Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lazyhound posted:

A children’s book where a group of plucky underprivileged kids are trying to save their community centre, which was closed because a dead rat was found in the pool, AGAIN. To raise money to fumigate the building, their detective agency takes on a case from a rich lady whose cat is missing. I think the cat was also used to film cat food commercials? Ultimately, there was some kind of fraud going on, which they figured out because the photo of the cat they were given was mirrored. They only noticed this because the low-functioning autistic child, who they exploited as a human Rolodex, began repeating “DOOF TAC”, which he read in the background of the photo.

In the end, they make enough to hire an exterminator, but as they watch, something ignites the fumigation gas and blows up the building. They are left standing amidst the fiery debris.

:stare:

I think I want to know what book this is too now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyhound posted:

A children’s book where a group of plucky underprivileged kids are trying to save their community centre, which was closed because a dead rat was found in the pool, AGAIN. To raise money to fumigate the building, their detective agency takes on a case from a rich lady whose cat is missing. I think the cat was also used to film cat food commercials? Ultimately, there was some kind of fraud going on, which they figured out because the photo of the cat they were given was mirrored. They only noticed this because the low-functioning autistic child, who they exploited as a human Rolodex, began repeating “DOOF TAC”, which he read in the background of the photo.

In the end, they make enough to hire an exterminator, but as they watch, something ignites the fumigation gas and blows up the building. They are left standing amidst the fiery debris.

I am reasonably certain you have conflated Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo with an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I am reasonably certain you have conflated Breakin' 2: Electric Boogaloo with an episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

An unholy abomination whose time has finally come

Easy-Bake Coven
Sep 18, 2006

B - E - H - A - V - E
never more

Fun Shoe

Lazyhound posted:

My librarian sense tells me you are looking for this:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1034046.Mystery_of_the_Fat_Cat

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Lazyhound posted:

haha what the hell dude

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

That’s it, thanks!

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is an elaborate prank, I refuse to believe that book is real.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
post more

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
How did you get photographs so quickly after the book was identified? Do you have one of those weird bookstores in your town with an old man behind the counter and only like 30 books on the shelves, but somehow he always manages to find exactly what you’re looking for after he tricks you into turning around for a second?

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Sep 20, 2018

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Sep 20, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

these are the end times

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
“Eleven mallards. Only eleven over the legal limit.” :allears:

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Trying to find a sci-fi story, I think a short story by one of the old time science dudes like azimov or Clark, about AI spaceships that may have been cryoships or generation ships looking for habitable planets for humans to colonize but they never found any. It was kind of sad and mostly from the point of view of the spaceships talking to each other, I think. Ring any bells for anybody?

E I'm sure I read it online originally if that helps

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 21, 2018

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Fat Cat needs its own thread.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

It looks like there are at least four, probably five, Dogtown books. There will be a thread.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Trying to find a sci-fi story, I think a short story by one of the old time science dudes like azimov or Clark, about AI spaceships that may have been cryoships or generation ships looking for habitable planets for humans to colonize but they never found any. It was kind of sad and mostly from the point of view of the spaceships talking to each other, I think. Ring any bells for anybody?

E I'm sure I read it online originally if that helps

I'm sure similar premises can be found in lots of stories but this reminds me of Long Shot by Vernor Vinge. It's also kind of sad and deals with how the ship AI is deteriorating from millennia of space travel. In this story there was only one ship, though, and it's implied that the AI succeeds in its mission.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Collected_Stories_of_Vernor_Vinge#/Long_Shot

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I don't remember if this is a novel or short story, but I remember reading a piece of fiction about a boy who is bullied and occasionally sexually abused by other boys from his school. Now a man, he returns to his hometown and thinks about those experiences from his past and wants a reckoning, although he doesn't know how. The protagonist reunites with at least one of the men who had joined in on the abuse, who has grown into a normal, well-adjusted adult. When asked about his actions all those years ago, this man either doesn't recall the abuse or downplays it as normal childhood teasing. The protagonist is left with a feeling of deep dissatisfaction.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm trying to remember a possibly cyberpunkish book set in the future, female main character, maybe partially set in DC. One aspect of this future was a Vietnam-type war fought against Chinese robot soldiers in Tibet in this setting's past.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Also a story for kids or ya about a kids boarding school where they had secret cool tunnels to do stuff in, possibly the group of main characters called themselves "the worms"??

