Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

i got an email from newegg and got excited that it was my shipping notification, but it was just to tell me that they leaked my credit card number

welp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Cygni posted:

i got an email from newegg and got excited that it was my shipping notification, but it was just to tell me that they leaked my credit card number

welp

:same:

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Newegg has been taking PayPal for years and even adds in less popular alternatives like MasterPass and Visa Checkout. They’re about the only site I’ve seen except maybe Best Buy that adopted Apple Pay For The Web inside Safari.

Reduce the number of parties with access to your number and by extension you’ll have fewer headaches.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I asked in the GN live stream right now if anybody else was delayed and everybody who responded got the same message, including someone who preordered while Jensen was still talking

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Can confirm, ordered during presentation, got delay email.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
Got my e-mail stating a delay as well, but I was in the second batch of pre-orders set for the 25th.

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

DLSS results are disappointing compared to TAA but I might be fine with that because I loving hate working with TAA.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

repiv posted:

> tests doom to see how turing performs under vulkan
> makes a point of using smaa instead of tssaa

But TSSAA is the only anti-aliasing mode that uses async compute :thunk:

And who the gently caress tests Rise of the TR with purehair *off*? It's not Witcher 3 you dummies

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
can confirm, am playing through SoTR right now, hair looks like epic crap without it, and I can't detect a noticable FPS hit.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

There's a sale nearby at an electronics store, 19% off everything including the new GPUs. And you can order online.

I'm on a 970. I need a new GPU for VR. Don't really want a 1080Ti because of the power consumption and heat, and likely doesn't fit in my small case anyway. I was eyeing a 2070 but the discount is tempting.

Hold on for the 2070, or grab the 2080 at a discount? If so, which brand?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Gamer's Nexus is doing live overclock testing using Time Spy with an EVGA XC2 2080 Ti. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSwJROXeEo

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Gamer's Nexus is doing live overclock testing using Time Spy with an EVGA XC2 2080 Ti. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgSwJROXeEo

THANK YOU

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Welp was going to replace a 1080 with a seized fan but this generation is underwhelming enough that I'll pass. I can't find any specific resources online but does anybody know how to remove the shroud from a Zotac Amp (non extreme?)

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Lord Stimperor posted:

There's a sale nearby at an electronics store, 19% off everything including the new GPUs. And you can order online.

I'm on a 970. I need a new GPU for VR. Don't really want a 1080Ti because of the power consumption and heat, and likely doesn't fit in my small case anyway. I was eyeing a 2070 but the discount is tempting.

Hold on for the 2070, or grab the 2080 at a discount? If so, which brand?

If it's actually 19% off normal price for a 2080 that's a pretty good deal. Even if a better deal comes along soon, with that steep of a discount you should be able to turn the 2080 around at no loss. That said, no way it's actually 19% off the real price for a 2080, make sure you comparison shop.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a pain, the heatsink has to come off then the shroud can be removed. (Then install some 120mm fans and have way less noise :getin:)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Arzachel posted:

That's been true since forever. 1070 was a worse deal than 980ti, Pitcairn was slightly more expensive than Cayman etc.

No? 1070 MSRP was 350? 400? 980Ti stores hit at $650-700 IIRC.

I definitely do not remember there being a regression in price/perf before.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Truga posted:

Yea I’m not sure how what they are talking about. Maxwell and pascal were both price/performance improvements.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Truga posted:

To be fair, this is a pretty obvious decision by the board partners to clear out stock (and probably gouge a bit on pent up demand). At Nvidia's MSRPs, price/performance increased ever so slightly.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

:laffo: that my RX 480 is still a better deal than every single card Nvidia has.

I stacked a fuckton of coupons at launch for the RX 480:

Paid $128 total, on top of those discounts I got 20% off from a credit card promo and 5% cashback, and it had 8GB of ram after a BIOS flash even though I paid for 4GB. By far the best value I've ever gotten for a new GPU.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Again, if you could pick up a 1080 Ti for like $400 then by all means it would be a great deal but when you're already spending $600 on a card you should really think seriously about dropping the extra $100

You can absolutely pick up dual fan 1080ti's on eBay for $500 now. I don't know where this $700 for RTX 2080 figure is coming from, the FE's are $800 and so are EVGA's cheapest models, so the de facto price seems to be $800.

codo27 posted:

I mean if you have the cash...is there anything out there that can really bring a 1080ti to its knees at 1440? I'm doing fine with 2 970s but starting to have to turn a couple of things down a bit and its pissing me off.

It is a very lovely game, but yes: Mass Effect Andromeda. Never underestimate how much bad optimization can gently caress with a GPU.

