Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lol if your tanks aren't cursed fire elementals to start with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

I do love throwing a fireball, summoning my little fire infused gremlin, and having him immediately throw another one in that game.

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
i quickly lost interest with divinity 2. but there is a yogscast triple lp with pyrion flax, sips, and lewis that is a long and genuinely amusing trainwreck.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Universe Master posted:

I do love throwing a fireball, summoning my little fire infused gremlin, and having him immediately throw another one in that game.

I'm in the midst of a fane/skellyman lone wolf game where both are fire/earth summoners so my opening volley always includes 4 fireballs and two whirlwinds a d sets half the room on fire. It's p great

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Also an undead protip: just carry around a barrel of ooze for the whole game. It's heavy but it'll fill an infinite number of poison bottles without other mats

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Harrow posted:

Divinity Original Sin 2 is good because it's an RPG all about loving around, doing crimes, and routinely lighting entire battlefields on fire even though it's a terrible tactical decision.

Does it have Dragons and Magic?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Shibawanko posted:

The first one had a perk that let's you turn everything into a poison absorbing zombie. And then you would light your poison goop on fire because it explodes.

Really the game is about exploding things with fun combinations rather than fantasy stuff. You can also stun people by making it rain on them and electrifying the puddle.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Yes to both

I should note that I am not saying the story or setting are any good, just that it has a lot of really fun systems that work together to let the player gently caress around in fun ways and cause a lot of chaos.

It also has elves, but they're cannibals. And you can play as a skeleton

Side note, I'm always really conflicted on fantasy settings that are like "we have elves and dwarves but they're not actually like D&D elves and dwarves at all, we just call them that, we're so subversive." Like the lizardfolk in Divinity are much more like standard fantasy elves than the elves are--they're convinced they're superior, extremely skilled with magic, distant from other races, etc., and there's not really any reason to call the setting's elves "elves" at all. On the other hand, Divinity does a really good job of making their elves and dwarves not just "tall, skinny magic human and short, hairy mountain human." The elves, especially, look really alien, especially when you see how different their muscle structure is. So that part's kinda cool, I guess.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 17, 2018

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

Wasteland 2 is the most disappointing game ever.

I think it does what's advertised.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sebmojo posted:

I think it does what's advertised.

I mean, it's not an unplayable trainwreck, it's just uninspired and mediocre in literally every aspect.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Divinity 2 is really great. I love spending 6 rounds breaking through magic and physical armor and spamming aerothurge spells to keep my party alive through 3 waves of this poo poo. Because of course its really fun when encounters take 30 minutes to attempt

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

Divinity 2 is really great. I love spending 6 rounds breaking through magic and physical armor and spamming aerothurge spells to keep my party alive through 3 waves of this poo poo. Because of course its really fun when encounters take 30 minutes to attempt

There's easy mode in the game specifically for you.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Maybe they could've joined the 21st century and not designed difficulty around turning every enemy into a damage sponge

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Sounds like you didn't focus-fire on targets or make sure your party had enough damage. Also the game was pretty poorly-balanced as far as damage vs. health scaling--the game rewarded super-high damage in one damage type over everything else, and enemies had far too much elemental resistance so that damage type was probably physical--but the enhanced edition they just released rebalanced a lot of it and also made mixed magic/physical parties much more viable on high difficulties

Also long encounters are fun when there aren't a ton of them and they're individually designed and not just samey random battles.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yes to both

I should note that I am not saying the story or setting are any good, just that it has a lot of really fun systems that work together to let the player gently caress around in fun ways and cause a lot of chaos.

It also has elves, but they're cannibals. And you can play as a skeleton

Side note, I'm always really conflicted on fantasy settings that are like "we have elves and dwarves but they're not actually like D&D elves and dwarves at all, we just call them that, we're so subversive." Like the lizardfolk in Divinity are much more like standard fantasy elves than the elves are--they're convinced they're superior, extremely skilled with magic, distant from other races, etc., and there's not really any reason to call the setting's elves "elves" at all. On the other hand, Divinity does a really good job of making their elves and dwarves not just "tall, skinny magic human and short, hairy mountain human." The elves, especially, look really alien, especially when you see how different their muscle structure is. So that part's kinda cool, I guess.

lol

Are skeletons a race in that game? I want a fantasy setting where it's just like, humans, elves, dwarves and skeletons with skeleton cities with inns and shops where the NPC's make skeleton puns

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Shibawanko posted:

lol

Are skeletons a race in that game? I want a fantasy setting where it's just like, humans, elves, dwarves and skeletons with skeleton cities with inns and shops where the NPC's make skeleton puns

Each race has a corresponding skeleton race that can be played.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

The is also a skeleton race, sort of.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Yes, skeletons are a race option but maybe it's more of a modifier on the base races. You can be a skeleton of any race if you want (human, dwarf, elf, or lizard). People don't like skeletons, though, so you gotta wear masks and hide that you're a skeleton if you want NPCs not to hate you. Or you can just accept that NPCs will hate you and roll with it.

