Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Facebook Aunt posted:

The middle supports sank.

Before. Both sets of blue supports are the same height above the water.

After. One set is much lower than the other.

They don't know why, but say "something under the riverbed failed". Yep.

Sucks, they’re running out of this year's construction season up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Facebook Aunt posted:

The mud failed to behave like bedrock.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You want me to dig down to a cartoon town? Listen buddy, I've got other jobs to do today, just tell me where to dump these pylons.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

There is absolutely no way this is serious. But I suppose an incipient extremely painful death does obviate the need for tetanus shots. (Also, they only used three nails. Maybe the fourth reason is the spear that collapses your lungs?)

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Grundulum posted:

There is absolutely no way this is serious. But I suppose an incipient extremely painful death does obviate the need for tetanus shots. (Also, they only used three nails. Maybe the fourth reason is the spear that collapses your lungs?)

Image searching that pic reveals thus:
http://holisticlifemama.com/no-dont-need-tetanus-shot-4-reasons/

Just more dumbass Anti-vaxxer bullshit.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Pretty safe bet that anything labeled "Holistic Life" isn't going to have good advice.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

"I just want to make it clear that most bridges are built so that they don't fall down."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m5qxZm_JqM

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Grundulum posted:

Um. Yeah. I have news for you.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bombadilillo posted:

Is it Good News?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Cartoon posted:

Is it Good News?

No anitvaxers are crazy and will let children die before a scary needle comes near them.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
I can never really decide, Are anti-vaxxers better or worse than people who are so religious that they try and pray sickness and disease away? I mean it's almost the same thing.

I've heard too many stories of loving nutters not letting their kids have any medical treatment at all because Jeeeebus will save them.

I think this is them, but I'm not sure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Science

quote:

Eddy described Christian Science as a return to "primitive Christianity and its lost element of healing". There are key differences between Christian Science theology and that of other branches of Christianity. In particular, adherents subscribe to a radical form of philosophical idealism, believing that reality is purely spiritual and the material world an illusion. This includes the view that disease is a mental error rather than physical disorder, and that the sick should be treated not by medicine, but by a form of prayer that seeks to correct the beliefs responsible for the illusion of ill health.

These people are frightening, and insane.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Bombadilillo posted:

No anitvaxers are crazy and will let children die before a scary needle comes near them.
:thejoke:

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Vanagoon posted:

I can never really decide, Are anti-vaxxers better or worse than people who are so religious that they try and pray sickness and disease away? I mean it's almost the same thing.

I've heard too many stories of loving nutters not letting their kids have any medical treatment at all because Jeeeebus will save them.

I think this is them, but I'm not sure:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Science

These people are frightening, and insane.

Did you know when Nixon signed new child abuse laws into effect that included neglect as a form of abuse they included specific exceptions to the Church of Christian Science because some of his advisors belonged to it. Gotta make sure you don't impede the rights of people to let their kids die because you didn't let doctors set a broken bone.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Humerus posted:

Did you know when Nixon signed new child abuse laws into effect that included neglect as a form of abuse they included specific exceptions to the Church of Christian Science because some of his advisors belonged to it. Gotta make sure you don't impede the rights of people to let their kids die because you didn't let doctors set a broken bone.

This Nixon guy sounds like a real piece of poo poo

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
Christian Science Nutters:

"This bone sticking out of my leg is just a mental error let me just pray for a while and it will get better"

Like we're in the loving Matrix and Jebus is the BOFH who will process your request for a reality revision.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Humerus posted:

Don't worry, those exemptions were retracted by the federal government about ten years later, in the early 1980s :eng101:

But the majority of the states have since made their own laws saying that actually it is okay to let your child die of treatable illnesses as long as you prayed really hard for them, and that's states' rights for you :eng99:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://i.imgur.com/upvhPB1.mp4

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 19, 2018

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Based on the picture, I assumed that the four reasons you didn’t need the tetanus shot were the four nails used to hammer Christ to the cross. Which was inconceivably stupid.

Having read the website, the actual four reasons include things like (1) tetanus isn’t caused by germs, (2) you’re not likely to catch tetanus, and (3) tetanus cases were on the decline before the vaccine was introduced. Which is still cosmically dumb, but it’s at least a flavor of moron I can wrap my head around.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I fully appreciated your first take on it and would actually have preferred that as a fantastically ironic campaign.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterOblivious posted:

Lol, they forgot to crop the browser bar out of the prior tweet and had to delete it because it shows they're keeping tabs on leftist organizations.

Mass Action Against Police Brutality

Activist Calendar

Coalition to Organize and Mobilize Boston Against Trump

Resistance Calendar

pigs bein pigs

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Facebook Aunt posted:

Obviously they never watched Bridge On the River Kwai.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bad Munki posted:

I fully appreciated your first take on it and would actually have preferred that as a fantastically ironic campaign.

