Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Sampatrick posted:

Can anybody explain why people play Mardu? All the data we have indicates that the deck is really bad but people play it anyway for some reason. Is GerryT just a really good spokesman for the deck? Especially among spikier people, I don't understand the infatuation at all.

If you’re interested in playing a fair / grindy midrange deck it’s probably the best positioned choice if that’s what you’re into. There are many decision trees and play to the deck so spikier types get to feel extra smart while playing it. Matchups vs Uw / Jeskai Control, other midrange decks, and humans are good to decent. Falls apart vs big mana. Picks up free wins on the back of blood moon and ensnaring bridge. Probably will experience a drop off in popularity once assassin’s trophy is available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
Is there any consensus yet on how many copies of Trophy people are going to be trying in Jund? Been playing straight GB recently and it seems like 4 copies is a lock there due to the Field of Ruin 'interaction'.

I'm not sold on totally cutting Pulse from the Jund maindeck, as the utility against tokens can be pretty important as well as killing PWs through spell snare.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

The Wicked Wall posted:

Is there any consensus yet on how many copies of Trophy people are going to be trying in Jund? Been playing straight GB recently and it seems like 4 copies is a lock there due to the Field of Ruin 'interaction'.

I'm not sold on totally cutting Pulse from the Jund maindeck, as the utility against tokens can be pretty important as well as killing PWs through spell snare.

If you're talking Modern, I feel like it's a straight upgrade against almost every matchup. How many decks are there where you only want to blow up permanents with CMC under 3, and they have counters? Hitting Snapcaster/Clique in UW? How many counters does Death's Shadow run?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

If you're talking Modern, I feel like it's a straight upgrade against almost every matchup. How many decks are there where you only want to blow up permanents with CMC under 3, and they have counters? Hitting Snapcaster/Clique in UW? How many counters does Death's Shadow run?

Spirits, Storm, and Burn are what come to my mind after like 20 seconds.

Shadow runs Stubborn Denial, not sure if they run any other counters main. Still, this hitting Angler is definitely not nothing.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
Worth noting that against spirits, abrupt decay is only relevant against mausoleum wanderer. Spell queller is worded so that it can hit abrupt decay.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

The Wicked Wall posted:

I think you start with 4. You’re never gonna be upset to see the card in your hand.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Rockin' Eldrazi

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Fatal Push
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
4 Assassin's Trophy
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Thought-Knot Seer

4 Eldrazi Temple
1 Forest
1 Hashep Oasis
3 Ifnir Deadlands
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
This might be he spiciest take on spirits I have ever seen: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1335024#paper

I’m the eidolon of rhetoric + fevered visions in the sideboard

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Mezzanon posted:

This might be he spiciest take on spirits I have ever seen: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1335024#paper

I’m the eidolon of rhetoric + fevered visions in the sideboard

I saw that too and it's indeed muy picante. Another drat Spirits list with Vials though :argh:

What's up with the Exquisite Firecraft in the SB? A way to get rid of planeswalkers in UWx matchups?

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
No idea. You may not have the two spells in the graveyard to trigger the uncounterable effect, especially since I have to assume you're siding out Helix in those matchups.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Your opponent dropping a turn 1 hollow one when you're on the draw is pretty depressing. Managed to only lose 2-1 since he had to mull to 5 in game 2.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

Rockin' Eldrazi

4 Birds of Paradise
4 Fatal Push
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
1 Thoughtseize
4 Assassin's Trophy
3 Liliana of the Veil
1 Liliana, the Last Hope
1 Maelstrom Pulse
4 Matter Reshaper
4 Reality Smasher
1 Scavenging Ooze
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Thought-Knot Seer

4 Eldrazi Temple
1 Forest
1 Hashep Oasis
3 Ifnir Deadlands
4 Llanowar Wastes
2 Overgrown Tomb
2 Swamp
1 Twilight Mire
4 Verdant Catacombs

Your list? Could be an interesting take that's good against normal BG rock decks.

Last night at modern at least two other people besides myself were talking about building BG midrange. Might be the big hotness at first when assassin's trophy comes out, so people will either be on board, or will do well to build a counter to it, like eldrazi decks. I still think UW control will be the top contender, just toss a spell snare into the main and side probably.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

uninverted posted:

Worth noting that against spirits, abrupt decay is only relevant against mausoleum wanderer. Spell queller is worded so that it can hit abrupt decay.

It also lets them get an extra land, it's not like Burn is countering anything at all if you look at my list.

It's also worse against Humans and Lantern. It's probably better than Abrupt Decay but the drawback is not irrelevant.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I do think it will kill Tron though. It's a 4 of maindeck card that kills the lands and can take out an Ugin or Karn, and BGx midrange was one of Tron's best matchups.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Tron was already on the downswing, I think a lot of people agree this will be a big nail in the coffin for it, at least for a while. Someone at modern night was trying to sell their tron deck last night.

Had another 4-0 night with monowhite eldrazi last night. Played Hollow1 twice, storm, and tron. Storm is a joke with that deck, tron is a joke as well. Hollow One is risky but eldrazi displacer wins SO many games.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Your list? Could be an interesting take that's good against normal BG rock decks.

Last night at modern at least two other people besides myself were talking about building BG midrange. Might be the big hotness at first when assassin's trophy comes out, so people will either be on board, or will do well to build a counter to it, like eldrazi decks. I still think UW control will be the top contender, just toss a spell snare into the main and side probably.

