Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
You know, I had this thought while having lunch. Imagine if they did a new Ultimate Universe but they used it as a chance to reimagine their characters without them being strapped to certain preconceived notions like Captain America having to be a CIS straight white man. Like, give it a chance to actually explore new ideas using reimagined classic characters while still having the originals in their own Universe running alongside them. Because the original Ultimate Universe really didn't do that until Miles Morales and even then they only did it once.

Like, imagine that the announcement for "All New, All Different" Marvel, but that being an announcement for of a new line of comics in a new universe. Not only would this have meant that the classic characters would still be around, but it also means that you don't do those new characters on a timer. To explain the latter, you know that eventually Tony's coming back, you know that eventually Thor is coming back, Etc. But if it's it's own universe, that doesn't have to be the case.

They kind of did this in Spider-Gwen by having Captain America being a black woman. But, those characters are simply not the focus of the book so you don't really get to explore it too much. If it was its own Universe, they can really do a lot with these premises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmmm.

I wish I'd paid attention when Waid made Starboy black.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Covok posted:

You know, I had this thought while having lunch. Imagine if they did a new Ultimate Universe but they used it as a chance to reimagine their characters without them being strapped to certain preconceived notions like Captain America having to be a CIS straight white man. Like, give it a chance to actually explore new ideas using reimagined classic characters while still having the originals in their own Universe running alongside them. Because the original Ultimate Universe really didn't do that until Miles Morales and even then they only did it once.

Like, imagine that the announcement for "All New, All Different" Marvel, but that being an announcement for of a new line of comics in a new universe. Not only would this have meant that the classic characters would still be around, but it also means that you don't do those new characters on a timer. To explain the latter, you know that eventually Tony's coming back, you know that eventually Thor is coming back, Etc. But if it's it's own universe, that doesn't have to be the case.

They kind of did this in Spider-Gwen by having Captain America being a black woman. But, those characters are simply not the focus of the book so you don't really get to explore it too much. If it was its own Universe, they can really do a lot with these premises.

This would be cool as hell except i can already see the solicits of these books with the whitest cishet men possible attached

I think the best we're ever gonna get for an alt cap as a "main character", for instance, is saladin's peggy cap and given that its exiles and everybody dies in exiles shes already on the chopping block down the line

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

This would be cool as hell except i can already see the solicits of these books with the whitest cishet men possible attached

I think the best we're ever gonna get for an alt cap as a "main character", for instance, is saladin's peggy cap and given that its exiles and everybody dies in exiles shes already on the chopping block down the line

Danielle Cage has shown up multiple times as Captain America of the future.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah but that's like A Cool Thing That Happens but because of ~sliding timeline ~ will conveniently never be an actual character in a book for longer than five pages

I could be wrong (and hopefully not) but I think Peggy cap and Becky Barnes are gonna be team members of exiles

site fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 16, 2018

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Covok posted:

I would've read spin-offs of the Spider-Gwen universe because even if the title itself sometimes felt a little directionles I thought it was setting up a pretty interesting little world, with honestly more promising hooks than a lot of early Ultimate stuff. I don't even think it would have to be a very big line, you could have Hulk or the Fantastic Four or whatever as supporting characters without necessarily losing out on priceless comics content.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yeah you could just use Spider-Gwen as the springboard for a whole new universe (much like Ultimate Spider-Man did) by having books about her Cap, and immortal demon samurai Wolverine and all the other characters that book has showed or at least implied the existence of. Even if Latour hasn't done the greatest job on Gwen herself, the building blocks are all there.

edit: plus if you named a whole new line you could actually name Spider-Gwen's book Ultimate (or whatever adjective in place of Ultimate) Spider-Woman or something instead of something stupid like loving Ghost Spider.

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Sep 17, 2018

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

site posted:

saladin's peggy cap and given that its exiles and everybody dies in exiles shes already on the chopping block down the line

She did die (saved from nuclear fire at the last second by rogue watchers) once already after all.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Sure, I'm all for something like this.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
It'd be a great testing ground for new/indie talent too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm surprised they haven't done a one shot or limited series starring the Sam Wilson Captain America. That's Samantha Wilson.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Soonmot posted:

It'd be a great testing ground for new/indie talent too.

Yeah, that's actually how they did the original Ultimate Universe I think. Because Bendis and Millar were still unknowns at the time. Getting like some real Indie talent to build this new universe would be great.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yeah as much as ive liked their choices i wish marvel would focus more on picking out some indie talent instead of getting high profile-ish prose authors to come in for the "diverse" books

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Covok posted:

Yeah, that's actually how they did the original Ultimate Universe I think. Because Bendis and Millar were still unknowns at the time. Getting like some real Indie talent to build this new universe would be great.

