Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
:yikes: let's go back to talking about $40K Camrys please because that poo poo is d-e-p-r-e-s-s-i-n-g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

:yikes: let's go back to talking about $40K Camrys please because that poo poo is d-e-p-r-e-s-s-i-n-g.

Okay, how about this:

http://time.com/longform/teaching-in-america/

quote:

Hope Brown can make $60 donating plasma from her blood cells twice in one week, and a little more if she sells some of her clothes at a consignment store. It’s usually just enough to cover an electric bill or a car payment. This financial juggling is now a part of her everyday life—something she never expected almost two decades ago when she earned a master’s degree in secondary education and became a high school history teacher. Brown often works from 5 a.m. to 4 p.m. at her school in Versailles, Ky., then goes to a second job manning the metal detectors and wrangling rowdy guests at Lexington’s Rupp Arena to supplement her $55,000 annual salary. With her husband, she also runs a historical tour company for extra money.

Is there some sort of PR firm out there pushing this narrative of the struggling teacher? I mean, I'm sure there are some, but choosing this obviously BWM woman who is making more than the median HOUSEHOLD income by herself in a LCOL area with summers off and a funded defined benefits plan puts her total compensation WELL above average. And somehow she needs to sell clothing at consignment shops and donate plasma to "survive."

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

Motronic posted:

Okay, how about this:

Is there some sort of PR firm out there pushing this narrative of the struggling teacher? I mean, I'm sure there are some, but choosing this obviously BWM woman who is making more than the median HOUSEHOLD income by herself in a LCOL area with summers off and a funded defined benefits plan puts her total compensation WELL above average. And somehow she needs to sell clothing at consignment shops and donate plasma to "survive."

Be glad you don't have family members who are teachers. No matter what you do in your life, it pales in comparison to the challenges of being a 3rd grade teacher. The struggle is always real with them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Motronic posted:

Okay, how about this:

The "PR firm of the struggling teacher" is the National Education Association. I grew up as the child of a teacher, so I'm not excited to badmouth them, but annualized, $55,000 for 36 weeks of work equates to $1,527 a week, an annualized salary for an individual of $75K. I calculated and this woman's minimum retirement monthly annuity payment is going to be $3,000. She's in better financial shape than 80% of Americans.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 20, 2018

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Bad With Money: Every morning it’s like a bat roulette

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
We gave them bread, wasn’t that enough?

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I can't believe nobody has done it so I'm going to go ahead and say it:

Bat With Money.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

DEMAG posted:

Be glad you don't have family members who are teachers. No matter what you do in your life, it pales in comparison to the challenges of being a 3rd grade teacher. The struggle is always real with them.

Mmm I agree that teachers are overworked and underpaid but so is most of the US. I have a few grade school teacher friends and I believe that they believe "nothing pales in comparison to the challenges of being a grade school teacher," but don't believe the statement itself.

They're certainly not living it large and teachers have to put up with serious bs but that's a helluva blanket statement, isn't it?

I grew up in a large very poor city in TX, and to this day teachers there make solid money and enjoy cozy lives compared to much of the population, at least when they're not inside the school walls anyways

E: weirdly, I'm in Austin right now and teachers make less here than they do in poorer smaller towns. That always did seem pretty hosed to me but I'm no expert on teacher payscales across the nation

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 20, 2018

normal contact
Mar 19, 2010

Bat mother is the this is fine dog but with guano

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
She's probably bad with money, but 20 years in with a masters degree and only making 55k is some bullshit pay. New teachers are probably making around 35k. Not every state has a generous benefits package either. The amount of time of you get varies but in most cases is not 3 months and the hours during the school year are really long.

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

KingSlime posted:

Mmm I agree that teachers are overworked and underpaid but so is most of the US. I have a few grade school teacher friends and I believe that they believe "nothing pales in comparison to the challenges of being a grade school teacher," but don't believe the statement itself.

E: weirdly, I'm in Austin right now and teachers make less here than they do in poorer smaller towns. That always did seem pretty hosed to me but I'm no expert on teacher payscales across the nation

Nobody actually wants to live in West Bumfuck, TX. So you have to pay well to get someone to take the job.

Sort of like how Denver Public Schools pay more, generally, than the tonier Cherry Creek and Douglas County districts.

That teacher, though...I can get not living a life of luxury, but unless her health insurance is horrible and she has something chronic, she should be well above plasma donation and selling clothes to consignment shops level. Something is amiss there.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hoodwinker posted:

I can't believe nobody has done it so I'm going to go ahead and say it:

Bat With Money.

