Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I still like the NES there are so many great games for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Steve Yun posted:

Assuming that each successive throwback console has less games because of file size and memory cost, what three games do you think the PS3 Classic will have

The MGS4 Box.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Viewtiful Jew posted:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1042457102868865024
https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1042461006654365697

Ehhhh, it's one thing if we're talking about "Old games" but this seems like it's leading into a bigger thing about abolishing gaming consoles entirely which...I don't think you'll see any of the big three relenting to any time soon. Like do you really think the whole "Microsoft games day and date on PC and One" thing would have ever happened if they weren't in the position they were in this gen?

The difference between video games and a movie is that watching a movie in 1895 is the same as watching a movie in 2018, whereas even one decade or hell 5 years of gaming can produced half a dozen different pieces of hardware

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also he did have to purchase an " HBO mini", it's called a DVD, or a subscription to HBO.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Also given the state of pop culture today there's probably a market for a device that looks exactly like a top loading VCR or an old cable box but streams modern media

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

In Training posted:

The difference between video games and a movie is that watching a movie in 1895 is the same as watching a movie in 2018, whereas even one decade or hell 5 years of gaming can produced half a dozen different pieces of hardware

This is because the major film studios have generally agreed that a unified format/platforms for their products were in their best interests, while their counterparts in games did not

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Steve Yun posted:

Man I wonder what games the PS2 Classic, the Gamecube Mini, Xbox Classic and Dreamcast Flashback are going to have

ps2:
wild arms 3
ratchet & clank
jak and daxter
sly cooper
sly 2
metal gear solid 3
gradius v
devil may cry
klonoa 2
final fantasy x
shin megami tensei: nocturne
gran turismo 3
silent hill 2
god of war
ico
suikoden 3
ace combat 5
zone of the enders
a twisted metal game
jak x: combat racing
katamari damacy, even though there will already be an hd rerelease available for it

gc:
super mario sunshine
smash bros melee
luigi's mansion
mario kart double dash
wind waker
chibi-robo
paper mario ttyd
super monkey ball
animal crossing
soulcalibur 2
mario party 6
tales of symphonia
resident evil 4
viewtiful joe
warioware: mega microgame$
star fox adventures
f-zero gx
metroid prime 2
ikaruga
eternal darkness

xbox:
blinx
halo
halo 2
voodoo vince
panzer dragoon orta
gunvalkyrie
far cry instincts
jet set radio future
project gotham racing
knights of the old republic
morrowind
ninja gaiden
shenmue ii
gta: san andreas
bmx xxx

dreamcast:
skies of arcadia
sonic adventure
jet set radio
space channel 5
soulcalibur
rez
street fighter alpha 3
bangai-o
power stone 2
marvel vs capcom 2
virtual-on
shenmue
D2
illbleed
daytona usa
sonic shuffle
crazy taxi
ecco the dolphin: defender of the universe
resident evil: code veronica
grandia ii

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I also don't like Cifaldi's repeated rhetoric and comparisons to film preservation when an enormous amount of film history is lost to the ages, or inaccessible in the US (swap in whatever domestic market comparison as needed) in any legal sense. When you want to watch Hollywood dogshit from a bargain bin of course that stuff is available for 4 dollars at a Shop Rite but it's always been a comparison that's rubbed me the wrong way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Steve Yun posted:

Assuming that each successive throwback console has less games because of file size and memory cost, what three games do you think the PS3 Classic will have

Lair, Genji Days of the Blade and PS1 Ridge Racer

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

This is because the major film studios have generally agreed that a unified format/platforms for their products were in their best interests, while their counterparts in games did not

I'm talking about controllers more than the boxes themselves, which are just computers and can play basically anything if programmed to do so.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

gc:
super mario sunshine
smash bros melee
luigi's mansion
mario kart double dash
wind waker
chibi-robo
paper mario ttyd
super monkey ball
animal crossing
soulcalibur 2
mario party 6
tales of symphonia
resident evil 4
viewtiful joe
warioware: mega microgame$
star fox adventures
f-zero gx
metroid prime 2
ikaruga
eternal darkness

Man the Gamecube was really good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't that what a PC is

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

hosed up to put BMX XXX in the xbox list but leave out doa volleyball!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Help Im Alive posted:

Man the Gamecube was really good

Eh, even in listing that many it was clear the choices were being stretched thin towards the end.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dreamcast box has gotta have Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver. It’s still the best platform to experience the game!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

axelblaze posted:

Eh, even in listing that many it was clear the choices were being stretched thin towards the end.

