Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

obviously not the headliner but i like how shadow's new usb is nearly identical to his current usb, they just slapped more hits and a dark boost on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

Well, if we’re doing Bartz e-peen:

Everything except uniques. :piss:

Double Rabite
Mar 30, 2010

Typical Saturday night dance party.
So I pulled Gogo's (V) BSB from RoP last night. Anyone have any luck using this as part of a team? It seems gimmicky but it also seems like it could be very powerful if it is used correctly.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

holy poo poo are 4* magicites a jump up in difficulty from 3*s.

Midgardsormr was easy because my wind team is stacked, OK pUSB, cloud USB1, zack chain/USB/BSB, bartz USB1/2 and elarra healing, but every other one I've tried just fucks me right up. I haven't tried fire yet, probably should since my water team is beastly with fully dived yuffie USB/BSB, edge USB/BSB and tidus AOSB/USB; obviously I could slot bartz but then I'd have to hone up the water spellblade thing.

Do most people run 3dps with a buff/entrust and healer for 4*s or do you do 2dps 2buff/entrust and healer? I think part of my issue is lacking in hones, these things have a shitload of HP compared to 3*s and most abilities I only have 1 copy of at r3

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

MF_James posted:

Midgardsormr was easy because my wind team is stacked, OK pUSB, cloud USB1, zack chain/USB/BSB, bartz USB1/2 and elarra healing, but every other one I've tried just fucks me right up. I haven't tried fire yet, probably should since my water team is beastly with fully dived yuffie USB/BSB, edge USB/BSB and tidus AOSB/USB; obviously I could slot bartz but then I'd have to hone up the water spellblade thing.

Do most people run 3dps with a buff/entrust and healer for 4*s or do you do 2dps 2buff/entrust and healer? I think part of my issue is lacking in hones, these things have a shitload of HP compared to 3*s and most abilities I only have 1 copy of at r3

Depends on the fight. I've cleared four of them, two with 2 DPS (Tiamat, Ixion, both sub-30) and two with three (Isgebind, Midgardsormr, Isge sub-30, Middy far too long). To be perfectly honest Tifa practically solo DPSes Ixion for me with USB and AOSB. Galuf is only there for chain and his BSB Imperil.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Double Rabite posted:

So I pulled Gogo's (V) BSB from RoP last night. Anyone have any luck using this as part of a team? It seems gimmicky but it also seems like it could be very powerful if it is used correctly.
i've never used the BSB but occasionally I'll break out the +water rod. Or I used to, anyway, I have a lot more 6* magic relics now

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MF_James posted:

If you've got three top tier dps, then replacing one of them with an entruster is probably going to be a dps loss. An extra entruster is for when you don't have that.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

MarquiseMindfang posted:

Depends on the fight. I've cleared four of them, two with 2 DPS (Tiamat, Ixion, both sub-30) and two with three (Isgebind, Midgardsormr, Isge sub-30, Middy far too long). To be perfectly honest Tifa practically solo DPSes Ixion for me with USB and AOSB. Galuf is only there for chain and his BSB Imperil.

Fister Roboto posted:

If you've got three top tier dps, then replacing one of them with an entruster is probably going to be a dps loss. An extra entruster is for when you don't have that.

Yeah, that's kind of what I figured.

I'm also stuck with mostly melee DPS, I have a few casters but I don't have 2 for a single element except terra+vivi. Do you also have stuff honed up to r5? I think that's part of my problem, I'm starting to feel the pinch with only 6 uses of abilities when I'm rolling 2dps.

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
Using the Entrust to fuel Elarra's USB also has the side-effect of increasing your dps also. Elarra usually gets my first entrust, then a dps gets the second, then Elarra the 3rd. By this point she usually builds enough gauge from Knight's Charge to finish out the fight and the remaining entrusts can go to dps. Most of my teams are 2 dps, a buffer and Elarra and Shelke.

Edit: Also your proposed team for Marilith sounds more than capable. If you try to run the megaman route and go after Ixion next, if you have access to an instant cast physical blink and/or haste it will make your life easier.

saltylopez fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Sep 20, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I have exactly one 5* ability (Gaia Rush) that I honed to R4, and I think that was a mistake. R3 is pretty much the sweet spot. If you need more uses, craft another copy. One R3 ability is almost the same cost as honing from R3 to R4.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

saltylopez posted:

Using the Entrust to fuel Elarra's USB also has the side-effect of increasing your dps also. Elarra usually gets my first entrust, then a dps gets the second, then Elarra the 3rd. By this point she usually builds enough gauge from Knight's Charge to finish out the fight and the remaining entrusts can go to dps. Most of my teams are 2 dps, a buffer and Elarra and Shelke.

Edit: Also your proposed team for Marilith sounds more than capable. If you try to run the megaman route and go after Ixion next, if you have access to an instant cast physical blink and/or haste it will make your life easier.

