Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

Samuel Clemens posted:

I've heard this complaint quite a few times, and it always baffles me. Aside from the event being consistent with the film's overall themes, living in extremely harrowing conditions has never stopped people from having children.

Because it usually wouldn't spell certain death, no matter how bad you have it. That baby is a time bomb that screams instead of ticking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

FeastForCows posted:

Because it usually wouldn't spell certain death, no matter how bad you have it. That baby is a time bomb that screams instead of ticking.

Its a metaphor

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

got any sevens posted:

Its a metaphor

Still dumb in the movie's reality, though? Shouldn't it work on both levels?

In any case, I'm not too hung up on that one point. Explaining it wouldn't make the movie any better.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I mean accidents are a thing especially when contraceptives run out and if you think people would stop having sex in any scenario then lol

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Tiptoes (2003): 3/10
PlayTime (1967): 8/10
The Game (1997): 8/10
The Mask (1994): 7/10
The Disaster Artist (2017): 7/10
Jumanji (1995) 7/10
A Futile and Stupid Gesture (2018) 8/10
Icarus (2017) 9/10
Paris is Burning (1990) 7/10
AlphaGo (2017) 7/10
Poltergeist (1982) 8/10
Akira (1988) 10/10
The Last Jedi (2017) 5/10
The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996) 3/10
Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau (2014) 7/10
Ex Machina (2015) 10/10
Mission: Impossible (1996) 6/10
Predator (1987) 8/10
Crazy Rich Asians (2018) 6/10
Back to the Future (1985) 10/10

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Why so down on mission? I can guess why you didnt like crazy rich though.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

got any sevens posted:

Why so down on mission? I can guess why you didnt like crazy rich though.

I really liked the first half or so, but then the more it goes on the less I was really interesting in watching more. I could probably break down the movie as an 8/10 first half, 5/10 second half.

once the mole is revealed I didn't really need more, and I hated the last action sequence with the train and helicopter, with a helicopter somehow fitting in the chunnel, at one point with a train passing by :confused:

it was real fun watching a 90s action blockbuster, a much quainter era where you can't go too big with your set pieces because the CG isn't quite there. I would definitely watch it again, and don't consider it a bad movie by any stretch

those crazy asians was alright, but I didn't see it as much beyond a standard rom-com but with kind of odd casting -- not because they're all asian, because they're mostly asian americans playing a singaporean family. I think the only non-chinese characters in the singapore phase of the movie were two disposable indian guards

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 17, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why so down on Tiptoes?

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Winchester 1/5
This movie is poo poo. It is so milequetoast, so average you won't remember it at all after you watch it. The only interesting thing is that it is based on a true story. I recommend reading the wikipedia page for the Winchester family which is a much better use of your time.

Hereditary 4/5
Hereditary is one of the rare horror movies with an actual story. Unfortunately I feel like the story wasn't that good as people say it was. Something like the Babadook already did PTSD better and mother child aspect. The scary bits were very unnerving but there was very few of them. The acting was really good by everyone that I agree with. Maybe I just went in with too high expectations from all the reviews.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The Tree of Life (3 hour cut) - 96/100

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Less releases I'm interested in means I'm starting to dip into my backlog of things I meant to check out in alphabetical order..which has been kinda strange, but whatever.

Everything I saw in theaters (or VOD/disc where *) from 6/21-9/17

The Good:

Mandy
Sharp Edges * (hulu)
Blindspotting
Sicario *

The Pretty Good (but I doubt I'd ever rewatch it):

3 Identical Strangers
Sorry to bother you
Eighth grade
Don't worry he won't get far on foot
Blackkklansman
12 years a slave

The eh/mediocre/catch on cable:

Izzy gets the gently caress across town
The incredibles 2
Ant man 2
the 4th *
30 minutes or less *

The I wish I could get my time back list:

Jurassic world 2
Sicario 2
Happytime Murders

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

The Good:

Sicario *

[/b]
The I wish I could get my time back list:

Sicario 2

This seems about right from what I've seen and read about Sicario 2, and the blatantly propagandist tone it adopted from the get go, but I'd be interested in hearing your take.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I meant to watch the first one when it came out because I am a huge fan of the cinematographer, Roger Deakins. He's one of those masters of the craft that regardless of the story, you know the visuals will be incredible and worth the price of admission alone.

