’t prevent a break in, our house was broken into last year via a basement window being kicked in. The main reason we are moving is to get into a safer neighborhood. Good info so far, thanks!

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Ask your insurance company what lock they recommend. Nothing is going to keep a determined burglar out, but the insurance companies definitely have a handle on their statistics, and it might make a payout easier if the worst does happen.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Is there an online reference I can browse that will tell me whether or not a given name (especially non-English names) is more commonly a man's name or a woman's name?

E: This seems OK?
https://www.genderchecker.com

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Sep 17, 2018

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Is there an online reference I can browse that will tell me whether or not a given name (especially non-English names) is more commonly a man's name or a woman's name?

Probably run them by us to be sure though

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

syscall girl posted:

I'm helping my wife put together a mailing list for her startup and it's hundreds of name lol. Also some of the people who signed up didn't give their names, which is super. Fortunately if I can't figure them all out then it's no big deal.

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.

syscall girl posted:

?

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
I have a simple electrical question but since electricity is not to be trifled with, I want to be sure:

I saw a really nice electronic Ferris wheel for sale online and it says at the bottom: Output DC 6v 400ma and has one of those included AC adapters that's obviously going to be 110v (my country uses 220v).

My question is: If I have an AC adapter that's 220v and I set it to 6v, I should be able to run it right? Or will it explode and sputter smoke?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My work phone is on AT&T, and I've recently started receiving spam calls from my own number (spoofed, of course). Would there be any negative repercussions to blocking my own number?

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
This movie I watched for free on Amazon prime - Villmark 2/Dark Woods 2/Villmark Asylum, has a song playing over the intro credits, it's the first song that plays, and I really would love to know who it was performed by/what it's called, but as far as I can see it's not listed in the credits at all and searching for the soundtrack on youtube doesn't bring it up either. There's an original soundtrack that it doesn't seem part of and out of all the songs in the credits I can't see it there it either. The same song plays over the beginning of the end credits. Any ideas how I can track this down?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Disharmony posted:

I have a simple electrical question but since electricity is not to be trifled with, I want to be sure:

I saw a really nice electronic Ferris wheel for sale online and it says at the bottom: Output DC 6v 400ma and has one of those included AC adapters that's obviously going to be 110v (my country uses 220v).

My question is: If I have an AC adapter that's 220v and I set it to 6v, I should be able to run it right? Or will it explode and sputter smoke?

Yes, so long as the replacement AC adapter puts out the same DC voltage and at least as much current as the original adapter did, the device will work fine. Your adapter there looks to be able to support a whole 800 milliamp at 6 volts so that's fine.

Just make sure that the plug itself fits the device properly and the polarity is correct on the pin (some devices have the center pin negative, others positive, usually it will be labeled with a symbol on the device or its adapter).

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

ulex minor posted:

This movie I watched for free on Amazon prime - Villmark 2/Dark Woods 2/Villmark Asylum, has a song playing over the intro credits, it's the first song that plays, and I really would love to know who it was performed by/what it's called, but as far as I can see it's not listed in the credits at all and searching for the soundtrack on youtube doesn't bring it up either. There's an original soundtrack that it doesn't seem part of and out of all the songs in the credits I can't see it there it either. The same song plays over the beginning of the end credits. Any ideas how I can track this down?

Shazam

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Is it illegal in the USA to remove the batteries from my smoke alarm?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Digirat posted:

Be sure to update us when your home burns down.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Digirat posted:

It varies state by state, and it also might matter whether you're a homeowner, renter, student in a dorm, etc.

But seriously, don't ever go without a working smoke detector for longer than it takes to clear the smoke out of your kitchen.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Shifty Nipples posted:

Be sure to update us when your home burns down.

I didn’t know smoke alarms magically put out fires.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Digirat posted:

I didn’t know smoke alarms magically put out fires.

I'm not sure you understand the concept of these things.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Koivunen posted:

Yeah we definitely know that locks don’t prevent a break in, our house was broken into last year via a basement window being kicked in. The main reason we are moving is to get into a safer neighborhood. Good info so far, thanks!

Security is mostly an illusion. The main thing a lock does is say "I don't want you in here without a key." A determined person will get in anyway. A door isn't all that difficult to bash in and it's stupidly easy to smash in a window. Thing is, that makes noise and gets attention which somebody breaking in doesn't want. If there's property damage it makes it more obvious that a break in happened in the first place which makes it easier to convince the police to care. Well, unless you have the wrong zip code but that has nothing to do with security and more to do with how much America sucks.

