Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

prisoner of waffles posted:

if the error message from that forum post is treated as real, this is a completely believable failure mode for a system that uses GPS for position and an magnetic compass (with no correction but for self-determined bias) for direction

1. system gets a GPS fix and a compass direction, starts moving in the direction of its target
2. system gets a new GPS fix and uses that to update its estimate of its own position (moving kind of in the wrong direction?) and its compass bias (clearly off because we're going in the wrong direction as measured by GPS)
repeat step 2 a bunch of times until
3. system's estimated compass bias goes too high, system assumes that it is busted and decides to stop flying

fishmech is technically correct that GPS is not the cause of the problem (the best kind of correct)

my lovely way to fix it: use the GPS fix as input to (probably truncated) IGRF to figure out what your local compass deflection is

e: even mentioning IGRF is probably stupid overkill, a filter that computes bias + an extremely low resolution deflection map will probably suit those needs

this won’t work at that kind of latitude because the vertical component of the earth’s magnetic field is too strong.

your compass is literally trying to point up

gps doesn’t really work for heading if you have. a single receiver, it gives you the direction of your motion over the grid which can be erroneous because of eg wind

oh and the datum and charting is poo poo over there too but let’s not get into that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

Well, see, a white supremacist believes that white people are better than other races, while a white nationalist simply believes that white people should get their own country separate from other races, for reasons unrelated to racial supremacy such as

fishmech level :goonsay: about how they're not technically hateful and at no point have they ever said anything denigrating an identifiable group, therefore you cannot read anything into their motives and furthermore :decorum:

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

graph posted:

a cool tartar sauce on a fresh hot piece of fried fish is really good

yeah you right

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

haveblue posted:

yeah and it's a large enough number that they've put up with years of continuous bad PR over it

look, okay, we've technically enabled a genocide, but just look at these user growth metrics!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

but then who would use facebook?

they people who were responding to the racists?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

crosspostin' this here because i found it while in the musk thread and posted it there but boy does it ever belong in this thread instead:

This $16,000 robot uses artificial intelligence to sort and fold laundry

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16865506/laundroid-laundry-folding-machine-foldimate-ces-2018

quote:

I was standing off to the side of the showroom at CES while engineers worked in hushed voices, fussing over a $16,000 artificial intelligence-powered laundry-folding machine. The machine wasn’t giving back the T-shirt I put in, and for one brief, terrifying second, I really thought I broke it.

I had brought my own Verge T-shirt to try out a prototype of Laundroid, and I had to coax Seven Dreamers CEO Shin Sakane into letting me drop my shirt in, instead of the demo shirts they had prepared. As he expected, it didn’t work. After about 15 minutes, the Laundroid opened up to reveal nothing but an empty drawer. An engineer had to reach into the machine to pull out the shirt.

It turned out that the machine had trouble recognizing my T-shirt, which was a dark gray, instead of the brightly colored demo shirts that were on hand. We gave it another try, this time dumping the basket of demo shirts into the insert drawer. 10 minutes later, I turned the dial to open up the slider door, which revealed one neatly folded pink T-shirt.

lmao

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ate all the Oreos posted:

crosspostin' this here because i found it while in the musk thread and posted it there but boy does it ever belong in this thread instead:

This $16,000 robot uses artificial intelligence to sort and fold laundry

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/10/16865506/laundroid-laundry-folding-machine-foldimate-ces-2018

lmao

comedy issues aside, another big sv development that's just "things your mom used to do for you"

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

some fuckwit is delaying our provincial electrification plans here based on some similar bullshit.

we know how to build catenary systems. we can build them today. if we started building them when the electrification was proposed, we'd be loving done by now. we do not need to invent a new train and build an entire fueling system from scratch ten years from now to make this thing work

absolutely agreed in general. but we have quite a few train lines that do not have enough traffic to justify electrification, never mind the stupid amount of court battles this would create (overhead lines are ugly oh no).
if we can find a better alternative to diesel trains on these specific routes, that's cool.

most bigger routes over here are already electrified or will be, because it's cheaper in the long run.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Cat Face Joe posted:

comedy issues aside, another big sv development that's just "things your mom used to do for you that you currently pay a poor person to do, but would really like to cut them out of the gravy train, how hard is it to cook dinner or fold a shirt, completely solvable problem"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fishmech level :goonsay: about how they're not technically hateful and at no point have they ever said anything denigrating an identifiable group, therefore you cannot read anything into their motives and furthermore :decorum:

What's the word for the argumentative technique where you say a bunch of offensive things couched in superficially neutral language, and then you wait for your opponent to bring up the thing you're really talking about, then act all shocked like "whoa whoa whoa, where did that come from? It sounds like you are, in fact, the racist!"

E.g. one person keeps talking about "urban populations" and then the moment the other party says "black" it's over

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

never forget

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

What's the word for the argumentative technique where you say a bunch of offensive things couched in superficially neutral language, and then you wait for your opponent to bring up the thing you're really talking about, then act all shocked like "whoa whoa whoa, where did that come from? It sounds like you are, in fact, the racist!"

