Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Phone posted:

Go to uniqlo?

Not sure why but I did not realize that they sold belts. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

THREAD STATS SEPTEMBER 20, 2018

Did you Japan?

Hai sempai / 125 / 41.67%
No / 20 / 6.67%
Unknown / 18 / 6.00%
Goku / 137 / 45.67%
Total: 300 votes

THANKS FOR POSTINGS!!!

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Where can I buy flavored toothpaste in Japan? In China you can buy green tea flavors and other minty / fruity flavors but I'm not able to find any here in Tokyo in the major drugstores.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
If you're buying toothpaste in Japan buy apaguard. It's remineralizing.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Look in the kid's section, ya weenie!!!

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Do they sell Darkie Darlie toothpaste in Japan, or is that strictly a sinosphere thing?

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

no

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Jfc some of these fruits are huge

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Where's the best place in Kyoto or Osaka to buy 'tourist edition' (i.e. 230V) Zojirushis? I have my eye on a NS-ZLH10WZ that's half as expensive in Japan as it is here.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Don Quixote?

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Yodabashi camera had a whole section for overseas models of rice cookers, washlets etc. I’d assume bic and don quiote would have similar areas too, especially in the touristy neighborhoods.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Excellent, thanks!

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I asked about TeamLab Borderless and Planets a few pages ago and just went to both yesterday. Here's some in depth info for future visitors:

Borderless is larger and you have to roam around to the different experiences. Lots of backtracking to be sure you've seen everything and some of the activities are hard to find. Planets is smaller and you are on a set path. You are guaranteed to see everything and IMO it is more immersive. Plan for about 3 to 4 hrs at Borderless and 1-2 at Planets.

Some of the installations at Planets ("Crystal Universe" and a room full of large balloons) are also at Borderless. Difference here is the Planets versions are more refined and more immersive.

So if I had to pick just one, I'd go with Planets. Try to see both if you have the time and schedule these for as early in the day as possible. Think of Borderless like a buffet of all their immersive experiences, it's all in one place and it's up to you to navigate through the dark to do them all. While Planets has more of a curated setup where some of the installations have distinguishable improvements over the Borderless versions.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

air- posted:

I asked about TeamLab Borderless and Planets a few pages ago and just went to both yesterday. Here's some in depth info for future visitors:

Borderless is larger and you have to roam around to the different experiences. Lots of backtracking to be sure you've seen everything and some of the activities are hard to find. Planets is smaller and you are on a set path. You are guaranteed to see everything and IMO it is more immersive. Plan for about 3 to 4 hrs at Borderless and 1-2 at Planets.

Some of the installations at Planets ("Crystal Universe" and a room full of large balloons) are also at Borderless. Difference here is the Planets versions are more refined and more immersive.

So if I had to pick just one, I'd go with Planets. Try to see both if you have the time and schedule these for as early in the day as possible. Think of Borderless like a buffet of all their immersive experiences, it's all in one place and it's up to you to navigate through the dark to do them all. While Planets has more of a curated setup where some of the installations have distinguishable improvements over the Borderless versions.

You know I only just realized that these things are around for a long time. Some previous versions were more temporary. Definitely going to have to go check them out.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Planets is temporary, but back from two years ago. Borderless is permanent. Borderless is way more interactive than Planets.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Borderless was pretty cool. Somewhat dampened by some rear end in a top hat European tourists who cut in at the end of an hour-long line.

The lines were crazy btw, but the place really emptied out in the last 30 minutes, so if you want to avoid them, going at the end of the day might make sense. If you have a dslr or similar make sure you bring it. Many of the exhibits are very dark and I needed to really crank up the iso to get decent shots.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Aredna posted:

Planets is temporary, but back from two years ago. Borderless is permanent. Borderless is way more interactive than Planets.

