Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Vegetable posted:

You are far more likely to feel this current feeling again at your new job if you don’t negotiate

Yeah this.

I've never, in my life, had this happen:

"Hey I'd like to offer you $75k"
"How about $85k?"
"gently caress off, now I offer nothing"

I've had to tell people we were firm with salary (it happens, low/mid-level managers have far less control over salary than people realize) but I'd never pull an offer.

Use glassdoor, get a reasonable number, make a confident pitch. Don't give a range, if someone says "I want 75-85" that just means 75.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
if the counter is wildly out of line i might start to question the person's judgement

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64
I'm looking for some pointers on how to add my new position to my resume.

Here is my current resume.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_q7tsrLNAKPR2Exb3lhakwwWlE

Just shy of a year ago I took a 2nd shift plant supervisor position. It's me in charge with a skeleton crew manning the other departments. I still do everything listed in the resume above in addition I take care of my shifts PTO requests and scheduling, payroll, safety meetings, interviews etc. basically all the stuff a supervisor is supposed to do. I also make sure all the machinery and equipment is properly shut down for the night and arm the alarm for the building before I leave.

What should I add or subtract to my resume? I've been with this company for 18 years so I am pretty lost on basically everything job searching related.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Farside posted:

I'm looking for some pointers on how to add my new position to my resume.

Here is my current resume.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_q7tsrLNAKPR2Exb3lhakwwWlE

Just shy of a year ago I took a 2nd shift plant supervisor position. It's me in charge with a skeleton crew manning the other departments. I still do everything listed in the resume above in addition I take care of my shifts PTO requests and scheduling, payroll, safety meetings, interviews etc. basically all the stuff a supervisor is supposed to do. I also make sure all the machinery and equipment is properly shut down for the night and arm the alarm for the building before I leave.

What should I add or subtract to my resume? I've been with this company for 18 years so I am pretty lost on basically everything job searching related.

You definitely want the supervisor stuff in there. What job are you looking to move into? A good resume usually has a target your shooting for.

Farside
Aug 11, 2002
I love my Commodore 64

Lockback posted:

You definitely want the supervisor stuff in there. What job are you looking to move into? A good resume usually has a target your shooting for.

I would like some sort of management job. Honestly 95% of what I do is still what is listed on my resume. The other 5% is basically running meetings and doing extra paperwork. I'm just not sure what to keep, or change or what to add to it. Hell I can easily quantify what I do now in the lab. But how do I talk up that I check the PTO calendar and make sure there is enough coverage for each department before I approve time off? Or that I basically make sure everything is off/shutdown before I set the alarm for the building, or basically any of the other things I listed. Do I scrap what I have and go with purely with the supervisor stuff? I mean I am very different from a retail supervisor. I work in a regulated environment that does food grade and medical gases. I would have to think that would give me a leg up on other candidates.

I guess what I am saying is that I am having writers block on how to mesh these 2 things together to make me look better than other people applying for management roles.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Woof, after not getting an in-person interview since last Halloween (outside of one pity session from a fellow alum) I have two in the next eight days, and a phone screening for a potential third interview. Time to marathon this thread again :v:

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

C-Euro posted:

Woof, after not getting an in-person interview since last Halloween (outside of one pity session from a fellow alum) I have two in the next eight days, and a phone screening for a potential third interview. Time to marathon this thread again :v:

Congratulations! You deserve to feel good.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Farside posted:

I would like some sort of management job. Honestly 95% of what I do is still what is listed on my resume. The other 5% is basically running meetings and doing extra paperwork. I'm just not sure what to keep, or change or what to add to it. Hell I can easily quantify what I do now in the lab. But how do I talk up that I check the PTO calendar and make sure there is enough coverage for each department before I approve time off? Or that I basically make sure everything is off/shutdown before I set the alarm for the building, or basically any of the other things I listed. Do I scrap what I have and go with purely with the supervisor stuff? I mean I am very different from a retail supervisor. I work in a regulated environment that does food grade and medical gases. I would have to think that would give me a leg up on other candidates.

I guess what I am saying is that I am having writers block on how to mesh these 2 things together to make me look better than other people applying for management roles.

