Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Use your custom map markers! Stuff you can’t get to now, but don’t want to forget about later, is what they’re there for.

If you’re only missing two mask shards, my first suspicion would be that you haven’t given Sly his key back (he sells two more once you do). If you’re fine on those, then you might be missing at least the one that’s the reward for the flower quest since that’s probably the biggest pain to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

skasion posted:

Use your custom map markers! Stuff you can’t get to now, but don’t want to forget about later, is what they’re there for.

If you’re only missing two mask shards, my first suspicion would be that you haven’t given Sly his key back (he sells two more once you do). If you’re fine on those, then you might be missing at least the one that’s the reward for the flower quest since that’s probably the biggest pain to get.

I’ve gotten those two already :(

The only things I know I haven’t done are the Trial of the Fool and the White Defender fight.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RCarr posted:

I’ve gotten those two already :(

The only things I know I haven’t done are the Trial of the Fool and the White Defender fight.

Neither of those give mask shards, unfortunately. At this point the only way to really be sure is to go through the list of mask shards one by one.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
After fighting NKG for hours I’m laughing at his babytown form in the Trial of the Sage. Feels like he’s fighting in slow motion.

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
Ok, I went back to it and made it through The White Palace. Yikes! Maybe I should make an attempt at Godmaster content?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Applewhite posted:

After fighting NKG for hours I’m laughing at his babytown form in the Trial of the Sage. Feels like he’s fighting in slow motion.

Hope you enjoy Trial of Hallownest in that case.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Applewhite posted:

I actually died to that because I was so accustomed to NKG that slow Grimm threw me off my rhythm hard.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Is it though? Maybe I'm just not spending enough time practicing the fight but it's still a pain in the rear end, I feel like there's no good time to hit him other than when he does the fire columns that follow you around. I also have no idea how to both dodge the bat(?) projectiles and still get a hit in during that attack.

Once you get the timing down every attack has opportunities to hit him apart from of course the cape pillars where he’s not visible. I also choose not to go for an attack when he does the ground lunge into five fireballs to make sure I don’t get hit.

Arrhythmia posted:

To be entirely fair, I think every boss except the last two hits that point in Godmaster.

Disagree slightly - I can see theoretically that you could get PV down to a pattern like NKG, though PV’s thing is even tighter timing and a few tricks that can throw you off (the exploding circles; the spike pillars jump; getting you stuck in a corner). I’d also say GPZ is impossible to “figure out” 100% due to his randomness - I don’t personally have trouble with him (in part thanks to quick focus and Umm) but I know others do.

Also Markoth sucks a lot.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

BBJoey posted:

Once you get the timing down every attack has opportunities to hit him apart from of course the cape pillars where he’s not visible. I also choose not to go for an attack when he does the ground lunge into five fireballs to make sure I don’t get hit.

You can get a pretty safe hit on that one by dashing away from him when he appears, then turning around and slapping him after he's done charging but before he jumps.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I Said No posted:

You can get a pretty safe hit on that one by dashing away from him when he appears, then turning around and slapping him after he's done charging but before he jumps.

Now that you mention it that's actually exactly what I do for that attack, and the knockback from that hit is important to getting the position to avoid the fireballs right, so no idea what I was talking about.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

BBJoey posted:

Also Markoth sucks a lot.

Truth

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
Just beat Failed Champion. It was so frustrating at first, but once it clicked it was the most satisfying fight that I've had. I used spiders, razor dash and floaty shield to help out. I never use the weird charms so it was fun.

Finished White Palace tonight too! It took about 45 minutes. I'm at 92% at 19 hours, now I wish I was more efficient for the achievement. I quit my first playthrough at 42 hours, 82%. I'll definitely end up playing through this game a third time. This is my favorite game that I've played in years.

Squashy fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 19, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah NKG was one of those bosses that fricaseed me pretty much instantly about 40 times, and as soon as I learned his moves enough to survive and get some hits in I beat him fairly soon after. I was honestly a little disappointed that he didn't have some kind of extra form or wrinkle, but he's so fast and tough that I suppose that isn't really rational.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
The last mask shard I picked up was the Crawling Mawlek one. I just totally missed that side spur.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Do you mean the Brooding Mawlek?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

split the difference, brawling mawlek

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I do mean Brooding Mawlek, yes. The one in the Crossroads.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
gently caress you, Grubfather! He ate the babies!!!!!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Nanigans posted:

its only a cocoon

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
no, that's his final form.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Just finally started playing this the other week and I love it. A few questions as I'm trying to avoid using a guide but also have some things I'm curious about. Mid-game is all I'm at so that's what the spoilers cover up to.

I've gotten 2 nail upgrades, 2 magic(?) bar upgrades, and 2 or 3 mask/health bar upgrades. I can dash, wall jump, ground pound, double jump and swim through acid right now.

1. Is it worth it using a Simple Key to open up the Sewers from the City of Tears if I've already accessed it another way? They seem rare and I've been hoarding them. Also been wondering if I should use a key on the house all the way to the right in Dirtmouth.