One of the premade characters/party members is a skeleton man and also it is possible to gently caress the skeleton

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Harrow posted:

Yes, skeletons are a race option but maybe it's more of a modifier on the base races. You can be a skeleton of any race if you want (human, dwarf, elf, or lizard). People don't like skeletons, though, so you gotta wear masks and hide that you're a skeleton if you want NPCs not to hate you. Or you can just accept that NPCs will hate you and roll with it.

One of the premade characters/party members is a skeleton man and also it is possible to gently caress the skeleton

Is the skeleton's penis in the shape of a bone

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I love Divinity 2. It's all the best parts of Baldur's Gate, Suikoden Rhapsodia, and Dragon Quarter.

I'm an undead lizard lady on a playthrough I'm doing with some of my buds and I love all the dumb poo poo you can do that game. The best part is accidentally stunning your own teammate because you don't know blood can be electrified.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Is the skeleton's penis in the shape of a bone

Probably

Vakal
May 11, 2008
NWN: Mask of the Betrayer is probably my favorite RPG story wise since if you followed the evil path by the end you became so goddamn power that even the gods were scared that you were going to eat them, which you could if you wanted to.

Also it was great gameplay wise since they just didn't really care about game balance. Wasn't to make a duel-weilding weapon master / monk combo that can do more attacks per round than even the game engine can animate? Go right ahead you animal.

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

It needed an ending that let you tear down the wall of the faithless.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Universe Master posted:

It needed an ending that let you tear down the wall of the faithless.

And bringing back Bishops original voice actor for his wall scene for fucks sake.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Terranigma is the best RPG

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

I mean, it's not an unplayable trainwreck, it's just uninspired and mediocre in literally every aspect.

Especially the combat. It should be illegal to make turn-based shooters without taking cues from JA2

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Vakal posted:

NWN: Mask of the Betrayer is probably my favorite RPG story wise since if you followed the evil path by the end you became so goddamn power that even the gods were scared that you were going to eat them, which you could if you wanted to.
Hilariously enough all that power came from the wall so if they had just torn it down. Sweet delicious irony.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Is there an unpopular movie opinions or perhaps just a general unpopular opinions thread somewhere because im sitting on some big ones

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

Is there an unpopular movie opinions or perhaps just a general unpopular opinions thread somewhere because im sitting on some big ones

check pyf

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Shibawanko posted:

Terranigma is the best RPG

Terranigma owns, it's a shame it didn't make its way to the US because it's better than Chrono Trigger imo

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Verisimilidude posted:

Terranigma owns, it's a shame it didn't make its way to the US because it's better than Chrono Trigger imo

Looking back this isn't exactly high praise. Chrono Trigger is by no means bad, but it's pretty average. Super Mario RPG is far superior, imo.

All of the Soul Blazer games are worth playing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Looking back this isn't exactly high praise. Chrono Trigger is by no means bad, but it's pretty average. Super Mario RPG is far superior, imo.

The battle system in SMRPG is way better but Chrono Trigger is one of like.....maybe two or three JRPGs total that have an actually engaging and interesting story. Plus the music in CT is some of the best for the system, whereas the sound design for SMRPG isn't bad so much as really weird. Both great games though.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Shibawanko posted:

lol

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

Hollow Knight is a mediocre metroidvania with boring level design.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

not so much an endorsement as it is a suggestion tbh

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

G-III posted:

Hollow Knight is a mediocre metroidvania with boring level design.

this is a very popular opinion actually

of all the people I know/follow it seems like most get a couple hours in then fall off because the game just isn't gripping

I fell off as soon as I realized that by spending all my money on the wrong items I then had to grind for the items I need to continue the story. Grinding takes a very long time in that game, so I just said "gently caress it" and moved on

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I can't stand the map system or the obnoxiously large hitspark when you take damage, it completely obscures your view.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Phantasium posted:

I can't stand the map system or the obnoxiously large hitspark when you take damage, it completely obscures your view.

the map system is very tedious and unnecessary. I also found the creature variety (at least in the 3-4 hours of gameplay I saw) to be pretty weak and uninteresting.

I appreciate certain aspects of that game, but I just don't think it's very good.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

food court bailiff posted:

The battle system in SMRPG is way better but Chrono Trigger is one of like.....maybe two or three JRPGs total that have an actually engaging and interesting story. Plus the music in CT is some of the best for the system, whereas the sound design for SMRPG isn't bad so much as really weird. Both great games though.

It had great characters and individual arcs for them, but the overarching story was just "ok." Time travel shenanigans were handled really, really well though.

I'd argue that SMRPG had better individual locations and settings, though. And a better story, from what I remember. But it's been a while.

I put Terranigma above both easily, and IoG is still a great game despite having a completely miserable tone from start to finish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Breath of Fire IV has one of the saddest and most gripping/engaging stories of any game I've played. It's music and visual style are also A+++.

Seriously though that game is loving heartless.