E.g. one person keeps talking about "urban populations" and then the moment the other party says "black" it's over

i think that's just dogwhistling

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

Well, see, a white supremacist believes that white people are better than other races, while a white nationalist simply believes that white people should get their own country separate from other races, for reasons unrelated to racial supremacy such as

if we banned white nationalism we'd have to ban all nationalism because slippery slope!!!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ate all the Oreos posted:

i think that's just dogwhistling

it's begging the question via dogwhistling

in that instance it'd be the racist starting from the assumption that black people are bad, and then stating their point while trying to mask the overt racism using more or less neutral language

the correct thing to do is to challenge their framing rather than attacking their argument itself. tho the fun thing to do is to claim confusion or ignorance when you do this so they're forced to explicitly state their racism

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

it's begging the question via dogwhistling

in that instance it'd be the racist starting from the assumption that black people are bad, and then stating their point while trying to mask the overt racism using more or less neutral language

the correct thing to do is to challenge their framing rather than attacking their argument itself. tho the fun thing to do is to claim confusion or ignorance when you do this so they're forced to explicitly state their racism

then immediately retreating behind "i didn't say that" when challenged, i.e. jordan peterson's rhetorical style

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what do you mean "urban populations" when i lived downtown it seemed like it was all affluent professionals how is that bad

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

oh boy i scrolled past this useful graphic the first time:

also this little nugget

quote:

The $16,000 price tag is pretty intimidating, but the company hopes to bring the cost down to under $2,000, if it ever goes into mass production. Sakane cited Tesla, hoping to mimic its model of releasing a high-priced product followed by significant price cuts after its release.

yep, mimic tesla, perfect business plan

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
can't wait for my clothes-fold-o-tron 9000 to fold my cat and then spontaneously catch fire

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

bad news: your cat is very dead

good news: you have a new scarf

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"Sakane said that he thought he had come up with 'the Juicero of the clothing world'."

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
breaking news: mark zuckerberg has officially given up his bid to run for US president

building on his previous statements about moving away from judaism, the young ceo expressed admiration for the leadership of iran and reiterated his holocaust denial beliefs, closing the public announcement by stating that although he respected meeting the pope, "there is no god but allah and muhammad is his prophet"

upcoming changes to the worldwide social media platform are expected to reflect these positions, though implementation remains opaque

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

because the correct solution is to just electrify the rail properly instead of building an entire hydrogen fuel cycle system from scratch

trains are almost a best case scenario for "an entire hydrogen fuel cycle system from scratch"

they're specific places at specific times

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

my problem with this image is, the white text on a light blue background

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uIrAN4JneY

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

skull mask mcgee posted:

my problem with this image is, the white text on a light blue background

yeah im more of a black supremacist

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

that lovely facebook policy is no doubt due to them working backwards from "We need to allow people to express enthusiasm for $MINORITY_RACE$" and then also allow it for white people for some loving reason...

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Cocoa Crispies posted:

trains are almost a best case scenario for "an entire hydrogen fuel cycle system from scratch"

they're specific places at specific times

I'm not sure if they deconverted them back to diesels, but I know either UP or BNSF had hydrogen rail vehicles for their yard ops. You know, low distance, low speed operations. There's a lot of hybrids running around yards as well.

(funny enough, yard locomotives in the steam age also had special designs. The tender was smaller, with a sloped back for more visibility to the rear from the cab. They achieved this by mostly sacrificing water space, but given the locomotive was not going to be far from the yard where water was plentiful, it was a non-issue)

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

breaking news: mark zuckerberg has officially given up his bid to run for US president

building on his previous statements about moving away from judaism, the young ceo expressed admiration for the leadership of iran and reiterated his holocaust denial beliefs, closing the public announcement by stating that although he respected meeting the pope, "there is no god but allah and muhammad is his prophet"

upcoming changes to the worldwide social media platform are expected to reflect these positions, though implementation remains opaque

time to sign back up for facebook

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

refleks posted:

that lovely facebook policy is no doubt due to them working backwards from "We need to show ads to nazis"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

refleks posted:

that lovely facebook policy is no doubt due to them working backwards from "We need to allow people to express enthusiasm for $MINORITY_RACE$" and then also allow it for white people for some loving reason...

I suspect it's from them thinking that 6 product managers in a room can come up with a single moderation policy for the entire goddamn world

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

refleks posted:

It's part that, part "well, we can either pay moderators to scan this stuff, or we can use a script to do it!"

The script was written by nazis.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

it’s cool that twitter & facebook have spent the past decade going on ‘well if you didn’t like that racist posting racist garbage have you considered not looking at it / unfriending them?’ and now everyone ya walked off the racists and the problem is ‘ohh why aren’t people talking to each other?’

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
facebook policies allow nazis pragmatically because they just want all the engagement they can get and optimistically because its the kind of company staffed by radical centrists that feel like they're accomplishing a great ideological feat worthy of praise by accommodating nazis

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
we must secure the existence of our advertising and a future for white engagement

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

lancemantis posted:

facebook policies allow nazis pragmatically because they just want all the engagement they can get and optimistically because its the kind of company staffed by radical centrists that feel like they're accomplishing a great ideological feat worthy of praise by accommodating nazis

but have you considered :decorum:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/bananalise/status/1042832610848899072

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/bergmayer/status/1042833646313512960

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

we must secure the existence of our advertising and a future for white engagement

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i hope you still have to set it manually and it doesn't even like, get the time from NTP servers despite being a loving wifi clock

or it does get time but it does it through a proprietary api that you have to pay a subscription fee to use, and also the time is delivered as JSON

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

t is stored on walls.