Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Anyone here have experiences with the cloth case for the Pixel 2? Been thinking about getting one and if I recall folks here liked them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Incessant Excess posted:

Anyone here have experiences with the cloth case for the Pixel 2? Been thinking about getting one and if I recall folks here liked them?

Its a really nice case, I bought one with my $50 referral credit. My only complaint is that I bought a light colored one and it started looking a little dingy within like a week. Haven't tried washing it yet.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

asecondduck posted:

Wasn't that because the phones in question were part of the Android One program and part of participating in Android One means OEMs can't add modifications to the OS?

Modifications can be added for specific hardware features. The LG G7 One has code modifications for the DAC, for example.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Looks like the Pixel 2 camera is still topping this year's crop of new iPhone cameras overall.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/9/19/17878018/iphone-xs-x-pixel-2-galaxy-s9-camera-comparison

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
At last, higher fidelity in my dickpics and poorly lit images of bachelor chow.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Incessant Excess posted:

I've got the "cement" colored one. Only downside is it does absorb hand oils and such over time. Every couple months I've just taken five minutes and used a damp cloth with laundry detergent to wipe it down, looks good as new afterward.

Or you could probably just get the dark black fabric case and then not have to worry about that at all.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
I assume it's slightly raised, meaning you can lay it display side down and it's fine?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Incessant Excess posted:

I assume it's slightly raised, meaning you can lay it display side down and it's fine?

Isn't every case that way? Doesn't the case have to higher than the screen in order to snap onto the phone?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

LastInLine posted:

Google forced Nokia to remove that feature in their phones so no, that's not going to happen.

Nokia came back on reddit and said that wasn't why they removed the feature, and that they'll be adding it back.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Hell is continuing to freeze over.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/19/17880196/apple-music-android-auto-feature-now-available

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Since the fit app got updated to these heart point things, the steps counter widget seems to have disappeared. Are there any good widget apps that display the fit steps?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I think the bigger indicator of hell's current weather pattern is that in iOS 12 you can use Google Maps in CarPlay.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Nokia came back on reddit and said that wasn't why they removed the feature, and that they'll be adding it back.

Google can't even get their own products to follow their guidelines, I doubt they have much influence over another OEM's.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Foldable phones: What say you?

I love the idea of being able to turn my phone (read under 5.5 inches) to a phablet, but what's the hinge going to be like? Still pocketable?

Does everyone wear baggy pants all the time?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Foldable phones: What say you?

I love the idea of being able to turn my phone (read under 5.5 inches) to a phablet, but what's the hinge going to be like? Still pocketable?

Does everyone wear baggy pants all the time?

The plastic screen will be softer than a DS'. It'll need to fold just to keep it from spontaneously attracting scratches from airborne dust.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

It's really wild to me that I'm being forced to switch to this piece of poo poo YouTube music thing at the end of the year from Google Music, which is already a huge piece of poo poo and this company literally releases Apple Music before they release their own first party app?

Another A+ google.

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

nerdrum posted:

It's really wild to me that I'm being forced to switch to this piece of poo poo YouTube music thing at the end of the year from Google Music, which is already a huge piece of poo poo and this company literally releases Apple Music before they release their own first party app?

Another A+ google.

So Google Music is going away entirely? I thought they were sort of separate things, but I haven't been following all these stupid changes very closely.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

nerdrum posted:

Another A+ google.

As far as I'm aware there's no sunset date. Remember when they made that announcement that yeah, YouTube Music sucks and yeah, we know it, and so we'll be updating it often to make it better so you can see the progress we're making? I got an update just yesterday which is what reminded me of that announcement and of course the changelog is the same as it was when they reintroduced the app a few months ago.

pairofdimes posted:

So Google Music is going away entirely? I thought they were sort of separate things, but I haven't been following all these stupid changes very closely.

They say it's definitely going away sometime.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

nerdrum posted:

Another A+ google.

I could be wrong but I don't think Google controls who makes Android Auto compatible apps, all the dev needs to do is to make an app compatible with it. Google severely limits the APIs though so all AA apps can really do is play music and send messages for Assistant to read.

And yeah, I'm super psyched about this. I haven't tested the release version but it looks like you can actually access your library while driving, which Google Play Music doesn't do.

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 20, 2018

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

under 5.5 inches

Do these phones exist anymore? Foldable phones seem like the worst gimmick, to answer your question.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

LastInLine posted:

They say it's definitely going away sometime.

And even if they said otherwise, there'd be literally no reason to believe it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Looks like the Pixel 2 camera is still topping this year's crop of new iPhone cameras overall.

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/9/19/17878018/iphone-xs-x-pixel-2-galaxy-s9-camera-comparison

To be fair, it's noticeable but still kind of minor:

https://twitter.com/Happicamp/status/1042020473800978432

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

To also be fair, if Google was in a similar situation, they would be raked over the coals over it. People are already complaining about not enough camera innovation in the phone and it isn't even out yet.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

elmer chud posted:

Do these phones exist anymore? Foldable phones seem like the worst gimmick, to answer your question.

