Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

the onion wizard posted:

Does Disney offer financing to visit the parks?

Of course Disney Theme Parks has a cobranded Chase credit card!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://disneyrewards.com/vacation-perks/

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9gzjfo/combined_277k_in_student_loan_debt_with_wife_30k/ posted:

Good Afternoon PF Redditors,

I'm looking for some guidance. Whether it is links to older posts related to this, websites that may help, or... well, anything.

My wife and I are drowning in Student Loan Debt and it's all about to come off forbearances and the like. What can we do to remedy the situation?

I am active duty navy and she is a federal worker. So I know we can utilize the Public Loan Forgiveness Program for my 30k in fedloans.

Whatever's can we do to consolidate, minimize interest, or just plain forgive our private loans in Sallie Mae's name?

I'm sure plenty have asked for this kind of guidance. Please bare with my anxiety and just point me in the right direction if possible.

EDIT: Some more specific details people asked for.

Sallie Mae Loans 32,587.46 at 5% 24,771 at 5%

Fed Loans 29,826.42 at 4.27% (on the Federal Loan Forgiveness Program i.e. 120 payments and forgiven)

Annual Wages for myself - $21.349.51 Wife's annual wages - $15,800.31

I'm an E-3 in the Navy, wife works for Child Development Center.

Car Loan with $11,105.83 / $300/monthly payment Credit Card Debt $3,289all with $30+ on minimum payments to avoid interest accruement.

Hope this helps paint a clearer picture

Combined $277k student loan debt with a combined income of $36k

:psyboom:

He only lists about $88k in student loan debt, so I assume the rest of the student loans belong to his wife. He says his wife originally wanted to be a pediatric oncologist but never explains why she didn't go to/finish med school. He also mentions he didn't qualify to be an officer.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Double points for in park purchases! It's like they're giving YOU money!

My family is finally aging out of Disney parks. We may have one last trip, but I'm trying to convince them to consider a Disney cruise. Horribly expensive - but so much easier to spend the whole duration drunk.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
Wow that's cool bro, tell us more

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

For some reason this is the most tragically comical thing I've seen in this thread in a while. Of course they loving do.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Ebola Roulette posted:

Combined $277k student loan debt with a combined income of $36k

:psyboom:

He only lists about $88k in student loan debt, so I assume the rest of the student loans belong to his wife. He says his wife originally wanted to be a pediatric oncologist but never explains why she didn't go to/finish med school. He also mentions he didn't qualify to be an officer.

I wonder if banks are ever going to see consequences for loaning insane sums of money to people who will be indebted for the rest of their lives

I know the answer but I can still hope

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Disney world annual passes cost about $500 per person. They used to not sell quite as many when you had to buy them in full all at once. But, like universal, they went to a monthly payment plan for annual passes and annual pass sales skyrocketed.

For each AP purchase, they also give you a sticker for your car, so now you can stick all of them on your 10 year old Kia Rio with 100k miles you purchased at 27% interest and let everyone know you’re BWM.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.
Who posted this to /r/starterpacks?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

DEMAG posted:

A graphic designer who has only ever dated shut-in turbonerds

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Nothing about that image says "graphic designer" but yes it's weirdly specific

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

KingSlime posted:

Nothing about that image says "graphic designer" but yes it's weirdly specific

none of those things has a following of fewer than a few million, w/ possible exception of comiccon

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

DEMAG posted:

"I don't see how I can reduce my food budget. I'm just not very good at cooking food lol" says the redditor with $7,000 of credit card debt.

Edit: gently caress, there was a post on r/pf I wanted to post here but they deleted it between when I left for and when I arrived at work. It was something like, "How much savings and credit card debt is it acceptable to have in your mid-20s?" and the whole thread was just the OP arguing with people telling her, "You shouldn't have ANY credit card debt" "No, you don't understand. I live in NEW YORK CITY."

Hoodwinker fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Sep 19, 2018

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like how people get into food related debt because they can't make something that tastes as good. It's like, yeah, that takes years of practice to do, and even then it's not like you can typically do that with really healthy stuff because most blow your mind food is really high in calories.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Ahhh that's that good poo poo!