2. I killed a Knight to get a double jump, but his corpse is still there and if I Dream Nail it I go to the same fight except it seems harder. Is this something I should come back for later or is it doable now?

3. How do you cross those inky black barriers like the one in Fog Canyon? I can hear the map guy humming on the other side but can't figure out a way to cross.

4. Deepnest. loving Deepnest. :gonk: I went there I think way too early after I fell down a pit (I didn't have any nail/mask/magic upgrades and only had a dash). Was that way too early? I'm terrified of going back because of those spiders with the mask that take forever to kill.

5. I've been hunting down these Grimm phantom things and now the guy in the red tent at the main hub challenges me to a fight whenever I go in and immediately kicks my rear end. Should I wait for later or is this a winnable fight?

6. In the Colosseum of Fools, is the last challenge worth doing and if so do I need to wait to do it or can I do it now?

7. I just got the King's Key thing after fighting the lady with the needle for a second time but I have no idea where to go. Any hints? I already did the bee level and got a health regen charm out of it.

8. Forgotten Crossroads is all hosed up and covered with orange stuff and I can't figure out how to make it go away. Is the solution somewhere in the Crossroads or should I keep on playing and stop trying to figure out a way to fix it?

9. Is there anything missable or that I should make sure I do before a point of no return?

10. Any other tips/tricks/hints? Recommended boss charm loadouts? I've been going with longnail + grimm charm + quick charge

Thanks everyone for any help/answers you can give!

My favorite part so far definitely was the Soul Sanctum in City of Tears. Really suspenseful music and a great boss fight. Did not expect the victory over him to be fake and for him to have a second secret form

Oh and one last thing, why's the Memorial to the Hollow Knight not look like the player character? I thought the player character was the Hollow Knight, thus the name of the game. Am I missing something?

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 18, 2018

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

For above:

1) There are enough keys for every lock in the game. No need to hoard them.

2) It's an optional fight, winning it will give you a ton of Essence. There's other fights like it as well. Seek them out if you want to.

3) The power to do so is related to the King's Brand you got in question 7.

4) It's a hard area but you can mess around there any time. I actually liked that those surprise spiders took so many hits because it easily let me refill my magic to heal with. :shobon:

5) It's winnable but it's hard. It was added DLC content, so it was made for more experienced players in mind. (It also gets worse.)

6) If you care about the glory of being a fool, you can do it.

7) It's somewhere very deep and old in the kingdom...

8) It's not fixable.

9) The only "missable" thing is an ending you get if you fight the final boss before getting a certain thing. Otherwise this game is very, very good about not locking you out of anything.

10) It's up to preference, if you find something that works for you there's no need to change it!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Alxprit posted:

For above:

1) There are enough keys for every lock in the game. No need to hoard them.

2) It's an optional fight, winning it will give you a ton of Essence. There's other fights like it as well. Seek them out if you want to.

3) The power to do so is related to the King's Brand you got in question 7.

4) It's a hard area but you can mess around there any time. I actually liked that those surprise spiders took so many hits because it easily let me refill my magic to heal with. :shobon:

5) It's winnable but it's hard. It was added DLC content, so it was made for more experienced players in mind. (It also gets worse.)

6) If you care about the glory of being a fool, you can do it.

7) It's somewhere very deep and old in the kingdom...

8) It's not fixable.

9) The only "missable" thing is an ending you get if you fight the final boss before getting a certain thing. Otherwise this game is very, very good about not locking you out of anything.

10) It's up to preference, if you find something that works for you there's no need to change it!

Thanks for these, they were really helpful! Glad to know that the only thing that's missable is an ending. I assume there's a new game+ so you can go back and get it?

Also I can't believe this is only $15 on the Switch. I've been playing on Steam but I got the Switch version just because that's such an incredible deal. Wish I could transfer my save over though.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

axeil posted:

Thanks for these, they were really helpful! Glad to know that the only thing that's missable is an ending. I assume there's a new game+ so you can go back and get it?

Also I can't believe this is only $15 on the Switch. I've been playing on Steam but I got the Switch version just because that's such an incredible deal. Wish I could transfer my save over though.

No new game+ but if you choose to beat the final boss (should be pretty obvious to you where to do that) after the credits roll you’ll start on the bench right outside and can go back out and explore more of the world. Go beat the boss at least once to get the scrub ending, it adds a map completion percentage tracker. Then keep exploring to find the true ending, etc.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Nanigans posted:

Did he eat the babies? Or are they eating him?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

axeil posted:

Oh and one last thing, why's the Memorial to the Hollow Knight not look like the player character? I thought the player character was the Hollow Knight, thus the name of the game. Am I missing something?

You are missing something.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Faced the Sisters of Battle for the first time tonight. They're kicking my rear end but drat are they fun to fight! I love those fierce gals.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Is the whole Godmaster mode essentially just an elaborate boss rush mode with little bits of game lore added in? There's really no additional content in the form of items or whatnot, right?