I've been running:

magic - Edward USB, Tyro USB (have QC LMR), Elarra, 2DPS
melee - OK pUSB, Tyro, Elarra, 2DPS or Tyro, Elarra, 3DPS (like water where I have tidus/edge/yuffie with good SBs and all dived)

edward/tyro/OK all run entrust/wrath

Everyone I use is fully dived atm except Edward because of obvious reasons. I have been using TGM on Elarra, biggest damage boost I can on DPS and AS/the other one on the entrusters

Sadly I have no physical blink outside of ninja abilities, I'm lacking utility SBs outside of the Big Buffs

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Realms on Parade:

0: Ace OSB :cheers:
FFT: Mustadio BSB :eng99:
XV: Prompto BSB (dupe) :rubshands:
XIV: Y'shtola LMR :confuoot:
XIII: Noel LMR :shrug:
XII: Fran BSB :tipshat:
XI: Ayame LMR :bang:
X: Braska SSB :what:
IX: Kuja OSB :toot:
VIII: Kiros BSB :mrgw:
VII: Cait Sith SSB :argh:
VI: Edgar LMR :negative:
V: Gilgamesh OSB :black101:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it's a very niche instance but i will say i don't regret having r4 hones on the ninja mirror image/multi hit skills since you can't just double up slots on them

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That's a good point, but I've still never had to hone any ninja abilities beyond R3. I use Yuffie on my fire team and I think she usually only uses 4 out of 6 of her washing machine hones, depending on how often she gets targeted for physicals.

Of course she can also do up to 140,000 damage per turn so that might factor in a little.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I have exactly one 5* ability (Gaia Rush) that I honed to R4, and I think that was a mistake. R3 is pretty much the sweet spot. If you need more uses, craft another copy. One R3 ability is almost the same cost as honing from R3 to R4.

Ok, well that makes me feel better, I stopped at r3 because of exactly that thing. I do have 2 copies of a few things wind spell blade ability andchain fire (probably more to come...) because multiple people use them in the same fight, or, in the case of rear end saber, because of hone hungry monster orlandeau.

Cowcaster posted:

it's a very niche instance but i will say i don't regret having r4 hones on the ninja mirror image/multi hit skills since you can't just double up slots on them

Yeah these I have been debating about making r4/r5, at least on the 3/5/7 hit ones because once you drop the USB you just mash that button till the end of time.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i should also mention that until recently my main ninja was usb shadow who doesn't have a way of getting mirror image stacks outside of the abilities so that was a major factor. now i've got dived yuffie complete with usb and glunt so actually those r4 hones are a bit overkill, but time makes fools of us all

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Almost all my skills stay at r3 (for now anyway), r4/5 is for specific people with hone hungry doublecasts like Orlando and King

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010

MF_James posted:

Sadly I have no physical blink outside of ninja abilities, I'm lacking utility SBs outside of the Big Buffs

You'll probably need to bring Hastega to Ixion then. I'm not even sure if Elarra will be worth bringing there as I believe his dispel will remove the regenga.

Bartz with USB1 and his en-earth bsb was probably 75% of my damage for Ixion, Edge did some backup damage, but it was minimal and he was primarily there to alternate his SSB with Arc's SSB.

It's not something I've tried personally, but it could be worth attempting Ixion with a dedicated debuffer since his resistance to breaks is only 60%. You won't be getting any sub-30 clears this way but it doesn't sound like you're worried about that at the moment.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dispel can remove regenga, but it has such a short duration (8s at most) that I think it's still worth bringing.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

regenga is good at a single tick

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
You're probably right. Elarra USB is just that good. I might be more likely to bring Relm USB or Aphmau USB to that fight if those were available though.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

MF_James posted:

I've been running:

magic - Edward USB, Tyro USB (have QC LMR), Elarra, 2DPS
melee - OK pUSB, Tyro, Elarra, 2DPS or Tyro, Elarra, 3DPS (like water where I have tidus/edge/yuffie with good SBs and all dived)

edward/tyro/OK all run entrust/wrath

Everyone I use is fully dived atm except Edward because of obvious reasons. I have been using TGM on Elarra, biggest damage boost I can on DPS and AS/the other one on the entrusters

Which Ellara RW are you using? The first thing that jumps out at me is that both guardian and raider are essentially redundant on your teams. Consider dropping Tyro for... anything else useful, really, and finding room for proshellga in your ability slots instead. Heck, for a few of the magicites you can get away with only one or the other.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

Which Ellara RW are you using? The first thing that jumps out at me is that both guardian and raider are essentially redundant on your teams. Consider dropping Tyro for... anything else useful, really, and finding room for proshellga in your ability slots instead. Heck, for a few of the magicites you can get away with only one or the other.

raider isn't technically redundant since it stacks with OK's pUSB and I can drop that T1 with elarra to get haste up pretty much immediately thanks to TGM while I wrath up juice for godwall; Elarra I have her USB only.

