Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

I'd like to know more about their LV screen. It really sounds like Beto is going to be brining a lot of new voters to the polls, but I'm hardly qualified to say that's anything more than just a gut feeling, and even then I wouldn't know what sort of percentage change that would make. Essentially I'm just projecting my hopes onto that poll and that's pretty much worthless.

But a '14 or '16 LV model is probably as flawed now as a '12 was in '16.

If you're looking for false hope to latch on to, Trump had about a 1 in 4 shot according to Nate, if I remember right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Dameius posted:

If you're looking for false hope to latch on to, Trump had about a 1 in 4 shot according to Nate, if I remember right.

I don't think that questioning the validity of the LV model is false hope. No one ever thought this was going to be a slam dunk. And one poll that's using a questionable LV model (and let's be honest all LV's are questionable as they rely on assumptions that may or may not be true in any particular context).

People just need to keep on keeping on, not pay attention to the polls and pay attention to getting people registered and to the only polls that matter, the one November 6th. Besides even if Beto doesn't win, at this point he has the national profile and name recognition for a credible White House run in 2020.

If nothing else, Beto's campaign is siphoning off Republican resources from other more vulnerable races and that can't do anything other than help Democrats.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
Beto can flip enough Texas House and maybe Texas Senate seats to make Republicans sweat. If Dan Patrick is denied his legislative power to make whatever law he wants in the State Senate, then thats enough for me.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
538 ranks Quinnipiac really highly.

That said, it's just one poll you loving babies. All the other polls say something different.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

538 ranks Quinnipiac really highly.

That said, it's just one poll you loving babies. All the other polls say something different.

They give them an A-, which is pretty good but not top tier. For the number of polls they do, they're pretty darn good. Only a handful of pollsters with even half as many polls are above a B.

But yeah, whatever you want to read into it, just do what the thread title says.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I'll start of by saying that I am a big Beto fan. I've gone to 5 organized events here in Austin, done one phone bank and one block walk for him here. That being said, dude is not going to win. Texas republicans loving show up and vote. He will not win, but getting close accomplishes a lot. It makes Cruz look really, really bad to have such a close race in TEXAS. It draws money from republican races elsewhere. It shows the democratic leadership that fielding real candidates, and spending money here might actually not be a complete lost cause in the future.

loving get out and vote in November. Beto has come out of nowhere as far as name recognition to most of the state, and he has come out STRONG. Every vote sends a message.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Doom Rooster posted:

I'll start of by saying that I am a big Beto fan. I've gone to 5 organized events here in Austin, done one phone bank and one block walk for him here. That being said, dude is not going to win. Texas republicans loving show up and vote. He will not win, but getting close accomplishes a lot. It makes Cruz look really, really bad to have such a close race in TEXAS. It draws money from republican races elsewhere. It shows the democratic leadership that fielding real candidates, and spending money here might actually not be a complete lost cause in the future.

loving get out and vote in November. Beto has come out of nowhere as far as name recognition to most of the state, and he has come out STRONG. Every vote sends a message.

It took Roy Moore being a kiddy diddler for Doug Jones to squeak out a win. Beto ain't winning short of Cruz blowing up in some spectacular way which is very unlikely. Doesn't mean you shouldn't vote. It means the opposite!

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH7JPJfgkUw&hd=1

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

spoon daddy posted:

It took Roy Moore being a kiddy diddler for Doug Jones to squeak out a win. Beto ain't winning short of Cruz blowing up in some spectacular way which is very unlikely. Doesn't mean you shouldn't vote. It means the opposite!

