Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

gently caress my rear end.

Ottoman cock suckers wouldnt stay in their loving lane and they started buying land in india. Deciding I should gently caress him now I dropped the alliance. Then ming attacks chagatai who I've been protecting so I dump a lot of manpower stupidly into destorying ming. Then the ottomans (I took no land in the ming war) suddenly acquired a magical 160 AE against me and immediately joined the standing indian coalition against me. Now, I will prob be fine here since its just stupid transoxiana that war decced on me. I figure if I step on him I can prob just pick off armies piecemeal.

But, Ottos loved me before I ended the alliance so how the gently caress did they get all that AE?

Presumably they already had a huge amount of AE but didn't join the coalition due to your alliance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

RabidWeasel posted:

Presumably they already had a huge amount of AE but didn't join the coalition due to your alliance.

I guess, I did make a new state after dropping the alliance. But immediately after they stayed friendly for about a year. Then when I rivaled them and allied russia they flipped to outraged and changed from like 80 opinion to -160

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Senor Dog posted:

Does anyone happen to know how to get the Poland achievement for pacifying the Sejm nowadays? I went through the event, am a normal monarchy now, and passed my last government reform but I still haven’t got it.

As far as I’m aware this achievement has been broken by successive changes to the systems it’s based on. It used to require you to switch to absolute monarchy. Then absolute monarchies got removed and replaced by absolutism, so naturally it was changed to require you to be an administrative monarchy, rather than having anything to do with absolutism. Now those in turn have been removed and all your government bonuses are down to reform types, which is great and cool but there’s no way to become an administrative monarchy anymore so unless they changed the conditions again and I didn’t notice, you can’t get the achievement.

That said, the next patch is adding provinces to the P-L part of the map so hopefully someone at Paradox will notice that shits busted.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Unrelatedly they should patch it so you can convert large amounts of government reform progress into absolutism or monarch power or something if you’re all reformed up and there’s nothing else you can do with it. I don’t know how representative this is but as Mughals I maxed out reforms by like 1650.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I guess, I did make a new state after dropping the alliance. But immediately after they stayed friendly for about a year. Then when I rivaled them and allied russia they flipped to outraged and changed from like 80 opinion to -160

You get a 5 year truce from breaking alliances. That had to run out for them to join the coalition

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Firebatgyro posted:

You get a 5 year truce from breaking alliances. That had to run out for them to join the coalition

Yea, but they were friendly up until around the time the truce ended. i just dont get how the 160AE was hiding behind 80 opinion without a marriage or alliance.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

skasion posted:

As far as I’m aware this achievement has been broken by successive changes to the systems it’s based on. It used to require you to switch to absolute monarchy. Then absolute monarchies got removed and replaced by absolutism, so naturally it was changed to require you to be an administrative monarchy, rather than having anything to do with absolutism. Now those in turn have been removed and all your government bonuses are down to reform types, which is great and cool but there’s no way to become an administrative monarchy anymore so unless they changed the conditions again and I didn’t notice, you can’t get the achievement.

That said, the next patch is adding provinces to the P-L part of the map so hopefully someone at Paradox will notice that shits busted.

Oh shoot I shouldn’t have played Poland if they’re gettin new stuff soon! Hopefully the patch doesn’t break my save and I can resume it then.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Senor Dog posted:

Oh shoot I shouldn’t have played Poland if they’re gettin new stuff soon! Hopefully the patch doesn’t break my save and I can resume it then.
They are 99% chance going to change the map and gently caress your save.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

You rivaled them, aka the Otts.

You're shocked they hated you after that.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Yea, but they were friendly up until around the time the truce ended. i just dont get how the 160AE was hiding behind 80 opinion without a marriage or alliance.

I think some weird stuff can happen with tributary states and AE. It might have something to do with that.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

StealthArcher posted:

You rivaled them, aka the Otts.

You're shocked they hated you after that.

I’m not shocked they’re grump, I’m confused how the hell they got in on that godamn coalition. I’ve decided it’s because of the two provinces they had in Gujarat.

I ended up keeping that coalition at bay with 0 manpower for most of the war. I have been immediately attacking the coalition as soon as it forms before ottos can join. That seems to be doing the trick. The one war I had with them didn’t go great even though I cleared out their manpower pretty quick they can keep a 200 regiment nerf army up for a long fuckin time.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I’m not shocked they’re grump, I’m confused how the hell they got in on that godamn coalition. I’ve decided it’s because of the two provinces they had in Gujarat.

