Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Yup, no matter how good my credit got, Credit Karma never stops yelling at me to get more accounts because they really want you to have 10+ or something dumb. It's a number that doesn't ever really make sense unless you are someone professionally churning cards (is that thing still?) or you are in your 50s and have already had a dozen different loans and cards used and paid in your history.

They are really bad about not telling you that while getting 10+ accounts would help you (a little, because its a minor factor) all the associated changes will hurt you much more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
I don't know the scale that Mint has, but it seems like it may be close to Credit Karma. That isn't 24 credit cards though. It's counting my paid off student loans, my mortgage, current and old car loans, etc. . . .

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Ashcans posted:

Yup, no matter how good my credit got, Credit Karma never stops yelling at me to get more accounts because they really want you to have 10+ or something dumb. It's a number that doesn't ever really make sense unless you are someone professionally churning cards (is that thing still?) or you are in your 50s and have already had a dozen different loans and cards used and paid in your history.

They are really bad about not telling you that while getting 10+ accounts would help you (a little, because its a minor factor) all the associated changes will hurt you much more!

EDIT: Forgot what thread this was.

Verus fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 18, 2018

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Verus posted:

You can't order 100k in quarters every month from the treasury and pocket the rewards anymore, but in the last 3 years my churning has gotten me a few thousand in cash and 4 international vacations (for two people; Indonesia, Indonesia, Thailand, Japan). ~30 open accounts and ~10 closed from the past 3 years. Credit score is around 770.

wow, how interesting, tell us more

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9gtayy/young_and_dumb_how_to_get_my_debt_under_control/ posted:

Young and dumb - How to get my debt under control now

A year ago, I was doing (imo) extremely well and being responsible with my debt. At 22, i had an okay credit score of ~730 and managed to pay the $100-$200 I would rack up in monthly debt off on time with no problem.

This will be.long winded to explain the whole situation, so apologies. TLDR down below. This all started when I had to take my late dog Raleigh to the ER late at night. Having no money saved up to pay the bill, I put it on a card. This happened with him a week before I was set to go on vacation and seeing as how the vet chalked it up to him being okay, I went on vacation as planned and incurred a little more debt. A few days after I got back, Raleigh was exhibiting the same signs and being very scared for him, i took him to the ER once again given this was about 4 am and it was my only choice. Vet tells me hes now concerned and my dog is taken to a vet clinic with a neurology department where they find a cyst in the left part of his brain that has a 10% chance of actually being removed even if they can operate. Long story short, I leave without a dog and have about $3,500 worth of debt.

Fast forward closer to the present, I have had an "existential crisis" that has led to me quitting my job, and spending sround $4000 to a trip to Japan, where I am currently residing. I'm still unsure if this was self-sabotage in a lack of caring for myself or a genuine desire to lay it out on the table and gamble with fixing my life and starting new, but im now beginning to see it was the former.

I find myself with about $10,000 worth of debt (and rising due to no more money in my checking account), no job and very little hope in coming back from this one. Yes, i know im dumb. I could use any input that you guys can provide. I am already putting in applications for a new place of employment for when I go back home to America in about a week.

TL:DR: ER visits and impulsive spending has me in about $10,000 worth of debt with no job (yet) to help with payment.

Dont know if its important, but a little info that may help: Have three credit cards at the moment, two with debt. Credit card one has $6,500 of debt (used for almost all of my purchases, terrible idea) card two has around $500 worth of debt and is being used to pull money out of the ATMs in Japan since I cant use my checking. All other debt is from a loan I incurred to get a lower interest rate on some debt previously charged to card one. Furthermore, my bank is asking for a minimum payment of $1,000 due on October 10th or else they will add an additional $1,000 to the card.

Losing a dog really sucks, but I'm not sure how you decide to move to Japan with no job after that.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Step 1: Go home and find a job.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Verus posted:

You can't order 100k in quarters every month from the treasury and pocket the rewards anymore, but in the last 3 years my churning has gotten me a few thousand in cash and 4 international vacations (for two people; Indonesia, Indonesia, Thailand, Japan). ~30 open accounts and ~10 closed from the past 3 years. Credit score is around 770.

What's the short and sweet on how it works? The one guy I know who does it is kind of a moron so I always wrote it off as a Bad Idea

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

What's the short and sweet on how it works? The one guy I know who does it is kind of a moron so I always wrote it off as a Bad Idea

Good question to ask in the credit card thread.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Good question to ask in the credit card thread.

Calm down. Credit card churning is literally always BWM and i was trying to goad some OC out of this guy.

Inept posted:

wow, how interesting, tell us more

Whiny Baby is not a good look on either of you. Push the Report button but don't gum up the thread with these boring :qq: posts please.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Calm down. Credit card churning is literally always BWM and i was trying to goad some OC out of this guy.

I don't know what your precise definition of churning is but taking advantage of handsome credit card sign-up bonuses and optimizing point accumulation and redemption is definitely not BWM.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I don't know what your precise definition of churning is but taking advantage of handsome credit card sign-up bonuses and optimizing point accumulation and redemption is definitely not BWM.

