Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
Went with the 1070 recommendation, installed it today. Also took the opportunity to clean all the parts and move it to a new case. These tempered glass Phanteks are very cool for how cheap they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Your RAM is at 2133, is that it's rated speed?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

LRADIKAL posted:

Your RAM is at 2133, is that it's rated speed?

No, they should be at 3200MHz . Easy fix?

e: apparently, enabled XMP in bios

goodness fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 19, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

XMP has to be one of the most confusing things for people building their own PCs for the first time. I'd wager that fully half of XMP ram installed in PCs today is not running in XMP.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Not far off:

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/RxYLrH/sandisk-ultra-3d-500gb-25-solid-state-drive-sdssdh3-500g-g25

12$ off on Amazon lightning deal.
SanDisk 500GB Ultra 3D NAND SATA III SSD - 2.5-inch Solid State Drive - SDSSDH3-500G-G25 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072R78B6Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fjAOBbCSHBHRT

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

mkultra419 posted:

Working on a build where the primary use is gaming on a 1440p 144hz gsync monitor with occasional VR now that GPU prices aren't so crazy / new gen firesale is beginning. Is it worth paying the premium for a 1080 over a 1070? 1070 Ti pricing is close enough to 1080 pricing where I'll just make the jump if its really worth it. 1080 Ti seems overkill as I don't have any 4k screens and I'm not planning on getting one any time soon.

A 1080 Ti isn't necessarily overkill for 1440/144Hz if you like running AAA games on Ultra. Quite a few contemporary AAA games (like FFXV run at 60-70ish on a 1080 and 85-90ish on an 1080 Ti, and games are likely to get more demanding over the next few years (Shadow of the Tomb Raider is apparently already <60 fps on a 1080 at 1440p/ultra). Paying current new prices for a 1080 Ti probably isn't worth it over a 1080, but used good EVGA cards like the ftw3 and sc2 regularly go for under $500 on ebay, so you might be able to snag one for ~$425-450 on a coupon day.

VelociBacon posted:

XMP has to be one of the most confusing things for people building their own PCs for the first time. I'd wager that fully half of XMP ram installed in PCs today is not running in XMP.

Apparently I still wasn't running XMP after ~6 months. I'm not sure if a bios update reset it or if I just never properly set it the first time I tried, but it's pretty embarrassing.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 19, 2018

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
What country are you in?
USA
What are you using the system for? \/\/\/ In order of importance.
1. Gaming. I've been working with Apple devices for the past decade or so. Played a lot of games in my teen years and I'm loving over not having a system suited for them.
I'd like to be able to play games along the lines of the Witcher 3 on high settings without sweating it.
2. VR, as things unfold I'd like to explore them. While things seem somewhat underwhelming right now, I'm cautiously optimistic.
3. Looking into 3D printing as a hobby, so I'd like to have the ability to do some light to moderate work in 3D modelling software.
4. Office Work (running multiple excel documents in the neighborhood of 5-10k rows as well as running heavy duty ERP software). I'm not concerned about this as my drat Thinkpad x270 can handle this.
What's your budget?
$1500-2000. Willing to spend more if it's worth it, but not looking to throw my money at something I'm only going to be able to play with a few days out of the month.
If you’re doing professional work, what software do you need to use?
Running five instances of Microsoft Navision at once.
3D modeling and slicing tools. Currently Unsure what this will look like at the moment.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution?
Currently running an ASUS MX279H 27" (1920x1080)

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/DKMFYT
CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7GHz 6-Core Processor ($359.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($85.22 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Asus - TUF H370-Pro Gaming (WI-FI) ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($128.98 @ Newegg Business)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($182.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card ($804.98 @ Newegg Business)
Case: Phanteks - Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1882.12

So I realize I'm probably going overboard. I'm excited at the idea of getting a system and my partner is bugging me to hand off my Macbook because hers is stuck in update limbo and is, frankly, on its last legs.

I'm also not married to the case in the least. I'd just like something that's not huge.

Thanks for your guidance! :sludgepal:

Sorry if this post reeks of an rear end in a top hat with more money than sense. I'm just not broke for the first time in my life.

Beaucoup Cuckoo fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 19, 2018

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
The graphics card is overkill for the monitor. So is the CPU, at least in terms of gaming.

Is that SSD NVME or SATA?

