Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

site posted:

Kelly just remove Gwen from the team so I can enjoy wca

Do you hate her that much? It does seem weird to be forced to agree with Quire's opinion on movies, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just the opposite, I'd rather not see Kelly use her as a deadpool-lite after all the character development she had in her solo book

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Yeah, I can see that. She isn't really written badly, but just kinda off. For example, it feels weird that she didn't even mention that MODOK kind of has a score to settle with her.

But I do have hope that it will get better. Right now, Gwen is pretty much a weird, sort of crazy mystery to everyone involved. And she might be leaning into that perception. Once they get to know her better, she might open up a bit more and trust herself to be more than a wacky sidekick.
Actually, it would be kind of cool if that was a calculated move. Gwen wants to stick around, so she turns up the craziness a bit, because she thinks that would help her stand out and and be more popular with the general comic book audience.

I'm just writing fan fiction here, since I have no clue what Thompson's plans are, or if she really has any. But I am hopeful that she will pull off something. She managed to make me like Captain Marvel, Medusa and even freaking Dazzler so I do know she can do it. The problem is probably that Hasting's characterization of Gwen was already really good, so most changes in any direction would feel like a step down.

I genuinely did like the scene with Quentin, even though it was kind of a overused trope.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 19, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
America Chavez is really someone I wouldn't want pissed at me I could leave her in the dimension entirely made of shrimp

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Is the character different from that god-awful solo series she had?

Edit: For clarity’s sake, I am talking about America Chavez <3

Nilbop fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Sep 19, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:psypop:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Nilbop posted:

Basically, her character seems to be stuck at the level of the beginning of her series, when she hadn't had any real development and was a one note character.

So, how far did you read that series? To be honest, the first few issues felt kinda bad, but that series did improve remarkably and by the end I was really sad to see it go, since it became a favorite.
I can't blame you for quitting part way, since I might have done it myself if I hadn't been really bored at one point.

If you did read the whole series and didn't enjoy it by the end, I guess we don't like the same things and that's cool, I guess. :shrug:

EDIT: Oh you're talking about Chavez. Silly me. Yeah, that solo series was kind of terrible.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Sep 19, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nilbop posted:

I didn't read the solo series, she's probably best written in the Gillen/McKelvie Young Avengers series where she's constantly threatening to punt young Loki through a window.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Nilbop posted:

It would be hard to be worse than her solo series. It was absolute trash.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's not clear if Nilbop is taking about the Gwenpool solo series (which was good!) or the America Chavez one (which was not)

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ah, yeah for reference I was talking about Gwen

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Blockhouse posted:

It's not clear if Nilbop is taking about the Gwenpool solo series (which was good!) or the America Chavez one (which was not)

Gwenpool from what I saw was fine, but it was just too wacky and took the fourth wall breaking past the point of interest for me. The way Deadpool breaks the fourth wall is about my limit. Once it gets to "Let's break all the rules of comics, look I'm in margins of the books and I can teleport villains outside of the comic into the void between the pages" it's no longer something I have interest in. If it was a solo Image title or an unconnected thing that didn't have to fit into an established universe it might be a better idea. But having that ability in the established Marvel Universe is like, what can anyone even do with that? Where do you go once you can walk in and out of the book at will and have power over and knowledge of everything? That's just not interesting to me at all.

America was complete garbage and what I was referring to.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Is Sabretooth still trying to be Pepsi to Wolverine's Coca Cola or is he bad again?

(please do not derail with how you like one drink more than the other, nobody fuckin' cares)

he's currently the leader of Weapon X, the incredibly heroic team consisting of himself, Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, Mystique and Domino.

so yes, he's still good.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Personally I thought Hastings establishing editorial control as literal cosmic-esque idea that functions as a power limiter was funny as hell

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I did not read America but heard it was bad. What were it's main problems?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

The writer was new to comics and couldn't write comics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I haven't actually read it, but they send her to like an interdimensional school for superheroes when she'd already been established as a complete bad-rear end. It's like the complete opposite of what they did with Captain Marvel where everyone treats her like she's this great hero when there wasn't a backstory to it.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Alaois posted:

he's currently the leader of Weapon X, the incredibly heroic team consisting of himself, Lady Deathstrike, Omega Red, Mystique and Domino.

so yes, he's still good.

