Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sashimi posted:

Common sense leadership really worked out well for Toronto in the 90s.

A white nationalist mayor of the most diverse city in the country, it's just common sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Who needs some good news today?

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1042420569357119488

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Just for the sake of laughing I opened Faith Goldy's platform

quote:

Extremist Audit
I will launch a Special Research Desk on Islamic Extremism to monitor finances in and out of Toronto Islamic centres. Additionally, any religious organization found to be preaching violence against identifiable groups will be dealt with according to Canadian Law.

Xenophobia, check

quote:

Defund Non-Inclusive Parades
All festivities not officially recognized federally or provincially will no longer be funded by Toronto taxpayers. Permits for these festivities may still be granted, however funding outside of recognized holidays will cease immediately. Moreover, permits will not be issued to parades where our law enforcement officers are forbidden from wearing their uniforms.

Homophobia, check

quote:

Heritage Protection Program
To know our future, we must first acknowledge our past. As Mayor, I pledge to protect Toronto’s symbols (such as statues, monuments, and plaques) which represent our shared Canadian identity. The Heritage Protection Program will ensure the growing practice of the deliberate and systemic erasure of Canadian history does not touch Toronto streets.

The ends justify the means, check

quote:

Ban on Face Masks
A ban on facemasks worn on public property will ensure that our police are successfully able to identify people in public, at rallies and during protests. Those who have nothing to hide, hide nothing.

Oooo Burqa ban 2018 version, check

Let's travel back in time

quote:

STE-CATHERINE-DE-LA-JACQUES-CARTIER, Que. — Faced with the prospect of losing votes in Quebec, Tom Mulcair is digging in on his position that women should have a right to wear a veil at citizenship ceremonies.
“I’ve taken positions in my life that weren’t immediately appreciated — I’m willing to live with that,”

“But I also respect other people’s views, but I’m going to continue to make the point that we live in a society where we’re lucky enough to have individual rights — and you either believe in those rights, which is my case, or you find a way around them.

“I’m going to continue to believe in those rights.”

Mulcair continued by acknowledging that the niqab issue is an emotional and sensitive one for some.

“But I also understand that governing is about leading and leading is about setting your priorities and telling people who you are and what you believe in,” he said.
BURQA? OUI!

Risky Bisquick fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 19, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Watching Rebel grift Nazis is pretty hilarious, but if they went there was always the chance the boat would have sunk with them all aboard.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Banning Toronto Pride and turning it into an illegal guerrilla march instead of a pep rally for the local Business Improvement Association is possibly the one thing that could make the parade interesting again.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Operation: Save Ontario Alliance Party

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4829403

"I think Ford is being abrupt, but im still a loyal conservative!'

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN
So does the council slashing bill have anything in it that mandates a mandatory time frame for having 25 wards? In other words, is there anything stopping us from going back to 47 wards once Ford is out of office?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edgar Quintero posted:

So does the council slashing bill have anything in it that mandates a mandatory time frame for having 25 wards? In other words, is there anything stopping us from going back to 47 wards once Ford is out of office?

Generally speaking, no government can constrain future governments. Each new government can totally reverse everything the previous one did.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Lobok posted:

Generally speaking, no government can constrain future governments. Each new government can totally reverse everything the previous one did.

How restrictive is this bill though? Does it stop Council from trying to expand again completely and utterly until the next provincial government says its okay?

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Lobok posted:

How does that work with things like the constitution or charter? A 50%+1 wouldn’t be enough to change everything right?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Evis posted:

How does that work with things like the constitution or charter? A 50%+1 wouldn’t be enough to change everything right?

The Charter amending formula generally speaking is Majority HoC+Majority Senate+Royal Assent+7/10 provinces approval that represent more than 50% of the countries population

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DariusLikewise posted:

How restrictive is this bill though? Does it stop Council from trying to expand again completely and utterly until the next provincial government says its okay?

Council can't do any of that itself because those laws are Provincial. Any time Toronto governance has changed in rules or structure or size it's been the Ontario government making the changes.

Evis posted:

Everything ultimately just comes down to varying levels of requirements for support. Majority of votes in a legislature, majority/supermajority of votes from provinces, etc. So if there's enough support there's nothing that stops previous laws from being rewritten or wiped out. Canada could wholly remake itself every year if we all wanted to.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

infernal machines posted:

A white nationalist mayor of the most diverse city in the country, it's just common sense.

The guy who said that is from Boissevain, Manitoba which is a former town of about 1500 people that is dying and was only notable for being a place that hosted turtle races once a year so he's probably not exactly an expert on diversity or the needs of large cities.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Small town Manitoba really is the loving worst

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

A Typical Goon posted:

I see that and raise you: Small town Ontario

https://twitter.com/goldsbie/status/1042239677946839041

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

A Typical Goon posted:

I'm having trouble choosing between the stretches of highway around Morden and Winkler that are covered in anti-abortion signs, or how the residents of Morris first chased out a gay couple who ran a bakery in the town, and then did the same to the black lady who opened a restaurant in the same spot as being the finest example of southern Manitoba redneckism.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

A Typical Goon posted:

Last time I was in Portage la Prairie I saw a white couple just completely butt ahead of some first nations people in line at the Dairy Queen. The natives just like, sullenly bowed their heads and stepped back.

I always try to tell people "no really, south west Manitoba is like 1950s Alabama" and they think I'm exaggerating.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2018/09/19/doug-ford-dines-at-trump-hotel-on-his-nafta-visit-to-washington.html

Because of course.

