Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Did they imply that the missionaria protectiva had been embedded in the tleilaxu as well? Is that even possible if there are no women in their culture/race? Granted, the BG use men as agents but it does seem a bit of a stretch. Even a normal male would seem to stand out as they are presented as essentially a divergent species when they actually make FaceTime.

Among the nigh-endless parade of absurd prequel goofiness was two dwarf tleilaxu disguising themselves one on top of the other under a large cloak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
If memory serves the Tleilax aren't even really male. They deliberately picked "tiny dudes that look kind of pathetic" to make people underestimate them. They're so good at biotech that they can be whatever they want.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ratatozsk posted:

Did they imply that the missionaria protectiva had been embedded in the tleilaxu as well? Is that even possible if there are no women in their culture/race? Granted, the BG use men as agents but it does seem a bit of a stretch. Even a normal male would seem to stand out as they are presented as essentially a divergent species when they actually make FaceTime.

Among the nigh-endless parade of absurd prequel goofiness was two dwarf tleilaxu disguising themselves one on top of the other under a large cloak.

I don't think they implied that at all. The BG just recognized the signs of fanatical devotion to their esoteric religion and used that as a way to exploit their captive Masheikh. The Tleilaxu were essentially extinct and after tens of thousands of years of secrecy the BG finally had unfettered access to one who knows things.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If memory serves the Tleilax aren't even really male. They deliberately picked "tiny dudes that look kind of pathetic" to make people underestimate them. They're so good at biotech that they can be whatever they want.

The ruling caste is. The rest are sterile, except for the tanks. The existence of the tanks implies that they were never quite THAT good and let nature run its course where necessary.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Sep 16, 2018

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

dis astranagant posted:

The ruling caste is. The rest are sterile, except for the tanks. The existence of the tanks implies that they were never quite THAT good and let nature run its course where necessary.

I read that more as practicality and a focus on biotech. The organs that make more humans already exist so why bother reinventing the wheel? Let's just make a few improvements...

Ignoring that, you know, those organs were attached to people who might not want to be giant tanks who exist only to make stuff for a bunch of freaking weirdos.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
The tanks are a metaphor for ethics in video game journalism

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Doesn't Heretics also show Odrade trick them into revealing that they believe some kind of weird Zensufi islamobuddhism or did I make that up?

I only remember two things from Heretics:

1. Miles Teg is introduced as some sort of ultimate badass but the story just forgets about him and nothing really comes of it.

2. Duncan ghola fucks this Honored Matre who tries to kill him with pussy muscle magic that can make men die of pleasure, except Duncan is the product of a breeding scheme to counteract unstoppable secret pussy muscle techniques and he turns the tables on her and pretty much enslaves her with his :flaccid: and then they get married or fall in love et al. I dunno, it was pretty hot when I was 13, and I must've read that 2-page scene like 30 or 40 times so I guess I should feel embarrassed or something.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Sep 16, 2018

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Ratatozsk posted:

Can't blame the prequels for that one. It happens in Heretics.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Edison was a dick posted:

What? I don't remember that.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Edison was a dick posted:

They were trying to sneak into that Honored Matre strip club.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Dune is sounding like a sitcom.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It definitely gets that way after Messiah, not that the original book is exactly devoid of loudly voiced evil plots and grandstanding.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A picture of the Friends opening sequence except it says FREMEN and the couch is surrounded by sand

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax
So no one told you that your name's a killing word
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib Muad'Dib Muad'Dib

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...
Replace traipsing in the fountain with ecstatically feeding the cast of TGIF in a deathstill.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Poon...

We can't stop here Duncan this is Harkonen country!

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Free Market Mambo posted:

So no one told you that your name's a killing word
Muad'Dib Muad'Dib Muad'Dib Muad'Dib

Bill Murray Harkonen dude posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVIKr0W0g1s

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I watched the movie, it was pretty cool but I kinda feel like it would be utterly impossible to appreciate it without having read the book.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

ChairMaster posted:

I watched the movie, it was pretty cool but I kinda feel like it would be utterly impossible to appreciate it without having read the book.

Actually you'd appreciate the movie less if you'd read the book because the movie is rather terrible, if properly psychedelic and weird.

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
I watched the movie without having any idea what Dune was and loved it.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

thatfatkid posted:

I watched the movie without having any idea what Dune was and loved it.

Yuck

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
From the pyf meme thread

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

A goddamn masterpiece.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Wow I ended up reading that in my head.like hieroglyphics...the sleeper awakens!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

That emoji tweet is the only proper justification for the existence of emojis or tweets.

That emoji tweet just folded spacetime.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

That emoji tweet is the only proper justification for the existence of emojis or tweets.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Tell me about the emojis of your home world, Kyle.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
My emoji is a killing word.

🐁

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
I always found it odd how whatever mentat school/s there are don't seem to be relevant political entities compared to the various other transhuman training facilities.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

? The art of training mentats is mostly only preserved through the bene gesserit under Leto II, this implies they had their hand in it from the get go, otherwise even under the emerging chaos implied after the ascent of Leto II, they'd probably not recover the concepts in time.

The implication from God Emperor onwards, until retcons from @duneauthor, is that the Mentat stuff was more or less a bene gesserit side project, maybe even before leto II, and also a Tleilaxu project for twisted mentats.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Liquid Dinosaur posted:

I always found it odd how whatever mentat school/s there are don't seem to be relevant political entities compared to the various other transhuman training facilities.

Yeah it is a bit, given the extent of their developed capabilities, but Mohiam says flat out in the beginning of Dune that the two most prominent groups to emerge from the Jihad were the Guild and the BG. No mention of the Mentats, Sardaukar, Tleilaxu, Ixians, or any of the other groups mentioned throughout that have their own set of superhuman-level skills.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Yeah it is a bit, given the extent of their developed capabilities, but Mohiam says flat out in the beginning of Dune that the two most prominent groups to emerge from the Jihad were the Guild and the BG. No mention of the Mentats, Sardaukar, Tleilaxu, Ixians, or any of the other groups mentioned throughout that have their own set of superhuman-level skills.

Sounds to me then like the Guild and BG came first, with all the other groups coming post-Jihad.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Mentats are not part of any one group. Being a mentat is a designation, not an obligation.

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry
I agree, though, as a kid reading that book, it did sound weird to me that the only two major schools' focuses were the Guild's "almost pure mathematics" and the BG's "politics." Like, really, those are the only two niches that superhuman training schools can have?

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

You got your STEM and your liberal arts. What more do you want? Jeez.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

I kind of assumed that either the Guild trained mentats, or just everyone had schools.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the bg and tleilaxu both have schools in the original dune, and it seems by Heretics that the BG more or less has a monopoly on that stuff, the guild is basically sidelined by the broken monopoly on space travel and the BG have consolidated power to such an extent that they can basically go where they please leading up to the arrival of the honored matres.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

She tricked Scytale into thinking the BG believed it, too.

i kept waiting for some double or triple trickery there but apparently the tleilaxu are just disappointingly easy to dupe

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

BG have figurative pussy power up until the point where the HM up the ante with literal pussy power

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

the bg/hm fight is a commentary on first and second wave feminism, and furthermore :words: