Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Soldier Supreme was so much fun. I'm really looking forward to Ghost Panther and the other mashup characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

site posted:

Btw December solicits are out

quote:

X-FORCE #1
ED BRISSON (W) • DYLAN BURNETT (A)
Cable is dead…and now, the original X-Force team of Domino, Cannonball, Shatterstar, Boom Boom and Warpath. must hunt down the murderer of their former leader! The mutant militia are hot for blood…but when their target is the time-traveling younger version of their fallen mentor, is there a line they absolutely cannot cross? And what does Deathlok have to do with all of it? From Ed Brisson (EXTERMINATION, OLD MAN LOGAN) and Dylan Burnett (COSMIC GHOST RIDER), comes an all-new, high-octane mutant adventure! A reckoning will come!
40 PGS./Parental Advisory …$4.99

I really wish they would've made young Cable look more like X-Man, kind of like they did in Cable & Deadpool. Now he just looks like Skinny Cable, especially in the Rob Liefeld variant cover.

I guess Cable aged like Bruce Willis.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Gothic eyeliner Cannonball is pretty hilarious. Also, because his eyebrows are drawn in the exact same shade and texture as his eyeliner, it looks as though he's naturally hairless and painted them on. What's going on with you, Sam?

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Android Blues posted:

Gothic eyeliner Cannonball is pretty hilarious. Also, because his eyebrows are drawn in the exact same shade and texture as his eyeliner, it looks as though he's naturally hairless and painted them on. What's going on with you, Sam?

He’s nigh invulnerable to your criticism.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Ghost Panther #2 in Previews revealing my villain for the mini- spoilers?

Holy poo poo Palo! You lucky man.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Android Blues posted:

Maybe he was born with it.
Maybe it's the X-gene.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
This week's Thor was loving amazing.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

pubic works project posted:

This week's Thor was loving amazing.

I feel you're downplaying this because holy gently caress that last page is putting Cosmic Ghost Rider's last pages to shame.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay read Thor and wholeheartedly support this competition in ever increasing ridiculousness between Cates and Aaron

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I am so down with the Avengers living in the body of a Celestial at the North Pole.

Also people currently hooking up - Thor/Shehulk, Gwenpool/Quiten Quire

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
This seems to me like it's setting up an apocalypse scenario where somebody ganks Robbie at the base and he explodes hard enough to melt the polar icecap.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Avengers would just be a "Well, this is pretty neat I guess" comic for me if not for the limelight it's shining on Robbie Reyes. He's...a weeeee bit of a different character than how he used to be (he almost feels like Peter Parker, right now), but I like being able to follow his continuing adventures nonetheless.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao at the Hulk.

Dammit Bruce that's not how the line goes.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/GWillowWilson/status/1044322993042796544?s=19

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Yowza. Well it's good to hear she's on the mend and is feeling well at least.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
https://www.newsarama.com/41947-vision-s-chelsea-cain-says-she-is-dead-to-marvel-after-speaking-out-about-cancelation.html

When a book gets canceled before it's released, you have two options. The first is you take the blow and move on knowing you'll have other projects. The second is that you attempt to act out in an attempt to rile up support to get the book released.

However, when you attempt the second, you have to consider exactly what you bring to the corporation (Because Marvel is a corporation, a business, owned by an even bigger corporation) that gives you that clout. Because there are only two real results from causing a stink like that. The first is you get what you want, and the second is the company goes "And why do we care about you again?" And just drops your rear end.

Just a reminder that Marvel, DC, any company really, are not your buddy, they are not your friend. They are a money-making endeavor that sees it's employees as producers of content and replaceable.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I understand Cain's frustration, but I really think she's making herself look really bad by going on about it. She's not the first creator who this has happened to, she won't be the last, and I really doubt it was anything personal against her.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I understand the frustration but yeah, this same thing has happened to tons of other writers for projects that went nowhere. There's no reason to make a stink about it. I think being told the book you're making doesn't really match the direction the characters are going in is a valid reason to shelve something. If anything there should be more consistency with direction and characterization between titles not less. I loved Cain's Mockingbird and was looking forward to this, but I was also looking forward to Tim Seeley's book about Blade's daughter as a teenage Vampire hunter a few years ago and I still haven't seen that either.

