Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Space Flower posted:

i think you'd like it anzu, the anime is also a passion project by a bunch of young digital animators who follow the same artists on twitter as you

ngl a big draw is it being character designed by an imas cg anime designer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

gmq posted:

I still can't get through Yama no Susume's first season, I can't believe it turns into something deserving of all that praise. :negative:

The first season is pretty light fare compared to what comes after. If you like find it a slog to watch I don't know that season 2 will turn it around for you, but if what you want is just more substance it might just be worth it to skip ahead to season 2.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

gmq posted:

I still can't get through Yama no Susume's first season, I can't believe it turns into something deserving of all that praise. :negative:

The first season is pretty good too :ssh:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Julias posted:

The first season is pretty good too :ssh:

Julias, the implication of this post is that if you don’t like the first season, you wouldn’t like the others either.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

gmq posted:

the first season is like thirty minutes long in its entirety

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

The Colonel posted:

the first season is like thirty minutes long in its entirety

Which speaks volumes at how bad it is at retaining my attention. It's like my eyes slip off the screen. I think the 5-minute format is what annoys me, it's not like I don't like the genre.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Gonna strap gmq into a clockwork orange chair and blast all of teekyuu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'i cant believe this show could be good, it has girls in it'

anyway yama no susume isnt pushed forward by an actual narrative goal like antarctica and it has plenty of breather episodes/gag episodes but its also a show that is just incredibly dedicated to exploring the dynamics of its characters, how they push and pull at each other, and it does this with such a deft hand and has such a talented staff that even things like the little quirks of expression between characters, the tiny moments and exchanges, can be really, really memorable and affecting. i wouldn't call it a drama or plot-driven, exactly, a lot of the show is just little moments between characters and chatter, but it's a show with a great cast that is about exploring that cast's strengths and flaws and how they rely on each other. the firefly episode in season 2 is both incredibly moving and is literally just an extended gag about two characters remembering a childhood event differently.

there is actual drama, like the mt. fuji arc, but its not propelled forward by anything other than the character's emotional needs, there's no actual reason or external force making it so they have to climb mt. fuji, it's just something they want to do and the drama unfolds naturally as a result of that decision and their own personalities and expectations.

the half-length format means that a ton of care can be given to each individual scene, and that each second has to count, and the show does both those things very well. the simple designs and willingness to go a bit off-model mean that the characters expressions can really pop, and the show is willing to be very subtle about communicating its drama and its characters arcs, and theres a real texture to how each character reacts to things, especially hinata and aoi.

i do think it has similarities to antarctica in that its a story about characters struggling to understand each other, but susume's tone is much more laid back, and there's, again, no real external force pushing them together, so its less 'a messed-up gaggle of girls come of age' and more just a group of kids slowly growing into themselves and bumping up against each other along the way. that isn't a negative thing, exactly, just its tone is different. the half-length format also keeps it from dragging things out too much, though. the least focused on character getting an entire episode to herself about her friendship with a two-off side character couldn't last 26 minutes, but as a 13-minute thing it doesn't outlast its welcome and lets the two get some texture that they otherwise probably wouldn't have. likewise, the show can have pretty traditional narrative arcs ('drama happens' 'fallout' 'resolution') across multiple episodes without feeling like its dragging its feet on any one part of that, or cramming too much into one episode. so i think its format is a definite advantage for what its trying to do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also Hinata makes a face like this at least once an episode.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Wish I had that shot of her unhinging her jaw to eat a sandwich handy...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wish I had that shot of her unhinging her jaw to eat a sandwich handy...
wish i had the 'expand dong' type meme that used cut up anime logo letters to read 'ENCOURAGEMENT OF EATING A GIANT loving HOAGIE'

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

The space for Yama no Susume's first season got engulfed by Girls und Panzer before, and Chihayafuru during, both in terms of quality execution and discussion. And back then shorts weren't really given any benefit of the doubt, and Yama no Susume's slightly awkward pacing and lower visual quality in those first episodes made it easy to dismiss.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

And back then shorts weren't really given any benefit of the doubt

Personally there isn't a single <5 minute show I would strongly recommend Puchimas (though Encouragement of Climb is not one of the many I've watched) but they're only 5 minutes so you might as well try them if they sound even vaguely interesting and see if they click.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Polsy posted:

Personally there isn't a single <5 minute show I would strongly recommend

Yo there's lots of shorts that are among my favorites, like Wakakozake and Tonkatsu DJ and fuckin Nobunaga no Shinobi.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

an actual dog posted:

Yo there's lots of shorts that are among my favorites, like Wakakozake and Tonkatsu DJ and fuckin Nobunaga no Shinobi.

I've seen more good shorts than I have good full series anime.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*taps microphone clearly, clears throat*

Teekyuu.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

*smacks microphone with more energy and force, gargles mouthwash*

Yamishibai.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

iirc tonkatsu was half length but yeah it's good. miss bernard said is a real good <5 mn short though

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't Galko-chan also like 5 minutes a pop? And that was the bee's knees.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really enjoyed Aiura, but that seemed to fly below everyone's radar

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't Galko-chan also like 5 minutes a pop? And that was the bee's knees.

It was 8, they'd barely get past an episode's premise in the typical <5 minute format (1 minute OP, 2 minutes content)

Guy Goodbody posted:

I really enjoyed Aiura, but that seemed to fly below everyone's radar

Yeah, I watched that and liked it and I'd suggest it if someone had 5 minutes to spare, but I probably wouldn't give it a general rec

Anyway, other people liked it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Ai Mai Mii was also a really good absurd short

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Best forever and always: Turning Girls

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
Kaerun always has a place in my heart to return to

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Imagine a Turning Girls season 2 but now they're all nearing 40.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

K. Flaps posted:

when can i watch this

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Living the dream~

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The fujo Turning Girl shipping hot and cold water while working overtime is the pinnacle of Art.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Turning Girls is low-key Trigger's best show.

K. Flaps posted:

Make this happen please.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
there needs to be a Drinking Girls anime

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Guy Goodbody posted:

there needs to be a Drinking Girls anime

Too good for this darkest timeline.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

You had Taku Nomi earlier this year, which was drinking girls. (Also heavy-handed product placement.)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That was a good show, and made me want Japanese beer

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
It was and same

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Is there any manga/anime about Whiskey, though?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

as a central conceit i dunno if any have made it to english, but there are chapters of Bartender with whiskey drinks and also an Oishinbo chapter about whiskey

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I probably drink more wine and whiskey than beer, and it kinda bums me out that manga is all about dem beers and sake. :(

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
There is a scene in Servant x Service where Lucy gets offered vodka by a stuffed animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wark Say posted:

I probably drink more wine and whiskey than beer, and it kinda bums me out that manga is all about dem beers and sake. :(

• Locked thread