Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Has to do a lot with how the SEC handled cross division stuff when they expanded. You always play every team in your division (east or west) and only play 2 from the other division. Really wish we would do that pod system that means everyone plays everyone him and home every 4 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

KKKLIP ART posted:

Has to do a lot with how the SEC handled cross division stuff when they expanded. You always play every team in your division (east or west) and only play 2 from the other division. Really wish we would do that pod system that means everyone plays everyone him and home every 4 years.

Just add one conference game and the problem's literally only half as bad (since one of the cross division games is locked in with your "rival"). I loving hate how little we play the interesting East teams.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

SEC scheduling has been poo poo for a long time.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

LeeMajors posted:

SEC scheduling has been poo poo for a long time.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Raku posted:

Just add one conference game and the problem's literally only half as bad (since one of the cross division games is locked in with your "rival"). I loving hate how little we play the interesting East teams.

Yeah 9 conference games with 3 cross division games, one of which being a rival, should be a no brainer, especially with how most of the other games are cupcake games where we have to pay out to get them here instead of making good money due to folks wanting to watch SEC FOOTBAW

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

How the gently caress is the Big Ten better than SEC at this.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
They should just get rid of the cross divisional rivals except for Bama-Tennesee and Georgia-Auburn. Those can stay locked in, everyone else can rotate because none of the rest matter anyway.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Like the SCar/aTm "rivalry?"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Scarf posted:

Like the SCar/aTm "rivalry?"

Arkansas/Missouri really seems like it should be a natural rivalry. Share a border, both reasonably comparable programs success-wise historically--Arkansas is better across the board but neither team has ever been a true national power.

Now that Bielema is gone and they don't have a coach I hate I just don't care at all, and I barely cared before. I wonder how these teams never really got together? They only played twice outside of bowl games before Mizzou joined the SEC.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Manoueverable posted:

I'm definitely concerned about playing BYU with the way Washington's been so far. I think I know the answer to the question already, but is BYU still dirty as hell?

After BYU won, the entire team celebrated with their fans directly behind the away bench. Then, they went kitty-corner to near where the band/students sit and did some sort of taunting? Meanwhile, the band was already three songs into the 5th Quarter.

So yeah most likely.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
BYU is following the mormon gods message lie cheat and steal

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Mark Richt is going to play @ Texas A&M before UGA ever actually does.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Metapod posted:

BYU is following the mormon gods message lie cheat and steal

Lie
Cheat
Steal
Kill
Win

Everybody's doin it

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

General Dog posted:

They should just get rid of the cross divisional rivals except for Bama-Tennesee and Georgia-Auburn. Those can stay locked in, everyone else can rotate because none of the rest matter anyway.

Bama-Tennesee hasn't mattered in a long time

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

D.N. Nation posted:

Mark Richt is going to play @ Texas A&M before UGA ever actually does.

This is hilarious and sad at the same time.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

On paper maybe but there's fans on both sides that still definitely care about that game. And it will again, it's got enough history to keep it going until it does.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
The 8 game conference schedule has helped the SEC become the top conference that it is. For years, the extra cupcake has inflated mid-SEC records and made top SEC teams look better for beating additional 8-10 win teams.

With a 9 game schedule, the conference as a whole would have 7 fewer wins, which would decrease the national brand and weaken their local stranglehold on recruiting.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidHaleESPN/status/1042769781353533440

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak
Kentucky-Miss St is a "rivalry" because all their natural rivals are in their own divisions and they were left over with no one else to play. At least they're on about equal ground historically, the series is 23-22 UK all time, but MSU has won 8 of the last 9.

This year it actually means quite a bit for UK. Their 3 game stretch of MSU, SC, and @A&M is tough, but no results would surprise me. 3-0 is extremely unlikely, but not impossible. 2-1 would be wonderful and would likely lead to a winning SEC record for the first time since 1977. 1-2 is probably most likely, and could still lead to winning a record but dulls the excitement a little bit. 0-3 is also possible but that would really surprise me. As long as none of them are blowouts I'll still feel good going into the second half of the season.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

My opinion on college coaches is this: they need at least 3 years before you should entertain the idea of firing them, because of exactly this.

Unless they fail to win a game against a conference opponent and give us the hilarity that was UT's coaching search.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004
If we're talking divisional realignment I don't want Ohio State to play Rutgers ever again. I don't care about the logistics, just please get it off my television. Also at 271-24 over the last five years with no touchdowns for Rutgers since 2015 I think it's become a safety issue for the Rutgers players.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Spacemonkey57 posted:

If we're talking divisional realignment I don't want Ohio State to play Rutgers ever again. I don't care about the logistics, just please get it off my television. Also at 271-24 over the last five years with no touchdowns for Rutgers since 2015 I think it's become a safety issue for the Rutgers players.

I think getting Rutgers off everyone's TV would be a bonus for everyone.

Shappa
Jan 22, 2005

You probably don't know her, she goes to a different school
Yeah scheduling needs to work in a way where a kid who completes their undergrad is going to see every conference team pass through their stadium at least once during that time.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The Big 12 had it right even before they shrank to 10 schools.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

Edward Mass posted:

The Big 12 had it right even before they shrank to 10 schools.