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I'm sure similar premises can be found in lots of stories but this reminds me of Long Shot by Vernor Vinge. It's also kind of sad and deals with how the ship AI is deteriorating from millennia of space travel. In this story there was only one ship, though, and it's implied that the AI succeeds in its mission.

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/The_Collected_Stories_of_Vernor_Vinge#/Long_Shot

i'll have to find and read it to be sure but that sounds like it, thankyou very much!

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I'm trying to remember a possibly cyberpunkish book set in the future, female main character, maybe partially set in DC. One aspect of this future was a Vietnam-type war fought against Chinese robot soldiers in Tibet in this setting's past.

The Rachel Peng books by K.B. Spangler? First one is Digital Divide.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I don't remember if this is a novel or short story, but I remember reading a piece of fiction about a boy who is bullied and occasionally sexually abused by other boys from his school. Now a man, he returns to his hometown and thinks about those experiences from his past and wants a reckoning, although he doesn't know how. The protagonist reunites with at least one of the men who had joined in on the abuse, who has grown into a normal, well-adjusted adult. When asked about his actions all those years ago, this man either doesn't recall the abuse or downplays it as normal childhood teasing. The protagonist is left with a feeling of deep dissatisfaction.

Possibly The Book of Joe by Jonathan Tropper?

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm trying to think of a book I read in elementary school. All I can remember is the main character's name is Rory, a new girl moves to town and he's jealous, and they bond over the Aurora Borealis. I think she also ate pizza by putting two slices together, topping side to topping side.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Leavemywife posted:

I'm trying to think of a book I read in elementary school. All I can remember is the main character's name is Rory, a new girl moves to town and he's jealous, and they bond over the Aurora Borealis. I think she also ate pizza by putting two slices together, topping side to topping side.

Did it involve steamed hams?

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Longshot but here goes. It's a sci-fi story, possibly published in the 70's or 80's? I don't recall much of the plot except that there's some kind of huge creature from whom steaks can be sliced off while it's alive and it lactates white wine; some rich lady was hosting a party and brought one of said creatures along for catering (it apparently painlessly regenerated the sliced-off flesh? I recall the wine was a chablis because at age 13 I didn't know what that was and had to go look it up.)

Also there are centaur-like aliens (possibly hermaphroditic?) who 'speak' via singing and there's like three genders; it takes like five adults to successfully birth one child as it keeps getting passed back and forth; there's reference to 'foremothers' and 'hindmothers'. Also I recall a passage very approximate to this one:

' "I'm horny," she sang, "wanna screw?"

'Horny' and 'screw' were not exact translations but they were as close to the concept as the human mind could come'

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Astrofig posted:

Also there are centaur-like aliens (possibly hermaphroditic?) who 'speak' via singing and there's like three genders; it takes like five adults to successfully birth one child as it keeps getting passed back and forth; there's reference to 'foremothers' and 'hindmothers'.

That's gotta be John Varley. One of Titan, Wizard, or Demon. Full trilogy around the centaurs.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Astrofig posted:

Longshot but here goes. It's a sci-fi story, possibly published in the 70's or 80's? I don't recall much of the plot except that there's some kind of huge creature from whom steaks can be sliced off while it's alive and it lactates white wine; some rich lady was hosting a party and brought one of said creatures along for catering (it apparently painlessly regenerated the sliced-off flesh? I recall the wine was a chablis because at age 13 I didn't know what that was and had to go look it up.)

Also there are centaur-like aliens (possibly hermaphroditic?) who 'speak' via singing and there's like three genders; it takes like five adults to successfully birth one child as it keeps getting passed back and forth; there's reference to 'foremothers' and 'hindmothers'. Also I recall a passage very approximate to this one:

' "I'm horny," she sang, "wanna screw?"

