Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

I'm probably 80 years behind on how I should probably already know this poo poo but thanks to tumblr now I finally get why people start setting cars on fire whenever anyone posts a joke from some corporation on here.

I grew up with my dad expressing this as a big peeve of his. Although being the late 70s/80s his thing was mostly in regard to branded t-shirts and ball caps. His argument was "why am I paying money to advertise for them?" He did concede enough to buy my brother and me team ball caps and jerseys.
But anything branded with stores/sodas/etc... not a chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It bugs me when people say “ads don’t work on me.” Cuz like twitter person says, it isn’t about making you immediately go out and buy x. Hell even the one guy says “memes don’t make me eat Wendy’s” in the same sentence he describes regularly going to Wendy’s.

There’s lovely ads, like popups, and ads not targetted at me, like tv commercials for 2019 pick ups, but yeah, I’m influenced by ads. So is everyone.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It bugs me when people say “ads don’t work on me.” Cuz like twitter person says, it isn’t about making you immediately go out and buy x. Hell even the one guy says “memes don’t make me eat Wendy’s” in the same sentence he describes regularly going to Wendy’s.

There’s lovely ads, like popups, and ads not targetted at me, like tv commercials for 2019 pick ups, but yeah, I’m influenced by ads. So is everyone.

I go out of my way to avoid ads entirely. I haven't watched broadcast TV in over a decade, I have ad block for everything online.
But drat there's an ad for KFC on a bus stop by the supermarket I go to. And the KFC is across the street from that bus stop. I wouldn't even notice the KFC, based on my route to the supermarket, without that ad. And it makes me want horrible greasy chicken for dinner instead of buying groceries.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Memes being co-opted by corporations is not something that should be seen as strange or unexpected. Within the context of our society there is nothing inherently rebellious or subversive about them, as a mode of cultural production they fit perfectly within Western late capitalism.
Which...I guess is what worries them, fair enough.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

pro tip: use an adblocker & buy whatever poo poo is the cheapest, always

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I don't know, sometimes the cheapest thing is a lovely knockoff so people want to go with brands they've heard of. But then they've probably heard of those brands because of the constant advertising.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Krankenstyle posted:

pro tip: use an adblocker & buy whatever poo poo is the cheapest, always

Pro-tip: this is often terrible advice

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Krankenstyle posted:

buy whatever poo poo is the cheapest, always

This is dumb as hell

I bought the cheapest dishwasher tablets and all my glasses came out spotty and gross looking
Cheap deodorant smells terrible
Really cheap clothes and shoes are almost always terrible quality and fall apart incredibly quickly
Buying really cheap electronics is a good way to burn your house down

If things are 100% identical, as is pretty much always the case with generic OTC medicine then yeah sure but the majority of the time buying the cheapest thing means you're getting an inferior product

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Randaconda posted:

Pro-tip: this is often terrible advice

I only buy cheap booze and cheap handguns, the one works too well and the other not at all, and so i post

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Advertisements don't bother me because I make my own clothes
I get my clothing supplies from Textileland

The Mighty Moltres has a new favorite as of 17:12 on Sep 19, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

You have to independent if price imo because high cost doesn’t indicate qual either

I’m v brain strong

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Well the idea isn’t to make everyone want your product so much as being at the forefront of the brain. If you’re hungry and there’s a Wendy’s down the street you never go to - if you see a commercial for Wendy’s or see someone linking some dumb twitter post by Wendy’s then suddenly you’re probably considering going there because you’re hungry. I just experienced that myself because I’m starving right now. I didn’t go to Wendy’s because I just don’t like it that much.

There are tons of aspects of advertising that affect you without realizing it, too. I’m sure someone else could enumerate on brand familiarity and the like. Most people just tell themselves that if it’s not some sort of Pavlovian response it’s not effective. “I see Wendy’s commercials and tweets all the time but I don’t go to Wendy’s all the time.”

