Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

Alright I think I've got my technique down. Very close to my "grail" pizza.

1000g Caputo 00
650g Water
30g Salt
1 g IDY

No autolyse, I've found it didn't make any difference. Just mix the salt and water, use the paddle attachment, and add flour until a very thick batter has formed. Sprinkle in the yeast while the mixer runs to distribute it (this seemed to make a huge difference). Then swap to the hook and add the rest of the flour. Pour out, let it rest, and do a 4-way stretch and fold. Cover, rest 10 mins, stretch and fold. Repeat until the dough looks silky smooth. Rise at room temp 12 hrs, ball, proof for 12 hrs, checking every now and then to see if the balls have over-risen. In my proofing tray, the balls will just start to touch each other when they've hit their peak rise. If they look like they're going too quickly, retard a bit in the fridge.

This batch I sliced the basil into ribbons and mixed it into the sauce before topping - half my guests liked it, half (including myself) liked the whole leaves better.

In the PP oven, I had significantly underestimated how much flame I needed. The floor should be at 800+ with a roaring fire.

forbidden dialectics fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 19, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

god drat

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

That's like my platonic ideal looking neapolitan pie, drat. That tomato sauce looks spicy and delicious especially.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

forbidden dialectics posted:

Alright I think I've got my technique down. Very close to my "grail" pizza.

In the PP oven, I had significantly underestimated how much flame I needed. The floor should be at 800+ with a roaring fire.

This is a very choice pizza and it looks stunning, bet it tasted just as good!
In the PP oven, you really do have to manage the proper deck heat while making sure to pump the top heat when cooking. Anthony from Una Pizza Napoletana used to (still does?) use wood shavings/bark to dump on the fire right before cooking pizzas to give a burst of heat. The trick is keeping the deck from getting too hot and burning pies on the bottom before the top cooks. But honestly it looks like you've nailed it so now it's all just tweaking this or that every time you cook!

EDIT:
What kind of wood are you burning? All good, clean hardwood?

ogopogo fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Sep 19, 2018

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

ogopogo posted:

This is a very choice pizza and it looks stunning, bet it tasted just as good!
In the PP oven, you really do have to manage the proper deck heat while making sure to pump the top heat when cooking. Anthony from Una Pizza Napoletana used to (still does?) use wood shavings/bark to dump on the fire right before cooking pizzas to give a burst of heat. The trick is keeping the deck from getting too hot and burning pies on the bottom before the top cooks. But honestly it looks like you've nailed it so now it's all just tweaking this or that every time you cook!

EDIT:
What kind of wood are you burning? All good, clean hardwood?

I'm using kiln-dried apple from a local guy that makes wood specifically for cooking (http://www.cookingwoods.com). After preheating and moving the coal bed to the side and putting in the heat separator, I usually put a couple logs on the right side away from the fire. They get hot and smoulder, so when I plop them on the coals they ignite instantly. This helps a lot in the lulls between pies when the flames tend to die down a bit, but the floor is still plenty hot.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If you want more toppings that piss off people who are not eating the pizza: sweetcorn.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
well i moved recently and my new place has a gas oven :( and even though i can set the max temp to 500, according to my new oven thermometer it actually maxes out at 450 and definitely does not recover heat as fast as my former electric oven did.

I made a couple pizzas last night, and while they were a bit too much dough (probably should have used about 12-13oz instead of 15-16oz) i didnt get a single bit of blackening on the bottom and hardly any real browning :(

so what is the best solution for getting back to 500? i preheated for over an hour but i guess i could put the pizza steel on a burner and then struggle to get it into the oven but i'm not exactly wild about that since the steel is so unwieldy

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is the broiler on the top? Maybe after preheating for an hour you can turn the broiler on high and let it heat the steel that way for a bit. I’ve managed to get my steel up to about 600 doing that, where my stove maxes at 550.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Mushroom pizza!

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I tried to make a pesto/mozz/tomato/artichoke pizza and failed :saddowns: made a decent calzone though.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I was gonna try and make Chicago style deep dish pizza, but I don't have a mixer for the crust. Could I just mix it by hand to get similar results?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

seiferguy posted:

I was gonna try and make Chicago style deep dish pizza, but I don't have a mixer for the crust. Could I just mix it by hand to get similar results?

This person says it can be done.

No food processor either?

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Heners_UK posted:

This person says it can be done.

No food processor either?

I have a very very small food processor. I suppose my ninja blender has a dough blade (I completely forgot about it till now) so I could probably use that.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'd say it's doable, but I've attempted to do the creaming method by hand (not recommended) so my threshold on viability might be a bit skewed.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Used the ninja blender with the dough hook. Final result:

It was... very good.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I’ve finally been given the okay by my family to make homemade pizza for dinner this weekend...... I’ll believe it when it actually happens, but in the meantime I’m putting together a shopping list for stuff I need.

I’m thinking about using this recipe unless this thread has a better one.