Aside from the challenge of beating a bunch of hard bosses, it doesn't seems too different from the Colosseum, and with no tangible rewards (aside from the satisfaction of doing it...) I think I'll skip this for now.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Nanigans posted:

Is the whole Godmaster mode essentially just an elaborate boss rush mode with little bits of game lore added in? There's really no additional content in the form of items or whatnot, right?

Aside from the challenge of beating a bunch of hard bosses, it doesn't seems too different from the Colosseum, and with no tangible rewards (aside from the satisfaction of doing it...) I think I'll skip this for now.

More or less. The biggest content in there is that there's a total of seven new bosses and a new ending.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I wish we got the Abyss bosses

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Nanigans posted:

You can do single refights against old bosses too (rather than re-fighting them in a sequence) and with variable difficulty but I haven't gotten far enough to say if it rewards you for beating enough of them.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Looking at Kickstarter page, lol they were going to make Zote a playable character.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C-Euro posted:

You can do single refights against old bosses too (rather than re-fighting them in a sequence) and with variable difficulty but I haven't gotten far enough to say if it rewards you for beating enough of them.

You get to see a statute of the knight and you get a journal entry when you beat them all. if you beat them on higher difficulties, the statute and the entry change

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Beat the game! Managed to kill The Hollow Knight on my first try :stare:.

What the gently caress was the plot though? Seriously I'm really confused.

So the ending seemed like Dark Souls with the player character as the Hollow from Dark Souls 1 and the Hollow Knight as Gwynn and you end up with the Light the Fire ending. But uh, I still have no idea what the hell was going on other than that.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

axeil posted:

It's almost as if... it was too easy...

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axeil posted:

So the ending seemed like Dark Souls with the player character as the Hollow from Dark Souls 1 and the Hollow Knight as Gwynn and you end up with the Light the Fire ending. But uh, I still have no idea what the hell was going on other than that.

Long story short, speculation kept to a minimum:

Long ago, The Radiance rules over the lands of Hallownest. The Pale King appears and takes over rulership. The Radiance starts appearing in people's dreams. This annoys the Pale King. He creates a creature from the Abyss, the Hollow Knight, to contain the Radiance. He also creates you during this, the Knight. The Hollow Knight contains the Radiance inside himself. The Pale King then disappears, and the Hollow Knight starts to weaken and the Radiance starts to leak back out. At some point in this, you leave the kingdom and then return, which brings us to the opening of the game. The ending you got has you kill the Hollow Knight, and take the Radiance inside of yourself.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Sep 21, 2018

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Arrhythmia posted:

Long story short, speculation kept to a minimum:

Long ago, The Radiance rules over the lands of Hallownest. The Pale King appears and takes over rulership. The Radiance starts appearing in people's dreams. This annoys the Pale King. He creates a creature from the Abyss, the Hollow Knight, to contain the Radiance. He also creates you during this, the Knight. The Hollow Knight contains the Radiance inside himself, and the Pale King disappears. The Pale King then disappears, and the Hollow Knight starts to weaken and the Radiance starts to leak back out. At some point in this, you leave the kingdom and then return, which brings us to the opening of the game. The ending you got has you kill the Hollow Knight, and take the Radiance inside of yourself.

So wait...when the Dreamers trap the Knight in the Dream World and that moth? thing? rescues you...that's the Radiance? Makes it seem like the Radiance is good and should be freed, meaning the Knight replacing the Hollow Knight is a bad ending, just like linking the fire in Dark Souls.

So I get the sense I didn't really finish the game. The credits said I had 91% completion though, so I'm not sure what I missed.

Time to open up a guide?

axeil fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Sep 20, 2018

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

axeil posted:

So wait...when the Dreamers trap the Knight in the Dream World and that moth? thing? rescues you...that's the Radiance? Makes it seem like the Radiance is good and should be freed, meaning the Knight replacing the Hollow Knight is a bad ending, just like linking the fire in Dark Souls.

So I get the sense I didn't really finish the game. The credits said I had 91% completion though, so I'm not sure what I missed.

The moth thing that rescues you is just the moth you wake up next to. The moths were loyal (to some degree) to the Radiance. You will recognize the Radiance when you meet it, the game is not subtle about who it is.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

axeil posted:

It’s all a little esoteric, but there’s lots more plot stuff you haven’t dug up yet. Suffice to say that ending is only one of a few, and there may be a lot more stuff you haven’t come across yet that will get you more plot info!

By the skin of my TEETH I finally managed to beat the Trial of the Fool with one mask left. I was so nervous fighting God Tamer agh. I’d otherwise 100%ed the game so I actually went on to the Godmaster stuff hoping to just skip the Trial, but then found out I had to beat it to progress. :black101:

I am completely not a ‘enjoys difficult games/boss rushes’ person but these are fun as all hell. The room where you can fight any boss in the game as many times as you want is amazing. It’s also crazy how many bosses I can now beat easily that really frazzled me when I was first starting out. I’m completely embarrassed at how many times Hornet v1 took me apart, and now it’s so easy to walk right through her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

axeil posted:

Time to open up a guide?

Yep! Now to go for the true ending. Follow Alxprit's answer to your question #7 if you haven't already. Also, how much dream essence have you collected?