I ended up keeping that coalition at bay with 0 manpower for most of the war. I have been immediately attacking the coalition as soon as it forms before ottos can join. That seems to be doing the trick. The one war I had with them didn’t go great even though I cleared out their manpower pretty quick they can keep a 200 regiment nerf army up for a long fuckin time.

Joining a coalition requires under -50 relations and over 50 AE with the country iirc.

So they had lots of.AE but were your ally, then you broke alliance and rivalled them puahing them under -50 and they jumped on board.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

new dev diary. highlights include lots of provinces in Poland and Eastern Europe, new national ideas for some minors, and some Venice govt mechanics

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

StealthArcher posted:

Joining a coalition requires under -50 relations and over 50 AE with the country iirc.

So they had lots of.AE but were your ally, then you broke alliance and rivalled them puahing them under -50 and they jumped on board.
Joining a coalition only requires being under 0 relations, not -50. A very important distinction to make when you're trying to skirt around AE limits and coalitions.

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

I've had allies with good relations at 160+ AE before, and the alliance plus royal marriage factors are only +75 total, so it's definitely possible to be at positive opinion with 160 AE. As another Sunni, your default relations are positive with them, and if you share a religious school then they're higher, and the "friendly" modifier can exist in a lot of circumstances even when your relations would otherwise be negative. Add on a lot from relationship improvement and perhaps some event effects as well, and I can see it. Maybe not +80 exactly, but decently high. Shifts in the AI's attitude towards you can account for some huge swings when they suddenly go from friendly to rival and they want half your land.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Joining a coalition only requires being under 0 relations, not -50. A very important distinction to make when you're trying to skirt around AE limits and coalitions.

Just to clarify, you need to be under 0 overall relation, and have at least a -50 modifier from AE (factoring into that <0 overall)

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

new dev diary. highlights include lots of provinces in Poland and Eastern Europe, new national ideas for some minors, and some Venice govt mechanics
But I just finished being excited about Dharma. The circle never ends. :(

code:
cossacks_insults = {
        power_projection_from_insults = 1
    }
lol Paradox you Macedonian wheelwrights.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Poil posted:

But I just finished being excited about Dharma. The circle never ends. :(

code:
cossacks_insults = {
        power_projection_from_insults = 1
    }
lol Paradox you Macedonian wheelwrights.

I am very proud of that one. :colbert: :unsmith:
Best modifier in the game

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The scornful insult feature is fuckin A+++ by the way. As Mughals I kept getting insulted by Alodia with the “tales of your misdeeds are told from Ireland to Cathay”. Yeah, because I own everything in between them.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

I knew it was going to be a fun thing but I didn't expect to get the response we did on scornful insults. People were way more excited for them than I thought they would.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I've had allies with good relations at 160+ AE before, and the alliance plus royal marriage factors are only +75 total, so it's definitely possible to be at positive opinion with 160 AE. As another Sunni, your default relations are positive with them, and if you share a religious school then they're higher, and the "friendly" modifier can exist in a lot of circumstances even when your relations would otherwise be negative. Add on a lot from relationship improvement and perhaps some event effects as well, and I can see it. Maybe not +80 exactly, but decently high. Shifts in the AI's attitude towards you can account for some huge swings when they suddenly go from friendly to rival and they want half your land.

Yea I figured the 100 trust and 100 improves relation was keeping it up plus them being friendly. The reason I’m saying this is confusing isn’t that they swung so much, it’s how they from bordering me on Persia managed to squeak out 160 AE. Then I stupidly realized it was probably because they had a province in Sind and bengal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Groogy posted:

Agreed. Does it also work with scornful insults with a slight boost to the relations increase?

skasion posted:

The scornful insult feature is fuckin A+++ by the way. As Mughals I kept getting insulted by Alodia with the “tales of your misdeeds are told from Ireland to Cathay”. Yeah, because I own everything in between them.
I have to stop myself from burning all my prestige with it and I've even insulted random nations just because I can. Of course I frequently forget to keep my rivals insulted. :v:

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

It doesn't affect the relations, but it does work with scornful insults power projection.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

LOL at them making it so you can't tagswitch from "endgame" tags and then the next patch making a new country that endgame tags can switch to.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

The idea of "forming" the mongol empire feels odd. The mongol empire never "formed" irl, it spread. The mongol empire wasn't defined by the specific territory it controlled, but who was in control and the methods they conquered land. And it collapsed hundreds of years before you'll be able to form it in EU4. There are a lot of weird formable nations like this, but this is by far the weirdest. It doesn't make a lick of sense.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 18, 2018

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It makes precisely as much sense as reforming the Roman Empire. Reclaiming the "Legacy of Ghengis Khan" is a real completely unobtainable thing that countries had been trying to do basically since he died, same way people were floating completely fanciful claims of restoring the Roman Empire up to the 1940s.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's a horde taking over half the world then deciding they were the neo-mongols, like rome formable

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Groogy posted:

Agreed. I cant wait to make a custom nation to use it.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Giving Cossacks more powerful insults is an amazing bit of flavor.