The best piece of home security is a dog you don't cage when you're gone. Still not perfect but a burglar doesn't know the dog and isn't likely to risk getting bit even if it weights like 20 pounds.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I was thinking of exactly that video but couldn't find it so thank you for posting it.

bosnianbill is also a fun watch on locks. Over a thousand videos about good locks, about bad locks, and about how a guy who knows about locks tries to get past them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?bosnianbill

Apparently Master Lock has threatened to sue him multiple times but he just laughs it off and keeps saying they make lovely locks.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Answered!

value-brand cereal fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 20, 2018

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Could you not confide to your landlord / landlady that you think this is going on and feel very uncomfortable? Best case scenario, they evict the guy. Worst case scenario, they let you terminate your lease early so you can move out. It would be easier going to the landlord with concrete evidence, but like you said, it's hard to get that.

I wouldn't feel comfortable living in the same apartment as someone as creepy as that. I'd be stepping on eggshells constantly and not feeling safe in my own place. No thanks. I just feel bad for you and also a little disgusted that you gotta put up with that poo poo and have to settle for changing your locks so as not to cause an issue.

I'd be going full CSI mode if I was a woman and this was happening to me, I'd buy fingerprint dust and dusting objects in my room to prove he'd been touching poo poo that he shouldn't have access to.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Yeeesh. Get out of that apartment, or get that guy out. That’s INCREDIBLY creepy.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
what are the 'right' answers on the stupid personality questions you get when applying for jobs at a lot of places now? I just took one for USPS and I never really know what to say.

Once someone told me not to do very many strongly agree or disagree and I took that advice and stuck near the middle. But gently caress the questions that are like "which of these bugs you most or least" or whatever. Are you supposed to lie at poo poo like "I never get angry about anything ever in my life im a perfect serene butterfly"

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 18, 2018

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Often "personality tests" are just rebranded mental disorder tests to let companies discriminate against the mentally ill legally.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

they're dumb and you just have to cheese it and answer what you think the employer wants to hear. I was automatically rejected for a restock job at a supermarket because one of the questions was something along the lines of

"You're restocking shelves and a customer asks you for help finding an item. You're new to the job and aren't sure which aisle the item is on. Do you:
a) Take the customer to a more experienced member of staff and ask that staff member to help them find the product
b) Help the customer find the product in the right aisle
c) Tell the customer you're busy restocking"

I chose a) since that seemed the most appropriate? If I'm a customer, I hate when I ask for help finding something and the person spends 10 minutes trying to find it with me instead of just getting someone who knows the layout of the store better to help me find it in 30 seconds. I was rejected cause it shows a lack of initiative or "passing the buck". Not gonna lie, I remade accounts maybe 3 times until I knew how to cheese all the questions without getting rejected, cause once you fail you're unable to reapply. I got an interview for warehouse instead of restocking, was offered a job, but turned it down as the commute was something I realised would mess up my annual mileage. I was then automatically rejected over and over for restock positions.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 18, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Doorknob Slobber posted:

what are the 'right' answers on the stupid personality questions you get when applying for jobs at a lot of places now? I just took one for USPS and I never really know what to say.

Once someone told me not to do very many strongly agree or disagree and I took that advice and stuck near the middle. But gently caress the questions that are like "which of these bugs you most or least" or whatever. Are you supposed to lie at poo poo like "I never get angry about anything ever in my life im a perfect serene butterfly"

The best thing to do is lie your face off. "Why yes I am in fact a perfectly loyal employee who never gets angry, will do whatever the customer wants, and have never so much as taken even a pencil home from the office!" Some of the questions are also just plain sneaky ways to see how dishonest you potentially are. Like "This guy takes $100 out of the till before it's counted but always puts it back in before it is a few days later. Is this OK?" The answer to that is "no it isn't and I'd turn him in SO HARD."

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

You need to know what kind of person they are looking for and then amend your personality to match.

e.g. USPS is probably looking for a person who follows rules, is reliable and a sticker for honesty.

A sales role is probably going to want someone who is the opposite of that.

I once had:
'Sometimes is is okay to hit a colleague if they really deserve it'
Strongly agree.....Strongly disagree

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

I once had:
'Sometimes is is okay to hit a colleague if they really deserve it'
Strongly agree.....Strongly disagree

Strongly agree. What if they lose it and have started killing people? Out of the box thinking right there.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

value-brand cereal posted:

You make a good point. Frankly I'm going to be polite but excuse myself from his presence at every chance until this lease is up and I flee into the sunset.
If it were me, I wouldn't be waiting for the lease to end.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

C-Euro posted:

I threw a couple of Indian names at it and it was wrong three out of four times.

Edit: Ask us!

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

If it were me, I wouldn't be waiting for the lease to end.

What else is she gonna do, move out and still be liable for rent for who knows how many months left?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

spog posted:

e.g. USPS is probably looking for a person who follows rules, is reliable and a sticker for honesty.

Yeah they have a lot of questions about working independently which is something I'm used to and I feel like you should be if you're driving around delivering mail but I also am like well, what if they DONT want me to be a super independent employee? So yeah I hate those loving things I always feel like every question is a trick question.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Qubee posted:

What else is she gonna do, move out and still be liable for rent for who knows how many months left?