I’m planning to cook it on my Big Green Egg because according to AmazingRibs they’re really good for making pizza. My first question is do I absolutely need a pizza stone or steel, or can I put the pizza on an oiled cast iron grate? And if I do need a pizza stone, will a lovely one from Bed Bath and Beyond work in a pinch (assuming I buy something better later)?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 25, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

My fist question is do I absolutely need a pizza stone or steel, or can I put the pizza on an oiled cast iron grate? And if I do need a pizza stone, will a lovely one from Bed Bath and Beyond work in a pinch (assuming I buy something better later)?

Pizza on a grate is a valid option but the cook method is different and results asimilar to stone/steel.

I'd honestly go straight to steel if you can, but a boring stone will do if you want it. Last time I used a stone over charcoal it cracked quickly though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Heners_UK posted:

Pizza on a grate is a valid option but the cook method is different and results asimilar to stone/steel.

I'd honestly go straight to steel if you can, but a boring stone will do if you want it. Last time I used a stone over charcoal it cracked quickly though.

I’m not sure if I’ll be able to get a steel until Christmas, but I’ll look into it.

What’s a good steel that’ll fit on a round grill with an 18 inch diameter?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
The big Green egg pizza stone is pretty resilient and I used it a couple hundred times before I gifted it to my mom when I got a baking steel

Don't try to cook directly on the grate on the BGE.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Belgian endive, goat cheese, salami, pesto, mozz, pecorino, Di Napoli tomatoes, basil, olive oil, sourdough

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got a stone. Now I have a question about tomatoes.

I decided to try making pizza sauce from scratch, and I bought two kinds of tomatoes at the store because I wasn’t sure which one is better for the job: “Roma” tomatoes, which are about the size of my fist, and “San Marzano” tomatoes, which are these little things that are about an inch and a half long and may or may not be actual San Marzanos. Which of these are better for making sauce?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

I decided to try making pizza sauce from scratch, and I bought two kinds of tomatoes at the store because I wasn’t sure which one is better for the job: “Roma” tomatoes, which are about the size of my fist, and “San Marzano” tomatoes, which are these little things that are about an inch and a half long and may or may not be actual San Marzanos. Which of these are better for making sauce?

San Marzano is regarded as more authentic for Neapolitan pizzas, but both are good tomatoes for sauces overall. If I remember right, the San Marzano would be better for laying out in ribbons on a Neapolitan pizza if you weren't going to use sauce since it breaks down a bit flimsier. Note that I'm rambling about Neapolitan pizza a lot here; none of these really matters outside of that particular domain. You can smash the two varietals together in your sauce for all it matters.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

I. M. Gei posted:

I loving love the sauce that kenji uses for his detroit style pizza recipe. I could basically drink it. It's just olive oil and melted butter, use that to toast garlic/oregano/chili flakes for a minute, add tomatos, sugar (yea some sugar in sauce is good, dwi) and extra garlic and onion powder. Then it simmers for 45 minutes or so.

(Also add anchovy/anchovy paste with the garlic/oregano/chili flakes even though the recipe doesn't call for it, because that poo poo makes every sauce better).

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 26, 2018

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

What’s a good steel that’ll fit on a round grill with an 18 inch diameter?

This, but take some time to research the actual methods you intend to use first. Occasionally steel directly over coals with pizza on top isn't the best choice. I've not personally done it. Sometimes cooking surfaces can be too hot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

San Marzano is regarded as more authentic for Neapolitan pizzas, but both are good tomatoes for sauces overall. If I remember right, the San Marzano would be better for laying out in ribbons on a Neapolitan pizza if you weren't going to use sauce since it breaks down a bit flimsier. Note that I'm rambling about Neapolitan pizza a lot here; none of these really matters outside of that particular domain. You can smash the two varietals together in your sauce for all it matters.

I guess I’m just a little confused because I thought San Marzanos were... y’know, bigger.

Anyway I’m probably gonna switch over to Kenji’s New York-style pizza recipe, and I might as well dump out all of my remaining questions here.

1. How the gently caress do I peel and de-seed those tiny little “San Marzano” tomatoes?
2. Is it absolutely necessary to use bread flour for this dough recipe, or would all-purpose flour work too?
3. Is anchovy paste a good thing to add to sauce if I loving hate anchovies?
4. Where do I buy anchovy paste?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Just go with a can of peeled whole San Marzano tomatoes, it'll be fine. You can either smush em up with your hands, a potato masher, or an immersion blender depending on how smooth you like your sauce. I've never ever de-seeded tomatoes, I don't know how is even do it heh.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

I. M. Gei posted:

I guess I’m just a little confused because I thought San Marzanos were... y’know, bigger.

Anyway I’m probably gonna switch over to Kenji’s New York-style pizza recipe, and I might as well dump out all of my remaining questions here.

1. How the gently caress do I peel and de-seed those tiny little “San Marzano” tomatoes?
2. Is it absolutely necessary to use bread flour for this dough recipe, or would all-purpose flour work too?
3. Is anchovy paste a good thing to add to sauce if I loving hate anchovies?
4. Where do I buy anchovy paste?