Jones won on a campaign that actually bothered to focus on drumming up Democratic turnout, the kiddy diddling left Moore virtually unphased.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://twitter.com/KHOU/status/1042219313963393030

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

1.) The poll isn't great
2.) It's just one poll, even from a source as good as Quinnipac. I'll start to seriously sweat if their next one ALSO has Beto well behind the MOE.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
polls are good but they're not psychic, don't let them make you either complacent or hopeless.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Anything under 10% on the final vote count is a strategic victory. Joking despair is how every single closing in the polls was met by this thread, so it goes to show how much actual hope Beto managed to kindle in y'all that the reaction is now this.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
the TDP is the most worthless state party in the country

https://twitter.com/cd_hooks/status/1042223674223419394

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Florida Democratic Party runs failed Republicans on the ticket

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Yeah for real, we’ll always have Florida.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

They need to stop letting Pete Gallego run for stuff. And also figure out why they can’t win these gimme races in San Antonio specifically.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

How many registered voters were eligible? Turnout was probably pathetic

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

You gotta be loving kidding me man

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Hey look, more polls

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/upshot/elections-poll-tx07-1.html

This one is actually kinda interesting because it shows its breakdown very well.

quote:

WHO WILL VOTE? EST. TURNOUT OUR POLL RESULT
The types of people who voted in 2014 125k Culberson +8
Our estimate 174k Culberson +3
People whose voting history suggests they will vote, regardless of what they say 178k Culberson +4
People who say they are almost certain to vote, and no one else 181k Fletcher +9
People who say they will vote, adjusted for past levels of truthfulness 188k Culberson +2
The types of people who voted in 2016 225k Fletcher +1
Every active registered voter 338k Fletcher +5
All estimates based on 500 interviews

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
The Democrats won Bexar. Other counties were a lot harder.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TropicalCoke posted:

The Democrats won Bexar. Other counties were a lot harder.

Barely. 7% turnout in Bexar. Makes me sad.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/theplumlinegs/status/1042387721241722882?s=12

Beto’s back baby

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

There is no world where both Beto and Heller win

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lmao

that quinnipiac is way more accurate :ssh:

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

lmao

538 rates Ipsos a B+ and Quinnipiac an A-

They ain' that far off each other.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Maybe the the truth is somewhere in the mid- :suicide:

I'm not even sure what kind of polling I want to see more of, whatever kind gives people enough reason to goddamn show up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I think in Texas you want to see polls with Beto up because Texas Dems usually get their asses beat. Beto leading in polls is likely to spur more excitement because it feels different this time. I don't think Democrats in Texas are ever likely to go "Oh, the Democrat is going to win I don't have to vote"

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Folks, it's the aggregate that's important

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/SriPKulkarni/status/1042157504069857280

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
It still has the zomato watermark. :psyduck:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/SamuelMTaylor/status/1042249877642780673

Cheers to Texas GOP JEERS to Texas dems

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

i say swears online posted:

lmao

all polls are bullshit

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

PostNouveau posted:

I think in Texas you want to see polls with Beto up because Texas Dems usually get their asses beat. Beto leading in polls is likely to spur more excitement because it feels different this time. I don't think Democrats in Texas are ever likely to go "Oh, the Democrat is going to win I don't have to vote"

Not anytime soon that's for sure

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

All Beto needs to do is stay in the margin of error and I'll feel pretty decent heading into November.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Today in completely unsurprising news

https://twitter.com/statesman/status/1042423998506786816

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Well, no more guns for him, hopefully.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lmao

In further lmaos
https://twitter.com/lmcgaughy/status/1042393658258087937

It was stuff like "breaking: Kavanaugh's former classmate said he pulled her hair in the 5th grade"

https://twitter.com/Forrest4Trees/status/1042431776491294722
:hmmyes:

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 19, 2018

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I went out on a second date with a librarian last night, and she brought me a present: a voter registration card. We talked about politics during our first date which is how I found out I was saying Beto's name wrong (it's BET-o not BEET-o).

I filled out the card when I got home, and stuck it in the mailbox. I guess I'm participating in the democratic process as party of society again...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The Texas Democratic Party is right now hard at work brainstorming ways to nominate Pete Gallego to run for every race in the state.