**I don't know this field at all, so this advice is relatively generic and please adjust if there is special convention or custom in your field.**

Split up the roles and list them both concurrently. If you want a management role them your resume has too much lab tech stuff in it. Remove stuff that just describes the job your doing and instead focus on accomplishments and things you did that were notable.

-Filled an analyzed ultra high purity gas
This just sounds like you copied it from the job description. Why is it special that you were the one to do that? Get rid of stuff like that and instead replace it with (for example)

-Lead 2nd Shift as Supervisor
-100% Safety record
-Met and Exceeded 2018 Audit for my team's shift
-Hired and mentored 2 high performing technicians
etc

Honestly, if you are looking to move into a management role I think you need to start from scratch on this resume and fill it out with management in mind. If you need to go into 2 pages that is usually ok (depending on field) but make sure it's not fluff. If you want to stand out as someone special you need to take out the stuff that applies to everyone and list that stuff that YOU were able to do that went above and beyond.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

RabbitMage posted:

I had an hour and a half long interview today with someone who knew from the start he didn't want to hire me ... Might want to have me do some consulting work ... Also they want a person who's bilingual with a Master's degree for 48,000 a year max and basically no benefits, so, good luck to them.

So I could use some advice on how to handle a follow-up from this guy, and I'm not sure if there's a better place for it.

He sent an e-mail to the account I used to sign up for the nonprofit's newsletter, not the one I used to contact him professionally, and followed up with three things he'd like me to do for him. As a volunteer.

Two of them involve giving him/doing things from/at my job, which I am not going to do. If he wants those things or a partnership, I'd rather let my boss know and have them handle that. The third is serving on an advisory committee, which I might be up for...but I'm also really focused on finding paid work so I can afford to eat.

The non-profit community here is all over each other, and this guy knows the CEO of my current facility, so I feel like I need to tread VERY lightly.

So what do I respond with that isn't "ahahaha no?"

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Question for you all. Last Monday, I had a personal interview with a IT manager for a state network admin role. He told me that they would get back to me by the end of last week and let me if I got the role or not.

Friday I didn't hear anything back.

Yesterday, still nothing. I emailed him, no response.

Today, still nothing. I called his office phone #, no answer.

On the state job portal, my application is still listed as 'Under Consideration'.

How much longer before I can say I didn't get the job?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

RabbitMage posted:

So I could use some advice on how to handle a follow-up from this guy, and I'm not sure if there's a better place for it.

He sent an e-mail to the account I used to sign up for the nonprofit's newsletter, not the one I used to contact him professionally, and followed up with three things he'd like me to do for him. As a volunteer.

Two of them involve giving him/doing things from/at my job, which I am not going to do. If he wants those things or a partnership, I'd rather let my boss know and have them handle that. The third is serving on an advisory committee, which I might be up for...but I'm also really focused on finding paid work so I can afford to eat.

The non-profit community here is all over each other, and this guy knows the CEO of my current facility, so I feel like I need to tread VERY lightly.

So what do I respond with that isn't "ahahaha no?"

"Thing 1 & 2 I can refer you up the chain if you'd like, but I don't think I am the right person in the organization. I can assist and do what I can to connect you via a partnership.

Thing 3 sounds interesting, can we talk more about what it would entail?"

If the guy is as connected as you say, you should strongly consider doing this stuff if it's time requirement isn't precluding other work.

BigDave posted:

Question for you all. Last Monday, I had a personal interview with a IT manager for a state network admin role. He told me that they would get back to me by the end of last week and let me if I got the role or not.

Friday I didn't hear anything back.

Yesterday, still nothing. I emailed him, no response.

Today, still nothing. I called his office phone #, no answer.

On the state job portal, my application is still listed as 'Under Consideration'.

How much longer before I can say I didn't get the job?

70% chance you didn't get it, 30% chance they are dragging their feet, and those odds are getting worse everyday. I wouldn't call/email anymore though. If you're still applying places, keep applying.

ARCDad
Jul 22, 2007
Not to be confused with poptartin
I'm working on updating my resume, because I hate my job and I want more money, but at my previous job I was only there for a year before getting laid off (April 2017-May 2018)

Before that, I was with my company for 8 years, before getting laid off in August 2016. I had a contract job between August 2016 and April 2017 for 3 months (October-December 2016).