Other than that, pretty decent for a rich dick build.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 GAMING iCX Video Card ($804.98 @ Newegg Business)

I think you can get a 2080 for that.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think I'm gonna build an 1156 just to give myself something super cheap to do, plus I have a ton of DDR3 I'm not using. If anyone has any old 1156 CPU/Mobo they want to get rid of hmu lol

I've got an i3 - 540 and a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 (USB3!!) ITX motherboard that is laying dormant. They're even in a small, cheap HTPC case. I don't want a single penny for the lot. To have them go to a good home and stop collecting dust would be good enough.

Unfortunately I'm:

a) In the United Kingdom.
b) Too stupid to use the PM system on these boards.

Try and contact me if you possibly can/want to.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Sorry if this post reeks of an rear end in a top hat with more money than sense. I'm just not broke for the first time in my life.
If you're spending this much already you might as well upgrade the motherboard to a Z370 that can actually make use of the thermal headroom offered by the cooler and the fast RAM. H370 and below max out at 2667 MT/s iirc.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 19, 2018

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Thanks guys. I'm going to pare this down and come back to you. I knew I overshot it, but clearly I need to do a lot more research.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Thanks guys. I'm going to pare this down and come back to you. I knew I overshot it, but clearly I need to do a lot more research.

It's not often when I actually *increase* a build's cost: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/VrfpV6

I think we're starting to see the first evidence of tariff price hike evidence. The Extreme4 is suddenly ~$25 more expensive. Also, I boosted you up to the Fractal Define R6. They're getting ready to release a refresh to the R6, so the base models are 'cheap' at the moment. And if you're going with a D15, you really should get the LPX modules so there's no worry in the DIMMs impacting the fans.

Also, if you have a Micro Center nearby, they've got the best price on the 8700K, even with tax, but I'd figure around this time next month the 9700K and 9900K will be out.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Thank you very much! I appreciate you modifying the other parts there too.

I'm in Portland, so no dice on the Micro Center.

I think I'm going to knock this down maybe 20 percent in terms of CPU and GPU power and see where I'm at price-wise.

I've been putting off buying a system for years now and it's hard not to make an impulsive decision. I feel like saying, gently caress it.

But I also have a strong feeling that I'll put the thing together and not make best use of it - most likely because I'm fuckin' working 60-70 hours a week.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Beaucoup Cuckoo posted:

Thank you very much! I appreciate you modifying the other parts there too.

I'm in Portland, so no dice on the Micro Center.

I think I'm going to knock this down maybe 20 percent in terms of CPU and GPU power and see where I'm at price-wise.

I've been putting off buying a system for years now and it's hard not to make an impulsive decision. I feel like saying, gently caress it.

But I also have a strong feeling that I'll put the thing together and not make best use of it - most likely because I'm fuckin' working 60-70 hours a week.

Well, if you can hold off a month, I could see 8700Ks hitting $259-279 because of the intro of the 9th gen. Hell, they've already been below $299 at times with certain lucky promo codes.

The only components I can advise picking up now is RAM and a PSU, since the former might rise in price (even after falling recently) and the latter is just chock full of stuff under tariff. The reason I replaced your G2 with the G1+ is because the G1+ is newer and carries a 12 year warranty if bought and registered before 12/31 of this year.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

ddogflex posted:

So, I'm upgrading from an i7-970 that's been serving me well for drat near a decade now, but it doesn't even have modern instruction sets used by VR, so it's time.

I'm actually moving over the SSD from my current build, and getting a deal of the proc/mobo for $160. Also eBaying the video card for $240. So it's significantly cheaper (~$600 total) than this build list implies.

Anyway, I want this thing for ultra-setting gaming on a 1440p monitor, and some VR with a WMR headset. Other than just like general computer tasks (which it should obv be up to).

Anything glaringly terrible?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i3-8100 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor ($118.90 @ B&H)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - H370M D3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: GeIL - EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 525GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($125.79 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($369.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair - Carbide Series 275R (Black w/Tempered Glass) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: EVGA - BT 450W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($24.49 @ Newegg)
Total: $919.14
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-09-17 20:10 EDT-0400

I think your post kind of got lost in the shuffle, sorry. There's nothing glaring terrible, but it will be somewhat marginal for ultra 1440p/VR (assuming your monitor is 120+Hz - correct me if I'm wrong), especially as newer AAA come out. You've chosen cost-efficient components, however, especially with the package deals, so any suggestions are going to increase the price.

Normally I would recommend at minimum:

i5 8400
z370
3000/3200 RAM
GTX 1080
Seasonic Focus Gold or EVGA G1+ 550W/650W

However, even going with an H370/2666 RAM adds ~$180 before factoring in an addition ~$60-70 for a used 1080 (and Z370/3200 adds another $40), so it may not be worth it to you. A good chunk of that is the 8400, which is currently $30 over MSRP because of Intel CPU shortages,.

