Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

My gut feeling is that the Nintendo classic sales were hugely driven by folks who remember Nintendo from their childhoods but stopped playing games and picked those things up for the nostalgia/novelty.

The follow-up being that there are probably way fewer of those for PS1. Maybe in the UK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Finally a way to play a worse version of FF7 than the 12 copies I already own.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
also it's $100. at this rate the gamecube mini is gonna be the price of a gamecube

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

great another console i need to fit up my butt

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

My gut feeling is that the Nintendo classic sales were hugely driven by folks who remember Nintendo from their childhoods but stopped playing games and picked those things up for the nostalgia/novelty.

The follow-up being that there are probably way fewer of those for PS1. Maybe in the UK

Definitely but no one here is gong to care if it doesn't have FIFA or GTA on it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Got to the fourth Metroid type in Samus Returns and genuinely worried I was gonna run out of missiles for a bit lol. Not to mention health.... :sweatdrop:

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

I could see myself getting the ps1 classic if it had save states, a fast forward, or other features built into the system like the snes classic.

This sounds like a psone classics box with no engancements. I have one of those, it's called a vita.

Also shocked they are charging $100 with preorders up and only 5 in 15 games known.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
It's shocking to me what people are willing to pay money for. I feel like if you went to anyone and said "would you pay $100 for 15 PS1 games" they'd go "gently caress no". But if you wrap it in another junky piece of hardware to clutter up their shelves, suddenly they fly off the shelves.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

If one of those games is Suikoden 2 then you’d be stupid not to do it!!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

It's twenty I think.

Might get one, I like the dinky little thing even if it does turn out to be rubbish.

Should have that interactive t rex on it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

If one of those games is Suikoden 2 then you’d be stupid not to do it!!

:emptyquote:

edit: even better, put the original on it too so you can import the save file from the first into the second

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

PantsBandit posted:

It's shocking to me what people are willing to pay money for. I feel like if you went to anyone and said "would you pay $100 for 15 PS1 games" they'd go "gently caress no". But if you wrap it in another junky piece of hardware to clutter up their shelves, suddenly they fly off the shelves.

"Hey well, at least I'm getting a cheap plastic toy to go with this $15 horse DLC."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I still have PS1 games on my shelf and would actually consider a thing that could play those discs...

Except I still also have a launch PS2 that, at last check, still works

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

This is generally true about all of the mini consoles. Their biggest market appears to be parents making bad holiday purchases that their children will probably be disappointed by.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I feel like the sprite based stuff from the SNES has aged far more gracefully than the 3D stuff from the Playstation/N64 era.

Of course if it has Xenogears, SOTN, and/or Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo I'll probably buy it.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It probably won't have SotN, since there was a ratings board leak for a SotN & Rondo collection for PS4 and I imagine they'd rather sell that.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I still have PS1 games on my shelf and would actually consider a thing that could play those discs...

Except I still also have a launch PS2 that, at last check, still works

Pretty much why I’m like oh neat but I have a slim ps2 that can do that. Now if it was a mini ps2 that would be more lucrative as you can’t really play those unless well you have a ps2 or the original ps3 which is reeeeallly hard to find not expensive

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Phantasium posted:

It probably won't have SotN, since there was a ratings board leak for a SotN & Rondo collection for PS4 and I imagine they'd rather sell that.

They need to put SotN and every 2d castlevania after on Steam already drat.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also maybe it'll have Ace Combat 2, they just showed the preorder bonuses for the newest game and on PSN it's "you get AC5, oh yeah we're bringing it to the PS4" and on Xbone it's "you get AC6, oh yeah we're making it BC."

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
All your favorite PS1 games will be available:

Mary-Kate & Ashley: Magical Mystery Mall
Play With the Teletubbies
Austin Powers Pinball
Amazing Virtual Sea Monkeys
Bubsy 3D
Final Fantasy 8
That one Beast Wars game where if you transformed you like died or whatever what the gently caress even was that

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

No Blasto or Rascal? :sad:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I feel like the sprite based stuff from the SNES has aged far more gracefully than the 3D stuff from the Playstation/N64 era.

