Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

I liked 'works naturally with your body' as though proper medications somehow actively work against your body to make it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

TheMostFrench posted:

I liked 'works naturally with your body' as though proper medications somehow actively work against your body to make it well.

thats kind of the whole gimmick behind homeopathic medicines, what's more on face value homeopathy is plausible.

It's supposed to work on the same principle that Vaccines do, wherein you introduce inert examples of a pathogen to your immune system so that it can build up its repertoire of antibodies so the first time you're actually exposed to the disease your body shows up to the fight with the best weapon where an unvaccinated immune system would be defenseless and would have to start building from 0 right at exposure

the analogy breaks down however because of what Homeopathic Medicines are intended to treat. If you take diluted lead for lead poisoning, well, you're just adding to the overall heavy metal exposure.

We know that the human body doesn't really have a good way of dealing with heavy metals and other toxins regardless of how healthy the immune system is, but the Hypothesis behind homeopathic medicines doesn't really respond to peer review, and i think must be regarded as something perhaps anti-science rather than just unscientific

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

TheMostFrench posted:

Umm yes? That describes lots of medications

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

side effects include: irritable bowel syndrome, munchausen by proxy, tinipenioacidosis, really big butt syndrome, down syndrome by proxy, irritability, superhuman sarcasm, and blood clots. consult your doctor to decide if cramitin™© is right for you

cramitin™© is trademark and copyright 2018 DBA Former DILF

Former DILF has issued a correction as of 07:30 on Sep 19, 2018

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Xand_Man posted:

i take hormones and they basically shut down my naturally produced hormones in favor of hormones that make me feel better

so ye i consider that kinda actively working against my body to make it well.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

Antihistamines, anti-inflammatories, immunosupressants, etc.

vvv bodies are dumb

Xand_Man has issued a correction as of 07:42 on Sep 19, 2018

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
i hate this weird idea people have that the body "knows what to do" and that the best course is to let it cure itself

the human body is a jury rigged piece of poo poo that regularly destroys itself for no apparent reason and the entire point of medicine is to intervene and keep our stupid bodies from killing themselves

Captain Billy Pissboy has issued a correction as of 07:43 on Sep 19, 2018

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

we can see from the HeLa culture that cancer sometimes creates viable life so in fact I believe under the Pro-Life stance some cancers would be considered living persons and actions taken against them ought to be charged as murder

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

god bless my quadrillion cancer babies that now float on the wind to take root whereever they may

oh by the way they basically have a full human genome and reproduce like bacteria :shrug:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Xand_Man posted:

Let me rephrase that. To me, 'works naturally with your body' makes it sound like regular medications are intended to do you harm.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hello is this the tankies.txt thread?

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

spankmeister posted:

Hello is this the tankies.txt thread?

like every thread in cspam, yes sometimes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Former DILF posted:

we can see from the HeLa culture that cancer sometimes creates viable life so in fact I believe under the Pro-Life stance some cancers would be considered living persons and actions taken against them ought to be charged as murder

This makes way too much sense.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Y'all opposed to homeopathy should listen to Dr. Werner. :downs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0c5yClip4o

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

lol at the idea that people go into research science careers for money. im going to spend my entire adult life studying how the body works on a chemical level because i want to be rich

heres a map of my get rich quick scheme

My fiancees oldest sister works for the state in a lab running tests on something. As soon as she has done that long enough for her student loans to go away she's planning to quit because "the private sector is where the money is"

Other things she hates about her job:
Yearly cost of living raise
Guaranteed raises that she can't bargain for
The fact that since she works for the state anyone can see how much her position makes
And again let me say she hates guaranteed yearly raises because she can't bargain for more money

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

SplitSoul posted:

:psyduck:

just :psyduck:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

SplitSoul posted:

This gave me a headache. Going to eat some sugar from the office kitchen. I'm sure it was around people with headache a lot.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Former DILF posted:

side effects include: irritable bowel syndrome, munchausen by proxy, tinipenioacidosis, really big butt syndrome, down syndrome by proxy, irritability, superhuman sarcasm, and blood clots. consult your doctor to decide if cramitin™© is right for you

cramitin™© is trademark and copyright 2018 DBA Former DILF

I could use a big ole dose of really big butt syndrome. I am lacking in that area.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

Get this lady on Rogan.