My problem is that I'm not sure if I should keep that in there or not, because I'm getting to be over 2 pages at this point with 10 years of experience. I would like to highlight more of my permanent positions, but I also don't want to leave a huge gap in employment. If I take that out, I can highlight more on my current role/previous role.

Should I keep it, and trim elsewhere, or just dump it since it was only 3 months and a contract job? Then explain that I was laid off and that's the big gap in employment?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Love Stole the Day posted:

Congratulations! You deserve to feel good.

Thanks, it does feel good. Phone screen went alright and it sounds like they'll do another somewhat more technical one later this week or next week. Where were all of these people in June/July when I didn't have poo poo going on and actually had the time to study for an interview?

momtartin posted:

I'm working on updating my resume, because I hate my job and I want more money, but at my previous job I was only there for a year before getting laid off (April 2017-May 2018)

Before that, I was with my company for 8 years, before getting laid off in August 2016. I had a contract job between August 2016 and April 2017 for 3 months (October-December 2016).

My problem is that I'm not sure if I should keep that in there or not, because I'm getting to be over 2 pages at this point with 10 years of experience. I would like to highlight more of my permanent positions, but I also don't want to leave a huge gap in employment. If I take that out, I can highlight more on my current role/previous role.

Should I keep it, and trim elsewhere, or just dump it since it was only 3 months and a contract job? Then explain that I was laid off and that's the big gap in employment?

I think if an interviewer picks up on a longer unemployment gap, they'll ask you about it. If they don't notice it or say anything, then it's probably not a deal-breaker for the position. You could also simply list the position and not elaborate if you're really worried about having a gap like that on your resume.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 19, 2018

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

momtartin posted:

Avoid a gap in employment. If a job isn't interesting, list it and just don't give details, shouldn't take up much real estate.
---
Cow Inseminator 2010-2016
had a 88% insemination success rate
presented annually at cow pregnantapoloza about best technique
lead project to find better music to get cows in the mood

Java Developer (2016-3 month contract)

Senior Cow inseminator 2017-2018
Lead a team of 8 junior cow inseminator
took over bovine massage duties
mentored 4 new hires
---

If your going over two pages you probably are listing too much with your jobs. Remove the stuff that describes the position and focus more on accomplishments that you've made.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Recently scheduled an on-site interview in NYC in the Flatiron district next week (my SO is taking vacation days for the trip) and they've asked me to give them a number before I arrive. It's the second interview with the company after a webcam online one.

The job is mostly taking outsourced website wireframe designs and then implementing them with whatever tech stack the client wants. Also potentially doing game development stuff because the guy says there are contracts he might be able to get if they have a game developer in their office.

I was thinking of saying $120k. The company is 5-10 years old but is not listed on Glassdoor (they said they don't do much brand marketing). Even though the salary graph for NYC is skewed pretty hard (refer to above image), I'm hesitant to ask that because the past several times I've quoted a salary I've never heard from them again.

For example: last month I interviewed with a company in Dallas. When they asked for a salary number at the end of the interview, I told them that "the market rate for their area would be a good place to start." They sent an e-mail the next day saying they liked me and that I seemed like the kind of person they'd want to work with. They also asked what hourly rate I would charge if hired as a contractor rather than as an employee, so I converted Glassdoor's Dallas market rate to an hourly rate and then gave them that. I never heard from them again.

I know that the Kalzumeus guy and goons itt often say that you should never under any circumstances give a number until the first offer is made, but I don't see how to dodge the questions anymore either via e-mail or during the on-site interview where I expect them to press me more on it.

If it helps, their exact wording in the most recent e-mail was:

quote:

"Also, as previously mentioned, it would be good to get an idea of your salary requirements before we continue this process. Kindly send that once you’ve had a chance to think about it."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

You can play coy but I think they'd just under-bid you anyway. I don't know your situation, but I've hired in NYC before and $120k sounds reasonable to me if you have a degree and enough experience than you are in the "intermediate-to-senior" level in your career. You can always be soft by saying something like "$120k, but that may need to be negotiated up or down depending on benefits and the environment".

I have never hung up on someone because their salary request was reasonable but high, so don't start this off by negotiating against yourself first.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
The reason you didn't hear from those prior positions is because they want to underpay someone, and when you show them that someone isn't you, you no longer meet one of their job requirements.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

The reason you didn't hear from those prior positions is because they want to underpay someone, and when you show them that someone isn't you, you no longer meet one of their job requirements.

