Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

SimonCat posted:

Has the regular Army even started training soldiers to perform the new test's events? I've been in a long time and I've never had any PT instruction that went beyond calisthenics, certainly never any instruction on how to train with weights in a gym.

Not really, but the test is also scheduled to roll out for real 1 October 2020, so there’s time to address that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

mlmp08 posted:

Not really, but the test is also scheduled to roll out for real 1 October 2020, so there’s time to address that.

As in ”not do poo poo and wait for the veritable influx of injuries and chapters, then reactively do something dumb that doesnt alleviate the problem”

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

I can't believe you guys expect anything different than the Army way of throwing more bodies/money after any problem.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
It may indeed be a poo poo show, but I grew supremely weary and wary of people, including vet goons, argle bargling about the OPAT, MOS high physical demand tests, and transgender integration. So while I have practical doubts, it makes me cautious to jump on any hatewagon about the new test considering the bogus reaponses to those other topics on the forums, off the forums, and in the vet and chickenhawk communities.

It was a mix of dumbass rumors, “first sarn’t said,” “women can’t do [job],” made up outright lies about a conspiracy to get women into jobs for political reasons, sour grapes over their own physical failings while trash-talking trans people and women, etc.

It got nearly to the level of the people who bitch and moan and cry about the mythical stress card that means you can stop working and tell off your command and you get to nap and call home and eat ice cream all day.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
01OCT2020 is plenty of time to just scrap the whole thing, too. Has the ARMY considered what we do in the Navy: let everyone be fat, not chapter anyone for physical failings and have no standards for the masses?

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Just issue Small and Medium Cammies, if you can't fit in them then you either need to lose weight or chapter out.

Solved a billion dollar issue

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
speaking of pt tests, i still think its hilarious that we are the only service that doesnt account for pt tests conducting at elevations exceeding 1 mile. im being scored the same at 8500ft as some dude at fort stewart.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ashmole posted:

speaking of pt tests, i still think its hilarious that we are the only service that doesnt account for pt tests conducting at elevations exceeding 1 mile. im being scored the same at 8500ft as some dude at fort stewart.

Captain, if you aren't properly motivating your Soldiers to exceed the Army standard under any conditions, we'll find someone else who will.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
It's almost like at every turn the army is daring you to just quit and not be in the army anymore.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nice and hot piss posted:

Just issue Small and Medium Cammies, if you can't fit in them then you either need to lose weight or chapter out.

Solved a billion dollar issue

You can kinda run CIF like that now

OKAY MEDIUM REG ON THIS SIDE, FREAKS ON THE OTHER SIDE

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it's me im the guy who needed medium short everything

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

A Bad Poster posted:

It's almost like at every turn the army is daring you to just quit and not be in the army anymore.
But don't you dare actually do it! You'll never survive on the outside!

Itchy_Grundle
Feb 22, 2003

EBB posted:

it's me im the guy who needed medium short everything

You're not alone...

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
The best part of the PT test is now everyone has to pass it, there is no profile option. I hear a lot of butthurt from senior people on profile and I’m like, I only have 2 more APFTs until I take an ACRT. I’m ready for this.

Or bitching about having to run 2 miles in under 20:00. Like what have you been doing your whole life in the Army?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Are there no alternate events or something? I knew people who genuinely couldn't run anymore due to shrapnel and poo poo in their legs but who weren't medically retired for whatever reason.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

As of now, there are no alternate events. And it kinda makes sense since they're changing the name from the APFT to the ACFT, the Army Combat Fitness Test.

Edit: Also, the 2-mile run minimums are anywhere from 18:00 for Strenuous MOSs to 21:00 for Moderate MOSs. I mean, as long as you don't walk there's no reason someone shouldn't pass the run.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 19, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Well, that 18 minute two mile is for men and women of all ages after you do a 250 meter weight sled kettlebell run sprint a majigger.

It’s not like they just made it extra slow for 18-year old males for no reason.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yeah, what sounds like a leisurely jog is probably not a lot of fun after that.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This whole thing seems like it was designed by someone who's really into competitive CrossFit.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

psydude posted:

This whole thing seems like it was designed by someone who's really into competitive CrossFit.