It’s temporary but apparenty until fall of 2020, so there’s plenty of time haha

https://www.teamlab.art/e/?type=pickup

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
We went right as it opened and there was barely a line. Loved Borderless btw.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

It’s temporary but apparenty until fall of 2020, so there’s plenty of time haha

https://www.teamlab.art/e/?type=pickup

Well drat - it only lasted a summer in Odaiba 2 years back. I was hoping to make it this year, but no rush now.

Granite Octopus posted:

Borderless was pretty cool. Somewhat dampened by some rear end in a top hat European tourists who cut in at the end of an hour-long line.

The lines were crazy btw, but the place really emptied out in the last 30 minutes, so if you want to avoid them, going at the end of the day might make sense. If you have a dslr or similar make sure you bring it. Many of the exhibits are very dark and I needed to really crank up the iso to get decent shots.

On the other hand if you try to really explore and understand how the exhibits interact with each other and with people you'll easily spend 4-5 hours there. Borderless is absolutely massive and if you go at the end of the day you'll miss a lot of the exhibits.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I meant the last 2-3 hours so you can hit the stand-alone exhibits at the end, without having to line up. You definitely need more than 30 mins.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm planning on going to Planets soon and will be bringing my Sony A6000 camera. I only have the stock lens so goes to F/3.5. I'm still an amateur so wondering what you would recommend for the manual settings. I read online to not go over 3200 ISO to lessen the noise.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I was shooting with the a6000 but with a 2.8f 30mm lens. I had to increase the max auto iso to 6400 with it wide open at 2.8 to get decent portraits of people in front of the darker exhibits etc. Getting shots of the actual exhibits that look nice didn’t need an iso that high, since you wouldn’t want it exposed as much, as you want to see the pretty lights/colours rather than the details of someone’s face.

The kit lens should be fine, just keep it wide open and make sure you haven’t limited the max iso too much. Try a few settings and see how much noise you will be willing to put up with.

All that said I haven’t been to Planets, only Borderless, but I assume they are similar in terms of exhibition and lighting design.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

nerrrrrrdsss

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
as long as you can keep the shutter speed up (faster than 1/30th) you should be good

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
Golden Gai has been pretty neat so far.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I'm currently in China for work and instead of doing my job, I've decided to shirk it for 5 nights and have booked an impulse trip to Tokyo from 3-8 October. I have never been to Japan before and have put next to no thought into this.My plan is literally the end product of the Chinese high-speed train being sold out on my original planned travel day.

I am looking at staying around Shinjuku or Shibuya because my friend told me to. The APA hotels seem to be going for about USD$600 for 5 nights, which is around my budget (below USD$140/night means work will probably cover it for me). Am I making a terrible mistake considering them? Is there a better option I should consider that I'm completely missing? I'm pretty sure I'm mostly just after a place to drunkenly pass out and store my poo poo.

For things to do, my plan is to just research more of this thread for activities and plug the extra time with booze and food. The TeamLab exhibit looks awesome so I might try to check out the Planets one if tickets aren't impossible to get. Ghibli Museum is, unsurprisingly, completely sold out. I will also do more research into whether the trek to the Hitachino Nest lab in Tokyo station is worth making or whether I should just drink around the hotel in whatever places I stumble through. I assume I can't go wrong with this.

NB: I intend to make a proper holiday to Japan some time in 2019, so I don't feel particularly obliged to jam my time full of touristy things this time round. It's basically just a break from 6 straight weeks in a factory in China.

Thanks for the help, I am sorry that I am that 'hey I'm coming to Japan for a few days what should I do?' wanker.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Can anyone tell me what is inside the Ghibli museum? I skipped buying tickets for my October trip because I'm just not that big of a fan of their work but I'm curious since there are no cameras allowed.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

kuddles posted:

Can anyone tell me what is inside the Ghibli museum? I skipped buying tickets for my October trip because I'm just not that big of a fan of their work but I'm curious since there are no cameras allowed.