Acceptable.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

blackmet posted:

That teacher, though...I can get not living a life of luxury, but unless her health insurance is horrible and she has something chronic, she should be well above plasma donation and selling clothes to consignment shops level. Something is amiss there.

Exactly, if we want to rile up support for the working classes, we should stick to honest examples of people who are living within their means and still can't make ends meet.

It reminds me of an article that I read about food stamps not always cutting it for families, and how they have to resort to cheaper unhealthy options (which is also a thing).

They interviewed some obese lady with diabetes who used her food stamps exclusively to buy cereal and junk bullshit. Her kids are all hefty as hell and one was developing signs of diabetes, and she just said "there was nothing she could do about the situation" with tears in her eyes as the kid helps himself to another heaping serving of capn crunch in the background.

Not once did the article explore the possibility of "stop buying cereal for your increasingly unhealthy children," and it didn't elaborate on why mom doesn't cook (or if she can/has the time). To me, it seemed like that article was going to illicit the exact opposite reaction that it was aiming for.

Like this isn't about "poor people shouldn't enjoy things!" Lady, you're letting your child kill himself wtf

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

Exactly, if we want to rile up support for the working classes, we should stick to honest examples of people who are living within their means and still can't make ends meet.

It reminds me of an article that I read about food stamps not always cutting it for families, and how they have to resort to cheaper unhealthy options (which is also a thing).

They interviewed some obese lady with diabetes who used her food stamps exclusively to buy cereal and junk bullshit. Her kids are all hefty as hell and one was developing signs of diabetes, and she just said "there was nothing she could do about the situation" as the kid helps himself to another heaping serving of capn crunch in the background.

Not once did the article explore the possibility of "stop buying cereal for your increasingly unhealthy children," and it didn't elaborate on why mom doesn't cook (or if she can/has the time). To me, it seemed like that article was going to illicit the exact opposite reaction that it was aiming for.
That would be judgmental and harsh to point out that lifestyle decisions are absolutely major contributors to one's circumstances and for some reason it's impolite to do that.

I think it's probably part of the narrative that all American's are idiot fat slobs and about why we can't have nice things like effective welfare programs, though the reality is obviously more nuanced.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

blackmet posted:

Nobody actually wants to live in West Bumfuck, TX. So you have to pay well to get someone to take the job.

Sort of like how Denver Public Schools pay more, generally, than the tonier Cherry Creek and Douglas County districts.

In general they get paid more for more difficult kids. The private schools that cost 20k a year barely pay the teachers more than that, but they only have 18 children in class.

It all makes sense from an economic point of view, but people conflate the wrong factors as being related to pay.

Teacher shortages in Colorado are for jobs in the most challenging schools and pay well. The less stressful schools have no problem finding people and they pay is less.

That lady is an embarrassment and not helping the cause.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Okay, how about this:

The article doesn't tell us how she's spending her money. $55k + part time work + working husband should be enough without having to donate plasma unless they're also up to their eyeballs in debt.

The article hits on some good points, but I'm not sure they picked the most sympathetic teacher to profile. Then again she could be paying off medical debt after the state cut benefits or supporting older more BWM family members. I remember reading about this one teacher in Oklahoma who, after paying for benefits to herself and her large family had no take-home pay. I'm not really sure how that's possible and I can't find the article now, but that was a humdinger.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

batgirl posted:

Man alive, there are so many bats. So many bats.

I feel like it's time to take action when your eyes start oozing. If the alternative is literally dying then just call in these professionals:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

I have one of these cards because when they first launched they were desperate to get people to sign up and offered a $250 statement credit if you spent $500 in the first 3 months.

I put $504 on it. Paid $254 and now I get a packet once a month asking me to please use the card to buy a discounted disney timeshare or cruise.

In related BWM credit card company ideas: Chase apparently lose $1.2 billion dollars on the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. They had generous sign-up benefits, but an annual fee of $450. They expected to lose money in the short term, but gain it back with a lot of people keeping the card and paying the annual fee.

It apparently worked out so badly that they cut the benefits in half, kept the $450 annual fee, and cancelled a policy of pro-rating your annual fee payment if you cancelled within 3 months of paying your annual fee.

It turns out that the only way to lose money as a credit card company is to make a credit card that is extremely attractive to churners and the super rich, while marketing it to the average person.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I have one of these cards because when they first launched they were desperate to get people to sign up and offered a $250 statement credit if you spent $500 in the first 3 months.