Of course if it has Xenogears, SOTN, and/or Super Puzzle Fighter 2 Turbo I'll probably buy it.

It certainly has but some switch flipped in my brain a few years ago and now vertex jitter blocky rear end PS1 polygons are my jam

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinitum posted:

Konami's Big 3 are, and always will be, the kings of the Beat Em Up arcade
- TMNT
- Simpsons
- X-men

tmnt and simpsons are really flashy games and tmnt has really badass music but i don't think either of them are actually that fun to play compared to lots of other arcade beat em ups. it's almost literally impossible to avoid having your health slowly whittled down in simpsons arcade no matter what you do and a lot of the boss and enemy design in tmnt is just kind of annoying without any way to circumvent that

i didn't play x-men

i like capcom arcade beat em ups a lot more cause while they aren't as flashy their later arcade beat em ups have a lot more depth than what people really remember the scene for, they did a lot with those games after like alien vs predator and it makes a big difference for how fun they are to play now

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 19, 2018

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The NES port is better than the original arcade TMNT.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway the underdog best arcade beat em up is actually ninja baseball bat man

Phantasium posted:

The NES port is better than the original arcade TMNT.

i played the snes version of tmnt and i still didn't really like it lol

al-azad
May 28, 2009

X-Men is no better design wise. It's fairer than The Simpsons, you can actually dodge and predict enemy attacks. But X-Men's real claim to fame is the graphics and Konami really went all out with the visual design of their games.

It's not really fair to compare because Konami stopped making arcade brawlers by '93 but Gaiapolis and Bucky O'Hare are their best. Bucky O'Hare blends shooter games so lots of bullet dodging which makes it more reflex intensive and less hitboxy bullshit you saw in early 90s fighters. And Gaiapolis was pretty complex and had guarding and companions but it was a top down game and arguably too much for arcades? It really would've opened up on consoles, I think people would be talking about that game in the same niche circles as Pocky and Rocky or the 16-bit Mystical Ninjas.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

drat Dirty Ape posted:

it depends, there's a lot of 3d games on the ps1 that didn't really find any sort of aesthetic that worked but there are a handful that actually look really cool. there's obvious ones like megaman legends, ace combat 2&3, gran turismo and omega boost, but there are also a bunch of games that look cool mostly for the specific ways they lean into the weird ps1 3d, like lattice 200ec7, internal section, jumping flash, and the timeless classic known as planet dob

the ps1 dr. slump game is also pretty legit

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The Konami Arcade beat em ups were bullshit but they were still fun as hell. Turtles in Time arcade was the worst because it flat out just instakills you if you went to long without losing a life.

Not mentioned yet but the Bucky O Hare arcade game was also a blast

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Streets of Rage Remake is still the GOAT imho.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
violent storm is my favorite konami beat em up, mostly because of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6JuJnfL6QY

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Switch version of the capcom beat em up bundle is unplayably laggy online.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Me and my parents found the Simpsons arcade game at a pier on the Isle of Wight and we kept on plugging in the pounds until we beat it. It cost about 20-25 quid in the end but it was worth it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
That’s a good family.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Same but Jurassic Park 2 and less British

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Verranicus posted:

Switch version of the capcom beat em up bundle is unplayably laggy online.

boo, that's disappointing

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The only game my parents ever played with me was Mario Party.

I'd probably refuse to ever touch a console again if that was the first game I tried too though.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

my mom 100%'d DKC3 and bought a guide to find all the collectibles in Spyro 1

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

al-azad posted:

It certainly has but some switch flipped in my brain a few years ago and now vertex jitter blocky rear end PS1 polygons are my jam

I've always loved PS1 game graphics. We didn't have a SNES or whatever growing up because they cost too much, but when I was older I saved up for months and got a PS1 from a pawn shop and it was the coolest thing ever

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

When I got my PlayStation I had to keep correcting my dad, “Daaaad, it’s not a Nintendo!”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
The only good thing about being an adult is calling toys/games/characters the wrong name on purpose because you know it will make the kid mad.

• Locked thread