Let us not have the conversation about how Australia (or wherever) is the best place to live because they can't make you do that. Because we've had that conversation several times in this thread.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thank you both! I tried the paper slip, but will be getting some mechanical pencil lead to be extra certain on a daily basis. But I think it worked. I wedged it low to the ground, and out of sight so it wasn't sticking out in an obvious way, but visible if you knew where to look. I found it on the ground in my room, with some of my things shifted around. I'm really freaked out. :ohdear:

You're welcome and drat, sorry to hear the result was positive. Good luck getting out of there.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

All this talk about locks for homes/apartments has me wondering – if you don't have a lock on your house, or your door is left open or something, and someone is able to get into your home and steal stuff without actually having to "break in," would they be charged with a lesser crime?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

kedo posted:

All this talk about locks for homes/apartments has me wondering – if you don't have a lock on your house, or your door is left open or something, and someone is able to get into your home and steal stuff without actually having to "break in," would they be charged with a lesser crime?
No. Burglary is burglary. A classic burglar tactic is to go door to door until they find someone who left their house unlocked and just walk right in.

However, leaving your house unlocked might mean your home/apartment insurance won't cover your losses.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

kedo posted:

Theft is theft, end of story. Other than that I think it varies by state. Like it can be a home invasion instead of a burglary if somebody is home. To get the answer to that per where you are go look at the local laws. It might be a different charge it it might be burglary but without an accompanying charge of breaking and entering.

But yeah with walking in an unlocked building it might just be trespassing instead of breaking and entering but those vary by area. In any event I highly doubt just walking into somebody's house and taking their stuff is legal anywhere.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I didn't want to get e/n and blather on, but understandably this is a weird thing for someone to ask. So hopefully this will allay your fears of me secretly being the creepy room mate. The one thing that tipped me off is this: I have an old diamond ring my grandma gave me. It's not the prettiest because the metal is a darker gold and the diamond is small so you'd probably wouldn't guess it's diamond or particularly valuable. But it has sentimental value to me and I keep it in my jewelry box where it's safe with all my other expensive gold and silver jewelry. My jewelry box only has valuable pieces and is tucked beneath a handkerchief with a stack of books on top. It's hidden, out of the way and does not mix with my cheapo Forever 21 / h&m jewelries.

One day Creepy Room mate comes up to me and says 'oh you left your rings on the bathroom counter', which I don't make a habit of . Except it's not just the cheap H&M rings I wear, it's my grandma's diamond ring. There's no loving way I would leave that laying around, much less take it out of my jewelry box, ok? The last time I wore it was to my aunt's funeral two years ago. It had not been taken out of my jewelry box since.

Combined with comments about my sex toys nobody in the apartment can possible know and things moving around my room makes me think I need to never share an apartment with him ever again. I think he's trying to figure out how to flirt with me and also ingratiate himself with me?? He white, likes anime enough to have Chobits* posters visible from the hallway, and is kind of awkward around people. Which leads me to think he might have a some kind of crush on me, the single asian woman.

*They made cardcaptor sakura which showed on tv, back when tv still had saturday cartoons. 13 year old me adored the cute characters and little yellow flying cat :3: I know enough about CLAMP to recognize some works of theirs. I don't read anime anymore though. Too much of the stuff has uncomfortable, softcore pedophilia or racism. Also don't look up Chobits at work. The main costumes of the female character is either softcore lingerie, a t shirt, or ribbons. Actually saying I recognized Chobits posters might have been the start of all this. Goddamnit I hosed myself over and now I have to deal with this creep.
I've definitely seen some people post some things on here that show an unhealthy paranoia, and I just wanted to make sure we should be advising you on security instead of advising you to talk to someone. Dude seems hella creepy, though, might want to think about a safe deposit box for that jewelry.

If the landlord won't help, might want to get a consultation with a lawyer, see if there are any protections for you if you need to break the lease to leave.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

But yeah with walking in an unlocked building it might just be trespassing instead of breaking and entering but those vary by area. In any event I highly doubt just walking into somebody's house and taking their stuff is legal anywhere.

This is really what I was trying to get at. I assume a theft charge wouldn’t change, but was curious what “breaking and entering” becomes if there is no ”breaking.” Trespassing makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Gobbeldygook posted:

No. Burglary is burglary. A classic burglar tactic is to go door to door until they find someone who left their house unlocked and just walk right in.

However, leaving your house unlocked might mean your home/apartment insurance won't cover your losses.

The other thing about walking into a wide open house to grab someone's stuff versus forcing a lock open and then grabbing it, is that with the former you did just one crime where the latter poses much higher chances of you having to do additional crimes or open yourself up to additional counts of the same crime.

Depending on where you are, just grabbing like $100 of stuff might be a misdemeanor with a fine to pay and a short stint in local jail. Bashing down the door to grab the same thing, and you might have instantly brought yourself up to a felony and years in jail.