I put $504 on it. Paid $254 and now I get a packet once a month asking me to please use the card to buy a discounted disney timeshare or cruise.

In related BWM credit card company ideas: Chase apparently lose $1.2 billion dollars on the Chase Sapphire Reserve card. They had generous sign-up benefits, but an annual fee of $450. They expected to lose money in the short term, but gain it back with a lot of people keeping the card and paying the annual fee.

It apparently worked out so badly that they cut the benefits in half, kept the $450 annual fee, and cancelled a policy of pro-rating your annual fee payment if you cancelled within 3 months of paying your annual fee.

It turns out that the only way to lose money as a credit card company is to make a credit card that is extremely attractive to churners and the super rich, while marketing it to the average person.

Even with the decreased benefits Chase Sapphire Reserve is still probably the best overall travel rewards card out there. The $450 annual fee is pretty steep, but you get an annual $300 travel credit. So as long as you stay in a hotel 2 nights per year, buy half an airline ticket, or use a bunch of Uber, then the fee comes down to $150 pretty quick. Plus your Ultimate Rewards points spend at 1.5x.

The benefits they removed were fringe things anyways like price protection and extended warranty on purchases made with the card. Nothing I, or anyone I can think of, would ever bother actively using or even knowing existed.

Sock The Great fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Sep 20, 2018

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Sock The Great posted:

Even with the decreased benefits Chase Sapphire Reserve is still probably the best overall travel rewards card out there. The $450 annual fee is pretty steep, but you get an annual $300 travel credit. So as long as you stay in a hotel 2 nights per year, buy half an airline ticket, or use a bunch of Uber, then the fee comes down to $150 pretty quick. Plus your Ultimate Rewards points spend at 1.5x.

I agree, but they marketed to the "average" person.

That market is only people who will not get a card with a $450 annual fee or churners.

Apparently, churners got more than a billion dollars out of Chase.

Chase has been doing some bizarrely massively money-losing mistakes recently. Including:

quote:

JPMorgan lost $273 million on a single client in the fourth quarter

quote:

The benefits they removed were fringe things anyways like price protection and extended warranty on purchases made with the card. Nothing I, or anyone I can think of, would ever bother actively using or even knowing existed.

They cut the sign-on bonus in half, ended a policy of refunding the annual fee if you cancelled, and limited your airline credit to once per card year instead of once per calendar year.

They effectively reduced the value of the sign up bonus by about $2,000 because it was so lucrative to get it and just cancel.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Sock The Great posted:

The Chase Sapphire Reserve was extremely GWM if you got in on it in the first 10 months or so because they hosed up and initially made the $300 travel credit a once-per-calendar year bonus. So if you signed up in November, you had 2 months to use the credit, and then come January, you could get another free $300. You didn't even have to spend money to get the travel credit, making a $300+ refundable hotel reservation that you canceled a day after the charges cleared would qualify. Add in the 100,000 points you could immediately cash out for $1000, and anyone who was a savvy churner was making $1150 minimum profit if they cancelled/product changed the card before it renewed.

It's no surprise to me they lost massive amounts of money on this card. Plus I'm guessing making them out of metal wasn't cheap.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Rules nerds are a malevolent force in any game-able system. I'm surprised Chase didn't see this coming. I say this as a rules nerd.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

Agreed.

Also, I've had parking garages end up coded as travel before.

I have no idea how they're making any money intended to make money on it, but I'll keep on using it for those sweet, sweet UR points while my company is reimbursing me for all the travel I'm putting on it. I took my family to Key West this winter on UR points......fewer than I earned in the previous year. So yes, I will take a free vacation per year, thanks Chase.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Agreed.

Also, I've had parking garages end up coded as travel before.

I have no idea how they're making any money on it, but I'll keep on using it for those sweet, sweet UR points while my company is reimbursing me for all the travel I'm putting on it. I took my family to Key West this winter on UR points......fewer than I earned in the previous year. So yes, I will take a free vacation per year, thanks Chase.

At 19.5%+ APR they probably need less than 5% of cardholders to make the minimum payments each month for it to be profitable for them.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sock The Great posted:

At 19.5%+ APR they probably need less than 5% of cardholders to make the minimum payments each month for it to be profitable for them.

It doesn't seem like the kinds of card/qualification criteria that would lead to many people carrying balances. But then again, I'm consistently surprised at how BWM many high earners actually are.

