Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

VJeff posted:

I thought we were talking about the 5D's dub - which was pretty bad. I mean all the dubs are bad. They look ugly, they sound bad, the delivery is stilted, the dialog is stilted. They're just really poorly produced shows, without even comparing them to the originals.

I know the Arc-V dub had more people who were actually fans of the series involved they really tried to do what they could with the material but you can only do so much.

I was definitely talking about 5D's. On the subject of the Arc-V dub, though: how did they let "Zuzu Boyle" happen? I get that a 4Kids dub is going to rename the characters to Americanize them, but Zuzu?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

King of Solomon posted:

I was definitely talking about 5D's. On the subject of the Arc-V dub, though: how did they let "Zuzu Boyle" happen? I get that a 4Kids dub is going to rename the characters to Americanize them, but Zuzu?

They named Shuzo "Skip Boyle", because he's hot blooded and just didn't think about how silly that'd make Yuzu's name? I dunno. The names in Arc-V ran the gamut from cute to terrible and Zuzu definitely lands closer to the latter edge.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

They mostly stopped doing that shortly after starting Synchro. Even super-japanese names like Chojiro Tokumatsu stayed as-is. They've started doing it to a few characters in Vrains, but mostly to keep name puns consistent. Characters without punny names like Naoki Shima are just called that.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

In Japanese, the Yu-boys' names start with Yuu, but Yuzu is just Yu. You lose that distinction in English, so they probably wanted to make it clearer since the girls don't have a similar shared name element.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Honestly, name changing is hardly just a 4kids thing. Pokemon, Digimon, Yokai Watch and Pretty Cure all do it too (and I think so did Doraemon). I respect the Yugioh and Pretty Cure dubs for at least trying to keep name meanings consistent across the translation. As opposed to to Digimon's changing a Japanese name into an English one that sounds similar and Pokemon's just picking a name seemingly at random.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

VJeff posted:

They named Shuzo "Skip Boyle", because he's hot blooded and just didn't think about how silly that'd make Yuzu's name? I dunno. The names in Arc-V ran the gamut from cute to terrible and Zuzu definitely lands closer to the latter edge.

Dipper O'Rion. :argh:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Vandar posted:

Dipper O'Rion. :argh:

That is literally the one good name change, tho

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kay Kessler posted:

They mostly stopped doing that shortly after starting Synchro. Even super-japanese names like Chojiro Tokumatsu stayed as-is. They've started doing it to a few characters in Vrains, but mostly to keep name puns consistent. Characters without punny names like Naoki Shima are just called that.

I mean Chojiro is a pretty bad example, his deck is so inherently Japanese you'd have a real hard time trying to localise him. And then most of the other Synchro characters had non-Japanese names anyway.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Speaking of the dub and the Synchro dimension, did they just completely write out the Yugo jokes? There's no way you can get that to translate.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

Speaking of the dub and the Synchro dimension, did they just completely write out the Yugo jokes? There's no way you can get that to translate.

It's actually kind of clever, I think. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70IF8cGVuPk

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

For the Selena/Yugo exchange, they rewrote it so the punchline is him calling her "Rin" again.

For Yuri they just had him forgetting Yugo's name.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Another thing I love about VRAINS is characters just making GBS threads themselves over old cards. This week's episode had everyone in utter shock and playing exclusively around the most terrifying card of all: Magic Cylinder

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again.

Revolver is that guy you run into online that hasn’t played since the Duel Monsters era and is running a crappy Dragon deck and manages to steal wins because he runs old janky poo poo that no one is expecting.

Mirror Force. :argh:

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Vandar posted:

I said it earlier and I’ll say it again.

Revolver is that guy you run into online that hasn’t played since the Duel Monsters era and is running a crappy Dragon deck and manages to steal wins because he runs old janky poo poo that no one is expecting.

Mirror Force. :argh:

I legitimately love how much of a big deal the show made out of Revolver having Mirror Force. And then they gave him Mirror Force Launcher or something to support it because ~Mirror Force~

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/BandaiNamcoLA/status/1042454636353998849

:stare:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
No-one can look worse than the Hunter x Hunter charact-

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad the anime is giving due respect to the worst card in all of YGO history by showcasing how goddamn OP it is.

Now, if Mirror Force could make it into a ban list, I'll be delighted.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Mirror Force isn’t OP at all.

Maybe some of the elemental versions are slightly powerful, but the original got powercreeped a long time ago.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Hate-Senpai posted:

I'm glad the anime is giving due respect to the worst card in all of YGO history by showcasing how goddamn OP it is.

They stopped showing Pot of Greed years ago.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Rudoku posted:

I'm looking forward to Revolver playing it.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rudoku posted:

All Pot of Greed does is give you a +1 advantage, Mirror Force can theoretically give you a +∞ advantage by clearing out your opponent's monster zone, thereby terminating the countless of possible futures that could have resulted from each of the 5 monsters. That's 5 * ∞ for the mathematically disinclined.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Hate-Senpai posted:

Now, if Mirror Force could make it into a ban list, I'll be delighted.

