Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Ringworlds look sweet af so I'm glad they're in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

They are neat but it would be nice to have some more middle ground projects. Space Empires 4 had the Artificial Stellar Moon where you just build a artificial planet-base-thing (fairly) close to a star so it can get all its energy from the star easily while being a fleet-spawning hellforge, although with some other intermediate steps between normal spaceship/habitat stuff and ringworlds/sphereworlds.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Ringworlds are sort of out of scale given the timeframes, but I'm still a fan. Megastructures create a visual and mechanical distinction of kind between the stuff you were doing before and the stuff you can do at endgame.

Habitats have always been the fly in the ointment though since they were pretty much just as good as the actual megastructures at everything.

wiegieman posted:

The pyramids were basically the oldest public works project, they were in part a way to employ farmers in the off season.

A little backwards. The Egyptians had a strong public works bureaucracy to manage the Nile with dikes & canals, levying farmers as necessary. The pyramid-builders leveraged the labor and skilled engineers this created to build the Pyramids.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 19, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Yeah and they represent a much smaller resource investment than building the pyramids did for Egyptians 3000 years ago. It's not as if most of the able bodied citizens of Romania worked on the palace for 50 years or that the Three Gorges Dam was the focus of the united states for decades.
It would be weird if the US spent decades building a dam in China, yes.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't understand why you care that they're unnecessary.

All the really good histories, fiction, etc. are about struggle. A story about a post-scarcity civilization's hobby of building giant dickbutt monuments everywhere while they wait for the heat death of the universe to obliterate time itself just doesn't grab me.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Baronjutter posted:

I think ringworlds were obviously added in because it's a scifi trope, but I think they super do not fit the scale of the game. It's like we're playing some village management game where you can build farmhouses, huts, tool sheds, and then suddenly a 2,000 story hive world. There's some serious "missing middle" content between building some cities on a planet, building some little orbital habitats, and then building a ringworld or dyson sphere.

I know people think ringworlds are cool as a conception, but I'd really have rather they made some other more reasonably scaled mega-structures that better fit the progression and scope of the game. Maybe more of a halo-style ring world that acts more like a huge habitat. But that brings up questions like why there's any limit on habitats in the first place, space is huge, why can't I build 10 in one system, or 50? Or 1000? The game's mechanics need to place limits on things to push you towards certain gameplay, it will always choose that over some idea of "realism"

SC2000 went from early industry to Arcolgies. Of course, SC3000 and Simcity 4 scaled themselves back somewhat from those heady heights.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nevets posted:

All the really good histories, fiction, etc. are about struggle. A story about a post-scarcity civilization's hobby of building giant dickbutt monuments everywhere while they wait for the heat death of the universe to obliterate time itself just doesn't grab me.

I don't know, an existentialist tale about how a hyper-advanced race could only achieve authenticity within utopia through the creation of ultimately pointless engineering projects could be quite entertaining.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I don't understand why you care that they're unnecessary. What kind of discussion can follow from that other than "Yes there are scenarios where they could be necessary" / "no there aren't" as we're seeing here.

Are you on the galactic zoning council that approves ringworld permits and you just want everyone to know that from now on, new permit applications will be denied as ringworlds have been found to be unnecessary?

Because I've already built my federally approved 1 :smugdog:

I'm the president of the board of concerned galactic property owners and we feel that the ringworld would significantly negatively affect the quality of our local cluster.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nevets posted:

Finding a past civilisation's giant dickbutt monuments though, now that's a story.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Ringworlds are sort of out of scale given the timeframes, but I'm still a fan. Megastructures create a visual and mechanical distinction of kind between the stuff you were doing before and the stuff you can do at endgame.

Habitats have always been the fly in the ointment though since they were pretty much just as good as the actual megastructures at everything.
My problem with megastructures is that the building process is kind of... dull. You save up, dump in the minerals, repeat a few times, done. The construction process should feel like the focus of your entire civilisation, with a meaningful and obvious impact on your day to day operations.

Habitats should be less good by default, but gain significant benefits for building them in the "right" places (like with Guilli's orbital modifiers). So yes you can just dump them everywhere, but being smart about it will net you significantly better returns (and they'd be better balanced because if you go HAM on habitats and manage to fill up all the good slots you'll start hitting significantly reduced returns).

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Habitats being resource sinks is going to be a fantastic change. No more building a habitat and filling it with nothing but power or mines and getting way way better returns than actual mega-projects.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1042490479638728704

New civic and trait, I think. Might just be forgetting.