Weapon X Force :colbert:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

I haven't actually read it, but they send her to like an interdimensional school for superheroes when she'd already been established as a complete bad-rear end. It's like the complete opposite of what they did with Captain Marvel where everyone treats her like she's this great hero when there wasn't a backstory to it.

Nah it wasn't a school for superheroes it was just college with some wacky, science but marvel super science type classes

It did establish her as being part of a long line of super space lesbians tho

site fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 19, 2018

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Weapon X is great and Sabretooth is great in it.

X-O posted:

Can Marvel just make a month where Sabretooth is inexplicably named leader of every team? Please?

And of course it works out about as well as you'd expect.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

sorry, The All-New Weapon X-Force

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alaois posted:

sorry, The All-New Weapon X-Force

All-New All-Different Weapon X-Force

It's like you aren't even trying.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean he clearly says "To me my Weapon X-Men" as he he's being dragged near death. Come on guys.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

I mean he clearly says "To me my Weapon X-Men" as he he's being dragged near death. Come on guys.

Professor Sabretooth is a jerk.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

X-O posted:

Yeah but he called it Weapon X Force in the latest issue.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
So uh did renew your vows get stealth cancelled after the spider-girls mini? The way jody is talking about it on twitter it sounds like it mightve been, but i hope not :(

https://twitter.com/Jody_Houser/status/1042513909729488896?s=19

Btw December solicits are out

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

site posted:

Huh, here's an interesting thing that kindof jumped at me. It's one of those comics that's about the movies:

quote:

MARVEL’S AVENGERS: UNTITLED PRELUDE #1 (of 3)
WILL CORONA PILGRIM (W) • PACO DIAZ (A)
A COSMIC CALAMITY!
From the dawn of the universe came six INFINITY STONES, each in control of an essential aspect of existence: space, reality, power, soul, mind and time. Now, THANOS strives to collect them all to further his mad plan of wiping out half the universe’s population. Standing between him and his goal: the AVENGERS, the GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, SPIDER-MAN, and more! But with one Infinity Stone already in Thanos’ possession, will even the combined might of the Marvel Universe be enough to stop him?
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

It's untitled. Does that mean by December we'll know the name of the second movie of Infinity War will be called? Because at that point, this comic will be out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I read the SM annual.....it was fine but didn’t really do anything that interesting.

Like we know everything the story told us already.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

site posted:

So uh did renew your vows get stealth cancelled after the spider-girls mini? The way jody is talking about it on twitter it sounds like it mightve been, but i hope not :(

https://twitter.com/Jody_Houser/status/1042513909729488896?s=19

:ohdear:

I was buying it from a brick-and-mortar store and everything!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
What the hell is with the outfit Typoid Mary is wearing on that Iron Fist cover? Is her plan to distract Danny with nipslips?

Nico wearing a "Halloween Pride" shirt on that Holiday issue :allyears:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

What the hell is with the outfit Typoid Mary is wearing on that Iron Fist cover? Is her plan to distract Danny with nipslips?

Nico wearing a "Halloween Pride" shirt on that Holiday issue :allyears:

She has the same outfit in Bendis' Daredevil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoid_Mary_%28comics%29#/media/File:Daredevil46.jpg

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I have no idea what was left unsaid in todays edge of spidergeddon, although what was implied didnt sound good, but i liked reading it

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I thought it had been known for a while that Renew Your Vows was done at the end of the year. A couple months back they announced a trade with only like four issues in it. That's a clear sign it was donezo.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I had noticed it disappeared from solicits when spider girls got announced but I don't keep track of trades so I missed that

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Skwirl posted:

There was also this thing of her having to break up with her girlfriend... except can't Amerca teleport about wherever she wants to?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

:stare: It may be a shadow but I totally see a nipple there.

I liked the outfit she had in Deadpool vs Hawkeye.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Soldier supreme is the right kind of bonkers mashup, kinda bummed this is only gonna be two issues tbh

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Ghost Panther #2 in Previews revealing my villain for the mini- spoilers?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

You are very good at comics.