:stonklol:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

america.jpg

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

SplitSoul posted:

This is wonderful top tier crazy babel, delivered with scientific conviction. I could listen to Dr. Werner all day.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Think they would use their likeness if someone went in the store with a mask on or a hat/shirt with goatse on it? :thunk:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

That's honestly a drat fine composition and I'd love to have an oil painting of it if I had the money to throw around for commissions

Korremar
Mar 1, 2010

You are so big!
So absolutely HUGE!

lol at the idea that people go into research science careers for money. im going to spend my entire adult life studying how the body works on a chemical level because i want to be rich

heres a map of my get rich quick scheme

the sphere grid got really complicated in the FFX remake

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Mushika posted:

I could use a big ole dose of really big butt syndrome. I am lacking in that area.
excuse me it's called steatopygia please show some respect

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Len posted:

My fiancees oldest sister works for the state in a lab running tests on something. As soon as she has done that long enough for her student loans to go away she's planning to quit because "the private sector is where the money is"

The fact that since she works for the state anyone can see how much her position makes
And again let me say she hates guaranteed yearly raises because she can't bargain for more money
COL yearly raises have nothing to do with not being able to bargain for more money

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

comedyblissoption posted:

COL yearly raises have nothing to do with not being able to bargain for more money

Not directly but a lot of government jobs are just

TECHNICAL THING-DOER III - Pay rate $X

There is no negotiating

(not that I'm defending the idiot complainer)

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I worked at a drug store for many years and people would get pretty upset when I tried to explain to them homeopathic remedies were a scam. the store was adjacent to a really nice upper-middle class neighborhood confined to one long street, a regular middle-class enclave with a bunch of local businesses, and a major public housing project (across a major street and a block down from the fancy street) that was pretty impoverished, undermaintained and overpoliced. there was a class correlation vis-a-vis buying that kind of poo poo, but it was almost entirely confined to wealthier customers, white women with expendable income were the principal demographic buying that stuff. most of the poorer people who used food stamps and stuff weren't dumb enough to waste money on poo poo that never worked

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Len posted:

Having worked in research in the public as well as private sector, I would take public 9 times out of 10 even with the lower pay.

It is kind of luck of the draw. There are good and bad labs in both scenarios. Bad public sector labs and private sector labs are the same. poo poo pay, stressful, dysfunctional management, no work life balance, constant threat of firing. A good private sector lab is that but with better pay. A good public sector lab has the same bad pay, but is otherwise very laid back and pleasant... And usually you still get good benefits.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

[in New York Italian stereotype voice] Gamer goo!

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Len posted:

a friend and i worked for a drywall company on a major job site. every other trade was unionized and made far more money with benefits. i told my friend I was considering joining the ibew but he was super opposed. according to him "unions make everyone get paid the same. if i work really hard then how will i get a raise?"

i burst out laughing and he got mad.

some people are really deluded about how capitalism works

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

keyboard_goo.png

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

DACK FAYDEN posted:

excuse me it's called steatopygia please show some respect

I respect big butts and I cannot lie.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

they missed a pretty obvious "surge pricing" thing there i feel

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

That's honestly a drat fine composition and I'd love to have an oil painting of it if I had the money to throw around for commissions

the best part is the mcdonalds fries cover on her phone. the cherry on top of the lovely capitalism sundae

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

FactsAreUseless posted:

[in New York Italian stereotype voice] Gamer goo!

lol EYYY IM GAMIN ERE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

a friend and i worked for a drywall company on a major job site. every other trade was unionized and made far more money with benefits. i told my friend I was considering joining the ibew but he was super opposed. according to him "unions make everyone get paid the same. if i work really hard then how will i get a raise?"

i burst out laughing and he got mad.

some people are really deluded about how capitalism works

She tried to argue her boyfriends job at Chase was great because of that and he just said "yeah I could argue for more but they would never give it" because he understands capitalism