Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Doctor Malaver posted:

It was my first big trip and I made the rookie mistake of trying to see the entire museum. By the time I got to Goya I was already exhausted. But even now with more experience, I don't like huge museums. I've been to Pergamon, The Met, British Museum, Rijksmuseum, and none of them were highlights of my trips.

Also lol at saying that living statues having nothing to do with the city, while recommending that I see Bosch in Madrid.

Madrid is the only place where you can see the Garden of Earthly delights, so it is definitely unique to the city. Living statues and caricaturists are identical everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
To be fair, although the works inside the Prado are amazing, the actual experience of visiting the Prado is a nightmare and there are at least five museums I much prefer in Madrid alone.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

PT6A posted:

To be fair, although the works inside the Prado are amazing, the actual experience of visiting the Prado is a nightmare and there are at least five museums I much prefer in Madrid alone.

Oh hey I was hoping you'd pop up again, what would you recommend to flush out ~10 days (leaving 20 Oct) in Andalucia? We're flying in and out of Malaga, heading directly to Granada to spend a day at the Alhambra then the other must do on our list is Cordoba and the Mezquita. We'll have a car but we want to take it maximum chill so the wife already nixed my plan of 2 nights in those two cities plus Seville and Cadiz. Maybe we'll do one of those places but we will probably just build a list of things to do and then just take each day as it comes, booking hotels on the road after we leave Granada.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

PT6A posted:

Because it's busy? I haven't been there in a while, what's so bad about it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

greazeball posted:

Oh hey I was hoping you'd pop up again, what would you recommend to flush out ~10 days (leaving 20 Oct) in Andalucia? We're flying in and out of Malaga, heading directly to Granada to spend a day at the Alhambra then the other must do on our list is Cordoba and the Mezquita. We'll have a car but we want to take it maximum chill so the wife already nixed my plan of 2 nights in those two cities plus Seville and Cadiz. Maybe we'll do one of those places but we will probably just build a list of things to do and then just take each day as it comes, booking hotels on the road after we leave Granada.

I'm a big fan of Jerez de la Frontera, it's a lot more off the beaten track so things are neither particularly busy nor expensive.

Shibawanko posted:

Because it's busy? I haven't been there in a while, what's so bad about it?

Mainly because it's busy, yes. I find it detracts from my ability to enjoy a museum when you constantly need to jostle for position and deal with a bunch of people coming in and out of the various rooms like the museum is some kind of a scavenger hunt and the best way to see it is to spend three seconds looking at all the most famous pieces. But that's just me, for other people perhaps it is a less aggravating experience. For what it's worth, I felt the same about the Alhambra. Crowds bother me.

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

greazeball posted:

Just spent 3 days in Málaga and 3 in Madrid this summer... I highly recommend hiking in El Chorro if that interests you. It was stunningly beautiful and we were the only ones on the trail. We also did day trips to Segovia (go! go! go!) and Toledo (it was fine, and the saying "you dont explore Toledo, you hike it" was accurate). Seville was fantastic and beautiful even though we only spent one night there.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

greazeball posted:

Check out Ronda and Frigliana. Both are on the tourist trail but shouldn’t be too bad in October.

I’d recommend not skipping Seville either, it’s one of my favourite cities and there’s heaps to see and do.

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer

SgtScruffy posted:

Work is sending me to Brussels for a week! I'm going to have a day or two in the city where I won't be working (and evenings to grab a drink/dinner). It seems the general advice of this thread so far has been "Skip Brussels, it's boring", which is probably fair, but I'll be there for a conference for work, so are there any recommendations you all have in terms of places to eat or things to do other than Mannekin Piss? Or should I just buy the Rick Steve's guide and just consider that to be solid enough?

Also, is Uber A Thing there? The main thing I'd want to do outside of the city is the Jean Claude Van Damme statue, which seems to be in the middle of a road somewhere, so I'd need a way to get out there and back, if I didn't want to wait on a bus

Brussels is awesome. I've been working in the city for over ten years now and although it's not as pretty as Ghent or Bruges, it does offer some great places to visit. The Grand Place is beautiful, but go there early in the morning.

Skip Manneke Pis and don't buy your chocolates in the shops around that tourist trap. Walking through the streets around the pissing boy statue and discovering the street art and bars is a better idea.

Mont des Arts (Kunstberg) offers you a stunning view over the heart of the city. Have a drink on top of the Musical Instruments Museum. The service sucks, but the view is amazing. Walk to the Palais de Justice and go inside. You can visit the main hall. Go shopping on Avenue Louise if you've got the money.