If you think you might want to upgrade this machine in the future, I'd probably at least consider buying a Gold PSU and maybe a Z370 over the H370.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Sep 19, 2018

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

I'm trying to build a budget Ryzen 5 2400G box, what I can't decide is how much memory to buy. It's expensive but I feel like if I put 8 GB it's going to gasp for air, considering the gpu will be using it as well. Correct? The most intense thing I plan to run is WoW or maybe other mmos on medium-to-low settings.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Shy posted:

I'm trying to build a budget Ryzen 5 2400G box, what I can't decide is how much memory to buy. It's expensive but I feel like if I put 8 GB it's going to gasp for air, considering the gpu will be using it as well. Correct? The most intense thing I plan to run is WoW or maybe other mmos on medium-to-low settings.

You're using a dedicated GPU right? It'll have its own ram. I would get 16gb of slower ram over 8gb of faster ram. I think there is some stuff about ryzen and ram specifically but I'll let someone more informed than myself tell you about it.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

No I wanted to try the built-in one. I may upgrade eventually to something that will agree to work on a 450W system if it won't be enough.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

The 2400G APU does use the system memory as VRAM (2GB by default). Besides RAM speed affecting APU memory access, Ryzen also ties the main system bus (the infinity fabric) to your RAM speed. Going from 2400MHz RAM to 3200MHz is a 10-20% boost in gaming performance.

You might want to consider going with an 8100/16GB 2666 RAM/B360 motherboard over a 2400G/16GB 3200 RAM. Before adding a video card, it'll come out to ~$60 cheaper and ensuring RAM compatibility is much easier. Used EVGA 1050s/1050 Tis are going for ~$95-100 / $120-130, respectively (get EVGA for the transferable warranty + good support and build quality). You'll come out $40-70 more expensive, but with a machine solidly in the "recommended" specs for Battle of Azeroth. With an 8100/1050 ti you could even get away with 8gb of RAM, if you want cost parity.

E: A 450W PSU would be sufficient for either system!

E2: This is all assuming you're in the US. Relative prices can be much different elsewhere.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Sep 19, 2018

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.
So, I want a dumb terminal to stream music through and do web browsing with. This is what I've put together from PCPartsPicker (I've got a Windows key, a monitor, and keyboard+mouse already):

CPU: *Intel - Celeron G3900 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($37.22 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill - R379-M MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $199.16

Any thoughts? Better (cheaper) options? I realize I might be cutting it close with 4 gigs of RAM where web browsing is concerned.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Gyrotica posted:

So, I want a dumb terminal to stream music through and do web browsing with. This is what I've put together from PCPartsPicker (I've got a Windows key, a monitor, and keyboard+mouse already):

CPU: *Intel - Celeron G3900 2.8GHz Dual-Core Processor ($37.22 @ B&H)
Motherboard: MSI - H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($45.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill - NT Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($36.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston - A400 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($28.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill - R379-M MicroATX Slim Case w/300W Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $199.16

Any thoughts? Better (cheaper) options? I realize I might be cutting it close with 4 gigs of RAM where web browsing is concerned.

Why not get a chromebook?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

GutBomb posted:

Why not get a chromebook?

I....don't have a good answer for you! I suppose I'll look into those as well.

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
A few years back I bought an AMD RX480 graphics card, and subsequently bought an Acer XF270HU freesync monitor to go with it, which is brilliant. It's 1440p so I'm unable to play games on high settings. I realise I have to stick with AMD to keep freesync working but I've been pretty disappointed with the temperature/noise from it, and the "global wattman" software seems to have a mind of it's own and changes its settings on it's own. Am I going to regret going for a 1080/2070 instead of a better AMD card?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Stickman posted:

The 2400G APU does use the system memory as VRAM (2GB by default). Besides RAM speed affecting APU memory access, Ryzen also ties the main system bus (the infinity fabric) to your RAM speed. Going from 2400MHz RAM to 3200MHz is a 10-20% boost in gaming performance.

You might want to consider going with an 8100/16GB 2666 RAM/B360 motherboard over a 2400G/16GB 3200 RAM. Before adding a video card, it'll come out to ~$60 cheaper and ensuring RAM compatibility is much easier. Used EVGA 1050s/1050 Tis are going for ~$95-100 / $120-130, respectively (get EVGA for the transferable warranty + good support and build quality). You'll come out $40-70 more expensive, but with a machine solidly in the "recommended" specs for Battle of Azeroth. With an 8100/1050 ti you could even get away with 8gb of RAM, if you want cost parity.