It’s BWM imo if it leads you to buying poo poo you wouldn’t otherwise.

Whatever it does to your credit score is meaningless if you’re not in the market for a new mortgage :shrug:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Baxate posted:

Ding Ding Ding!!!

Spending goes up, up, up. That $500 signup bonus goes toward a $1,000 impulse buy, you end up using the same credit utilization but on a higher total balance, etc.

The real Churners don't just sign up for a card or two and call it a day. They get into some goofy spending behavior in the name of Rewards

Verus posted:

it's not a big deal.

Agreed that it's not a big deal, but in the same way that... playing a round of roulette isn't a big deal. Those who are drawn to it are often completely sucked into it.

GoGoGadgetChris fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 18, 2018

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Baxate posted:

Whatever it does to your credit score is meaningless if you’re not in the market for a new mortgage :shrug:

If someone has no self-control, or if they don't understand that spending 3,000 bucks on poo poo you wouldn't otherwise buy just to get a bonus is a bad deal, then getting more than one or two credit cards is a really great way to dig yourself into a hole. Same thing if you're planning on getting a mortgage anytime soon.

Otherwise it's not a big deal.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ding Ding Ding!!!

Spending goes up, up, up. That $500 signup bonus goes toward a $1,000 impulse buy, you end up using the same credit utilization but on a higher total balance, etc.

The real Churners don't just sign up for a card or two and call it a day. They get into some goofy spending behavior in the name of Rewards

I mean okay, but that sounds like it could apply to anything. Coupons and sales are BWM if you buy things you don't need/wouldn't have bought otherwise just to get the savings.

That doesn't make them inherently BWM, like I don't do it because it sounds boring, but I'm sure there are people who successfully focus on reducing their total out-of-pocket rather than on maximizing rewards for their own sake.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

No True Churner

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Ah, gotcha, gotcha. Gotcha. You never know when some weirdo is going to write a page and a half about how his engagement fell through due to a proposed churning clause in the prenup etc.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Ah, gotcha, gotcha. Gotcha. You never know when some weirdo is going to write a page and a half about how his engagement fell through due to a proposed churning clause in the prenup etc.

I'll keep my eyes peeled!!

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Whiny Baby is not a good look on either of you. Push the Report button but don't gum up the thread with these boring :qq: posts please.

:ironicat:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Wherein a our hero accepts a "100% commission based job" that quickly turns into indentured servitude, but it's OK because the CEO seems like a swell guy and he's part of the family now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9gsz10/incredibly_lost_i_just_dont_know_what_to_do/

Sorry I'm on mobile and I just dont know where else to turn to. Sorry for bad formatting.

Using a throwaway for this I just dont know what to do. I'm currently working at a 100% commission based job and it's been about 3 months and I've made zero money. Yes, thankfully i haven't been fired yet because of the super high turnover rate. I'm currently living with a manager in his spare room so I dont have to worry about rent or any type of bills for that matter. But he said he'd only give me 2 months until I had to start.

I only have $3.82 82 cents in my bank account and 3 dollars cash. I'm only able to eat once a day when my manager makes dinner and he offers me a plate.

I am unable to get a 2nd job as I dont have my own transportation or enough for the bus fare. And I doubt my manager would be thrilled about giving me a lift to work.

In 3 weeks my first sale will close and I'll have money I just don't know how I can survive until then with what I have.

Edit: to fix font Edit 2: just to say what I do I'm a door to door roof salesman that makes 10% commission. And the industry average usually being 15k per roof. Every deal that I've had so far for some reason or another has just fallen through. For example a customer of mine had his baby prematurely and the baby was born at like 2 pounds. I've been unlucky and my boss sees that and helps me out in any way that he can. And I do live in an area where there are tons of hail and wind storms a year Edit 3: I do believe it is a legit sales job and my employers know I can do the job very well I've just had a string of bad luck. And before I just moved in with my manager the ceo paid my rent for like 2 months. This is not a mlm scam as I didn't have to pay any money to join the company. I've met the CEOs family and it is a family owned and operated business and so far I've been treated as family

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Hah, would hate to be in that guys family if one plate of leftovers a day is his idea of being treated like family.

Also, 100% commission job cash flow is a solved problem in non-scams, and it's called a "draw against commission".

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
There's warning signs and giant run dumbass signs surrounding that guy. He's basically thrown 3 months of possible pay away and god knows how much money he did have for what sounds like a good old boys scam business. Even if the roof part is true I bet the salesman were putting roofs on between hustling new sales.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You ain't gotta do a big thing man, just dip out for like 25, 30 minutes when the thread is annoyed at ya. It moves fast and people forget

Buddy just spent $4,600 on surgery for a kitten. Sad but BWM. Did it because his kids were sad but I think they'd have fonder memories of a week in Disneyland

I once chatted with someone who did statistical analyses for Disney, and apparently they've worked out that the average Disney fan will spend around $100K on the franchise over their lifetime.