This is what I was thinking. Making it so cross division schools play on a regular cadence isn't rocket science. The SEC is p bitchmade across the board when it comes to scheduling, both in and out of conference. It all just feeds the narrative about how it's so hard when in reality they're p much the same as every other conference with some good teams, middling teams and garbage teams, not the murderers row they/ESPN would want you to believe it is.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

kayakyakr posted:

The 8 game conference schedule has helped the SEC become the top conference that it is. For years, the extra cupcake has inflated mid-SEC records and made top SEC teams look better for beating additional 8-10 win teams.

With a 9 game schedule, the conference as a whole would have 7 fewer wins, which would decrease the national brand and weaken their local stranglehold on recruiting.

I really have to disagree with your theory. Texas, FSU, Miami, and Clemson are in SEC states but recruit very well. Recruiting comes from being a P5 school with good funding and fan support in rich recruiting ground states, not from notching a win over Colorado State.

Conferences with Kansas or Rutgers also can't complain about gimme wins. This isn't saying the extra conference game isn't a good idea, but if it is then it's for other reasons.

Neil Armbong posted:

This is what I was thinking. Making it so cross division schools play on a regular cadence isn't rocket science. The SEC is p bitchmade across the board when it comes to scheduling, both in and out of conference. It all just feeds the narrative about how it's so hard when in reality they're p much the same as every other conference with some good teams, middling teams and garbage teams, not the murderers row they/ESPN would want you to believe it is.

Not many schools would want to play FSU at season's end every single year. Who else has such a (usually) difficult OOC game? And a rivalry to boot.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 20, 2018

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

kayakyakr posted:

That ignores the fact that no one except the Pac-10 was playing a 9 game conference schedule until 2011, the Big Ten didn't go to 9 until 2016, and and the ACC is still at 8.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

LLCoolJD posted:

Not many schools would want to play FSU at season's end every single year. Who else has such a (usually) difficult OOC game? And a rivalry to boot.

If you're counting historically Texas/OU used to be this.

Notre Dame USC or something like that might qualify? Uh....Georgia/Georgia Tech? I don't know.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

That said I do with the SEC would go to 9 games, just because it would be nice to have more meaningful games. Plus, since the Aggies have that stupid neutral site game against Arkansas, we only have 3 conference home games every other year.

Grittybeard posted:

If you're counting historically Texas/OU used to be this.

Notre Dame USC or something like that might qualify? Uh....Georgia/Georgia Tech? I don't know.

Right now, South Carolina has a pretty tough one

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Joey Freshwater posted:

On paper maybe but there's fans on both sides that still definitely care about that game. And it will again, it's got enough history to keep it going until it does.

prob not for another 10 years as well

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

prob not for another 10 years as well

Good news because if it takes us 10 years to be relevant again I’ll have stopped paying attention by then

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It matters to the fans, I think. But is anybody on either side really heartbroken if we lose:

Florida - LSU
Missouri - Arkansas
Kentucky - Miss State
Vanderbilt - Ole Miss
South Carolina - Texas A&M

Of course the best answer is that the SEC can go to nine games, and even if you keep the mostly pointless cross-division rivalries, you're still hosting everyone in the conference at least once every 6 years.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Joey Freshwater posted:

Good news because if it takes us 10 years to be relevant again I’ll have stopped paying attention by then

bye felicia

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Florida LSU rules that game should stay

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

iospace posted:

How the gently caress is the Big Ten better than SEC at this.

The Big Ten adding the extra game has probably been good for the conference as a whole but man it sucks rear end for Iowa. The permanent out of conference rivalry against Iowa State means we never get any new out of conference games against P5 teams. They could dump one of the paycheck games against G5/FCS teams I guess, but they don't want to lose the revenue of a guranteed home game and also don't want to lose a likely win, especially when everyone else is still usually playing 3 gimmie games. I wouldn't mind only playing ISU 3 out of every 4 years or something and mixing a new game in the off years but it's a big game in the state so I doubt it happens. It would be nice if ISU could at least stay decent for awhile so it's not a huge drag on SOS but lol

kayakyakr posted:

hmmm yeah skipping that extra game against south carolina is really the thing propping bama up

MourningView fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 20, 2018

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Nick Bosa had surgery today for his core muscle injury so I'm guessing he won't play against Penn State.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Manoueverable posted:

I'm definitely concerned about playing BYU with the way Washington's been so far. I think I know the answer to the question already, but is BYU still dirty as hell?

They were definitely chippy against Arizona but also they backed off once they were in control of the game, and were honestly manhandling Arizona anyway so they didn't need to take liberties.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Nick Bosa had surgery today for his core muscle injury so I'm guessing he won't play against Penn State.
Oof. :( Hopefully he returns to a high level sooner rather than later (but after Week 5).

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

sportsgenius86 posted:

:rip: the entire Bosa family. So sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

LLCoolJD posted:

I really have to disagree with your theory. Texas, FSU, Miami, and Clemson are in SEC states but recruit very well. Recruiting comes from being a P5 school with good funding and fan support in rich recruiting ground states, not from notching a win over Colorado State.

Conferences with Kansas or Rutgers also can't complain about gimme wins. This isn't saying the extra conference game isn't a good idea, but if it is then it's for other reasons.

Texas had A&M switch into SEC recently, that's a bad example. Clemson is a bit of a wash, especially given their recent resurgence, though SCar had some good seasons not that long ago. The Florida examples are fine, though you have to remember Florida has a pretty big population, as does Texas.

• Locked thread