I really like the idea of being able to have a small phone and a big phone at once. Small when it's in your pocket or you're just making a call, but then when you sit down on the hour long train ride home you can 'convert' it into a bigger phone / small tablet for watching media, e-book reading etc without having to carry 2 devices.

But the hinge seems like it'd be a real weak point, and also a bulky part of the phone.

The huge phone trend is a real bug in my rear end. Can't take that poo poo running, they're fragile, heavy, won't fit into pockets that aren't very deep, are begging to be stolen if you keep it in your back pocket, are not one-handable, etc.

I think we're getting at least one foldable phone next year.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FAUXTON posted:

To be fair, it's noticeable but still kind of minor:

https://twitter.com/Happicamp/status/1042020473800978432

Did he post those backwards?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

hobbesmaster posted:

No?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Boy the new chrome looks like poo poo = (

hobbesmaster posted:

The iPhone photo is pretty washed out

mango sentinel fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 20, 2018

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Boy the new chrome looks like poo poo = (

It looks the same to me? Are you on the beta or canary app?

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Sir Lemming posted:

And even if they said otherwise, there'd be literally no reason to believe it.

I love Google music (even if it really sucks). I just love being able to upload my local files and stream them to my device.

If I had to guess it'll just wind up in Limbo like so many other google apps (like Keep).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I wish a foldable phone would come out so we can stop getting articles about a pending foldable phone that's going to come out for realises this time and isn't a clickbait article like it has been for the past 5 years

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It looks the same to me? Are you on the beta or canary app?

Mine updated (or a switch got flipped) this morning.

Chrome on my work laptop is also new, but that may be because I have fully closed Chrome for the first time in a few weeks last night.

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bull3964 posted:

I wish a foldable phone would come out so we can stop getting articles about a pending foldable phone that's going to come out for realises this time and isn't a clickbait article like it has been for the past 5 years

They've already come out, just not from an Approved Company™

https://mobile.twitter.com/zteusa/status/920306098179100673

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

elmer chud posted:

They've already come out, just not from an Approved Company™

https://mobile.twitter.com/zteusa/status/920306098179100673

You know a Smartphone Brand has made it when they come out with these CAD/Photoshop 'folding phone' concept pictures. At this point it's like a right of passage. Obviously this will never happen and if it did it would flop.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

The iPhone photo is pretty washed out

Theres more information in it though. It looks washed out in comparison because the contrast isn't cranked.

I take it thats not a raw-raw comparison then?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

64bit_Dophins posted:

You know a Smartphone Brand has made it when they come out with these CAD/Photoshop 'folding phone' concept pictures. At this point it's like a right of passage. Obviously this will never happen and if it did it would flop.

Uh dude? It already came out. Try googling occasionally.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

hobbesmaster posted:

Theres more information in it though. It looks washed out in comparison because the contrast isn't cranked.

its stopped down more so more of the frame is more in focus

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://twitter.com/AndroidPolice/status/1042800774969876480

quote:

24MP+8MP (wide-angle)+5MP (depth) rear, 24MP front

This is so weird to find on a mid-range phone. Curious what reviews will show.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

I really like the idea of being able to have a small phone and a big phone at once. Small when it's in your pocket or you're just making a call, but then when you sit down on the hour long train ride home you can 'convert' it into a bigger phone / small tablet for watching media, e-book reading etc without having to carry 2 devices.

But the hinge seems like it'd be a real weak point, and also a bulky part of the phone.

The huge phone trend is a real bug in my rear end. Can't take that poo poo running, they're fragile, heavy, won't fit into pockets that aren't very deep, are begging to be stolen if you keep it in your back pocket, are not one-handable, etc.

I think we're getting at least one foldable phone next year.

I dunno, you want the benefits of a big phone but don't want the costs of a big phone? Where do you think all that extra screen space when you unfold is coming from, they can't make it physically smaller volume than an ordinary phone without severely compromising the battery or something. If anything I'd bet the foldable phone is going to be bulkier because it needs additional chassis overhead.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

It's probably "raw-raw" in as much as those are right out of the phones, but both are applying some kind of processing by default. Its more a comparison of the camera software than anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

isndl posted:

I dunno, you want the benefits of a big phone but don't want the costs of a big phone? Where do you think all that extra screen space when you unfold is coming from, they can't make it physically smaller volume than an ordinary phone without severely compromising the battery or something. If anything I'd bet the foldable phone is going to be bulkier because it needs additional chassis overhead.

I'm not sure what you mean by the benefits of a big phone but not the costs.

Presumably a foldable phone will have its battery split along the fold, and have two separate batteries.

I think I read about the Samsung Galaxy F having a secondary display on the rear for use when folded, so that's one way of getting the best of both worlds. Use the small screen for on-the-go type stuff, calling, texting, browsing while walking, unfold for the media consumption.

A foldable phone is almost certainly going to be bulkier for the hinge alone, nevermind chassis overhead, but the x by y footprint being smaller is appealing to me; I'm not so much worried if it's a little thicker.