Saw it on a pretty decent setup/5.1 system and really dug it obviously. It has just enough lack of exposition combined with the emily blunt manifestation of naivety that it works beautifully. The thing sort of plays like an art house film that would otherwise be a Cinemax Tom Berenger shoot em up from a decade ago. (There's a shot of a drain pipe that just holds on it during a waterboarding that feels like something out of a malick movie but works so well even though it's so out of place for this kind of script)

I didn't watch any of the trailers for the sequel even though they played a thousand times before every movie in april/may and apparently was internet hype worthy. This meant I had no idea it was a totally different director and dp.

It basically took all of the good things from the first one and either invalidated them or ignored them in favor of this bland action pastiche. Apparently, there were major issues with the script/final scene being reworked which makes sense after you see it.
Honestly, the least of the problems with it. It's a sequel that doesn't need to exist, tries to set up a franchise for the sake of a franchise, and actually ruins the atmosphere and characters of the first film. I'm pretty glad it flopped and most likely would have just netflixed it had I known the first team bailed..it really shows.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I heard the final scene was about Benicio approaching a younger dude and saying something like "so, you want to be a sicario, eh?", which is groan-worthy even in the abstract.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I heard the final scene was about Benicio approaching a younger dude and saying something like "so, you want to be a sicario, eh?", which is groan-worthy even in the abstract.

yeah dude. this is a character who shoots him and leaves him for dead in an audience fakeout that's pretty wack. It makes no sense, the whole movie is a mess. If you liked BDT's character from the first one this one ruins it completely.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

You guys had a completely different read on that scene than we did.

he killed that dumbass. He was being sarcastic

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Loved Sicario 2 but that last line made me laugh out loud.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Bottom Liner posted:

You guys had a completely different read on that scene than we did.

he killed that dumbass. He was being sarcastic

he does in the original script, until they changed it to uhh leave room for more sequels?? who knows. i'm with you though, that's what you'd expect. ugh, that movie.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

zer0spunk posted:

yeah dude. this is a character who shoots him and leaves him for dead in an audience fakeout that's pretty wack. It makes no sense, the whole movie is a mess. If you liked BDT's character from the first one this one ruins it completely.

I'm not sure we're really supposed to like his character, but he was at least menacingly consistent in the original.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Tess - 90/100

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Mandy: :birddrugs::catdrugs:
Coolest craziest film since Fury Road

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Fahrenheit 11/9 (2018): A

It wasn't quite what I was expecting. It was better.

Rather than offering excuses or justification for why Hillary loses, Moore focused less on why Hillary lost than the systemic causes for fuhrer Donald. He spoke about state electors flipping the vote to Hillary over Bernie, he talked about the press (in 2016 and beyond) allowing themselves to be led around by Donnie by the nose. He focused a lot of time on the Flint water crisis and reminded me of something I had either forgotten or hadn't known: Obama's tone-deaf speech to the people of Flint sometime in - I think - 2015. Obama hosed up and, according to Moore, probably inspired a lot of people not to vote at all.

The movie was a rollercoaster: sometimes inspiring, sometimes depressing, and very often infuriating. It is, as a famous person once said, a "kick in our complacency".

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Madeline's Madeline: :catdrugs:
Black Swan crossed with Birdman, i dug it but it's gonna be hit or miss

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

My Darling Clementine (1946): B
Cinderella Liberty (1973): A
I really like both Marsha Mason and James Caan. Great movie.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Zardoz - really cool, more like a stage play and the ending reminded me of the issue with the original ending of little shop of horrors
Sean Connery's erection destroys society

Gold Rush (1925) - good old fashioned story that has been cribbed from for decades, great visual gags throughout too.

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Oct 1, 2018

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Zardoz is something else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

A Star is Born: 9/10. 95% of film in recent years is watch and forget to me, but this one will stay with me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

A Star is Born - 4/5 : Lady Gaga was great, Cooper was surprising in front and behind the camera. Script was a little loose and the film could probably be 15-20 minutes shorter for the better but really strong overall.