Bingo. I got to listen to a guy go on about how awesome it would be and he knew cross fit competitors by name and stuff and how it’ll be great to see people get booted right before retirement.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

CrossFit games: never have so many people in such good shape run so slowly

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Dude, there's gonna be so many fat people in the Army now. Like don't get me wrong, the emphasis on marathon running and not having muscle mass was dumb, but I'm pretty sure running 40 miles a week was the only thing keeping your average 20 year old E4 with a steady diet of Pizza Hut wing street boneless wings, monsters, and bud heavies from wearing maternity ACUs.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

mlmp08 posted:

Well, that 18 minute two mile is for men and women of all ages after you do a 250 meter weight sled kettlebell run sprint a majigger.

It’s not like they just made it extra slow for 18-year old males for no reason.

I did the ACFT at my gym, with some of the more crazy events modified so I didn't look like a loving psycho. I was not a fast runner before, but this run sucks rear end. Super hard to keep your cardio up that long after a CrossFit thing.

it really reminds me of how, apocryphally, the swim test became the hardest alternate event: when they made the alternate event cutoffs, they just got people to do the event who were in otherwise good shape to do the event, and got the average of their times.

But when they made the swim test guidelines, only people who swam competitively showed up to set benchmarks, so they were consistently harder to beat.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 19, 2018

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF
how is the deadlift done? i can't imagine doing 340x3 cold.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Ashmole posted:

how is the deadlift done? i can't imagine doing 340x3 cold.

That's well shy of 50% for me on a barbell and I still wouldn't like doing that without at least a couple warm-ups. If you aren't a shaved gorilla, that's going to be loving awful.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I can’t imagine soldiers wouldn’t be given at least three or four sets to warm up for a 3RM

lol of course they won’t *spine bursts out of back like a xenomorph*

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Anecdotally, how much more weight can a person life with a hex bar in comparison to a traditional barbell?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Anecdotally, how much more weight can a person life with a hex bar in comparison to a traditional barbell?

From what I understand, it's a bit safer and more natural to do a deadlift properly in a trap bar vs regular bar.

What I mean to say is you should not be able to do more, just more safely doing your max.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

I've seen up to 10-20%, but it's a lot more complex due to individual biomechanics/leverages plus how quad/hamstring/etc dominant you are.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

According to the Fielding manual, "Following the Preparation Drill, Soldiers will be given 10 minutes to conduct a self-paced warmup for the 3 Rep MDL." Then it has instructions encouraging them to do reps of increasing weight up to about 25-30% of their 3-Rep MDL.

There's an interesting sidenote in of these decks that said that 20 test Soldiers that passed the current pushups test scored 0 on the Hand-Release Pushups test.

Retrowave Joe fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 19, 2018

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Reading this and really glad that I'm out.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Naked Bear posted:

Saaaaaaaame. You just know all the hard chargers are going to make this an injury circus.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
How long do they predict this to take? Because I'm seeing this turn into a whole day affair.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

"51-54 minutes (34-37 minutes work, 17 minutes rest)*

*Time to be measured and adjusted according to defined outcomes during IOC (ACFT Field Test)"

That only includes the bare minimum passing run time, though, so expect to be out there longer waiting on slower people.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Naked Bear posted:

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Retardog posted:

There's an interesting sidenote in of these decks that said that 20 test Soldiers that passed the current pushups test scored 0 on the Hand-Release Pushups test.

wait, what? How is that even possible. It's not like it's an absurd movement to literally bring your hands up and back down to the ground.

Unless they physically have no ability to push their body off the deck, that just boggles my mind....

ARMY ARMY ARMY

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I went back and looked and it says it "demonstrates the inability to grade the APFT pushup" and "the increase in absolute workload of the T push-up."

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

hahahahah holy poo poo.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I'm ok with this change, it eliminates the subjectivity of how far down is far enough. I've been told to go down farther when my chest is bouncing off the ground and I've seen push ups that are 1" dips being counted as reps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Or that weird push up people do where they rock their body back and forth like they are sucking a horse dick