This post is dumb

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Rudoku posted:

Thank God, most confusing card ever.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

This post is dumb

On the contrary, it transcends human intelligence

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stNcR94uM5w

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It’s embarrassing that this is coming out in a world that has Dragon Ball FighterZ.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That's really sad because I should be hyped as hell for this kind of crossover and Yugi would get me super happy in any other circumstance but...this game looks so bad. So, so bad.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Dunno, I think the art style works well for that idea of being the real world the one in risk. Is just that trying to keep the original art style in a 3D version leads to everyone looking weird as gently caress unless the original art style was realistic looking to begin with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dunno, I think the art style works well for that idea of being the real world the one in risk. Is just that trying to keep the original art style in a 3D version leads to everyone looking weird as gently caress unless the original art style was realistic looking to begin with.

They arent preserving the original art style though? Naruto looks worse than in the Storm games.

If they were more stylized instead of looking like some perma-slick, shiny skinned Oblivion anime character mods theyd look better. For a good example on stylization in 3d and synthesis of multiple styles:

It just takes a little morr effort.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I think this has plenty of effort put into it.

It just has its heart in the wrongest place.

It's a terrible, terrible idea. But I'm all for it. Look at that gritty, hideous Yugi and his sausage fingers and overtextured pants. I love it. It's ugly, it's a dumb "lets appeal to western audience!" style and it's as close to Objectively Bad as you can get. And it owns.

I really hope All Might gets in and they make his beefcake bod super veiny and awkward.

MorningMoon fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Oct 4, 2018

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I think this has plenty of effort put into it.

It just has its heart in the wrongest place.

It's a terrible, terrible idea. But I'm all for it. Look at that gritty, hideous Yugi and his sausage fingers and overtextured pants. I love it. It's ugly, it's a dumb "lets appeal to western audience!" style and it's as close to Objectively Bad as you can get. And it owns.

I really hope All Might gets in and they make his beefcake bod super veiny and awkward.

If All Might doesn't look like Jinder Mahal, we riot.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

I still can't believe that Microsoft showed this off as part of their E3 show and hyped it up like it was going to be the greatest game to ever come out of Japan.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The Bee posted:

If All Might doesn't look like Jinder Mahal, we riot.

You mean like this?

https://i.imgur.com/QQdbCyX.jpg

or covered with bacne?

I'm not subjecting myself to his disgusting back

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
So, are they actually trying to make Revolver sympathetic?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Yup. He's a good person, who doesn't believe himself to be good at all and is having issues with handling his dead dad's final wishes.

How he handles Ai is interesting. He could try and kill him, he knows where Yusaku and therefore Ai are. He can just come in any day with his friends and off him at the food truck, but he cares about Yusaku and doesn't want to directly harm or upset him. Revolver also seems to realize that Ai isn't entirely bad, so he's just leaving him for last since there's other Ignises who are actively violent to handle, and he'll be pretty conflicted but ultimately determined to off Ai... just that can wait, and he might not be able to pull the trigger as it were.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Is VRAINS good now? All of that sounds interesting but I dropped it a few episodes ago, should I watch it again?

Also the Arc-V manga is still good and it surprises me how it's managing to actually keep up its quality unlike the anime. It seems it'll also end in Yuya vs Reiji but on a much worse situation, so that should be interesting.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is VRAINS good now? All of that sounds interesting but I dropped it a few episodes ago, should I watch it again?

Also the Arc-V manga is still good and it surprises me how it's managing to actually keep up its quality unlike the anime. It seems it'll also end in Yuya vs Reiji but on a much worse situation, so that should be interesting.

It's better, but it's still pretty slow. But we've only gone through One recap episode in the last 30 or so.

Bohman sums up the show pretty well. He's an extremely interesting character who is made to kick off the exciting incident of season 2, his gimmick with memory make him a strong foil to Playmaker, with something that Soulburner and Go can also thematically relate to. He has dueled Playmaker exclusively, never beating him and just going "ooooh i'll getchu next time!" before driving away, Yusaku no closer to getting what he wants to get out of Bohman each time. The themes and character interaction are good, but the action and progression are terrible for this kind of show. He shows up to challenge Playmaker's view of the world and to show what Playmaker has going that makes him a full human. He shows up to job to Playmaker and give him an excuse to win with a new ace monster for a pack.

I'm really enjoying it, but I'm not sure I can recommend it unless you're down for 150ish episodes where one to three exciting things happen each cour.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Holy poo poo, so far the Vrains dub is actually loving hilarious. Not as funny as the GX dub, but pretty close. The dude playing AI (who coincidentally voiced all the Yuyas in ArcV) consistently steals every scene he's in.

The voice acting has been decent too. The "worst" casting is probably Akira, who's only just wooden rather than bad.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Kay Kessler posted:

Holy poo poo, so far the Vrains dub is actually loving hilarious. Not as funny as the GX dub, but pretty close. The dude playing AI (who coincidentally voiced all the Yuyas in ArcV) consistently steals every scene he's in.

The voice acting has been decent too. The "worst" casting is probably Akira, who's only just wooden rather than bad.

Out of curiosity, who's dubbing Yugioh now that 4Kids is out of the picture?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Larryb posted:

Out of curiosity, who's dubbing Yugioh now that 4Kids is out of the picture?

Still them. They just rebranded themselves into 4k Media and are now owned by Konami's western branch. So they're pretty much "the Yugioh dubbing company" now like TPCI is for Pokemon.

I do think they changed writers for Vrains, though. In the last two series characters would just spout puns unprompted, but now it seems like the jokes are more thought out. It helps that Vrains has designated comedy characters like Ai and Shiima so other characters can be serious.