The Authority was red hot until the Levitz thing caused Millar to split from DC and he'd also had a very well regarded Superman Adventures run, calling him an unknown is really stretching it.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I'd follow a "new second Marvel Universe" book if they did something like (to use Earth 65 as an example but I'd have no problem with them starting one from the ground up; using 65 would probably give them a bigger initial readership though) 5 issues following Wolverine & Shadowcat (or whatever that dynamic was, I don't remember), then 5 issues following Captain America, then 5 issues following whatever passes for the X-Men there, etc etc instead of running a bunch of books at the same time. They could interlink the stories together Pulp Fiction style where everything is related to Matt Murdock/Kingpin but they're not so heavily connected that new readers would feel like they couldn't start the book without buying and reading the first 10 issues or feel like they needed to read Spider-Gwen before starting, cause that type of stuff I feel is less likely to make someone track down a bunch of old issues/trades and more likely to make the average person just not start reading.
Or it'd be a cool thing to push to their double-sized digital-only thing they're doing with Jessica Jones.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/bryanedwardhill/status/1041726799376375808

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

One the one hand I don't think I've ever liked any comic I've read by Hill, on the other hand a revamped Kilmonger with art by Juan Ferreyra is something I'm looking forward to.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Diet Poison posted:

They could interlink the stories together Pulp Fiction style

Kind of puts me in mind of Jack Staff, which is itself an absolute delight.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
tangentially related to tonight’s big MCU news: how much longer can it really be before someone undoes the stupid Remender retcon of Magneto not being Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch’s father? That was canon for over thirty years, and I can’t imagine that there are that many creators or fans who think the High Evolutionary origin is an improvement.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

tangentially related to tonight’s big MCU news: how much longer can it really be before someone undoes the stupid Remender retcon of Magneto not being Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch’s father? That was canon for over thirty years, and I can’t imagine that there are that many creators or fans who think the High Evolutionary origin is an improvement.

It'll happen eventually but that was clearly an editorial mandate that span out of the ongoing Fox and DIsney drama at the time. I doubt that was a major component of Rick's plans. It felt very shoe horned in.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Rhyno posted:

It'll happen eventually but that was clearly an editorial mandate that span out of the ongoing Fox and DIsney drama at the time. I doubt that was a major component of Rick's plans. It felt very shoe horned in.

yeah, you’re probably right that that was editorially mandated, especially since it came not long before the release of Age of Ultron. of course, Marvel denied that, but they would, wouldn’t they?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

yeah, you’re probably right that that was editorially mandated, especially since it came not long before the release of Age of Ultron. of course, Marvel denied that, but they would, wouldn’t they?

They still deny the "kill the F4" stuff despite several creators saying it was true.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

In which series/issues did that retcon occur? Somehow in reading all the X-books and just, absolute tons of other Marvel books, I missed that one and only learned about it from X-Plain The X-Men.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

rantmo posted:

In which series/issues did that retcon occur? Somehow in reading all the X-books and just, absolute tons of other Marvel books, I missed that one and only learned about it from X-Plain The X-Men.

I'm pretty sure it was in Uncanny Avengers.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm pretty sure it was in Uncanny Avengers.

Yeah it was in the first couple issues of the second Uncanny Avengers series.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

That's so strange because I'm sure I've read all of the Uncanny Avengers but I have no recollection of that. Time to reread!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It's where Sabertooth is on the team, and they go to Counter Earth. It was a let down after how much fun the Apocalypse Twins stuff was, but it had some real nice art.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

pubic works project posted:

Yeah it was in the first couple issues of the second Uncanny Avengers series.

More or less. the retcon that Magneto wasn't their father was in one of the latter few issues of Axis. the new origin was in the very short-lived Uncanny Avengers vol. 2

IIRC, the recent Scarlet Witch ongoing did give the twins a new canonical mother instead of Magda, but didn't reveal who their biological father was, so that's a convenient opening for a future writer to undo this dumb thing.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Open Marriage Night posted:

It's where Sabertooth is on the team, and they go to Counter Earth. It was a let down after how much fun the Apocalypse Twins stuff was, but it had some real nice art.

Yeah I loved the art! Story...not so much.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch thing is actually just an undoing of a retcon more than just a retcon. They weren't originally Magneto's kids and their origin has always been tied to High Evolutionary in some way. I kind of like how freeing it was for them personally, and especially Pietro, that Magneto was not their father.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

X-O posted:

The Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch thing is actually just an undoing of a retcon more than just a retcon. They weren't originally Magneto's kids and their origin has always been tied to High Evolutionary in some way. I kind of like how freeing it was for them personally, and especially Pietro, that Magneto was not their father.

well, to each his own, but I don't think I'm going out on a limb to say you're probably in the minority there

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I get Cain is mad that her book is cancelled but she basically signed on to write a sequel to a series that didn't need one and I don't think anyone really wanted.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

^burtle posted:

I get Cain is mad that her book is cancelled but she basically signed on to write a sequel to a series that didn't need one and I don't think anyone really wanted.

Did she send you the scripts?

Come on dude, if you think like that then no books are necessary.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

Did she send you the scripts?

Come on dude, if you think like that then no books are necessary.

You know I'm not talking extremes here, just citing poo poo like Before Watchmen, DKR3, etc. Not every great idea run needs an immediate follow up even though we are dwelling in 2018 capitalism.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
West Coast Avengers is such a good book so far. Everyone go read it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

rantmo posted:

That's so strange because I'm sure I've read all of the Uncanny Avengers but I have no recollection of that. Time to reread!

It was a pretty short run. I think it came out like right before Secret Wars, iirc, so poo poo was wrapping up quick.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Is Sabretooth still trying to be Pepsi to Wolverine's Coca Cola or is he bad again?

(please do not derail with how you like one drink more than the other, nobody fuckin' cares)

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Sabretooth still trying to be Pepsi to Wolverine's Coca Cola or is he bad again?

(please do not derail with how you like one drink more than the other, nobody fuckin' cares)

You obviously used that analogy just to start that derail.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Kelly just remove Gwen from the team so I can enjoy wca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Our man Logan is definitely Pepsi since it is sweeter.