Yeah. I first built it back when the deserts were hitting it big in standard. I was running Decays and Oath of Nissa instead of Trophy in the original version. I'm still debating running Oath over BoPs because card selection is good. But more turn two TKS is pretty sweet.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm a stupidhead and think there's a combo possible with Lotleth Giant. It just probably involves Narcomoeba and Dread Return and probably only lives in Breakfast Burrito.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Star Man posted:

I'm a stupidhead and think there's a combo possible with Lotleth Giant. It just probably involves Narcomoeba and Dread Return and probably only lives in Breakfast Burrito.

the labman kill is probably dead since you can't run probe anymore, so maybe you run it as your way around having to go to a combat step and keep Garna, the Bloodflame in as the "regular" kill

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So many thanks to C-Euro for the deck advice. I've tried to bodge together the cards for my GW token deck. Sadly fetches and shocks won't arrive in time for Saturday, and supply was limited for other things.

Main:
4 Birds of Paradise
3 Path to Exile
3 Secure the Wastes
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Intangible Virtue
4 Call of the Conclave
4 Voice of Resurgence
3 Rootborn Defenses
3 Lingering Souls
1 Growing Ranks
2 Parallel Lives/Anointed Procession (I know these are poo poo but I love them. They'll go when I fill out the deck)
1 Advent of the Wurm (2 more will likely replace the enchantments)
1 Odric, Master Tactician
1 Elspeth Tirel

8 Forest
8 Plains
4 Sunpetal Grove
1 Westvale Abbey
1 Godless Shrine

Sideboard (Hold on to your butts)
2 Rest in Peace
2 Scavenging Ooze
1 :( Damping Sphere
4 Sundering Growth
3 Selesnya Charm
3 Pacifism

Failing to make the cut but I'm not sure if I should throw some of these in:
2 Glare of Subdual
1 Selesnya Charm
1 Increasing Devotion!
1 Anointed Procession!
Leylines of the Meek!
Wayfaring Temples!
Secure the Wastes
Druid's Deliverance
Vitu Ghazi Guildmages
Rancors
2 Elspeth, Knight Errant
Another Elspeth Tirel

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

i mean if you already know you're playing a suboptimal version because your cards in the mail, absolutely throw those glare of subdual in there and live in the opposition dream

failing that play that convoke overrun spell for the uninteractive matchups

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Are you operating on a small budget or only working with what you have?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Working with what I have now. Bought some cards to get to this point. Not opposed to spending a few more bucks, but there isn't a load of modern here.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Got shutdown by back to basics last week. Took out the underground seas and added a swamp and an island for this week.

Hopefully it goes better.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
So the version of spirits with vial AND coco is just loving gas.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Mezzanon posted:

So the version of spirits with vial AND coco is just loving gas.

Yeah. Seems weird to toss 3 vials into that deck but it just works. Tested it against BG with trophy last night and it feels favored towards spirits unless the BG opening hand has lots of discard. Kinda sucks not being able to block fliers at all.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Is it mixing Vials with Noble Hierarch? I hope not.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

Star Man posted:

Is it mixing Vials with Noble Hierarch? I hope not.

3 vials, 4 hierarch, 4 coco. Vials and Hierarch together is historically a pretty decent thing though, so you have a decent number of 1 drops to use the vial effectively very early. Less lands and rattlechains than the original bant version iirc.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Yeah it works awesome.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Oh. I have watched Kat Light play with bith Vuals and Hierarchs and she kept running into problems of having too many of each.

I understand why they're played together in Humans, but seems like overkill to have Collected Company, Noble Huerarch, and Aether Vial in the same deck.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Star Man posted:

Oh. I have watched Kat Light play with bith Vuals and Hierarchs and she kept running into problems of having too many of each.

I understand why they're played together in Humans, but seems like overkill to have Collected Company, Noble Huerarch, and Aether Vial in the same deck.

and yet it has top 4'd two GP's and won a GP in the last couple weeks.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

and yet it has top 4'd two GP's and won a GP in the last couple weeks.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Ondrej played it to a top 4, PVDDR played it to a top 4 in the team event, Oliver Moon top 4'd with it, and Ondrej also won GP Stockholm with it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Mezzanon posted:

Ondrej played it to a top 4, PVDDR played it to a top 4 in the team event, Oliver Moon top 4'd with it, and Ondrej also won GP Stockholm with it.

I looked up the lists.

Meanwhile, this Jeskai deck with Mantis Riders and Lightning Angels touches me in the right places.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=19273&d=322208&f=MO

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
lol lightning angel

Meanwhile that jeskai spirits deck posted a couple days ago seems pretty spicy. Don't know how I feel about no bolts and 4 boros charm instead though.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

lol lightning angel

Meanwhile that jeskai spirits deck posted a couple days ago seems pretty spicy. Don't know how I feel about no bolts and 4 boros charm instead though.

seems like the double strike ability can be big game since you're running significantly more creatures.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Eidolon is cute but involves casting an RR card on turn two in your UW deck and I don't know if spirits is fast enough to do 6 damage to itself and then win the Eidolon race.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
vial is just one of those cards where you need to accept some amount of risk, because the upside of having one on turn 1 is just so impactful

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Voyager I posted:

Eidolon is cute but involves casting an RR card on turn two in your UW deck and I don't know if spirits is fast enough to do 6 damage to itself and then win the Eidolon race.

pretty sure the game plane is to play UW spirits and vial in that eidolon on T3.

edit: in the jeskai spirits deck lol

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

lol lightning angel

don't @ me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Star Man posted:

They do really different things though, Vial makes your early game quicker, Company gives card advantage and late game bodies.