A campaign that involved THE WRKNG NUMBER OF NAILS *melts down, schisms church*

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
I saw this dumb meme and thought of this dumb thread.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I like the method that British guy uses, where he puts 8x8s or the like in to prop up the areas he's removed the brick from, then starts a fire. Fire burns wood, chimney falls down with everyone at a safe distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L1WOnR2KBY

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lazyhound posted:

Judging by the photo of the tech I’m guessing she fat-fingered the button.

It sounds like the machine hosed up, but also that she was loving around with things she didn't understand to get it to work.

NYT posted:

Ms. Knickerbocker said in an interview that she did not remember pushing the scan button 151 times. “I pushed the button like four to six times,” she said. “It’s frustrating because I don’t know what happened. I never intended it to happen.”.

AuntMinnie posted:

After acquiring two axial images, she started receiving error messages from the scanner, Knickerbocker said. "I got two images -- axial images that appeared one after another on the large blue screen, one image at a time. And then I -- on the touch panel I was flashed that there was a table error followed by a series of numbers," she told the court.

She verified that the table height was "within normal range," she said. "I shouldn't have gotten an error for that," Knickerbocker recalled.

She also went into the scanning room and asked the boy's father, who had been trying to soothe his son, not to lean against the patient table, saying she thought that might have been the problem. After she returned to the control room, the table error had cleared.

"I selected the resume imaging of my exam and hit the expose button again," Knickerbocker said. One image appeared, but then the machine stopped and flashed another error code, displaying that only the axial mode was available, she recalled. She was using the CT scanner's advanced dynamic scanning (ADS) mode during the procedure, she said.

"In response to that message, I backed out and attempted to perform the exam in the axial mode like the computer asked," Knickerbocker explained. "In the past I've been able to do that; after you initiate the axial mode, you can kind of go in the back door and hit the ADS button again on the touchscreen panel, then from that point on tie the rest of your images together and proceed as usual."

She tried to initiate the images manually "once or twice," Knickerbocker said. To get the test moving again, she tried "to kind of backdoor it and initialize a couple of manual axial images and then jump-start the ADS and continue with the examination," she told the court.

She then called another technologist for advice, who told her to shut down the system. Then, she restarted the exam, Knickerbocker said.

"I had three errors -- the table error, then I had the axial error, then when that wasn't working I got a third error that was just a bunch of numbers. So I attempted another work-around that we call a soft start," Knickerbocker said. "You basically back out to where you have no information of your exam except patient information, and then basically reprogram the entire exam and tell it, I want to do child C-spine 3-millimeter slices at 2-millimeter intervals with this mA and this kV. I had to re-enter everything."

[...]

Toward the end of the testimony, Knickerbocker was asked if she had seen the 151 images that resulted from the Roth examination, which were entered as an exhibit in the hearing. Knickerbocker said the scout image and the first few images looked familiar, as she saw them on the monitor during the study, but she had not seen the 151 images in their entirety until she reviewed them with counsel.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It sounds like the machine hosed up, but also that she was loving around with things she didn't understand to get it to work.

sounds like how i mess with a cheap microwave oven when the touchpad is jacked up, and not how one should treat a radioactive imager with a toddler inside

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Facebook Aunt posted:

"Other kings said I was daft to build a castle in a swamp but I built it all the same, just to show 'em!"

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Bombadilillo posted:

Thats probably a good thing. Like seriously, they can die and not pollute the rest of the gene pool or whatever. Humanity is bad enough.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

FronzelNeekburm posted:

You'd think after the Therac-25 debacle we'd train our staff better to not mash buttons when a misunderstood error messages pop up. It's used as a case study in computer science classes, I'd expect the same in any kind of medical class as well.

lol who am I kidding, this is healthcare we're talking about.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

wesleywillis posted:

Thats probably a good thing. Like seriously, they can die and not pollute the rest of the gene pool or whatever. Humanity is bad enough.

The children didn't choose to have antivaxer parents, and when they get sick they spread it to others who aren't vaccinated for actual reasons

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

GotLag posted:

The children didn't choose to have antivaxer parents, and when they get sick they spread it to others who aren't vaccinated for actual reasons

Or the small portion of the population that just has bad luck.

Stick everyone with a needle and some people will still be capable of catching the infection.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Platystemon posted:

Or the small portion of the population that just has bad luck.

Stick everyone with a needle and some people will still be capable of catching the infection.

Tell that to small pox.

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Mustached Demon posted:

Tell that to small pox.

Herd immunity protects the small percentage of people for whom the vaccine was ineffective. vOv

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Dude in NC was trying to restore power, he's apparently fine.

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

count_von_count posted:

Dude in NC was trying to restore power, he's apparently fine powder.

schmug
May 20, 2007

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Also sounds like she really likes the back door

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FronzelNeekburm posted:

It's as if the machine wasn't fail-safe like it's loving supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Facebook Aunt posted:

Shouldn't the supports go down to bedrock? Does bedrock fail/settle?