Go to the European quarter at lunchtime, it has good food and you'll hear as many languages as there are tables in the restaurant. I suggest the fish restaurant Mer Du Nord (near Place Lux, although I prefer their restaurant near place Saint Catherine).

Brussels has nice parks, but don't go there at night. I think you can still climb to the top of the arch in the parc du cinquantenaire, but they might have closed it after the terror attacks.

Visit Brussels like a Brusseleir and you'll love it.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

I'm off on a last minute week long holiday to Georgia (they're in UEFA and Eurovision, they're European). Can anyone whose been tell me if this itinerary looks good/possible (yes it's one of those posts):

Monday: Arrive in Kutaisi at midnight, take bus to Tbilisi at 1:00, arrive in Tbilisi at 6:00 (ish). Drop bags off in hostel, chill day doing some light wandering.
Tuesday: Explore Tbilisi
Wednesday: Day trip to Gori/Uplistsikhe and Mstkheta (may cut Gori depending). Night train from Tbilisi at 21:45, arriving at Zugdidi Station at 6:00
Thursday: Minibus to Mestia from Zugdidi Station, arriving whenever. Afternoon (hopefully) in Mestia, check into guesthouse.
Friday: Hiking around Mestia.
Saturday: Minibus to Kutaisi hopefully arriving in the afternoon.
Sunday: Fly out from Kutaisi early afternoon.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

PT6A posted:

I'm a big fan of Jerez de la Frontera, it's a lot more off the beaten track so things are neither particularly busy nor expensive.

Man I really want to go sherry tasting but my wife doesn't drink so she's not really interested in a bunch of rushing around so I can drink something with notes of chocolate and leather. She's keener on the idea of Cadiz, but she's far keener on leaving the western part of Andalucia for another trip. Just FYI, we almost pulled the trigger on a Basque holiday earlier this year, that's still on our list.

Betazoid posted:

Just spent 3 days in Málaga and 3 in Madrid this summer... I highly recommend hiking in El Chorro if that interests you. It was stunningly beautiful and we were the only ones on the trail. We also did day trips to Segovia (go! go! go!) and Toledo (it was fine, and the saying "you dont explore Toledo, you hike it" was accurate). Seville was fantastic and beautiful even though we only spent one night there.

El Chorro looks pretty cool, thanks for the tip. Has anyone been to the thermal baths around there?

webmeister posted:

Check out Ronda and Frigliana. Both are on the tourist trail but shouldn’t be too bad in October.

I’d recommend not skipping Seville either, it’s one of my favourite cities and there’s heaps to see and do.

I had noted Ronda because I had been looking at hiking in Grazalema so we may just do that little loop and like I said, save Seville and Jerez and Cadiz for another time. Related to the thermal baths, we'd like to mix city exploration, a couple of major tourist destinations (already mentioned in my OP), some hiking or outdoorsy stuff and then a couple days of relaxing either at a spa or on a beach. Any quiet beach recommendations around there?

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

greazeball posted:

El Chorro looks pretty cool, thanks for the tip. Has anyone been to the thermal baths around there?

Any quiet beach recommendations around there?

Didn't get to the baths, unfortunately. This was the hike we did:
https://www.johninmalaga.com/el-chorro-family-hike-arabic-staircase/

Also, Málaga Beach is pretty meh. The sand is dark and grainy, and its popular and crowded. So I'd look elsewhere for a beach day. Nice boardwalk, though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A nice video on that one European theme park that's like Disneyland but better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP-q9j0z8Sw

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

Betazoid posted:

Also, Málaga Beach is pretty meh. The sand is dark and grainy, and its popular and crowded. So I'd look elsewhere for a beach day. Nice boardwalk, though.

I recommend the El Palo beach, just over to the west. It's much nicer, less crowded and there's some good seafood places.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Whorelord posted:

I'm off on a last minute week long holiday to Georgia (they're in UEFA and Eurovision, they're European). Can anyone whose been tell me if this itinerary looks good/possible (yes it's one of those posts):

Monday: Arrive in Kutaisi at midnight, take bus to Tbilisi at 1:00, arrive in Tbilisi at 6:00 (ish). Drop bags off in hostel, chill day doing some light wandering.
Wednesday: Day trip to Gori/Uplistsikhe and Mstkheta (may cut Gori depending). Night train from Tbilisi at 21:45, arriving at Zugdidi Station at 6:00
Thursday: Minibus to Mestia from Zugdidi Station, arriving whenever. Afternoon (hopefully) in Mestia, check into guesthouse.