(pictured: a Cossack host writing their a reply to a series of demands from the Ottoman sultan)

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Groogy posted:

Game would be literally unplayable without it.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Firebatgyro posted:

LOL at them making it so you can't tagswitch from "endgame" tags and then the next patch making a new country that endgame tags can switch to.

Can't endgame tags already form Rome?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wow, just for the hell of it I decided to try out Sikhism as the Timmies and uhhhhhhhhh

That's it? That's, amazingly weak and a massive downgrade from going for Shiite Islam or Hinduism

Why on earth did they not buff this religion in the India update???

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wow, just for the hell of it I decided to try out Sikhism as the Timmies and uhhhhhhhhh

That's it? That's, amazingly weak and a massive downgrade from going for Shiite Islam or Hinduism

Why on earth did they not buff this religion in the India update???

The balance of all the new Indian content is not good, unfortunately. Enjoy your illusion-of-choice!

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So I found a weird bug and I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on. I formed Inca as a south american totemist native. This caused me to convert to Inti as normal and authority started tracking up in the bottom, but when I click on the reform button it takes me to normal native reforms not the inti ones. Any idea on what would be causing this?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Have I mentioned that overall I really enjoy the latest patch? Because I do. Reward yourselves with an imaginary chalice.

:allears:

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Terrible Opinions posted:

So I found a weird bug and I was wondering if anyone knows what's going on. I formed Inca as a south american totemist native. This caused me to convert to Inti as normal and authority started tracking up in the bottom, but when I click on the reform button it takes me to normal native reforms not the inti ones. Any idea on what would be causing this?
Tech group nonsense maybe? It might not have upgraded you to the andean one?

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
Huh, seems Mingsplosions are back... I only started playing this game properly when the Third Rome expansion came out, and have racked up over 2000 hours since then (been on partial sick leave etc.); had never seen (not even managed to cause) that mythical beast called a "Mingsplosion" before, but since 1.26 I've seen it happen twice. Didn't have anything to do with it myself, the first time was in a Portugal game where they fell apart before I even got around to exploring that far, and now they blew up into a million bits around 1510 in my Timurids -> Mughals game (before my expanding frontier even started encroaching on their tributaries).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

It's almost certainly because Europeans are chartering land from them or their neighbors, which gives Ming a large neighbor that they can't take tribute from, which tanks their mandate.

I think chartering land needs to be reined in a little.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Fister Roboto posted:

It's almost certainly because Europeans are chartering land from them or their neighbors, which gives Ming a large neighbor that they can't take tribute from, which tanks their mandate.

But, as early as 1510? Or before even the Portuguese have explored there?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Europeans chartering land from China and Ming collapsing are both historical so I don't see what the problem is. In fact, I think the limitation on tributary spam and their new aggressiveness (which means they eat up potential tributaries in SEA) hurts them more than Charters.

I just wish the Euros would go for Macau or Hong Kong. Those provinces are already special little nooks made for you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

Europeans chartering land from China and Ming collapsing are both historical so I don't see what the problem is. In fact, I think the limitation on tributary spam and their new aggressiveness (which means they eat up potential tributaries in SEA) hurts them more than Charters.

I just wish the Euros would go for Macau or Hong Kong. Those provinces are already special little nooks made for you!

Well, inner strife from the newfound european influence is historical, but the manner of its collapse and the way china never recovers is far from historical, and from a gameplay perspective, ming selling europeans provinces and then immediately dying because of it is pretty dumb. Not to mention that even if another country were to claim mandate and unite china, it would just keep happening with europeans around. This really does not seem like it's working as intended.

edit: Also it's questionable to say that Ming's collapse happened because of the appearance of western powers. A whole lot of factors had been bubbling up within China for years leading up to the fall of the ming dynasty that had very little to nothing to do with the europeans.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 19, 2018