Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

evenworse username posted:

The education system is something that I still only have a really rudimentary grasp on: what's gonna be the easiest way to get a Welsh-culture heir again? (I know I could console command it, but outside of that) Obviously having my character raise them isn't going to work.

Assign a guardian of the desired culture to the child and set the educational focus to heritage. I think the higher the guardian's learning, the better the chance of it working. I use that to convert errant vassals.

I had something similar to me happen in my Ireland game and accidentally went Welsh, but then Ireland suddenly culture-shifted so most of it was welsh, so I stuck with it. I can't remember if swapping cultures destroys cultural buildings immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Assign a guardian of the desired culture to the child and set the educational focus to heritage. I think the higher the guardian's learning, the better the chance of it working. I use that to convert errant vassals.

I had something similar to me happen in my Ireland game and accidentally went Welsh, but then Ireland suddenly culture-shifted so most of it was welsh, so I stuck with it. I can't remember if swapping cultures destroys cultural buildings immediately.

It seems to make them inactive at first, I don't know if they get destroyed eventually. I just made a chunk of Africa Greek, so all their special buildings lie empty now.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Friar John posted:

Couldn't you also just wait until the Scot has an heir, and then have them tutored in heritage by a Welsh guardian? A one generation gap, but wouldn't be the end of the world.

That's the part I'm hazy on - if I give them a guardian, do I get to pick what they tutor them in, or am I just hoping that the tutor will pick Heritage?

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

That's the part I'm hazy on - if I give them a guardian, do I get to pick what they tutor them in, or am I just hoping that the tutor will pick Heritage?

You can force the heritage focus for some children, if they're in your prison or the parent / liege owes you a favor. Possibly also your direct descendants / close family members? Right click the kid's portrait and the option should be there.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

pidan posted:

You can force the heritage focus for some children, if they're in your prison or the parent / liege owes you a favor. Possibly also your direct descendants / close family members? Right click the kid's portrait and the option should be there.

Cool cool. That gives me a backup plan if I can't afford the prestige to switch the heir himself over.

We murdered a baby to start this plan, and we're ending it culturally indoctrinating another.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

you get to pick the childhood or education focus for any child in your court, so if you want to control this assign them to a welsh culture guardian in your court and then at age 12 pick a good education for them

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

Torrannor posted:

This requires Rajahs of India.

It might have been added in a patch or included in another dlc because I can do that and I don't have Rajahs.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

:ssh: If you're not on Ironman just type "culture welsh" into the console and pretend you hit the "adopt local culture" button

Come to think of it, I'm creeping up on 1,000 hours in CK2 and I still have exactly 0 achievements because I always roll with a few mods and never play Ironman

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

We murdered a baby to start this plan, and we're ending it culturally indoctrinating another.

Is that too long for a thread title?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

ninjahedgehog posted:

Come to think of it, I'm creeping up on 1,000 hours in CK2 and I still have exactly 0 achievements because I always roll with a few mods and never play Ironman

:same:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I’m KING OF SICILY in 1067 y’all.

Im finally starting to get this game. My Chaplain is Italian, and me and the rest of my council are Norman. Everyone hates him (literally it looks like the whole court is packed in that horizontal space lmao), and we try 3 times to get him to die and they all fail, thankfully he never finding out the whole time.

In the meantime there was a meeting where we all got drunk and I fell on my fuckin face, and so I cry out help so I don’t die. One of them stops and contemplates, then calls everyone back in to judge me while I pass out. So now I’m a drunkard and he’s my rival and I wanna kill him. I want to kill him.

E: The dog my wife Sichelgaita gave me got rid of my stress trait. Good dog. :shittydog:

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 19, 2018

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

In the meantime there was a meeting where we all got drunk and I fell on my fuckin face, and so I cry out help so I don’t die. One of them stops and contemplates, then calls everyone back in to judge me while I pass out. So now I’m a drunkard and he’s my rival and I wanna kill him. I want to kill him.

Man, this event is the loving worst. The absolute best case scenario is *nothing happens*, but the downsides are getting a lovely trait, owing a favor to a councilor -- the worst possible person to owe a favor to -- or loving dying.

Grats on Sicily though! As I said upthread I'm closing in on 1,000 hours played and CK2 is probably my favorite game of all time. You're in for a treat.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah, I love 1066 Apulia -> Sicily. It's one of my favorite scenarios because you're pretty isolated from major threats, you have so many directions to expand, and you're perfectly positioned for crusading.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Zoroastrian divine marriage?

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ninjahedgehog posted:

Man, this event is the loving worst. The absolute best case scenario is *nothing happens*, but the downsides are getting a lovely trait, owing a favor to a councilor -- the worst possible person to owe a favor to -- or loving dying.

since we have some new players itt, councilors can use favors to force council expansion law votes on you. never ever owe a favor to a councilor. generally try to avoid owing anyone favors, your liege can use them to snipe an heir from you and raise them in their court (you can do this to your own vassals or co-vassals in a large realm) but councilors will almost always use a favor to gently caress you

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man I am too afraid to expand my land in Ireland. And now England has two lands in Ireland so they probably going to kill everyone else off. :sigh:

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone had two genders of horse courtier at once? A friend's game had Glitterhoof (female) and Incitatus (male). Only Glitterhoof had a horse portrait and Incitatus was missing the horse trait for some reason. They ended up having kids with a lady, since they could without the horse trait, and the children... Only the female children had the horse portrait. The male ones did not.

Glitterhoof was in China when Incitatus showed up. Maybe that has something to do with it??? IIRC, Incitatus usually kills Glitterhoof, right?