When I went to Georgia I rented a car, so I don't really know how it works with public transport, but I'd say that itinerary looks reasonable.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
You guys were right. I started paying more attention and found something I really connect with.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

malder posted:

Brussels is awesome. I've been working in the city for over ten years now and although it's not as pretty as Ghent or Bruges, it does offer some great places to visit. The Grand Place is beautiful, but go there early in the morning.

Skip Manneke Pis and don't buy your chocolates in the shops around that tourist trap. Walking through the streets around the pissing boy statue and discovering the street art and bars is a better idea.

Mont des Arts (Kunstberg) offers you a stunning view over the heart of the city. Have a drink on top of the Musical Instruments Museum. The service sucks, but the view is amazing. Walk to the Palais de Justice and go inside. You can visit the main hall. Go shopping on Avenue Louise if you've got the money.

Go to the European quarter at lunchtime, it has good food and you'll hear as many languages as there are tables in the restaurant. I suggest the fish restaurant Mer Du Nord (near Place Lux, although I prefer their restaurant near place Saint Catherine).

Brussels has nice parks, but don't go there at night. I think you can still climb to the top of the arch in the parc du cinquantenaire, but they might have closed it after the terror attacks.

Visit Brussels like a Brusseleir and you'll love it.

Thanks! I'm going to try to go to Ghent because it's only a ~40 minute train ride, but I doubt I'll have that much time. And yeah - Manneke Pis sounds like at the very most I should walk by and snap a pic if I'm in the area just to roll my eyes. I assume everywhere near it is terrible.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Whorelord posted:

Quite a schedule! Definitely doable, but it won't be a relaxing week. Tbilissi is awesome, two days at minimum to enjoy the city. I'd recommend to skip Gori, and to prefer a day trip to Mtskheta or David Gareja if you want to see some beautiful cave monasteries. Personally we went to Kazbegi instead of Svaneti because it is closer to Tbilissi, but since you fly from Kutaissi I'm guessing Mestia is better for you.

Regarding Gori (disclaimer - we didn't go there, so all of our info is word of mouth): apparently it is not that easily accessible by public transport, basically if you are not there by car you have to ask the bus driver to drop you off at a gas station and walk quite a bit to get to the city. But in the end most people we met were quite disappointed with Gori, because there is not much to do apart from the Stalin museum, which is itself quite small and entirely in Georgian & Russian. It seems to me that Gori/Uplistsikhe is better suited to a longer trip around the country.

Generally speaking, minibusses are aplenty and go pretty much everywhere in Georgia, but for trips across the country you often have to pass through Tbilissi and even go from one bus station at the end of the city to another.
Otherwise, there are a lot of Taxis, but they like to gouge on prices. For Tbilissi at least, I'd recommend to use Yandex Taxi or Txfy, those are the local Ubers.
Car rental is definitely possible, but the local driving style is quite adventurous, though not worse than in Turkey or Greece or Southern Italy.

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Sep 11, 2018

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Chikimiki posted:

Quite a schedule! Definitely doable, but it won't be a relaxing week. Tbilissi is awesome, two days at minimum to enjoy the city. I'd recommend to skip Gori, and to prefer a day trip to Mtskheta or David Gareja if you want to see some beautiful cave monasteries. Personally we went to Kazbegi instead of Svaneti because it is closer to Tbilissi, but since you fly from Kutaissi I'm guessing Mestia is better for you.

Regarding Gori (disclaimer - we didn't go there, so all of our info is word of mouth): apparently it is not that easily accessible by public transport, basically if you are not there by car you have to ask the bus driver to drop you off at a gas station and walk quite a bit to get to the city. But in the end most people we met were quite disappointed with Gori, because there is not much to do apart from the Stalin museum, which is itself quite small and entirely in Georgian & Russian. It seems to me that Gori/Uplistsikhe is better suited to a longer trip around the country.

Generally speaking, minibusses are aplenty and go pretty much everywhere in Georgia, but for trips across the country you often have to pass through Tbilissi and even go from one bus station at the end of the city to another.
Otherwise, there are a lot of Taxis, but they like to gouge on prices. For Tbilissi at least, I'd recommend to use Yandex Taxi or Txfy, those are the local Ubers.
Car rental is definitely possible, but the local driving style is quite adventurous, though not worse than in Turkey or Greece or Southern Italy.