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

EmmyOk posted:

You have to independent if price imo because high cost doesn’t indicate qual either

I’m v brain strong

:hmmyes:

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I just accepted the consumer identity years ago. I enjoy he fact that commercials have become micro shows with recurring characters. I have strong brand loyalties. I am exactly who these advertisers are targeting. But I am also self aware of this fact. I put all my hopes on you youngins. I may be lost, but there is still time for you.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
As Don says in Mad Men, advertising consists mostly of telling people that whatever they’re doing is ok. No need to worry. Everything is fine. This kind of advertising works on everyone, because it’s just reinforcing stuff you already believed anyway.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Quote-Unquote posted:

I go out of my way to avoid ads entirely. I haven't watched broadcast TV in over a decade, I have ad block for everything online.
But drat there's an ad for KFC on a bus stop by the supermarket I go to. And the KFC is across the street from that bus stop. I wouldn't even notice the KFC, based on my route to the supermarket, without that ad. And it makes me want horrible greasy chicken for dinner instead of buying groceries.

I solved this problem by eating at KFC several times, and now I would rather go without a meal than eat KFC. poo poo's gross.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

bamhand posted:

I don't know, sometimes the cheapest thing is a lovely knockoff so people want to go with brands they've heard of. But then they've probably heard of those brands because of the constant advertising.

Even then the brand usually has to back that up with something even if it’s just a consistent level of quality and not necessarily a high one.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Joss Whedon helped write Toy Story.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

John Lee posted:

I solved this problem by eating at KFC several times, and now I would rather go without a meal than eat KFC. poo poo's gross.

KFC near me has run out of chicken. How does that happen?

Edit: I was getting potato wedges. No chicken (obviously).

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Aleph Null posted:

I, too, have asked KFC employees: "How can you not have fried chicken? IT'S IN THE NAME!!!"

I settled for a chocolate Bundt cake and a large coleslaw.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
lol if you don't skip KFC and go to Popeye's

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

John Lee posted:

It's the UK. Your choices for fried chicken in most places is KFC or even worse garbage from places that will almost certainly give you salmonella.

Hot wings are nice, that's basically all I ever order.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's the UK. Your choices for fried chicken in most places is KFC or even worse garbage from places that will almost certainly give you salmonella.

Hot wings are nice, that's basically all I ever order.

Hey, look, STANISLAV'S BYG BЦCKETZ is a very reputable chicken restaurant, and I never once got listeria salmonella from eating there.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

Hey, look, STANISLAV'S BYG BЦCKETZ is a very reputable chicken restaurant, and I never once got listeria salmonella from eating there.

just lol if you're not getting the AMERICAN RECIPE from NEW TAXAS FRIED CHICKEN

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Aleph Null posted:

This happens to the one near my parents all the time. KFC franchises are universally run poorly. Unlike Popeyes which gives you the order you need even if it’s not what you asked for.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Henchman of Santa posted:

This happens to the one near my parents all the time. KFC franchises are universally run poorly. Unlike Popeyes which gives you the order you need even if it’s not what you asked for.

Can confirm this.
Popeye's not only tastes WAY better but they almost always throw in an extra side just because.

I'm not gonna order some red beans & rice because there is a 30% chance one will just show up.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Henchman of Santa posted:

We had Popeyes for the first time last week. I sent my husband to get a large-ish chicken tender combo and he came home with a 12-pc. box of mixed fried chicken.

We were pretty sure he hosed up the order, but your post got me thinking.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
For more reading on this subject:
https://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2017/1/4/14166686/popeyes-is-perfect-and-you-are-the-problem

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Last time I went to Popeye's, I ordered five chicken tenders, but they gave me eleven. It's a top-tier chain, because the chicken is good and, as mentioned, each chain has at least one smiling Southern Zen master on staff.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Aleph Null posted:

My co-worker spent a week researching if he had a "legal case" for "false advertising" because his favourite KFC by his house closed early because of running out of chicken. "The sign says they're open until 9 but it was only 7, that's false advertising, after banging on the door long enough someone came to the door and gave me some BS excuse about running out of chicken but I didn't believe them, they had closed early for no reason and that's illegal"

He then tried to get the staff in trouble by finding out who the manager was and contacting them and corporate to complain but they all assured him it was normal for them to close early if they run out of chicken, he then decided to try to go the legal route. I thought he was joking but for a good week I'd see him looking at websites for law firms and trying to research the laws on "false advertising" while constantly asking me to explain things to him.