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Sep 19, 2018

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ninjahedgehog posted:

:v::hf::v:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Midnight Voyager posted:

Has anyone had two genders of horse courtier at once? A friend's game had Glitterhoof (female) and Incitatus (male). Only Glitterhoof had a horse portrait and Incitatus was missing the horse trait for some reason. They ended up having kids with a lady, since they could without the horse trait, and the children... Only the female children had the horse portrait. The male ones did not.

Glitterhoof was in China when Incitatus showed up. Maybe that has something to do with it??? IIRC, Incitatus usually kills Glitterhoof, right?

gently caress there’s some dumb poo poo in this game.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
Holy fury might very well be my first vanilla Ironman game. Huh.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

DISCO KING posted:

Holy fury might very well be my first vanilla Ironman game. Huh.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. The duel engine from HIP is far and away my favorite thing about it, but it'll essentially be in vanilla now so I may as well give it a try.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Pakled posted:

Yeah, I love 1066 Apulia -> Sicily. It's one of my favorite scenarios because you're pretty isolated from major threats, you have so many directions to expand, and you're perfectly positioned for crusading.

Conversely there's a Shia ruler on Sicily in the 1066 that I've taken a liking to while killing time for Holy Fury. It's really fun to play the bad guy to Apulia and if you can manage to survive the inevitable crusade, you'll be in a ludicrously good position to either start poo poo in Africa or keep going up the boot.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

ninjahedgehog posted:

Grats on Sicily though! As I said upthread I'm closing in on 1,000 hours played and CK2 is probably my favorite game of all time. You're in for a treat.
Yeah, that event is by far the shittiest and dumbest in the game, if only because all the options are dumb

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Remember: Murder is always an option.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Pyroi posted:

Remember: Murder is always an option.

So is just, you know, firing the guy. worst case he burns the favor forcing you to re-add him.

But yes, ideally piss him off by adding and removing honorary titles until he starts plotting then throw him in a deep dark hole til he dies

Azhais fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 19, 2018

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Are you guys talking about advisor-count who became my rival? Because I fired him, made him my court jester, and when he challenged me to a duel a couple months later, I won and chose to cut him down brutally and mercilessly right then and there, which gave me kinslayer for the rest of Robert's life, which was like less than a year after this.

The problem is that I imprisoned some other people that the council didn't approve of before he died, so even though we have a new king (changed to elective monarchy which gave everything to the just-as-amazing Duke Roger instead of my dumbass son), I still have a council in disapproval for 2 years over the actions of a dead man.

E; I didn't know events were influenced by focuses. Robert was on hunting when the drunkard event happened.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 19, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I'm pretty sure the drunkard event is part of the Carousing focus to somewhat dissuade you from carousing every chance you get with your council and all your vassals until they're all your best friends.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm pretty sure the drunkard event is part of the Carousing focus to somewhat dissuade you from carousing every chance you get with your council and all your vassals until they're all your best friends.

Nah, I've gotten it on Hunting or Scholarship focus before

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is there a good way to break up a big empire? Don't like England creeping right up to me and rather they revolt and lose half their land.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Rirse posted:

Is there a good way to break up a big empire? Don't like England creeping right up to me and rather they revolt and lose half their land.

Stab their kings until a civil war breaks out, or try to marry into the royal family and stab your way into inheriting the whole shebang.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Rirse posted:

Swear fealty and start the revolt yourself.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

The problem is that I imprisoned some other people that the council didn't approve of before he died, so even though we have a new king (changed to elective monarchy which gave everything to the just-as-amazing Duke Roger instead of my dumbass son), I still have a council in disapproval for 2 years over the actions of a dead man.

The council just automatically becomes discontent on succession, if that's the issue. Besides that people will inherit some opinion of your predecessor to prevent strategies like revoking everything before committing suicide and handing it all back out to ensure loyalty.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I'm slightly fed up with managing the result of poo poo-tier Catholic Moral Authority, so I've decided that my Empire of Britannia is going to flip to Fraticelli at some point in the future.
I guess the next step is to install some secret Frat-bros when the current Viceraines die and hope they do their bit and induct a few people into our totally-a-secret-society.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rirse posted:

Marry their sister and win.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay

kingturnip posted:

I'm slightly fed up with managing the result of poo poo-tier Catholic Moral Authority, so I've decided that my Empire of Britannia is going to flip to Fraticelli at some point in the future.
I guess the next step is to install some secret Frat-bros when the current Viceraines die and hope they do their bit and induct a few people into our totally-a-secret-society.

Is there a good way to bring down the moral authority as a Catholic? Beyond publicly converting and doing holy wars.

I flipped the empire of Italia to Fraticelli my last game, and the new game I've just started I've already got most of my court as secret Cathars.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

big dyke energy posted:

Is there a good way to bring down the moral authority as a Catholic? Beyond publicly converting and doing holy wars.

I flipped the empire of Italia to Fraticelli my last game, and the new game I've just started I've already got most of my court as secret Cathars.

Anti-popes take off 30% MA each, so that's a good one. You can also concede to religious/heretic revolts for a 5% ding, but that's a bad idea for a player.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!

big dyke energy posted:

You can also try and kick the Catholics out of their holy sites which are like what, 10% each?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What the gently caress, I finally take out the part on south of Ireland only for some rear end in a top hat vassel immediately revolted. I hired holy order mercs to help out but they don't join the fight and just sit there doing nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

Holy orders only fight enemies with a different religion.

• Locked thread