Shoot it right in my loving veinssss

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

the onion wizard posted:

Does Disney offer financing to visit the parks?

if they don't, I'd be surprised if they aren't already in talks with synchrony or whatever.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Poor people definitely go to Disneyland though. Is there Coupon Day a la jurassic park? Or do they get suckered into a Mickey Loan™

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Without straying too far into the scary realm of self-posting, it is entirely possible to fit a single day trip in a Disney park into an otherwise normal vacation.

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Enos Cabell posted:

Without straying too far into the scary realm of self-posting, it is entirely possible to fit a single day trip in a Disney park into an otherwise normal vacation.

Shoulder season traveling is GWM.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Enos Cabell posted:

Yeah it seems like if you avoid sit down restaurants and gift shops* you're going to get out of there for ticket price + a beverage or two

(*note that this is literally impossible with children)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Poor people definitely go to Disneyland though. Is there Coupon Day a la jurassic park? Or do they get suckered into a Mickey Loan™

Disney is a bit like Vegas in that it can mostly conform to your budget, but with no upper bound. That latter piece is why it can end up ballooning on people who end up spending like 15 grand for 5 days for a family of 4.

You can do it pretty cheapo by staying off-site, doing a couple days in Disney and a couple days doing some of the other Orlando family stuff. It's still not going to be a shoestring budget but it can fall in line with most destination vacations. Most people decide "If I'm doing Disney I want to do all the stuff" which gets pricey.

Disney talk is boring. Here's one. It's long but it hits a lot of BWM tropes, in a pretty sad kinda way. I'll try to bold highlights, but it's basically all a highlight.
I'm over $40,000 dollars in debt and I don't know how to combat it. I need some help.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9fbh7g/im_over_40000_dollars_in_debt_and_i_dont_know_how/

quote:

I'm 32 and according to my math, I'm about $42,496 in debt.

Now this is from a whole slew of things, that I’ve broken down into 6 categories.

Active debt (thing’s that I’m behind on that I still have active monthly payments for beyond the debt. i.e. My car payment & cell phone bill) - $719
Driving (Tickets, surcharges, etc.) - $4,000
Financial (Old overdrawn bank accounts and credit card debt) - $1,817
Personal debt (friends and family that I have borrowed money from over the years) - $20,600
Miscellaneous (charges currently on my credit report. i.e. Old Cell phone bill, bad pay day loan, old ER visits) - $2,000
Legal problems (Long story shortish, my mom was dying of cancer and had me cash her workman’s comp checks for her. She told me I was on the will/checking account and I that I had power of attorney. I found out that I wasn’t on the account and that I did not have PoA (never was able to find her will, so I’m unsure if she ever had one), but she took a turn for the worse and died before I could get thinks fixed. I was to guilt stricken to focus on details and after she died the checks continued to come. I assumed they were going to her estate and continued to cash them (stupid I know), until they stopped coming. I was arrested about 4 months later for grand theft and scheme to defraud. I was placed on withheld adjudication probation for 5 years (which ended in May of this year) and was asked to pay $300 a month. I paid what I could, but after the 5 years I only managed to pay about $6,000 off and still owe $13,000 which the judge gave me until the end of May 2019 to pay. All of this happened in Florida and with me living in Texas at the time, I also had to pay the state of Texas each month a sperate charge for supervising my probation. That bill got behind about $360 by the end of the sentence. Not sure if I still owe that, as I’ve heard nothing since. I’m going to assume that I do.) - $13,360
I started getting my credit up in 2017 (as I had written bad checks and defaulted on loans when I was younger) and got a secured credit card. That was going well (was at about 550) until I decided to move away from Florida and back home to Texas for a new job.

My credit took a hit and is currently sitting at about 470 according to Credit Karma, though my bank’s app shows it at 423.