Hilariously, the 2080ti by NVidia's official numbers can't run ME:A at a solid 60FPS. Since it's obviously never getting a DLSS upgrade, it might go down as one of the only games I've seen that no card within 2 generations of it can run at the prevailing resolutions.

ufarn posted:

Candyland dropped a great DLSS vs TAA showcase:

It really is a killer feature that Nvidia didn't bother to promote more.

It definitely smears stuff in some of those shots. In motion it does seem hard to notice. However there's sustained shots in that video where it's the same or even a frame or two slower than TAA, so while much faster on average, it's not exactly consistent. I would like to see a comparison video like that, but showing DLSS, TAA, and no aliasing at all, so I can see how accurate they're both getting to the reference material.

Stickman posted:

The 2080 Ti has ~50% more activated cores on the die, so it runs at a slower clock for thermal stability. The 1080 Ti vs 1080 is similar: 40% more active cores with a 10% slower boost clock.

Does that mean you could slap it on water and be pretty much guaranteed to get that 9% difference in speed back as a stable overclock?

Paul MaudDib posted:

Also can we please stop using GTA:V as a benchmark now, that engine is all kinds of hosed up and everything can run it at a million fps, we don't need to be benchmarking it in TYOOL 2018.

Take a hike, I go straight to the GTAV benchmarks before anything else. The 3rd most purchased game of all time, one of the most accomplished engines ever, still looks great today, and people still play the game and play mods for it. I suppose you want everyone benchmarking more Ashes of the Singularity type stuff that no one ever bothered to play in the first place?

LRADIKAL posted:

With the exception of PUBG and Monster Hunter (and kind of GTA), there's not anything on here that requires a very high performance graphics card.

Looks like someone hasn't partied up in Path of Exile.

Lord Stimperor posted:

So which fuckin' store then? Of course it's gotta be the guy with the Stimpire avatar to cocktease the thread.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 20, 2018

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Stickman posted:

Sadly, he didn't review DLSS on either card.

Because he really can't.
Atm it only runs on the laughing stock that is the FF15 demo, or the other demo with the helmet where it's limited to ugly mode.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

sauer kraut posted:

Because he really can't.
Atm it only runs on the laughing stock that is the FF15 demo, or the other demo with the helmet where it's limited to ugly mode.

Wait, so even Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't have DLSS support ready for reviews? :psyduck: Is it just a driver/update thing?

Stickman fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 20, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Zero VGS posted:

You can absolutely pick up daal fan 1080ti's on eBay for $500 now. I don't know where this $700 for RTX 2080 figure is coming from, the FE's are $800 and so are EVGA's cheapest models, so the de facto price seems to be $800.

There is a Zotac on Newegg for $750 on preorder right now. A bunch of others were previously $750 on preorder too, including the EVGA XC and 3-fan coolers from MSI and Gigabyte. Whats left has some mild gouging.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

Zero VGS posted:

and it had 8GB of ram after a BIOS flash even though I paid for 4GB. By far the best value I've ever gotten for a new GPU.

Do they actually install 8GB and bios lock it to only use 4? That seems like a waste of money in hardware on their part.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's cheaper to run one production line than two. When The 480s first came out basically all of them unlocked to 8GB, it wasn't even a binning thing, they just wanted market segmentation. The extra memory probably cost a few dollars (this was before the memory shortages) and a new line could be dozens per card.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

It definitely smears stuff in some of those shots. In motion it does seem hard to notice. However there's sustained shots in that video where it's the same or even a frame or two slower than TAA, so while much faster on average, it's not exactly consistent. I would like to see a comparison video like that, but showing DLSS, TAA, and no aliasing at all, so I can see how accurate they're both getting to the reference material.
I think the fair way to compare DLSS to TAA would be to take the speed difference into account and compare DLSS with TAA at whatever resolution gives similar framerates, preferably with something like UE4's temporal upscaling.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Stickman posted:

Wait, so even Shadow of the Tomb Raider doesn't have DLSS support ready for reviews? :psyduck: Is it just a driver/update thing?

It should be available with the RTX patch, which needs the Windows10/DX12 platform update first.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

DonkeyHotay posted:

Welp was going to replace a 1080 with a seized fan but this generation is underwhelming enough that I'll pass. I can't find any specific resources online but does anybody know how to remove the shroud from a Zotac Amp (non extreme?)

YouTube model teardown

If in doubt YouTube, anything at all there is a video showing you how to do it.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Stanley Pain posted:

No it doesn't. A 1080Ti is not what I would recommend if you want 4K gaming @ max settings @ 60FPS(I know you said almost max settings, but that's a subjective measure). A 1080Ti also struggles with a lot of min frame times @ 4K.

Except most 4k monitors (not TVs) are pixel dense enough that turning up to max settings is literally a massive waste.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Seamonster posted:

Except most 4k monitors (not TVs) are pixel dense enough that turning up to max settings is literally a massive waste.