It seems like it would be fairly worthless to bring someone just to drop proshellga if I can't do useful dps with them when I can use tyro and/or OK to entrust elarra/DPS

Though in instances where I would need only protect or shell, I could drop that on elarra and run a 3rd actual DPS, if I have one.

The other issue is that while I have some stacked characters, I generally don't have more than 2 (good) dps per element; except water.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 20, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MF_James posted:

raider isn't technically redundant since it stacks with OK's pUSB and I can drop that T1 with elarra to get haste up pretty much immediately thanks to TGM while I wrath up juice for godwall; Elarra I have her USB only.

+30% ATK on top of +50% is probably not going to contribute much to your dps, so it might as well be redundant. I think you'd definitely be better off dropping Tyro, bringing RW wall, and squeezing proshellga in somewhere else. Like Cattail Prohpet said, you can sometimes get away with only bringing only one of protect or shell, and sometimes neither.

At the very least you could replace Tyro with Shelke, who is a much better entrust bot.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

MF_James posted:

It seems like it would be fairly worthless to bring someone just to drop proshellga if I can't do useful dps with them when I can use tyro and/or OK to entrust elarra/DPS

Though in instances where I would need only protect or shell, I could drop that on elarra and run a 3rd actual DPS, if I have one.

The other issue is that while I have some stacked characters, I generally don't have more than 2 (good) dps per element; except water.

With pUSB, the +30% attack is probably going to be way over softcap though and you're triple hasting your team. I didn't realize this until now, but I believe all of my magicite teams only use protect or shell since they usually favor one over the other or have mostly piercing of one type. The exception is Kraken and for that I use Edward's bard protect with my healer's shellga. Even if you just sub Tyro for a dived Shelke and give Elerra the appropriate -ga, I think that would be a huge boost.

I can sub30 all the 4*s and my teams are 1 or 2 DPS, 2 or 3 entruster/buffer, and a healer. Shelke is on all of them and they all use Fabula Guardian. I'm pretty sure this will have to change for 5*, but it's working for me now.

edit: Basically exactly what Fister said

MF_James
May 8, 2008

I still need to finish diving shelke, ran out of motes :(

That's part of the reason I roll tyro because I have his QC2 LMR

saltylopez
Mar 30, 2010
I guess for individual 4 star magicites maybe you'll have to be more specific as to what is causing you to fail. If you're hitting enrage timers then that's one problem with one solution, but if you're dying at 15 seconds then that's a whole different problem.

A lot of the trick with the magicites is figuring out the bare minimum of mitigation and the exact correct order of operations to make sure your team just barely survives the onslaught so that you can put the rest of your resources into more damage. Having access to an instant heal like Elarra USB means that whether the AoE the boss does did 3k to teh whole party or 4k to the whole party doesn't really matter so much since you can just toss out the USB and be at full health regardless.

Using resistance accessories for instance are one area where you can very significantly reduce the damage the party takes at the cost of just like +30 atk or magic. Maybe this damage reduction frees you from needing the instant heal from Enkidu and instead allows you run something like Shell Dragon to increase the vulnerability of the boss and you end up with a net damage increase.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

saltylopez posted:

I guess for individual 4 star magicites maybe you'll have to be more specific as to what is causing you to fail. If you're hitting enrage timers then that's one problem with one solution, but if you're dying at 15 seconds then that's a whole different problem.

A lot of the trick with the magicites is figuring out the bare minimum of mitigation and the exact correct order of operations to make sure your team just barely survives the onslaught so that you can put the rest of your resources into more damage. Having access to an instant heal like Elarra USB means that whether the AoE the boss does did 3k to teh whole party or 4k to the whole party doesn't really matter so much since you can just toss out the USB and be at full health regardless.

Using resistance accessories for instance are one area where you can very significantly reduce the damage the party takes at the cost of just like +30 atk or magic. Maybe this damage reduction frees you from needing the instant heal from Enkidu and instead allows you run something like Shell Dragon to increase the vulnerability of the boss and you end up with a net damage increase.

I'll probably just have to give them a few more gos to really understand timings etc before I ask for more specific advice; I was mostly trying to get a general idea of how people were approaching them to start with.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

One last thing I'll mention is that unless you're going for a specific strat that involves a lot of SB spam, two dedicated entrusters seems like a bit overkill for most situations. Once your DPSes get their relevant SBs up and running, they shouldn't need any extra gauge for sustain, and there comes a point where your healer/support is limited more by actions than by gauge.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

MF_James posted:

I'll probably just have to give them a few more gos to really understand timings etc before I ask for more specific advice; I was mostly trying to get a general idea of how people were approaching them to start with.