So a week in Disneyland is potentially very BWM for your kids.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I once chatted with someone who did statistical analyses for Disney, and apparently they've worked out that the average Disney fan will spend around $100K on the franchise over their lifetime.

What do they mean by “average Disney fan”? My kid liked Frozen, is she doomed?

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
It's bad that I would rather read JS posts in this thread than GGGC's isn't it?

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Subjunctive posted:

What do they mean by “average Disney fan”? My kid liked Frozen, is she doomed?

I forget the definition, but my vague recollection was that it was something more like "has visited Disneyland/world at least once".

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

canyoneer posted:

Hah, would hate to be in that guys family if one plate of leftovers a day is his idea of being treated like family.

Also, 100% commission job cash flow is a solved problem in non-scams, and it's called a "draw against commission".

No, no, you don't understand. Even though I haven't made a dollar and live on someone's floor eating their leftovers whenever they deign to give me some, the jokes on them. They haven't fired me yet. :smugbert:

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I forget the definition, but my vague recollection was that it was something more like "has visited Disneyland/world at least once".

loving hell, Disneyland's gotten expensive

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I totally believe that statistic. I have some acquaintances through work & family that are full-grown adults that go to Disneyland/world at least twice a year, and they don't live anywhere near the parks so they fly+hotel it every time.

I know multiple couples like this, some with kids some without. Disneyland is their vacation, they don't really travel otherwise. I imagine that the cost is pretty bonkers.

I don't get it.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Dropping $100,000 on Disney seems easy, since like... 90% of good kid's movies and 25% of good adult's movies are Disney.

I doubt that being a Disney Fan causes you to spend money you wouldn't otherwise spend though. Kids need clothes and toys!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup

Guinness posted:

I totally believe that statistic. I have some acquaintances through work & family that are full-grown adults that go to Disneyland/world at least twice a year, and they don't live anywhere near the parks so they fly+hotel it every time.

I know multiple couples like this, some with kids some without. Disneyland is their vacation, they don't really travel otherwise. I imagine that the cost is pretty bonkers.

I don't get it.

My manager and his wife went a few weeks ago where they spent $84 on their first morning's breakfast, which he described as a buffet of food that tasted like it sat there since the morning prior.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Does Disneyland have tons of different restaurants or something? I hear some people just absolutely gush over how great it is, but others make it sound like a Denny's buffet

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Does Disneyland have tons of different restaurants or something? I hear some people just absolutely gush over how great it is, but others make it sound like a Denny's buffet

You can eat in a restaurant that's inside the cavernous Pirates of the Caribbean ride and watch the ancient, faded "boat" carts go by on their track on the super-chlorinated wastewater. Fake swamp sounds are piped in to complete the experience. This is considered a premium dining experience. It features $30 sandwiches.

Menu: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/blue-bayou-restaurant/menus/

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I feel like Denny's buffet would be gwm until you get the hospital bill

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Dropping $100,000 on Disney seems easy, since like... 90% of good kid's movies and 25% of good adult's movies are Disney.

I doubt that being a Disney Fan causes you to spend money you wouldn't otherwise spend though. Kids need clothes and toys!

But you're probably paying a premium to get Frozen Princess instead of Generic Princess.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Every household with a cable/satellite subscription that includes ESPN is kicking $7-10 a month to Disney.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

totalnewbie posted:

But you're probably paying a premium to get Frozen Princess instead of Generic Princess.

Lol, I have no doubt that's true, but would you ever really suggest somebody get their kid the Orson The Snow Friend t-shirt to save a couple bucks??

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Depends - do they make under or over $100,000/year?

But seriously, if we're talking GWM/BWM, paying more for "the same thing" is always BWM, right? But like you said...

So at the end of the day, the GWM move is to never foster a love for anything in your children with a brand and make sure that the only joy they know is from unbranded hoops and sticks.

Okay, wasn't that serious.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Epcot has like 50 different restaurants, most with their own country-themed cuisines, it's kinda cool.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Budgie posted:

Epcot has like 50 different restaurants, most with their own country-themed cuisines, it's kinda cool.

My friend had a wedding at Disney World. Epcot was not only cool, but also the most reasonably priced part of the whole thing. Never go to Disney Village holy heck.

Dustoph posted:

It's bad that I would rather read JS posts in this thread than GGGC's isn't it?

Nah, I totally agree

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Vox Nihili posted:

You can eat in a restaurant that's inside the cavernous Pirates of the Caribbean ride and watch the ancient, faded "boat" carts go by on their track on the super-chlorinated wastewater. Fake swamp sounds are piped in to complete the experience. This is considered a premium dining experience. It features $30 sandwiches.

Menu: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/dining/disneyland/blue-bayou-restaurant/menus/

ah hem, the water at Disney is not chlorinated. That is why it smells magical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

At Disney World there's a AAA 5 diamond coat required but they'll give you one if you don't have it restaurant called Victoria and Albert's. There's a ton of restaurants running from OK fast food for $20/person to Victoria and Albert's for $300-500/person

The restaurant on top of the Contemporary is pretty awesome for sunsets and Magic Kingdom fireworks