'Horny' and 'screw' were not exact translations but they were as close to the concept as the human mind could come'

Lol, yep John Varley I didn't recognize the first part with 'Some rich lady' so I searched John Varley Chablis and found...

quote:

It was sixty revs after the preliminary scout first discovered the site and found it good. The flacks and hypes were returning from their forays into the woods, laden with game. These were ape-like creatures: two of the few predatory species Gaea had ever produced. Gaea was not good at predators. A hype would have fared poorly in an African jungle. But in Gaea, most of the fauna were not good at flight, either, simply because they had no predators. The principal source of meat, the smilers, did not have to be stalked–they didn’t run–or even killed. Meat could be harvested from them in long strips, doing no harm to the smiler. Many a smiler steak was sizzling in the commissary building as the first great feast was prepared and laid out on long trestle tables with immaculate white cloths and big crystal jugs of chablis. A breathless quiet fell over the site as all awaited the arrival of Gaea. It was broken only by the excited meet, meet, meeeet of the bolexes as they jostled each other for position.

The ground began to tremble. She came through the woods. There was a reverent gasp from the assembled Priests as her head came into view over the treetops.

Gaea was fifteen meters tall. Or, as she preferred to have it, “fifty foot two, eyes of blue.”

Some rich lady indeed...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Didn't someone create a breakdown graph of all the different ways the centaurs and humans could have sex and make a baby? It was some insane pic with a lot of variations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Didn't someone create a breakdown graph of all the different ways the centaurs and humans could have sex and make a baby? It was some insane pic with a lot of variations.

It's straight from the book. Although no humans are involved; each Titanide (centaur) has three sets of genitalia, male and female, so they can reproduce in any way from self-fertilization to multi-parent combinations.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Leavemywife posted:

The Hot & Cold Summer by Johanna Hurwitz.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Action Jacktion posted:

The Hot & Cold Summer by Johanna Hurwitz.

Thank you. That's been driving me bonkers.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

A story about a boy whose mother is dying and for some reason he has to travel across America to the coast which is repeatedly referred to as “the place where the sea meets the sky”. He can sidestep into another dimension, and I think he was special because he doesn’t have an alternate self there. This means he steps into the equivalent place to where he is now, rather than to where his double is in the other dimension. This bit is really really confusing to me and I can’t work out how it worked, but I believe it was a major theme. I think a villain had a club foot in one or other dimension, because when the hero switched between the two he noticed tracks in the sand where the villain had been dragging his foot around.

If anyone knows what I’m on about and can tell me how the whole dimension hopping thing worked that would be great.

Edit: I think he eats a spliff so the police don’t find it on him and gets really ill. Might be a different book I’m thinking of.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Sep 25, 2018

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sanford posted:

A story about a boy who’s mother is dying and he has to travel across America to the coast which is repeatedly referred to as “the place where the sea meets the sky”. He can sidestep into another dimension, and I think he was special because he doesn’t have an alternate self there. This means he steps into the equivalent place to where he is now, rather than to where his double is in the other dimension. This bit is really really confusing to me and I can’t work out how it worked. I think a villain had a club foot in one or other dimension, because when the hero switched between he noticed tracks in the sand where this version had been dragging his foot around.

If anyone knows what I’m on about and can tell me how the whole dimension hopping thing worked that would be great.

Talisman by Stephen King

e:not sure about the dimension hopping, I know the alternate reality was somehow smaller so you travelled faster through it. Might’ve had something to do with the titular talisman.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

Talisman by Stephen King

Haha what the gently caress dude I hadn’t even finished posting

Edit: I just read the synopsis on wikipedia. Is it as bad as it sounds? I read it aged about 10 and remember being enthralled.

Sanford fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Sep 25, 2018

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Sanford posted:

Haha what the gently caress dude I hadn’t even finished posting

Edit: I just read the synopsis on wikipedia. Is it as bad as it sounds? I read it aged about 10 and remember being enthralled.

It’s a good book for a child to read. I might’ve been 14 at the most and it was a great read at the time. I don’t think it would really work for an adult.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It’s very good and I just reread it about a year ago, but I’m also a big King fan so I’m probably biased

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I’ve got an Audible credit and roadworks have currently blessed me with an hour each-way commute, so I’ll give it a go. Thanks!