1. As has already been recommended, just use a can of San Marzano tomatoes, or even California "San Marzano style" tomatoes...they are probably better quality than whatever you're buying fresh in the grocery store this time of year anyway.
2. A pizza dough benefits a lot from the extra protein and resulting gluten that bread flour provides, but you can use AP in a pinch. The crust will be a little bit less crispy and chewy but it's not the end of the world.
3. Yes, it is only there to add umami and will not make the sauce taste like anchovies. Alternatively, you can add some fish sauce instead to get the same effect.
4. It can be hard to find at your run-of-the-mill grocery store. Fall back on fish sauce if you can't find it.

Also, I highly recommend buying Ken Forkish's book The Elements of Pizza. He covers a ton of different styles in that book and gives recipes and techniques that will fit whatever circumstances you are working with from, "I have a bonafide pizza oven that gets up to 999 degrees" to "I woke up this morning and decided I want pizza for lunch and all I have to cook it in is an oven."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Belgian endive, goat cheese, salami, pesto, mozz, pecorino, Di Napoli tomatoes, basil, olive oil, sourdough

Hachi machi. What bake method are you using? What dough?

Stuff like this needs to be my next steps, as my New York style in my oven is on lockdown.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Hachi machi. What bake method are you using? What dough?

Stuff like this needs to be my next steps, as my New York style in my oven is on lockdown.

This is a neapolitan style sourdough pizza, 63% hydration using Caputo 00 blue bag flour. Instead of yeast I use my starter, which constitutes about 20% of the final dough. I cook them in my wood fired Pizza Party oven, around 850-900F for 90-120 seconds :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ogopogo posted:

This is a neapolitan style sourdough pizza, 63% hydration using Caputo 00 blue bag flour. Instead of yeast I use my starter, which constitutes about 20% of the final dough. I cook them in my wood fired Pizza Party oven, around 850-900F for 90-120 seconds :)

Oh yeah you're THAT GUY :(

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

'That guy' responding to a request about recipe and technique with a detailed reply?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
No, "that guy" who has a dope af pizza oven trailer and a pop-up pizzeria business.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ogopogo posted:

what's the lowest % starter that's given you good results?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Mikey Purp posted:

No, "that guy" who has a dope af pizza oven trailer and a pop-up pizzeria business.

Speaking of goon-owned pizzerias, Doom Rooster have you opened your own pizza place yet? You talked about it earlier in the thread and your pics and combos are always amazing.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Mikey Purp posted:

Haha, it's still a very much small time operation, rest assured, and it's been an 8 year journey to get to this. Pizza has been in a huge upswing in everything lately, it's awesome to see how pretty much anyone can make dope pizza at home with basic stuff. Once you even get a little bit obsessed with making a certain style, it's easy to fall into a hole of pizza lifestyle!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

what's the lowest % starter that's given you good results?

I think I was loving with 60% and a touch lower for a while, but I live in Las Vegas - humidity is around 28-32% or lower depending, so I found with the sourdough that going any lower just messed with the fermentation quality of the dough. I've found a sweet spot for my dough where I can do a room temp fermentation for 12-18 hours with this hydration and turn out great pizzas. Depending on the event, I'll store balled up dough in a walk-in for 12-18 hours after a bulk ferment. Every batch I am constantly tweaking this or that, finding what works best in certain weather/temps/humidity and keeping a log of that to refer to for upcoming pop-ups or events. Summer dough is different than winter dough, and that's what I love about pizza and my sourdough - it has a consistent flavor and taste, but the methods to get there can vary quite a bit.

I. M. Gei posted:

Speaking of goon-owned pizzerias, Doom Rooster have you opened your own pizza place yet? You talked about it earlier in the thread and your pics and combos are always amazing.

I'm curious about this as well, his pizzas are always loving amazing looking, and I'm sure they taste even better.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

Yes that guy. Only respect was meant.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

I even read your op wrong and left out a word in my mind. My bad for blowing this out of proportion.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

I. M. Gei posted:

Assuming we are talking about using tomatoes without sauce, then you would slice those tomatoes into droopy ribbons and lay then around the pizza--as opposed to medallions or little chunks.

San Marzanos are generally oblong so their size can be confused due to their shape. I don't think they are particularly large, but that is in a world where we are used to BEEFSTEAK tomatoes and stuff like that which isn't really pizza-friendly anyways.

It's moot if you're making sauce with them.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I maaaaaay have overkneaded my pizza dough. It’s springing back when I press on it, but when I fold it it doesn’t really mix into itself, if that makes any sense; it’s kinda like folding doughy paper. It also tears when I try to stretch it (i.e. it doesn’t pass the windowpane test).

I was supposed to knead it once or twice, and I kneaded it... I didn’t count how many times I kneaded it but it was a lot more than twice.

I should probably also mention that this is my first time kneading pizza dough, or bread dough of any kind for that matter.

Should I throw this dough out and start over?

Pics

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Is it still cold? Can't remember which dough you went with but kenjis NY pizza has a cold ferment and that requires some time at room temp