I wonder if Life Seeded as-is would be better or worse under the new system. Starting on such an amazing planet seems better under the new rules, but Wiz thought that one-planet challenges would be worse off. That’s not really what that is of course but it makes me think a species that can’t as easily expand might be worse off.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I thought life-seeded put you on a gaia world with gaia prefs.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Bremen posted:

The centrifugal force of Earth's orbital velocity is exactly canceling out the gravitational pull of the sun, which is why the Earth itself doesn't fly off into deep space. So if a Ringworld were doing it it would be exactly zero-g (other than gravity from the ring itself), with the rotation and sun's gravity countering each other out.

Right, yeah. My comment about jumping into the night sky was based on the notion that, if you were holding onto the outside of a 1 AU ringworld revolving fast enough to generate Earth-normal gravity inside, it'd feel like hanging from a pull-up bar and if you let go you'd fall/fly away. It didn't really occur to me to account for the Sun or consider everything as a balanced system.

Speaking of ringworlds! Does anybody else use Ringworlder or the Niven Ringworld mods? (The latter is for tile fetishists and I look forward to seeing what it becomes in 2.2.)

fake edit:

DrSunshine posted:

I'm the president of the board of concerned galactic property owners and we feel that the ringworld would significantly negatively affect the quality of our local cluster.
You get a diplomatic event like that when building a Dyson Sphere. Apparently you chose a key star in one of your neighbor's favorite constellations, and they can't bear the thought of future generations not knowing the same night sky as their ancestors just because those fuckers over there build a shell around it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

I thought life-seeded put you on a gaia world with gaia prefs.

It does. It overrides your preference entirely, but that never gets shown on your start screen.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The backstory for the OG Ringworld is that it was built by people with immense patience and lifespans and no FTL drives. Stellaris has a similar limited effect if we assume that the hyperlane network doesn't connect every star but only some fraction. (You would get the question of 'why not use those as trailheads and at least exploit local stars through robot miners' but shut up that's why)

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
If anything I expect Life Seeded is getting quite a buff under the new system.

Unlike the one planet challenge, in which you impose the limitation yourself, Life Seeded races are stuck on one planet until they find another gaia world or get access to another species/droids that can colonize for them. Under the current system your 25 tile planet is like a time limit for finding another empire to open a migration treaty with before it fills up. Or you need to get lucky and find a primitive civilization to uplift or invade. Since planets will no longer become 'full' they'll have a better chance of attracting others they can use to expand. All they need is one other pop and then they should be golden.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'd still love to see more moo2 style startup point picks for things like rich homeworld, poor homeworld, small, large, ancient artifacts and so on.
Like have all sorts of cool bonuses and penalties to customize your starting world/system/situation. Everyone having more or less the exact same home world is boring.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Baronjutter posted:

I'd still love to see more moo2 style startup point picks for things like rich homeworld, poor homeworld, small, large, ancient artifacts and so on.
Like have all sorts of cool bonuses and penalties to customize your starting world/system/situation. Everyone having more or less the exact same home world is boring.
I think those are somewhat stronger when you're in a small game where you might legit not have more than two or three planets. Stellaris, even on small galaxies with 0.0075x habitable worlds, doesn't really roll like that.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Splicer posted:

Finding a past civilisation's giant dickbutt monuments though, now that's a story.

What if your race ARE the ancient civilizations dickbutt monuement?

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

*Cave painting in Lascaux c. 10,000 BCE

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Noir89 posted:

What if your race ARE the ancient civilizations dickbutt monuement?
:aaaaa:

I was going to post a pertinent short sci-fi story from the 50s but then I reread it and there's a hell of a lot more weird eugenics stuff than I remembered.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

The backstory for the OG Ringworld is that it was built by people with immense patience and lifespans and no FTL drives. Stellaris has a similar limited effect if we assume that the hyperlane network doesn't connect every star but only some fraction. (You would get the question of 'why not use those as trailheads and at least exploit local stars through robot miners' but shut up that's why)

The other thing the stories pointed out is "If you can build a ring world you don't need one." Theoretically it's supposed to be a stepping stone to a dyson sphere.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

isn't it kind of the idiots version of a dyson sphere

you could just build a bunch of orbitals but no. you have to gently caress around with physics-breaking materials because you want a ring

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
It gives you a wide-open space to live in.