This province is beyond redemption.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
It warmed my heart when I heard that despite the fact that it was restricted to the sidewalk, Steinbach's pride parade brought in like 10x the support they were expecting. We would have gone but we were tied up.

And ya, small town Manitoba does seem pretty loving backwards. Even small town Northern Ontario is way less lovely.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

EvilJoven posted:

Even small town Northern Ontario is way less lovely.

do Kenora and Thunder Bay count as small towns?

I grew up in Manitoba and I've been to a lot of pretty rural areas for work but Thunder Bay is the only place a car literally drove by and threw rocks at us yelling "HIPPIE FAGGOTS!". And that's me and random early 20s non-status people, who aren't affected by Thunder Bay's more notorious problems.. like this.

I really, really want Canadaland to actually make that Thunder Bay episode they keep fundraising for.

Edgar Quintero fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 20, 2018

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Kenora is full of people who think they're salt of the earth despite the fact that it's now mostly a tourist destination for people from Manitoba and the USA, and also for some reason Kenora has way nicer roads than anywhere else in Ontario from what I've seen, and I think that's just a way for Ontario to thumb it's nose at MB. Like seriously even the Ontario side of PR312 is super nice with fresh pavement even though it's just a road to a town that's like a dozen houses and a boat launch.

Thunder Bay I can't comment on because I've only ever been there once and we just stopped for lunch and the city looked kinda lovely. Like Sudbury but even uglier.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

EvilJoven posted:

Like Sudbury but even uglier.

Peterborough?

SHAQ4PREZ
Dec 21, 2004

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Economy Car
Vancouver/Southern BC goons, what's the deal with Tsawwassen Mills?

Went there earlier tonight and it was a total ghost town, to the point that most stores were probably losing money by staying open. Does it get insanely busy on the weekends or is it a failed mall?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

Went there earlier tonight and it was a total ghost town, to the point that most stores were probably losing money by staying open. Does it get insanely busy on the weekends or is it a failed mall?

Apparently it gets busy on weekend afternoons? I dunno, it's been a joke since inception.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Furnaceface posted:

Peterborough?

Uh, well, at least they have a university

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

SHAQ4PREZ posted:

It was built at the height of "The supply of crazy rich asians is unlimited and exponential!" and "million dollar ladner houses!!!" so some idiots decided a astoundingly large amount of rich farmland should be paved over for the region's, perhaps even country's, worst big box mall.

I hope it's a run down ghost mall within the next decade.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines posted:

Uh, well, at least they have a university

So do both Sudbury and Thunder Bay.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

I hope it's a run down ghost mall within the next decade.

Wouldn't surprise me if stores start closing in the next 2-3. It's a total failure.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

They couldn't get people to come to their job fair because it's in the middle of nowhere (and obviously the wages were poo poo)

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://twitter.com/caroloffcbc/status/1042576873274978305?s=19

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Also, I drove through Sudbury and Thubderbay once.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Called it on the court granting a stay and Ford not needing to use the notwithstanding clause! I think most of us here agreed that the lower court ruling was a bit of a stretch anyway.

But hey, don't worry, we'll get some more shenanigans soon! The Human Rights Tribunal decision on midwives will come down soon. In what I think is the biggest case ever handled by the tribunal, midwives have had a litany of complaints. Medical students are paid while they work, but midwifery students are forced to work for free. OBs get paid vastly more than midwives for performing exactly the same procedures (obviously OBs also do a lot that midwives can't do, but there is no reason to pay one group vastly more for all the many basic routine tests and procedures that midwives are qualified to do). And a bunch of other stuff. Midwives make the case that the disparity is institutional sexism (see also nurses and nurse practitioners). They are correct. I expect the tribunal to give the midwives at least a decent chunk of what they're asking for. I expect the Ford government to say no.

Ford has some likely responses:

Appeal just to waste time and push things back.

Appeal while simultaneously using the power of parliament to gut the HRTO and stack things in his own favor.

Just say no, stonewall forever, and eventually either run out the clock til the libs get back in or use the notwithstanding clause when it comes down to it.

Actually pay midwives fairly. (lol yeah right)

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

That’s just bait to draw out the next CI alt.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Stickarts posted:

That’s just bait to draw out the next CI alt.

You have to use the summoning words

My doula makes the best kale chips

Now just wait for the next person to use the word fuerdai

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Say it 3 times in the mirror with the lights off -

prices can only go up

Prices can only go up

Prices can only go up

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Doulas are useful. Midwives are downright dangerous because they don’t know what they don’t know, and by the time they call in the OB they have been in over their head for hours. (I’m not a doctor, this is just what OBs have told me) The sexism angle is weird to me because I don’t know any male OBs. From the sounds of it midwives should be paid to not be midwives and we’d all be better off.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Evis posted:

The sexism angle is weird to me because I don’t know any male OBs.

So uh are you just assuming that they don't exist or what? I mean, you could take 5 whole seconds to google it.

Edgar Quintero
Oct 5, 2004

POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS
DO NOT GIVE HEROIN

Jimbozig posted:

either run out the clock til the NDP get back in

Fixed that for you. NDP lost 2nd place to the PC by less than 500 votes in like a dozen ridings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calamity Brain
Jan 27, 2011

California Dreamin'

Jimbozig posted:

Medical students are paid while they work, but midwifery students are forced to work for free.

Medical students absolutely do not get paid. They actively lose money while they work.

I don't even mean they spend more money than they make. The income is $0.