Baronjutter has a new favorite as of 17:33 on Sep 21, 2018

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Baronjutter posted:

My co-worker spent a week researching if he had a "legal case" for "false advertising" because his favourite KFC by his house closed early because of running out of chicken. "The sign says they're open until 9 but it was only 7, that's false advertising, after banging on the door long enough someone came to the door and gave me some BS excuse about running out of chicken but I didn't believe them, they had closed early for no reason and that's illegal"

He then tried to get the staff in trouble by finding out who the manager was and contacting them and corporate to complain but they all assured him it was normal for them to close early if they run out of chicken, he then decided to try to go the legal route. I thought he was joking but for a good week I'd see him looking at websites for law firms and trying to research the laws on "false advertising" while constantly asking me to explain things to him.

Sometimes calling corporate gets you free gift cards when poo poo like that happens. We made a trip to Payless once because there was a sale or some poo poo and it was on the way home.

We get there and the doors are locked despite the doors and website saying they were open another hour. The people working just stared at me while I knocked on the door and I had to call them in order to figure out why the doors weren't open. Since I was feeling pissy that they couldn't be bothered to talk to me I called corporate who called them just to find out the hours changed and they hadn't bothered to tell anyone. Then they sent the fiancee a $20 gift card.

Also lol at people going "Popeyes is great because they regularly gently caress up my order!"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Len posted:

Sometimes calling corporate gets you free gift cards when poo poo like that happens. We made a trip to Payless once because there was a sale or some poo poo and it was on the way home.

We get there and the doors are locked despite the doors and website saying they were open another hour. The people working just stared at me while I knocked on the door and I had to call them in order to figure out why the doors weren't open. Since I was feeling pissy that they couldn't be bothered to talk to me I called corporate who called them just to find out the hours changed and they hadn't bothered to tell anyone. Then they sent the fiancee a $20 gift card.

Also lol at people going "Popeyes is great because they regularly gently caress up my order!"

I regularly gently caress up the order, and Popeye’s magnaninmously corrects it free of charge.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

I sometimes write nice notes and haïkus to beer companies I like asking them to put more free t-shirts and hats in their cases and they will often send me a little care package with swag and stuff. Haven't done it in a while because I have enough Beau's coaster and Jr toques, but it's something to do if you've got too much free time. They always seem to appreciate the poems.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I regularly gently caress up the order, and Popeye’s magnaninmously corrects it free of charge.

The eternal god machine that dictates Popeye's system knows you better than you know yourself.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I go through the Popeyes drive through near my house every once in a while when I'm out running errands and it's been long enough that I've forgotten that I've never gotten anything from there that tasted like anything other than salt.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Popeyes gave me like 9 spicy tenders today instead of 3, the computer is working as intended.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

JoelJoel posted:

I sometimes write nice notes and haïkus to beer companies I like asking them to put more free t-shirts and hats in their cases and they will often send me a little care package with swag and stuff. Haven't done it in a while because I have enough Beau's coaster and Jr toques, but it's something to do if you've got too much free time. They always seem to appreciate the poems.

Never underestimate the power of asking boldly but (important) not obnoxiously for swag

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

wallaka posted:

Popeyes gave me like 9 spicy tenders today instead of 3, the computer is working as intended.

Okay, this is like the 6th time I've heard something like this about Popeyes recently. Twice on SA and then a few more times in discord and what not.

Wtf?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

MariusLecter posted:

Okay, this is like the 6th time I've heard something like this about Popeyes recently. Twice on SA and then a few more times in discord and what not.

Wtf?

The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

MariusLecter posted:

Wtf?

Sounds like you need some red beans and rice. It's a sign.