Yeah max settings, in terms of actual visual improvement that your eyes/brain can see/perceive, is usually a waste in terms of fps/power cost vs just running at moderate IQ settings even at 1440p. There are some exceptions but they're exceptions that prove the rule generally.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

1gnoirents posted:

I cant have a video card for more than a year otherwise it gets old

gently caress that made me sadder than i thought it would

I should mention again I pre ordered within 1 hour when you could so this is probably bad news for a lot of people, though I suppose not unexpected

I never got one of these emails and I ordered a few hours late

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
Shouldn't there be an updated Nvidia roadmap by now.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe

Zero VGS posted:

Looks like someone hasn't partied up in Path of Exile.

I played that game like for 10 minutes 8 years ago, but isn't it a Diablo like? Wouldn't chugging be in the form of CPU performance?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LRADIKAL posted:

I played that game like for 10 minutes 8 years ago, but isn't it a Diablo like? Wouldn't chugging be in the form of CPU performance?

It is, yeah. My 1070 crushes it real easy, so I have no idea what he’s talking about. Helps the game has a claustrophobic viewport the size of a postage stamp.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Paul MaudDib posted:

2080/1080 Ti doesn't quite max out a 144 Hz monitor at 1440p at max settings, but you should be able to get real close on high. With DLSS, it should be able to do ultra.

Let's say ~120 fps in modern-ish titles.

drat, so 100 fps (well, 98 frame limited to avoid tearing) on 3440 x 1440 on maxed settings may still be a pipe dream?

Looks like I am either going to step down to medium quality on my trusty old 970 or branch out to my PS4 more until prices come down or the 7mm refresh hits.

The only twitchy game I am playing right now is Overwatch and it hits 98 reliably on med to mostly high.
Not paying 1k to upgrade for some nicer reflections and shadows and Gsync puts in a lot of work on other, more demanding titles anyway.

Bummer.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Truga posted:

You couldn't get a 1070 anywhere near the MSRP for a long time while discounts on the 980ti pushed it pretty close to 300 bucks.

LRADIKAL posted:

A full 6 man party in a single zone will poo poo out enormous amounts of particle effects but it's CPU bottlenecked for the most part, I think.

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Arivia posted:

It is, yeah. My 1070 crushes it real easy, so I have no idea what he’s talking about. Helps the game has a claustrophobic viewport the size of a postage stamp.

Turn your graphics settings back up. GGG have reset them periodically and regularly update the graphics. With settings at max it makes my 1080ti struggle at 1440/144, even solo. No idea what you're talking about with the viewport - it takes up the entire screen. If you mean the zoom level, it reflects the area monster AI is active. With an ultra wide you can see enemies standing around with AI disabled at the edges. It's irrelevant to graphic performance.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
My great hope for this generation is the 2070. I'm on a 1440p/144hz gsync-monitor and a 970, so i'm starting to have to run settings pretty low to hit 90+. Don't really care about ultra or being steady at 144, just want it to look good and feel smooth, so high-ish and around 100 is fine, depending on how much lower the minimums are than the average.

Best would be if either 1. The 2070 is great perf/$ or 2. the 1080 (/ti) ends up real cheap soon. Here's hoping.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

..btt posted:

Turn your graphics settings back up. GGG have reset them periodically and regularly update the graphics. With settings at max it makes my 1080ti struggle at 1440/144, even solo. No idea what you're talking about with the viewport - it takes up the entire screen. If you mean the zoom level, it reflects the area monster AI is active. With an ultra wide you can see enemies standing around with AI disabled at the edges. It's irrelevant to graphic performance.

Like he said, on high to max settings it will beat on a 1080ti if you have flash effects and/or multiple party members. If you get really spammy you can put other people into potatovision and crash their game.

Edit: This is a bug that allows the person to fire off way more skills than normally possible but it gives you an idea of how bad it can get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngej_CAx2OM

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Sep 20, 2018

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Phosphine posted:

My great hope for this generation is the 2070. I'm on a 1440p/144hz gsync-monitor and a 970, so i'm starting to have to run settings pretty low to hit 90+. Don't really care about ultra or being steady at 144, just want it to look good and feel smooth, so high-ish and around 100 is fine, depending on how much lower the minimums are than the average.

Best would be if either 1. The 2070 is great perf/$ or 2. the 1080 (/ti) ends up real cheap soon. Here's hoping.

Based on the 2080 and 2080ti benchmarks, the 2070 looks like it will be a slightly faster 1080 + RTX hardware for $550-$600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

DigitalFoundry posted their DLSS analysis. There's not much new info but they determined these two demos use a 1440p internal resolution upscaled to 4K, and subjectively they think the image quality is good in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbgvXde-YA