Lat year when I moved back to Texas I used some of my savings and also borrowed money from a friend to buy a car (I looked for a cheap car but could not find a working one at the time in my price range) and now I’m leasing a Jeep which requires me to pay $213 every two weeks for about 5 years. I know It’s expensive, but It was working out fine when I first got the car. Once I got out of steady work is when problems arose. The car was actually repossessed a few weeks ago, but thanks to a friend of mine helping me, I was able to get it back. Now, I want to fight for it even more so that my friend didn’t help me for nothing.

When I moved back to Texas I began to get my license back, but after I started all the payment plans and went through the DMV to get my paper license in hand, as I waited for the official one in the mail, I received a letter saying that my license was being stopped because of an older ticket (from 2010) that came up from another city and now I have to pay that in full to get rid of it. So, one of the tickets went to a warrant because I couldn't afford the payment plan now.

Yes, I have been driving with out a valid DL and with an active warrant out for me. I’ve only been doing out of necessity of finding work.

I'm also sleeping on my father’s floor as I have nowhere else to stay. I hate it here and need to find a new place as soon as I can. I don’t need to be a burden on his well being anymore.

The job I had when I moved back to Texas ended after about 6 months. I was laid off as the company started to go under. I found another job 4 months later and stayed there until the end of June when I quit. They treated me horribly and continued to cut my hours back to only a few a week, so I left. I don’t regret leaving that job. I’ve been doing freelance work ever since (I’m a filmmaker) and donate Plasma twice a week. I’m currently able to get about $80 each week. I’m actively searching for a new steady job, but I’m having a difficult time finding something that will pay me well enough to start to fix my problems.

I’ve done the math and in order for me to make enough to live on my own, pay the current bills that I have, and set aside $500 a month to pay towards my debt (which at that rate would take a little over 7 years to pay off) I would need to make $22.12/hr for a 40/hr work week for the full 52 weeks of each year.

That currently seems insane to me.

Also, for the record, average room rental in my area is about $750/month. So, factor that into my above equation means I would still need to make about $18.50 an hour. Better for sure, but still doesn’t seem probable.

I don't know what to do, or how to fix this. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I just want to get out of this stupid hole from my past, so that I can get working on my future.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Lockback posted:

I'm over $40,000 dollars in debt and I don't know how to combat it. I need some help.
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/9fbh7g/im_over_40000_dollars_in_debt_and_i_dont_know_how/

"stop doing crimes"
"no"

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

You're openly stating that you prefer reading misogynistic and bigoted hate-speech to any story you consider boring.

Not the kind of thing I'd want to admit!

GGGC making an assumption and stating it as fact? Noooo......

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

canyoneer posted:

"stop doing crimes"
"no"

Favorite part:

"I’ve done the math and in order for me to make enough to live on my own, pay the current bills that I have, and set aside $500 a month to pay towards my debt (which at that rate would take a little over 7 years to pay off) I would need to make $22.12/hr for a 40/hr work week for the full 52 weeks of each year.

That currently seems insane to me."

Get a job paying $46,000 a year? Insane!!!

Dustoph posted:

GGGC making an assumption and stating it as fact? Noooo......

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Because you made a bunch of retarded assumptions about my one post you tool.

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

I thought the $4000 in speeding tickets was gonna be the good part but hoo boy

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

He's not wrong.

$46,000 is right around the median household income for Florida, and a bit below the median household income for Texas. For one person, with no particular skills, and some outstanding legal issues, that's going to be pretty loving tough.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

hailthefish posted:

He's not wrong.

$46,000 is right around the median household income for Florida, and a bit below the median household income for Texas. For one person, with no particular skills, and some outstanding legal issues, that's going to be pretty loving tough.

I read this the first pass as like :discourse: outstanding.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ebola Roulette posted:

He says his wife originally wanted to be a pediatric oncologist but never explains why she didn't go to/finish med school.

I can think of several tiny, dead reasons she may have seen.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Volmarias posted:

My mom worked as a nurse on a children's cancer ward when I was a kid and brought me along to their summer camp at the beach since she was working it. I was the only kid there that had any hair, and I remember being asked to carry a literal garbage bag full of pill bottles up to the nurse's station from the bus so they could organize them to be dispensed over the week.