X-O fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 26, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Onmi posted:

https://www.newsarama.com/41947-vision-s-chelsea-cain-says-she-is-dead-to-marvel-after-speaking-out-about-cancelation.html

When a book gets canceled before it's released, you have two options. The first is you take the blow and move on knowing you'll have other projects. The second is that you attempt to act out in an attempt to rile up support to get the book released.

However, when you attempt the second, you have to consider exactly what you bring to the corporation (Because Marvel is a corporation, a business, owned by an even bigger corporation) that gives you that clout. Because there are only two real results from causing a stink like that. The first is you get what you want, and the second is the company goes "And why do we care about you again?" And just drops your rear end.

Just a reminder that Marvel, DC, any company really, are not your buddy, they are not your friend. They are a money-making endeavor that sees it's employees as producers of content and replaceable.

i mean, if you read the actual interview shes not really trying to get the book reinstated and she clearly points out that she's done with marvel, that the clout that allows her to speak freely about this comes from her being an established writer that doesn't need to depend on playing nice with big 2 pubs to get work, and that big 2 comics treats creators like garbage (which is partly why shes doing the interview in the first place), so who uh are you talking to here

site fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Sep 26, 2018

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That Blade book didn't have work completed on multiple issues, did it? gently caress not making a stink.
More creators who'll do work they care enough about to get angry/devistated when it's taken away, please.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 26, 2018

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I don't get why they don't just make it an Elseworld-type story. Like sure, if it doesn't fit long-term plans, fine, whatever, but come on Marvel, don't pretend that you're not the company that literally publishes stories called "What If?"s. Slap a great big "NOT CANON" sticker on top if it's really too difficult for fans to grasp.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
one of Marvel's most celebrated books, Whedon's Astonishing X-Men, is basically just a non-canon follow-up to Morrison's New X-Men

there is precedent

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
Considering that her big debut, Mockingbird, didn't receive much in the way of support from Marvel and was cancelled prematurely, just before it hit big in trades, would definitely set a tone. Not to mention being partly the face of the complete non-issue of Women Having Milkshakes, and receiving no support from Marvel during the harassment campaign. Not to mention having to earlier deal with this year of controversies like Nazi Cap, the hiring of C.B. Cebulski despite pretending to be Japanese, the giant wave of cancelling female friendly books, the northrop grumman thing. For a person who is certainly trying to live the social justice lifestyle, it must kill to see the company employing you just falter step after step. Add to that actively advertising a book that you and some of the best people in the company are pouring yourselves into, only to have it taken away for nebulous reasons (or worse, completely irrational ones, like the rumors that Byrne is [just in case][spoilers]killing off the characters[/spoilers]). For the last while, Marvel has made it completely evident that they do not care about people like Chelsea. And she doesn't need Marvel to do her job, nor should she be required to be civil if all they're doing is crushing her soul and doing nothing with her talent. And frankly, they need new ideas and voices a lot more than she needs and outlet for them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Since when is Whedon's Astonishing not canon?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Since never.

radlum
May 13, 2013
I'm glad she is making noise about this. Folks that make a living working for the Big 2 can't afford to be so direct in their criticism of the way they are treated, I don't expect them to sacrifice themselves for that, but since she doesn't need this job, then please, keep on dragging Marvel; someone has to do it, specially when it comes to more specific things, like the way that they treat their talent.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

I like X-Men Red, but Cassandra Nova is a stupid character and she's really dragging down my appreciation of the book.

Kelly Thompson wasn't lying when she said the first volume of her Jessica Jones run ends on a cliffhanger.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rhyno posted:

It's definitely canon but it does ignore literally everything that happens after Morrison's run concurrently with it. It just doesn't explicitly contradict any of it so we can say it all fits together.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

radlum posted:

I'm glad she is making noise about this. Folks that make a living working for the Big 2 can't afford to be so direct in their criticism of the way they are treated, I don't expect them to sacrifice themselves for that, but since she doesn't need this job, then please, keep on dragging Marvel; someone has to do it, specially when it comes to more specific things, like the way that they treat their talent.