Yeah Kazbegi would be easier but the Svan Towers were on my must see list so I don't really feel like I had a choice. Disappointing that the Stalin Museum isn't in English, some friends have demanded some tasteless Stalin fridge magnets.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
What are the best places in Portugal?!?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
You're gonna have to be a lot more specific.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
To expat from USA and raise a family. Need access to academia, hospitals, and beaches!

E: minimal sharks, I hate those dicks but I enjoy whales

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

To expat from USA and raise a family. Need access to academia, hospitals, and beaches!

E: minimal sharks, I hate those dicks but I enjoy whales

Perhaps, you should know you want to live there first

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I'm not an expert but I think Lisbon is by far the best place to academia in Portugal. At least in my field, all the Portugese come from institutes there, though Porto also has a decent university.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Entropist posted:

I'm not an expert but I think Lisbon is by far the best place to academia in Portugal. At least in my field, all the Portugese come from institutes there, though Porto also has a decent university.

Coimbra is the traditional academic centre of Portugal fwiw

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
We're in Lauterbrunnen now. There is lots of helicopter noise during the day until about 4pm, and I just got woken up by one at 4:30 am. Hopefully, the last is a fluke because someone needed to be rescued or something. I can't imagine there's much to see right now. During the day it seemed like every ten minutes another helicopter would thunder through the valley.

This is...not exactly what I expected when I was planning the trip. The road traffic is way heavier than I was expecting. Probably should have booked something in Wengen or Murren, but the pictures looked so prosaic I was fooled. None of the reviews of anything even mentioned noise pollution.

This is probably the sleep deprivation talking, but I'm about ready to abandon this airbnb and go somewhere else entirely.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

We're in Lauterbrunnen now. There is lots of helicopter noise during the day until about 4pm, and I just got woken up by one at 4:30 am. Hopefully, the last is a fluke because someone needed to be rescued or something. I can't imagine there's much to see right now. During the day it seemed like every ten minutes another helicopter would thunder through the valley.

This is...not exactly what I expected when I was planning the trip. The road traffic is way heavier than I was expecting. Probably should have booked something in Wengen or Murren, but the pictures looked so prosaic I was fooled. None of the reviews of anything even mentioned noise pollution.

This is probably the sleep deprivation talking, but I'm about ready to abandon this airbnb and go somewhere else entirely.

I’ve been there a bunch and rarely see a single helicopter, let alone a parade of them. They do helicopter tours of the Eiger but unless you’re super sound sensitive they shouldn’t be that close to you. There must be something unusual like a helicopter-based construction project going on. Traffic is also bizarre although maybe your traffic expectations were "none". There definitely should never be any heavy traffic there unless there’s some special event going on since it’s halfway down a dead-end valley and few foreign tourists use cars, and few Swiss tourists are going there during the workweek during the school year.

E: maybe your Airbnb is too close to the heliport a km or so out of town? Flights at 4:30 am would definitely not be allowed except in case of emergency. It’s not even permitted to land or take or take off at Zurich or Geneva between like midnight and 6am.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 18, 2018

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

So how tense is the situation in Turkey right now (especially towards Americans)? I'm going to be heading there from Sri Lanka or India, and I know the lira collapse has largely been blamed on American sabotage and someone recently shot up the US embassy, people are filming themselves crushing iphones, etc. But I'm supposed to meet some friends in Greece and I'd love to fly to Istanbul first and see a bit of Turkey before going to Greece, not to mention the flight is significantly cheaper...

I'm fine with a bit of uh, excitement and have traveled a good bit in some rougher places, but I'm not really interested in winding up in a Turkish jail or lynched. my guess is its all a bit overblown though.

Sheng-Ji Yang fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Sep 18, 2018

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
It’s fine unless you’re also a Turkish citizen, have a Kurdish name, or have any even tentative ties to Turkish people, especially anyone related to PKk, YPG, or any Gulenists.

They’re likely to trump up any such connections but I would not worry about them 100% fabricating them especially for a short term tourist in Istanbul.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Saladman posted:

I’ve been there a bunch and rarely see a single helicopter, let alone a parade of them. They do helicopter tours of the Eiger but unless you’re super sound sensitive they shouldn’t be that close to you. There must be something unusual like a helicopter-based construction project going on. Traffic is also bizarre although maybe your traffic expectations were "none". There definitely should never be any heavy traffic there unless there’s some special event going on since it’s halfway down a dead-end valley and few foreign tourists use cars, and few Swiss tourists are going there during the workweek during the school year.