The list was missing Fire Emblem though so

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Steve Yun posted:

Isn't that what a PC is

Yes, but all the games that are on these classic platforms are console exclusives and thus generally only available on the very narrow terms set by the specific platform holders

Basically it's the equivalent of Disney saying "we're taking our poo poo out of the vault, get it while it's hot"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

loev to get hot poo poo exuded from disney’s vault

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The DS mini is gonna be really good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Oh man I can’t wait for the PC Classic. MUD, Ultima 3, Doom and Half Life. Dell, make it happen!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

axelblaze posted:

there are more gamecube games i could list as being insanely good but i'm trying to go for the ones that would be vaguely realistic, i.e. were significantly popular and acclaimed enough that they'd be stuffed in a bullshit box and sold for $150

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

a gamecube mini at that price would be hilarious

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Steve Yun posted:

Oh man I can’t wait for the PC Classic. MUD, Ultima 3, Doom and Half Life. Dell, make it happen!

ask me about buying the valve complete collection in 2013 and thinking "man this is awesome but i guess i'm gonna have to buy the next valve game separate some day"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

THQ Nordic bought more dead franchises.

https://gematsu.com/2018/09/thq-nordic-acquires-alone-in-the-dark-act-of-war

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
The best thing about being a PC gamer is that I don't need to give a poo poo about mini throwback consoles and I can play everything for free. :unsmith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

At first I rolled my eyes at the whole changeover but the more random crap these guys pick up for pennies on the dollar the more excited I am for a B-game renaissance

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Alone in the Dark could be neat. Long as they don’t try to make it a shooter like the last installment

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

The Colonel posted:

ask me about buying the valve complete collection in 2013 and thinking "man this is awesome but i guess i'm gonna have to buy the next valve game separate some day"

Gordon Freeman will finally reappear when Konami puts out another Bomberman R update and includes Gordon Bomber. There's nobody else to pick now.

I mean I guess they can still do Chell Bomber...or Demoman Bomber. Demo Bomber?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Shindragon posted:

Alone in the Dark could be neat. Long as they don’t try to make it a shooter like the last installment

most of what thq nordic does is grab up the old cult hits that people liked in a series and touch them up and maybe rerelease them so i don't think even if they do make new games they're going to make the mistake of diverging too heavily from the things people liked

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Haven't seen anyone talking about this yet

https://twitter.com/pcgamer/status/1042503802027499520

quote:

Red Dead Online is "an evolution of the classic multiplayer experience in the original Red Dead Redemption," Rockstar said, with a narrative framework supporting both competitive and cooperative play. It will be playable solo or in groups, and "constant updates" are promised, "to grow and evolve this experience for all players."

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I think everyone just sort of assumed that was coming and was just trying to figure out what funny thing the obnoxious microtransactions will be named.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Poker has been replaced with a digital TCG. Collect all your favorite rockstar heroes!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

red dead redemption online was p fun 10 years ago

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

oddium posted:

red dead redemption online was p fun 10 years ago
Nah, it was just hackers sniping you from a mile away. GTA 4 had fun multiplayer though if only for just allowing you to just to have a big free for all around Liberty City.

But yeah, I knew this would happen. I've already come to terms that 2 is going to probably be worse than RDR 1.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Steam-powered spider legs for everybody who pays real dollars for them.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
driving by to say that it's cool that someone other than me played freakin' Septerra Core

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Alone in the Dark guy also made Little Big Planet which got a mobile re-release a year or two ago and I wouldn't mind a new LBP with modern hardware. We definitely need a weird cartoon game about imperialism ruining everything just like Lorn Lanning needs to get off his rear end and make another game about rampant consumerism and the capitalists that literally eat their workforce.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

The Alone in the Dark guy also made Little Big Planet which got a mobile re-release a year or two ago and I wouldn't mind a new LBP with modern hardware. We definitely need a weird cartoon game about imperialism ruining everything just like Lorn Lanning needs to get off his rear end and make another game about rampant consumerism and the capitalists that literally eat their workforce.

are you talking about littlebigplanet or little big adventure

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Accordion Man posted:

Nah, it was just hackers sniping you from a mile away. GTA 4 had fun multiplayer though if only for just allowing you to just to have a big free for all around Liberty City.

But yeah, I knew this would happen. I've already come to terms that 2 is going to probably be worse than RDR 1.

I'm sure it was terrible on PC but rdr online was some of the most fun I ever had with online play. Every round starting with a Mexican standoff was the best poo poo. If everybody knew to gun for you in a death match you had to start every round rolling and dodging around.

The free roam lobbies let you do goofy poo poo like throw heat seeking dynamite at people while riding a zebra donkey.

Looking at GTAV's online I'm sure it'll be garbage but I'll still be bumrushing it to get all the goodies before they extend the grind tenfold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

tap my mountain posted:

I'm sure it was terrible on PC

is this a joke

• Locked thread