The only way they treated her was to say "Hey this book doesn't work in the direction we're going, but you've done work on it and here's payment for your work. There is also future work for you so let's just let this one go and move on" which is not unreasonable or unfair at all in any way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Rochallor posted:

It's definitely canon but it does ignore literally everything that happens after Morrison's run concurrently with it. It just doesn't explicitly contradict any of it so we can say it all fits together.

What exactly is it ignoring? The only thing I know of was the wild sentinel being rebuilt into the statue of Magneto.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

X-O posted:

The only way they treated her was to say "Hey this book doesn't work in the direction we're going, but you've done work on it and here's payment for your work. There is also future work for you so let's just let this one go and move on" which is not unreasonable or unfair at all in any way.

I know she is an established writer, but talking poo poo about the company that you worked for with a gig basis (that did something that its always done and paid her for work done) wouldn't exactly inspire confidence for the next company/publisher that might hire her.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/zdarsky/status/1044941124778037249

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

the Daily Beast article posted:

And when the publisher nixed two years’ worth of work on The Vision, cutting a chunk of expected income, “they wanted it to be clean and quiet, with the implication—not even—with the understanding that they had more projects for me in the future if we could keep this clean and not make anybody look bad.”

Emphasis mine.

Also I'm not entirely sure that "we're gonna not publish the thing you've been working on for some time now and you'll get a kill fee which is lower than you'd get for published work and won't include any royalties but don't worry, so long as you behave we'll give you more work so that *real* money can come down the line, probably in at minimum twelve months away, I'm sure that won't cause any financial hiccups for you right?" qualifies as 'not unreasonable or unfair at all in any way.'

Is it a part of the way comics are published, and dozens of other creators have had that happen to them, and they didn't have the wherewithal to do anything beyond shutting up and taking it? Yes. But that doesn't make it okay.

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Is it a part of the way comics are published, and dozens of other creators have had that happen to them, and they didn't have the wherewithal to do anything beyond shutting up and taking it? Yes. But that doesn't make it okay.

Thanks for articulating what I was going to post. I’m glad she spoke up about it, and she knows exactly what she’s doing and how some people might perceive it and is comfortable with her own decision. But I think it’s an important message to send, especially to people thinking about getting into the business. I would rather have this than ANY of the empty suit interviews that someone towing the party line will give to any of the interchangeable comic news sites.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If more people speak up and speak out maybe things will change.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Lobok posted:

If more people speak up and speak out maybe things will change.

That what will change? That they'll decide they don't want to publish books after getting them back? Seriously what is the mistreatment here, they aren't obligated to publish anything she writes, even when they pay her for the stories, every company in the history of EVER has drawers full of stories they paid for, did the art for, intended to release and just didn't for whatever reason. Every writer has a billion folders of stories they've written, and then either abandoned, or just never released, or couldn't get published.

What's the injustice here? That they did the work and it didn't get published? Boo loving hoo, they got paid for their work. That they don't get the extra money from the stories not being published? I feel bad that your story didn't get published but poo poo happens. Would it be more acceptable if instead of telling her "This isn't the direction we're going with the character" they said, "This is complete poo poo and we aren't using it"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dark Horse tossed the third Crimson Empire mini series in a drawer for like 13 years. Creative team had been paid an everything, they just decided it didn't fit the narrative they were pursuing at the time.

This poo poo is pretty common.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Expected income just means she wasn't paid for work she didn't do. This literally happens all the time when ongoing books are cancelled. She was paid for the issues completed and not for the issues that weren't. That's how it works when any book is cancelled. I mean if she did two issues and then they stiffed her on the work she'd done then ok you have every to complain and I'll side with you. When you're on a project is cancelled before the work is completed and you are paid for the part you already did you shouldn't get paid for the work you didn't do just because you had planned on doing it. This is work for hire stuff.

Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

No one tell them about journalists who research and write entire articles that never see print.

poo poo. Definitely don't tell them how many TV pilots never make it to air.

No no no. This is a thing that only happens in comics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Heathen posted:

No one tell them about journalists who research and write entire articles that never see print.

poo poo. Definitely don't tell them how many TV pilots never make it to air.

No no no. This is a thing that only happens in comics.

There's films that sit in drawers for yeeeeaaars before ever seeing release.

With her attitude about this I kind of doubt they'll ever do anything with those Vision issues though.