Why do people always say save for your retirement

quote:

whats the point? at 65 ill be at the end of my life, and die. whats the point of saving the money till than.

when i can invest in the present? where im actually young.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i too was 17 years old once

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i too was 17 years old once

[M42]

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BMan posted:

It sure sounds like being homeless would be a significant upgrade

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Motronic posted:

It doesn't seem like the kinds of card/qualification criteria that would lead to many people carrying balances. But then again, I'm consistently surprised at how BWM many high earners actually are.

Killing yourself as soon as your work career is done is pretty GWM, especially for social security that will never have to pay out.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Motronic posted:

I mean, actual quote from the op

quote:

im 13 and just started learning about finance

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Sounds like he's ahead of the curve to be honest. Little dude's asking meaningful questions.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
When I got mine I had to sign up in person, the banker was named Chase, and he suggested I get my wife to come in and get one so we could double up on the bonus. I didn’t really want to spend whatever the qualifying amount x2 was so I didn’t but drat way to go get them Chase at Chase. He must have been getting something too so that’s more cash out the door.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Sock The Great posted:

AMEX's return policy or customer protection or I don't know what it's called is legit though and more people should use it. We bought a cell phone from a cheap online retailer and it broke after 3 days. We contacted the merchant, they said to return it and when we did they said they had to send it to an engineer to check it out. That took 3 weeks and a note came back that said "it's broke" with an $80 fee for the analysis. We said gently caress you, replace the phone, they said lol no pay us $80 to get your broken phone back and this went back and forth about 3 times before we sent copies of the correspondence to AMEX and told them to reverse the charges and they did it in under an hour and we never heard from the bastards again.

Always know about the fringe benefits of your cards.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

greazeball posted:

AMEX's return policy or customer protection or I don't know what it's called is legit though and more people should use it. We bought a cell phone from a cheap online retailer and it broke after 3 days. We contacted the merchant, they said to return it and when we did they said they had to send it to an engineer to check it out. That took 3 weeks and a note came back that said "it's broke" with an $80 fee for the analysis. We said gently caress you, replace the phone, they said lol no pay us $80 to get your broken phone back and this went back and forth about 3 times before we sent copies of the correspondence to AMEX and told them to reverse the charges and they did it in under an hour and we never heard from the bastards again.

How is this different from a normal chargeback?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

The warranty protection isn't a minor benefit, especially since it encourages you to use your credit card versus a debit or store financing option. If it's a 'premiere' card, it better have some buyer protections.

AmEx's rock.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Past 30 days and the seller can and did say that we broke the phone whereas we said it was defective. Most CCs here (Switzerland) have no customer service at all and you have to work to get even fraudulent charges reversed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Hoodwinker posted:

I mean, actual quote from the op

yeah that ain't bad at all, young lad is probably gonna end up GWM

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

yeah that ain't bad at all, young lad is probably gonna end up GWM

Pretty sure my opinion of "old" at 13 was 25 but now 25 is just a young whippersnapper so /shrug.

By reading /r/personalfinance, that kid is probably by definition GWM.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

I agree, but they marketed to the "average" person.

That market is only people who will not get a card with a $450 annual fee or churners.

Apparently, churners got more than a billion dollars out of Chase.

Chase has been doing some bizarrely massively money-losing mistakes recently. Including:

They cut the sign-on bonus in half, ended a policy of refunding the annual fee if you cancelled, and limited your airline credit to once per card year instead of once per calendar year.

They effectively reduced the value of the sign up bonus by about $2,000 because it was so lucrative to get it and just cancel.

Chase made more money last year than any other bank in the history of the world has ever made in a year, so singling out data points such as random default losses to one single ultra-high-net-worth client and a market-leading generous credit card reward program that attracted millions of desirable clients but was abused by some percentage of them who figured out how to do it on the internet is kind of odd in the overall context of their fiscal well-being. Don't you even worry your pretty little head that Chase will make mountains of money long-term on Chase Sapphire Reserve cardholders.

That being said both me and my wife collected 3 annual travel credits for 2016, 2017, and 2018 plus the 100k sign-up bonus against one annual fee each. Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Sock The Great posted:

Price protection is a fantastic benefit if you use it assiduously, for example on stuff that you absolutely know is going to go on sale at some point in the next 3 months, so pretty much any home good, clothing or shoes. Buy whatever you feel like and then whenever you get the sale email from the retailer just screenshot the sale price and upload it for a price protection refund.