Venom - Really dumb, really bad action sequences, but enjoyable in the end thanks to Tom Hardy and the Venom dynamic.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Broken Blossoms (1919) - great acting and good lean version of romeo and juliet, perhaps a little too lean of a plot but well lit and shot if you watch the tinted version on youtube, better than many films today still

PTizzle
Oct 1, 2008
I thought First Man could have been paced a little tighter, but it's still a visually stunning and well crafted film. I really dug the approach of showing a grand undertaking on a much more personal and intimate level than we usually see.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

PTizzle posted:

I thought First Man could have been paced a little tighter, but it's still a visually stunning and well crafted film. I really dug the approach of showing a grand undertaking on a much more personal and intimate level than we usually see.

Excited to see this because I love procedurals.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

First Man - 5/5 but not without flaws. Great performances carry this movie that while being about a pivotal moment in American and human history, is a very personal story that uses those events to tell a story about something completely separate. Gosling was very solid as always but Claire Foy will be the most talked about for good reason. She holds the film and story together much like her character does in the home of an astronaut during the Apollo program.

Shooting the home life stuff in 16mm was a brilliant move, giving it all a nostalgic and hazy feel that makes it feel like you're watching home movies from those days. The NASA and launch scenes have a more cinematic and sterile feel since it was 35mm but where the film lost me visually was when they actually showed the lunar sequence. It was an odd shift to a super CGI high resolution that felt off, especially during a long pan shot that had some weird motion blur. This was especially glaring given how iconic the footage of that landing is and how present it is in almost everyone's mind. I would have vastly preferred it fit the rest of the film's style visually.

The score is also odd, doing great things with the main theme and it's usage of a theremin. My biggest issue was how similar it was to the La La Land main theme but maybe more prevalent was the placement of key musical moments not matching what was going on visually. This was most noticeable during the docking sequence, calling up a sweeping classical movement that was a direct homage to 2001 but the scenes were mixed with cuts to the mission control completely ruined the moment. Kubrick wasn't afraid to let the long shots linger and that made the score and visuals work together, this is way too frantic (throughout really, though used well in launch sequences and the like).

I really appreciated the slow pacing and focus on the character as opposed to a lot of the spectacle surrounding him, which was fitting historically and served the film well. I'm curious about the accuracy of some of the events but even if embellished they were effective.

So yeah, despite some key nagging issues I really really enjoyed it.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
First Man is pretty drat terrific. To me, the Moon landing(s) are among the greatest achievements in human history, and seeing a very personal portrayal of them was very moving to me.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Echoing love for First Man, the movie is much more than it seems.

First Man - 93/100
Solo: A Star Wars Story - 71/100
Body Heat - (rewatch) 89/100
Ju-Dou - (rewatch) 92/100

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Oct 13, 2018

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Just rewatched Solo as well. Liked it more this time but I think I've settled on this: it's a decent Star Wars film that would be much better if you name the main character Hank and pretend he's Han's long lost brother.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Just rewatched Solo as well. Liked it more this time but I think I've settled on this: it's a decent Star Wars film that would be much better if you name the main character Hank and pretend he's Han's long lost brother.

For the most part I don't really think Solo is any better or worse than any of the other Disney SW films, but it's got a bit more heart/romance and a fair chunk more actor chemistry than the mainline titles. Not as dismal as Rogue 1, but in dire need of script supervision and better color correction.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Straight Time (1978): A
My Man Godfrey (1936): B+

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
Watched Highlander for the first time just now, and it's...something. Not really sure why it's regarded as a cult classic. Lambert is laughably bad (and his laugh is bad), there's too many flashbacks, the supporting characters are bad (with the exception of Connery maybe), run-time is way too long and there's too many scenes that reminded me I'd rather be watching Terminator. The only saving grace is the soundtrack.

4/10.

Edit: I just remembered, I absolutely loved some of the shots, especially that long crane shot at the beginning of the wrestling match. Looked fantastic.

FeastForCows fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Oct 13, 2018

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

FeastForCows posted:

Watched Highlander for the first time just now, and it's...something. Not really sure why it's regarded as a cult classic. Lambert is laughably bad (and his laugh is bad), there's too many flashbacks, the supporting characters are bad (with the exception of Connery maybe), run-time is way too long and there's too many scenes that reminded me I'd rather be watching Terminator. The only saving grace is the soundtrack.

4/10.

Edit: I just remembered, I absolutely loved some of the shots, especially that long crane shot at the beginning of the wrestling match. Looked fantastic.

Clancy Brown rules though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FeastForCows posted:

4/10.

It's a cult classic because of the weird concept, the soundtrack, and a few extremely memorable and slick MTV-lite camera shots.