E: maybe your Airbnb is too close to the heliport a km or so out of town? Flights at 4:30 am would definitely not be allowed except in case of emergency. It’s not even permitted to land or take or take off at Zurich or Geneva between like midnight and 6am.

I think you might be right about our location, but those poor souls at the campground must have it a lot worse. :ohdear: As far as expectations, I thought the UNESCO designation restricted air traffic. Doesn't the noise bother hikers?

There may also be an event as there were paragliders landing nearly continuously.

Anyway, my wife woke up at 6:30 which is super unusual and said both bedrooms were too dusty to sleep in. After weighing our options for an hour, we dragged a mattress from one of the beds into the living room which is clean and has a wonderful crossbreeze as well as being insulated from the worst of the road. All we usually hear is the waterfall and the cowbells, which is nice.

Five hours of sleep really helped my perspective. This is the view from the living room balcony.

And here's from the former bedroom.

Not pictured: large parking lot.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Will I have trouble watching netflix, listening to spotify, or playing games on steam in Warsaw, PL (since normally I'm in the US)? I can set steam to offline mode easily enough, and I can download some playlists on Spotify. I know all of these companies have a global presence but I don't know if they'll take issue with my drastically different location and think I've been hacked or something.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

armorer posted:

Will I have trouble watching netflix, listening to spotify, or playing games on steam in Warsaw, PL (since normally I'm in the US)? I can set steam to offline mode easily enough, and I can download some playlists on Spotify. I know all of these companies have a global presence but I don't know if they'll take issue with my drastically different location and think I've been hacked or something.

No it doesn't matter, I watch netflix in all sorts of countries all the time.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Shibawanko posted:

No it doesn't matter, I watch netflix in all sorts of countries all the time.

Cool, thanks. Hopefully I'll be out and about, but it's good to know I can kill time at my hotel if needed.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

armorer posted:

Nope. Steam might get lovely if you try to buy a game since Polish prices are way lower than Western prices, but otherwise it’ll be fine. I’ve used Netflix and steam in ~50 countries with no issues.

Not much of a Spotify user but it was fine the last time I used it.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I think you might be right about our location, but those poor souls at the campground must have it a lot worse. :ohdear: As far as expectations, I thought the UNESCO designation restricted air traffic. Doesn't the noise bother hikers?

The UNESCO heritage site there really only covers the Aletsch glacier and surrounds. Generally speaking UNESCO are only really worried about overdevelopment; air traffic wouldn’t really factor into it unless someone was proposing to build an airport next door.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

armorer posted:

My first-hand experiences on this may be outdated, but it's possible you'll get the Polish Netflix lineup. Not a big deal, almost everything should be available in English, but you may be missing some shows that are licensed only for the US. Or conversely gain the opportunity to watch some that Netflix has licensed only in Europe - Germany gets Star Trek Discovery, for example.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Yeah unless something has changed in the past couple years, Netflix will not work the same as in the US unless you go through a VPN. Your account will still connect, but you'll only have access to whatever they have licensing agreements for in Poland. No idea what the Polish availability is, maybe it's OK? Last time I tried Netflix in Switzerland the movie availability was utter garbage: a bunch of C-list movies that I'd never heard of, a handful of out of copyright movies from like 1930, and Netflix original content. It's possible that EU countries have better licensing agreements than Switzerland, but I've never heard anyone here mention using it except a couple Americans who access it through VPN.

Most other things will probably work fine. I use Spotify with an American credit card and have no issue when traveling. I haven't used Steam in years but I also recall it being fine for already-purchased stuff, while buying new games was a PITA.

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists
Speaking of Andalucia (as someone upthread was), my wife and I are thinking of doing around 10-12 days in Andalucia in early November. We figure it'll be cool but nice weather, off-season for the main sights, and relatively relaxed. We're not beachy people, more about museums and food and cultural stuff.

Currently we're thinking, like, Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Malaga (though of course not in that order). Does that seem reasonable? Does anyone have opinions about must-see stuff that we are missing? There just seems to be so much amazing stuff in the south of Spain, other things that seem interesting include Cadiz, Jerez, Gibraltar, and many more.

My big question is, actually, does it seem better to rent a car or to just take trains around? I'm American and have a drivers license. I live in NYC and have driven here some, as well as e.g. in Iceland, although I've never experienced crazy urban driving in Europe. I feel like the trade-off is the inconvenience of having to drive and park in cities like Seville and Granada, versus the flexibility that you gain in comparison to the trains, which I have heard are quite good in Spain. Cost-wise, there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage either way.