Bullseye.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007

Lockback posted:

You can always be soft by saying something like "$120k, but that may need to be negotiated up or down depending on benefits and the environment".

This is essentially what I do and it’s worked so far. The I accepted an offer that started negotiations off like this I ended up getting more than what I originally stated, so it’s possible to negotiate up if you leave things somewhat open ended.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

where are you moving from, because NYC COL may be an interesting experience for you

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Is it normal to start thinking of all the reasons that you wouldn't want to go work for a given company in the lead-up to interviewing with them? I have an interview tomorrow and am already pysching myself out with "oh I won't like the longer commute" and "oh it has some things in common with my current job that I don't like" and I don't know if it's just my hosed up brain being overly skeptical or not. I know that an interview is as much about you determining if you want the role as it is the employer determining if they want you, but I feel like I'm ready to say no before even getting an offer or even talking to them in person.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

well, if you have specifics about how it could be like your old job, you should ask questions about that!

If you get an offer you can worry about the commute. I'd try it out a couple days if I thought it was going to be a real deal-breaker.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

well, if you have specifics about how it could be like your old job, you should ask questions about that!

If you get an offer you can worry about the commute. I'd try it out a couple days if I thought it was going to be a real deal-breaker.

Yeah I definitely have some questions prepared about their processes and company culture, the big question that I keep asking myself as I go in and out of this job hunt is "do I not like what I'm doing, or do not who I'm working for?" and I honestly go back and forth at times. The commute wouldn't be a huge departure from what I have now but I guess I've been spoiled to have incredibly short commutes for where I live and don't want to give that up, heh (10-15 minutes when I started, 20-25 when they moved my office, probably ~40ish if I end up at this new place). Should try to find someone tomorrow who commutes from my same area and ask them how it is.

VV I know, that's the lovely part.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 21, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

It's gonna be hard to figure out which one it is until you get a similar job somewhere else, to be honest.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Make sure you get a pay bump, as that can help paper over some problems.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

why is that so bad? get job, don't like it, leave - you will be looking at totally different kinds of jobs so if people ask about your resume you just tell them "Yeah when I left Job A, i wasn't sure if it was that role/company or the type of job - then when I got in to Job B, which was pretty similar, I realized that the type of job/industry just wasn't for me"

you're over thinking this bro

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

why is that so bad? get job, don't like it, leave - you will be looking at totally different kinds of jobs so if people ask about your resume you just tell them "Yeah when I left Job A, i wasn't sure if it was that role/company or the type of job - then when I got in to Job B, which was pretty similar, I realized that the type of job/industry just wasn't for me"

you're over thinking this bro

Maybe, but I just want a job that I enjoy and that pays a good sum of money for a long period of time why is that so haaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrddddd.

Interview went well enough, the hiring manager and I hit it off really well and I think my skills really complement her own, but I think they suspected that I'm not 100% sure that I want the job like I said. If nothing else, they want to make a decision in the next week or two so one way or another I'll know soon!

E: Also for the second interview in a row, I had someone talk about something specific on the second page of my resume. Make sure that second page is just as good as the first!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 22, 2018

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Is it normal to start thinking of all the reasons that you wouldn't want to go work for a given company in the lead-up to interviewing with them?

I personally do this anyways to avoid falling in love with whatever it is I’m going to negotiate with: jobs, Craigslist, etc.

Puts me in a better frame of mind about the reality instead of the newness.

Goobish
May 31, 2011

I just started reading this thread and didn't realize it was still active. So I'm applying for an internal posting, a promotion, but it is for a different department. I've been rabidly refreshing on resume and interviewing, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any good resources or advice for something like this? I'm not worried about an interview as much as I am about making a good resume. I have to convince them that my skills are effective for this different department.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Goobish posted:

I just started reading this thread and didn't realize it was still active. So I'm applying for an internal posting, a promotion, but it is for a different department. I've been rabidly refreshing on resume and interviewing, but I'm wondering if anyone here has any good resources or advice for something like this? I'm not worried about an interview as much as I am about making a good resume. I have to convince them that my skills are effective for this different department.