Dyson sphere has the same problem if you want to be able to walk around on the inner surface.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Nessus posted:

I think those are somewhat stronger when you're in a small game where you might legit not have more than two or three planets. Stellaris, even on small galaxies with 0.0075x habitable worlds, doesn't really roll like that.
I dont think the point is to be "stronger" or "weaker" its more about "adding character". One thing I find extremely boring about the game is that all planets are the same and a variable on a planet is really rare and either sucks or is nearly pointless. Why doesnt each world have at least one variable with the option for more? They are each just a number rather than "oh poo poo there are ancient artifacts there from that FE over there - lets: A.) Study them carefully B.) Take them apart and find out what they did and how they worked C.) Destroy them, the FE are assholes and we want nothing to do with them" and thus now you have a cool science hub.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

isn't it kind of the idiots version of a dyson sphere

you could just build a bunch of orbitals but no. you have to gently caress around with physics-breaking materials because you want a ring

Depends on why it was built. The theory behind a dyson sphere is that increasing energy demands eventually means that you have to harvest every last shred of energy your star barfs out; hence it being a sphere. An intermediate point could be a ring or a "shell of satellites around the system. The enclosed sphere is just a theoretical end result as it sucks up everything the star can give.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Megastructures being in the game is good even if they're impractical to build because you can have them pre-existing on the map. That means cool dynamic objectives for people to fight over. Being able to eventually build them yourself long after it stopped to be important is just a thing to satisfy people that want to build a megastructure.

But the important part is that they can be map-objects.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Ruined mega structures should be less rare but require special resources and maybe even precursor artifacts to restore. Even just partially restoring a ringworld with various maluses would still be a very cool and worthwhile goal if you can do it midgame.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I imagine if you have the ability to build a dyson sphere you probably have the technology to just harvest the star itself for materials and energy. Hell, make the dyson sphere out of siphoned matter from the star.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

It is kind of funny that long before you can build a Dyson sphere you develop the ability to produce & harness antimatter. Kinda makes building a giant cage around a slow fusion reaction seem obsolete. Unless the antimatter tech is just supposed to give you the ability to capture the very limited naturally existing antimatter for use in ship reactors.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
There's something to be said for not paying the upfront capital cost. The star's already there, you're just harvesting it.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Love my psychic robot overlord

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Immortal until some bullshit random event kills them like every other robot leader.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

double-immortal.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
I kind of stepped away from the game during my first run because I hit what I thought was a bug, but I want to make sure I'm not just missing something before I pick it up again.

I'm in a war to vassalize a species and I have all of their systems occupied and planets subjugated. However, they won't accept Achieve War Goals.

If I select Settle Status Quo, a new vassal empire is created, and one planetary system is returned to the original empire.

Is the outcome of SSQ working as intended, and if so, is there any way to nudge their acceptance higher and fully vassalize them via AWG?

Mygna
Sep 12, 2011

Lazyhound posted:

I kind of stepped away from the game during my first run because I hit what I thought was a bug, but I want to make sure I'm not just missing something before I pick it up again.

I'm in a war to vassalize a species and I have all of their systems occupied and planets subjugated. However, they won't accept Achieve War Goals.

If I select Settle Status Quo, a new vassal empire is created, and one planetary system is returned to the original empire.

Is the outcome of SSQ working as intended, and if so, is there any way to nudge their acceptance higher and fully vassalize them via AWG?

Seeing how the "Occupation" modifier is only sitting at 50%, I'd guess that you haven't occupied any systems belonging to their ally? I was tripped up by that myself when the ally in question was so tiny and insignificant that I literally forgot about them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Lazyhound posted:

SSQ is working as intended (ish). If you ssq a vassalisation it splits off all occupied systems into a vassal and leaves the rest as the original empire. Since you have all the planets, in order to keep the original empire existing it needs to give them one back.

Are you 100% sure you've got every system and planet? Are they part of a federation? If they and all their allies are fully occupied they should be forced to surrender.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Sep 20, 2018

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Psychotic Weasel posted:

How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Immortal until some bullshit random event kills them like every other robot leader.

rip the god emperor of man, fell down the stairs and died.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Sector and Faction revamp DD

I like this:

quote:

Instead of being autonomous mini-economies, sectors are now administrative units in your empire, with their layout decided by galactic geography, with each sector corresponding to a cluster of stars in the galaxy. Sectors are automatically created when you colonize a planet in a previously uncolonized cluster, and your 'core sector' is simply the cluster in which your capital is located. All interfaces that are relevant to sectors and planets (such as the outliner) are now organized by collapsible sector entries, allowing for better overview and management of a large number of planets. As before, each sector can have a governor assigned to it, but sectors now automatically send all of their production to the empire stockpile instead of having their own fully realized economy. However, since we still want players to be able to offload some of the planetary management when controlling a large number of worlds, it is still possible to allocate resources to a Governor, who will use those resources to develop the planets under their control. This of course means that there is no longer any core sector limit, and anything that previously used to give a bonus to core sector planets has either been changed into a different bonus or removed altogether.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Oh nice. That’s almost exactly what I’ve been advocating for sectors.