What do you all think?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

If Netflix in Poland is anything like it is in Germany, the experience is just fine. You'll have access to a good amount of stuff.

Steam should give you no problems. Your Steam account (and thus, the store) will still show up in United States Dollars unless you manually change the location of your account to Poland (and thus resetting your prices into zloty). You won't have any issues playing anything or buying anything (in dollars), so you should have no worries there.

Not sure on Spotify tbh, but you can always just download your playlists for offline play to be sure, assuming you are a subscriber and not a free user. Since I live in Germany, my Spotify account is paid in Euros from my German credit card and I have never really encountered a situation where I felt like my music selection was limited.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 18, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Rashomon posted:

Speaking of Andalucia (as someone upthread was), my wife and I are thinking of doing around 10-12 days in Andalucia in early November. We figure it'll be cool but nice weather, off-season for the main sights, and relatively relaxed. We're not beachy people, more about museums and food and cultural stuff.

Currently we're thinking, like, Seville, Granada, Cordoba, Malaga (though of course not in that order). Does that seem reasonable? Does anyone have opinions about must-see stuff that we are missing? There just seems to be so much amazing stuff in the south of Spain, other things that seem interesting include Cadiz, Jerez, Gibraltar, and many more.

My big question is, actually, does it seem better to rent a car or to just take trains around? I'm American and have a drivers license. I live in NYC and have driven here some, as well as e.g. in Iceland, although I've never experienced crazy urban driving in Europe. I feel like the trade-off is the inconvenience of having to drive and park in cities like Seville and Granada, versus the flexibility that you gain in comparison to the trains, which I have heard are quite good in Spain. Cost-wise, there doesn't seem to be a huge advantage either way.

What do you all think?

Those four in 10 days seems pretty reasonable to me. Andalusia is probably my favourite part of Spain, so you've made a good choice. There's a pretty good high-speed train network in Spain (Renfe), so you probably won't need a car unless you're planning to go somewhere out of the way. I know others in the thread have good opinions of Cadiz and Jerez though I haven't been personally. Gibraltar is probably not worth it imo; once you've climbed the Rock, looked at Africa and been attacked by macaques there's not a whole lot to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Rashomon posted:

What do you all think?

Granada currently has an issue with the train station and is either not serviced at all by trains, or is serviced exceptionally rarely. Checking renfe it looks like there is one train per day (lol) between Granada and Cordoba and it takes a comical 3 hours. The bus system in Spain is OK but not great. For the other 3 cities you mentioned the trains will work very well; I don't know why Granada has such a garbage train station; even before they were doing whatever they're currently doing, it was awful.

Don't bother renting a car unless you want to visit smaller countryside cities like Ronda, or unless you want to go to the Sierra Nevadas or something else in the countryside. Driving is very easy in Spain, it's hands down the easiest European countries to drive in; it's nothing at all like driving in Italy or Greece or Morocco or wherever. None of those cities you mentioned have crazy urban traffic. Even Madrid is one of the easiest European capitals to drive in, even if you count like, Bern. Once you're in the city you'd have no need for a car unless you wanted to go to somewhere in the nearby countryside like Italica (a major game of thrones old Roman city outside Seville which is connected by bus but a slight hassle).

For 10-12 days definitely don't do more than 4 major cities. If you decide to do a smaller countryside trip, places like Ronda would be fine for 1 night if you're not traveling very far the day before or the day after. November is an ideal time of year to go there, the weather should be fantastic.

Make sure to buy Alhambra tickets in advance. Get a SIM when you arrive in Spain unless you have a good roaming data plan. This will make getting around cities by public transport 100x easier. Although really the 4 cities you mentioned are all walkable and fairly small.

Malaga is not that interesting given the rest of Andalucia, I would definitely give it a pass unless you're using it for its airport which is probably Malaga's main draw as it's by far the cheapest and largest in southern Spain. It's a major beach destination and it's fine, it's just not nearly as unique as other sites in the stiff competition of Andalucia. Although actually Cordoba the town isn't that nice or interesting, but its cathedral-cum-mosque is incredibly unique and super interesting, and the bridge and waterfront are nice enough although only warrant half an hour max to appreciate. Granada and Seville are both lovely all around. I've never been to Cadiz or Jerez so can't say there.

Saladman fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Sep 18, 2018