Do they know you in this other department? I feel like every internal "interview" I've ever been apart of has been mostly a decided thing by the time an interview starts. If they don't know you then I guess same interview advice applies. I suspect your resume won't matter much, you already have your foot in the door.

Have good questions ready, interviewers like to talk about themselves. Be ready to talk about specific accomplishments, not just skills. If you have things to show, even better. If you can tie things you've done to dollars, that's the best. If you know anyone in that department, grill them. Find out their yearly goals or whatever is the latest buzzword and tie yourself to that.

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
At my employer, the resume does is filter out the first wave so it remains important to internals.

Make sure you use as many words, qualifications, and examples that match the job posting to get through an automated system. It’s really no different than an external posting, you just now have the benefit of your boss reaching out to the hiring manager to put in a good word.

Xeom
Mar 16, 2007
Is this still the place to post a resume for critique?

Goobish
May 31, 2011

They do know me in this other department. Since this is internal, should I still use a cover letter? Seems redundant maybe?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Goobish posted:

They do know me in this other department. Since this is internal, should I still use a cover letter? Seems redundant maybe?

I still would, but don't stretch too much in there. Maybe have it focus on why you want the position and why you think you are a fit. For what it's worth 80% if the decision is likely already made one way or another, so try to relax and just present your best self forward.

Xeom posted:

Is this still the place to post a resume for critique?

Go nuts, I think a couple of us will look at it and give some feedback.

Nirvikalpa
Aug 20, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Could someone read my resume for the Peace Corps? I would like to send it to a recruiter soon. It is a bit long, but Peace Corps resumes are supposed to be over one page. I would like to present the idea that I am interested in the environment and community service. Also that I am chill with meeting different kinds of people. I would love to expand on this somehow in my resume if it's possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoixy9fkofl0r69/resume%20peace%20corps%20censored.pdf?dl=0

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Nirvikalpa posted:

Could someone read my resume for the Peace Corps? I would like to send it to a recruiter soon. It is a bit long, but Peace Corps resumes are supposed to be over one page. I would like to present the idea that I am interested in the environment and community service. Also that I am chill with meeting different kinds of people. I would love to expand on this somehow in my resume if it's possible.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/aoixy9fkofl0r69/resume%20peace%20corps%20censored.pdf?dl=0

Looks pretty good to me. I would maybe highlight your overseas & volunteer experience in your profile. Do you have any specific skills you think the Peace Corps will want to know about? If so I'd call that out too.

Otherwise, nothing jumps out at me at missing.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I got an email back from the HR person after doing an email screen for a job. She said that the position isn't really needed anymore, that she's going on Mat Leave, and she gave me two email addresses from the technical team to apply directly to if another position opens up in the coming months.

Should I do anything now (aside from the typical thank the HR person kind of thing) and just set up a job alert, and wait, or should I reach out at all? :ohdear:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jyrraeth posted:

I got an email back from the HR person after doing an email screen for a job. She said that the position isn't really needed anymore, that she's going on Mat Leave, and she gave me two email addresses from the technical team to apply directly to if another position opens up in the coming months.

Should I do anything now (aside from the typical thank the HR person kind of thing) and just set up a job alert, and wait, or should I reach out at all? :ohdear:

Send out an intro letter to those people and say you will keep your eyes open if anything comes up. Very slim chance it'll result in anything, but no one will hold it against you if you send 1 email.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Lockback posted:

Send out an intro letter to those people and say you will keep your eyes open if anything comes up. Very slim chance it'll result in anything, but no one will hold it against you if you send 1 email.

Yeah, agree with this, although honestly I'm reading between the lines of that email that the HR person is trying to tell you, as delicately as possible, " psssst, you don't really want to work here." Maybe I'm over-reading that, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
If a recruiter has called you once or twice a year for a couple years about a given role at a given company, and then talks about how he's placed six people at that company (presumably all in the same/related roles, though I'm not 100% sure on that), does that make you think rapid company expansion or rapid turnover in that role/department? Got an interview tomorrow for just that and the fact that the recruiter has gone silent since scheduling the interview tells me that he's either supremely confident in my application or he just wants to bring as many people in to interview at this place as he can, and obviously one of those possibilities is better than the other.