Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

slowly tearing away from the one-year-per-page paradigm

e: lol sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

what is going on

post some screen shots or something

so hot in here

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Roosevelt posted:

what is going on

so hot in here

not much lol

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Just cheat and give planetbusters to everyone already lol.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Roosevelt posted:

what is going on

so hot in here
nothing's changed, really; university is kicking everyone's asses according to the charts, so far i've only met one other person and since no one knows where everyone else is we're not willing to show off our bases or anything else just yet

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

show me the money
something for nothing
modify the phase variance
black sheep wall

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

anthonypants posted:

nothing's changed, really; university is kicking everyone's asses according to the charts, so far i've only met one other person and since no one knows where everyone else is we're not willing to show off our bases or anything else just yet

free drones and the hive are south of me

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
also according to the last chart i posted, i'm in the lead for territory, but does anyone know if that's territory discovered, or if it's just the dashed-line around my bases?

because if that's territory discovered and i've seriously only ever run into one other person, lomarf

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

anthonypants posted:

also according to the last chart i posted, i'm in the lead for territory, but does anyone know if that's territory discovered, or if it's just the dashed-line around my bases?

because if that's territory discovered and i've seriously only ever run into one other person, lomarf

p sure it's actual claimed territory

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

i (Hive) am sharing an island with improbable lobster (Drones) which is chill. we've got a pact and everything!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
it's nice, we have

uh

a rover

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

it's nice, we have

uh

a rover

there's two monoliths, also last turn i saw some mindworms creeping up from the south-east (they'd stopped off at the monolith for a morale boost, sneaky bastards)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

cheese-cube posted:

there's two monoliths, also last turn i saw some mindworms creeping up from the south-east (they'd stopped off at the monolith for a morale boost, sneaky bastards)

I'm a little northwest of you two

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i'd kinda like to share a pic of the map i've exposed but then everyone would know where my and miriam's bases are and we can't have that just yet

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
I think only free drones knows where I'm at

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got Industrial Base you're all dead now

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

raminasi posted:

p sure it's actual claimed territory

It's claimed territory, but only counts land territory. So pirates may have like 6 bases, but you'd never know it from the territory graph.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
is it possible to have the game tell you how many squares apart two bases are?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

I got Industrial Base you're all dead now

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1040521648900759553

anthonypants posted:

i'd kinda like to share a pic of the map i've exposed but then everyone would know where my and miriam's bases are and we can't have that just yet

you know how when you finish a game it shows a time-lapse territory map? i reckon that'd be a cool thing to capture and post. maybe glorgnole can grab random saves, trigger win condition and capture the territory animation thingo?

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 20, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
in it, voted 5

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

cheese-cube posted:

https://twitter.com/GarbageDotNet/status/1040521648900759553

you know how when you finish a game it shows a time-lapse territory map? i reckon that'd be a cool thing to capture and post. maybe glorgnole can grab random saves, trigger win condition and capture the territory animation thingo?

that's what i was hoping to do but i haven't found a good straightforward solution. the game won't let you load a password-protected MP save in single-player, and it's not possible to use the scenario editor tools, and having everyone resign just makes all the factions AI controlled.

I haven't found a good resource for poking at the savefiles themselves. seems like it should be a tractable problem but I'm just not sure where to start. maybe someone reading this is more familiar with parsing unfamiliar binary files than I am!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Glorgnole posted:

I haven't found a good resource for poking at the savefiles themselves. seems like it should be a tractable problem but I'm just not sure where to start. maybe someone reading this is more familiar with parsing unfamiliar binary files than I am!