E: A 450W PSU would be sufficient for either system!

E2: This is all assuming you're in the US. Relative prices can be much different elsewhere.

Thanks. Intels are overpriced at the moment in Ukraine for some reason so the alternative wasn't that appealing, ordered 2400G + 16 GB 3000. I initially thought to save by getting 2666 but I guess that matters too. Oh well, ram ends up being the most expensive part of the box.

dad on the rag
Apr 25, 2010
Newegg payment system might have possibly been compromised for a week?!? Just a PSA if you have ordered something recently.

https://www.riskiq.com/blog/labs/magecart-newegg/

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

franchise1 posted:

A few years back I bought an AMD RX480 graphics card, and subsequently bought an Acer XF270HU freesync monitor to go with it, which is brilliant. It's 1440p so I'm unable to play games on high settings. I realise I have to stick with AMD to keep freesync working but I've been pretty disappointed with the temperature/noise from it, and the "global wattman" software seems to have a mind of it's own and changes its settings on it's own. Am I going to regret going for a 1080/2070 instead of a better AMD card?

The only real upgrade path to keep using freesync would be a Vega 56 or 64. I believe the Vega 64 costs more than a 1080, performs similarly to it, and uses more power.

I own a GTX 1080 and have a 1440 monitor that's overclocked to 96hz. No sync of either kind and it's pretty good. Not every game can max out the framerate at this resolution but most play well and some can. I don't think you'd regret moving to Nvidia and losing the freesync since your monitor should still have a higher than 60 max refresh rate.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

A quick deal mention for those building new systems or stockpiling power supplies in case of tariffs raising the prices:
EVGA Platinum 750 Watt PSU for $79.99 from EVGA's ebay store.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-SuperNOVA-750-PQ-80-PLATINUM-Semi-Modular-10-Yr-Warranty-210-PQ-0750-X1-/263657052457

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

apropos man posted:

I've got an i3 - 540 and a Gigabyte GA-H55N-USB3 (USB3!!) ITX motherboard that is laying dormant. They're even in a small, cheap HTPC case. I don't want a single penny for the lot. To have them go to a good home and stop collecting dust would be good enough.

Unfortunately I'm:

a) In the United Kingdom.
b) Too stupid to use the PM system on these boards.

Try and contact me if you possibly can/want to.

Haha I can/want to! :) Feel free to email me at nickxcom@gmail.com

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!
I have emailed you!

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

franchise1 posted:

If you have an AMD card or APU alongside an NVidia card, there is currently a workaround that will allow you to use freesync with the NVidia card. Basically, attach the monitor to the AMD card and set it as the default in bios, then use the nvidia control panel to force the game to use the nvidia card for processing. Since your 480 wouldn't be doing the processing, it shouldn't be generating much heat/noise, either! It doesn't work with all games, however, and could probably be disabled by driver updates at some point.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

franchise1 posted:

You should go nVidia to push a 1440p monitor, sadly.
Whilst I cannot vouch for the reliability of the method, and updates may break it, deliberately or not, there's some people who have Freesync working on a nVidia card if you keep the AMD card in the system as well - https://www.pcworld.com/article/3300167/components-graphics/amd-freesync-on-nvidia-geforce-graphics.html

Look for deals on 1080s (EVGA b-stock on wednesdays) or yes, a 2070.

e: guess this tab was older than I thought!

astral
Apr 26, 2004

dad on the rag posted:

Newegg payment system might have possibly been compromised for a week?!? Just a PSA if you have ordered something recently.

https://www.riskiq.com/blog/labs/magecart-newegg/

August ~14 through September 18, so a little over a month. If you used a credit card (and not through Paypal) to buy something from newegg in this period, you'll want to report the card stolen.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

astral posted:

August ~14 through September 18, so a little over a month. If you used a credit card (and not through Paypal) to buy something from newegg in this period, you'll want to report the card stolen.

Thanks for posting this.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is there no PayPal option when you buy from Newegg? Why give your cc info to an online retailer?

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

astral posted:

What about a debit card?

Goonerousity
Sep 25, 2017

aww yeah
Is having too much ram taboo or something? ..something.. awful? Anyways, max out your ram, I have 32gb on my i7 machine but next upgrade I’m going for 64, maybe 128gb

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Goonerousity posted:

Is having too much ram taboo or something? ..something.. awful? Anyways, max out your ram, I have 32gb on my i7 machine but next upgrade I’m going for 64, maybe 128gb

That's a lot of chrome tabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Goonerousity posted:

Does it do anything after 16-32 if you are only playing games, browsing, and watching movies?