Lots and lots of original frames of animation, a plush catbus you can crawl all over (if you’re a child), some Ghibli shorts that rotate in and out and are available nowhere else, and an overpriced restaurant. It’s really good, if you’re hardcore into Ghibli. I reckon you’d get very little from it if you’re not. The architecture of the building would be fun regardless, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Last minute Tokyo trips are fine, though that first week of October is a national holiday in China so Tokyo is going to be loving slammed with mainlanders. APA is actually a good option IMO because they're owned by someone openly racist about China and so the hotel won't be filled with mainland tourists. At minimum avoid Akihabara and Ginza as if your life depended on it.

E: If you don't want to give money to APA, Toyoko Inn is the next one to check. May all be booked up tho.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 23, 2018

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Ghibli had a special? exhibit that was a study on animating food and eating and was interesting. It had a thing that was the loop plan for 3 dudes eating some noodles. Worth going IMO, as long as it doesn't require excruciating effort. I got our tickets from the monthly online sale for my country.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Daytrip to Ushiku Chateau??? Goons will guide you.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

peanut posted:

Daytrip to Ushiku Chateau??? Goons will guide you.

Mmmmmm

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Last minute Tokyo trips are fine, though that first week of October is a national holiday in China so Tokyo is going to be loving slammed with mainlanders. APA is actually a good option IMO because they're owned by someone openly racist about China and so the hotel won't be filled with mainland tourists. At minimum avoid Akihabara and Ginza as if your life depended on it.

E: If you don't want to give money to APA, Toyoko Inn is the next one to check. May all be booked up tho.

Yes please give money to a guy who denies the Nanjing massacre. Openly racist is an understatement.

:fuckoff:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
People also shouldn’t fly United but ultimately both United and APA appeal to people with tight budgets and will still be around :smith:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
As for stuff to do in a last minute tokyo trip,

All sorts of restaurants and bars to visit.

I made a list of bars and restaurants here

Good food in tokyo
https://www.google.com/maps/placelists/list/1tLjJSa6MpiuIeWTBsF1RwPSjynQ?hl=en

Highlights : walk in kyubei lunch, it’s convenient for last minute too notch sushi

Average but good value 24 hours : sushi zanmai

Afuri ramen
Genkai chicken soup
Eel
Pork cutlets

Little smith bar

Try the national museum

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Toyoko Inn is my "traveling on a budget and just need a decent place to shower and sleep" recommendation, but they may be slammed as you said if the 3-8 is a Chinese holiday.

quote:

For things to do, my plan is to just research more of this thread for activities and plug the extra time with booze and food. The TeamLab exhibit looks awesome so I might try to check out the Planets one if tickets aren't impossible to get. Ghibli Museum is, unsurprisingly, completely sold out. I will also do more research into whether the trek to the Hitachino Nest lab in Tokyo station is worth making or whether I should just drink around the hotel in whatever places I stumble through. I assume I can't go wrong with this.

Don't worry about "the trek" from Shibuya to Tokyo Station, that's a very easy trip on the Yamanote Line and not even all that "far". Everything is 45 minutes away in Tokyo, that's just life. If you like beer, there's a number of good breweries and brew pubs you could make treks to -- including Asahi's golden turd building outside Asakusa.

The good news is that early October should be great weather to walk around in (20C and not humid, could be rainy so bring a light jacket) so hitting up different districts and wandering would be a great option. Meiji Jingu and Harajuku are always fun if you want a big dose of JAPAN, Shinjuku and the Metropolitan Government Office are cool (the Tokyo Metropolitan building is one of the better tower viewpoints in Tokyo if you want panoramas). There's just about every kind of food imaginable in Tokyo, and good quality for all.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
How's the weather during the last two weeks of May? Possibly going next year around that time.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

fine

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Anything specific you're looking for drinking wise?
If you google Shinjuku bars in English you're bound to get plenty of hits for Golden Gai. But it's more or less only for tourists these days. Golden Gai bars tend to be quite lovely in terms of cost-performance too.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Golden Gai sucks worse than Osaka