SMAC uses a modified version of the civ2 engine right? maybe some of the reverse engineering work the community has done for civ2 will also apply to SMAC? here's some civ2 utilities that might be worth checking out: https://www.civfanatics.com/civ2/downloads/utility/

game status: just sent the save onto improbable lobster. here's the current state of play:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

anthonypants posted:

the year is now 2129

the name of the place... is alpha centauri *music swells*

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

the planets actually called Chiron but whatever

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
idk what you all did but in less than a week the year is now 2130. how do we get you to take your turns this quickly every time

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

shout INDIGENOUS LIFEFORMS through their window each day they don't submit a save

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

shout INDIGENOUS LIFEFORMS through their window each day they don't submit a save

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

the name of the place... is alpha centauri *music swells*

get the HELL out of my continent

both of you

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

oh yeah hey so some of you i may have reached out to but in general if you're feeling down with no Centauri Ecology or Doctrine: Mobility then maybe you should hit up your boy Chairman Wu-Tang of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin? idk it may be early game but you might want them techs?

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Pile Of Garbage posted:

oh yeah hey so some of you i may have reached out to but in general if you're feeling down with no Centauri Ecology or Doctrine: Mobility then maybe you should hit up your boy Chairman Wu-Tang of the 36th Chamber of Shaolin? idk it may be early game but you might want them techs?

i'm playing the gaians for now (until sagebrush tells me otherwise or i get bored/fed up/find someone else) and i'll take you up on doctrine: mobility since i don't think they have it yet.

feels like our favorite space nudists are running a bit behind - wonder if something traumatic happened that i missed. hopefully i can get them semi-competitive again quickly!

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

climate change strikes again! also many thanks for your dedication to this game glorgnole!

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Sep 29, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Glorgnole posted:

i'm playing the gaians for now
folks i think we found the bottleneck

the year is now 2131

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah sorry i'm going up for tenure this fall and it's, uh, not conducive to free time

thanks glorgnole for continuing the game. please continue to roleplay them as a bunch of aimless burning man stoners as i have been doing

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
wow, the gaians must have a ton of units if moving them all is a significant time investment

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

okay, admittedly i am also having trouble maintaining interest in a game that's been going for nearly a year where no one has even met each other yet

probably got add or something

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 29, 2018

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sagebrush posted:

okay, admittedly i am also having trouble maintaining interest in a game that's been going for nearly a year where no one has even met each other yet

i ran into miriam six turns and three months ago, and posted about it in the thread

p sure smoka ran into people earlier than that

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

it's basically performance art at this point

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Glorgnole posted:

it's basically performance art at this point

I'm enjoying the art

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

i'll post my gaian adventures so there's more to this thread than gripes about the state of The Turn

i need to go on an expansionist and building bent for a while. the colony pod i have out is headed for the woods by that monolith to the south, and the next one is going to snag that river to the west (open to suggestions from viewers like you though!). hopefully i can build 2 more bases in the next couple turns. with 3 bases i'd feel comfortable starting a secret project.

right now my only source of energy is hunting mind worms. this is really not ideal: no base energy income = very little research = no assault choppers and nerve-gas pods. to help address this, the 'former is going to get to work planting some forests. the river tile with nutrients is a great spot for a forest, once i make it over there.

sorry for spending all your hard-earned cash buying units and facilities, sagebrush. it's super-important to invest in the future!

since the whole continent is explored, it would be a good idea to build a boat or two and hit the high seas. contingent on being able to research, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Glorgnole posted:

i'll post my gaian adventures so there's more to this thread than gripes about the state of The Turn

i need to go on an expansionist and building bent for a while. the colony pod i have out is headed for the woods by that monolith to the south, and the next one is going to snag that river to the west (open to suggestions from viewers like you though!). hopefully i can build 2 more bases in the next couple turns. with 3 bases i'd feel comfortable starting a secret project.

right now my only source of energy is hunting mind worms. this is really not ideal: no base energy income = very little research = no assault choppers and nerve-gas pods. to help address this, the 'former is going to get to work planting some forests. the river tile with nutrients is a great spot for a forest, once i make it over there.

sorry for spending all your hard-earned cash buying units and facilities, sagebrush. it's super-important to invest in the future!

since the whole continent is explored, it would be a good idea to build a boat or two and hit the high seas. contingent on being able to research, though.

I'm southwest of you I think