I've been lazy and haven't finished all the 4*'s (im halfway done with them), but so far 90% of my magicite teams have been 2 dps, shelke + onion knight doing entrusts and OK buffing with SB, and a healer - Deuce with BSB for magic ones usually for the 2nd mag buff, and deuce bringing shell or protect as needed to go with the wall RW. This will change eventually and frankly 2 entrusters is pretty overkill most of the time, since realistically you only need ~3 bars entrusted to dps and the rest for healing, and even then there's ways around it, for example you could use Orlando's RM to give fastcast to your healer which for most fights will let you heal enough until they can use their SB naturally. I've done that for teams where I had a chainer in the Onion Knight spot.

Really though, magicite fights are ones you have to go into EXPECTING to fail a bit to start while you learn them. Find out what's killing you, try to adapt to that, then focus on maximizing your damage so you kill them as fast as possible.

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Hogama posted:

Cloud's Nail Bat

:bisonyes:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Speaking of Elarra, is her USB coming back in the fest?

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Banner 2, which is the Wind/Fire banner. USB/BSB/LMR all return.

Unless you're asking about the recently announced JP banners, where neither of her USBs or Glint are appearing. Although there was a recent datamine with Dr. Mog, Biggs and Wedge stats so maybe there's a Core focused banner coming?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

pichupal posted:

Banner 2, which is the Wind/Fire banner. USB/BSB/LMR all return.

Unless you're asking about the recently announced JP banners, where neither of her USBs or Glint are appearing. Although there was a recent datamine with Dr. Mog, Biggs and Wedge stats so maybe there's a Core focused banner coming?

Elarra's USB doesn't return in the 4th Anniversary banners... but Rosa gets a new USB which is an Elarra clone.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!
RoP:

FF6: Edgar SSB (oh hey I got this last RoP as well)
FF5: Exdeath SSB (more caster dark armour)

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Cattail Prophet posted:

One last thing I'll mention is that unless you're going for a specific strat that involves a lot of SB spam, two dedicated entrusters seems like a bit overkill for most situations. Once your DPSes get their relevant SBs up and running, they shouldn't need any extra gauge for sustain, and there comes a point where your healer/support is limited more by actions than by gauge.

It could be cause I'm too lazy to come up with better strategies, but 2+ entrusters has been my go-to for all the magicites so far. In some cases, I'm skimping on mitigation in favor of damage, so I need my healer to have constant gauge for medicas. In many cases, that healer is Aphmau, so I'm getting IC out of it too. In other cases I only have 1 or 2 good so DPS in an element or I'm too cheap to hone up abilities for another one so it's better to just funnel everything into what I've got rather than shoehorn in somebody else. I'm pretty sure this won't fly with the 5*s, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

That's fair, and you can definitely make multiple entrusters work. I'll admit I'm also slightly biased because the arbitrary limitations I set for myself actively prevent me from having multiple entrusters.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."
Current RoP tally!

0 - Nine USB
FFT - Ramza SSB (chant) (dupe)
XV - Prompto USB (dupe)
XIV - Yda USB
XIII - Fang BSB (Rhomphaia)
XII - Fran USB (Hunting Crossbow), Vayne OSB
XI - Shantotto LMR
X - Paine LMR
IX - Freya BSB
VIII - Quistis SSB1 (dupe)
VII - Tifa USB1
VI - Kefka BSB
V - Kelger SSB, Exdeath LMR
IV - Golbez SSB (dupe), D. Cecil ASB

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I finally got something good :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Realms On Parade
Parade 0 dropped a Deuce on me, and gave me her Eye For Detail LMR (Feathered Cap).
Parade FFT shanked me with Ramza's Battle Cry BSB (Kiyomori).
Parade 15 Gladiown'd me with Gladio's LMR (Prince's Pillar).
Parade 14 Dusted me with Ysale's BSB (Shiva: Diamond Dust). I don't feel so good...
Parade 13 fisted me with Snow's BSB (A Hero Rides).
Parade 12 saved me with Basch's OSB (Save The Queen).
Parade 11 Ayamehameha'd me with Ayame's SSB (Tachi Jinpu).
Parade 10 ligma'd me with Wakka's SSB (Aurochs Reels).
Parade 9 hit me below the belt with Amarant's LMR (Below-The-Board).
Parade 8 rained on my parade with my 3rd copy of Quistis's BSB (Hail To The Queen).
Parade 7 &$#%!! me with Barret's LMR (Armed And Dangerous).
Parade 6 suplexed me with Sabin's USB (Raging Fist).
Parade 5 decided to Buttz heads with me with Bartz's AOSB (Crystalline Focus).

Parade 4 Shot me through the heart with Rosa's BSB (Holy Ray).