If you make friends with a bunch of cancer patients, you should be prepared for some them to maybe not make it. Unfortunately nobody told 10 year old me that.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

therobit posted:

My mom worked as a nurse on a children's cancer ward when I was a kid and brought me along to their summer camp at the beach since she was working it. I was the only kid there that had any hair, and I remember being asked to carry a literal garbage bag full of pill bottles up to the nurse's station from the bus so they could organize them to be dispensed over the week.

If you make friends with a bunch of cancer patients, you should be prepared for some them to maybe not make it. Unfortunately nobody told 10 year old me that.

:smith:

Oncology definitely attracts a lot of people with a high "I want to help people" drive, but often they are not well suited for the other job duty of Watch People Slowly Die

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I wonder whether oncology or social work has a higher burnout rate. My mother got a master’s in social work and burned out after a year or two. Went into Habitat for Humanity instead because she felt like she could actually make a difference that way.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lockback posted:

Disney is a bit like Vegas in that it can mostly conform to your budget, but with no upper bound. That latter piece is why it can end up ballooning on people who end up spending like 15 grand for 5 days for a family of 4.

You can do it pretty cheapo by staying off-site, doing a couple days in Disney and a couple days doing some of the other Orlando family stuff. It's still not going to be a shoestring budget but it can fall in line with most destination vacations. Most people decide "If I'm doing Disney I want to do all the stuff" which gets pricey.

Disney talk is boring. Here's one. It's long but it hits a lot of BWM tropes, in a pretty sad kinda way. I'll try to bold highlights, but it's basically all a highlight.

Goddamn now that is a trainwreck.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

More than anything lol at sticking with the "I was assuming my dead mom's workman's comp checks were meant for her estate so I kept cashing them" story

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Sometimes I'm offended at the ads facebook pushes to me

BWM: paying for an education in pet reiki, or paying for reiki for your pet.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

quote:

my mom was dying of cancer and had me cash her workman’s comp checks for her. She told me I was on the will/checking account and I that I had power of attorney. I found out that I wasn’t on the account and that I did not have PoA (never was able to find her will, so I’m unsure if she ever had one), but she took a turn for the worse and died before I could get thinks fixed. I was to guilt stricken to focus on details and after she died the checks continued to come. I assumed they were going to her estate and continued to cash them (stupid I know), until they stopped coming. I was arrested about 4 months later for grand theft and scheme to defraud

Ah the always believable accidentally stole from my dead mother’s “estate” story

E:f;b

howdoesishotweb fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 19, 2018

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I wonder whether oncology or social work has a higher burnout rate. My mother got a master’s in social work and burned out after a year or two. Went into Habitat for Humanity instead because she felt like she could actually make a difference that way.

It used to be palliative medicine physicians had some of the highest job satisfaction rates, while oncologists had some of the lowest. I know a lot of people who moved from the latter to the former!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It used to be palliative medicine physicians had some of the highest job satisfaction rates, while oncologists had some of the lowest. I know a lot of people who moved from the latter to the former!

My mom had a friend who was a pediatric ER nurse and even at 10 years old I was super glad someone like her did that because no way in hell could I. She did get to help deliver quints once, though.

Jan 11, 2004

Volmarias posted:

And also practical reasons such as medical school is hard to get into and even after self-selection for the most qualified applicants less than 50% of people who apply are admitted, and it is a decade-long commitment that a lot of people are not willing to make with their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 11, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

My mom had a friend who was a pediatric ER nurse and even at 10 years old I was super glad someone like her did that because no way in hell could I. She did get to help deliver quints once, though.

Pediatric ER isn't that bad in my experience. 99% coughs ear infections bumps and bruises, with the chronically ill medically complicated patients usually being admitted directly to their appropriate service such as oncology or cardiology and the grevious heart-wrenching stuff like car accidents usually evaluated by surgeons. Guess your experience can vary a lot by location and even a small dose of child-related sadness can be a lot to cope with but a lot of nurses I knew liked peds ED.