Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

angryrobots posted:

Hey fellow car dorks, want to help me identify a mystery body panel?

Found in the roof of the shed at my wife's old house. The old guy that used to live there liked old Mopars based on some engine bits I came across, and there were some door cards from a first gen Ford Ranger up there (what little the mice had left)... But I haven't been able to place this piece.

It looks like a cowl panel, I just can't find from what. I would assume American, and something full-sized based on its length:

'71 Corolla for scale

It's straight, light surface rust only, and all the mounting tabs are intact. I dunno, it's probably from something boring with my luck but I don't want to toss it in the scrap bin if it's something useful to someone?

That a front valence panel from something. Turn signals go in the outer rectangles.

And since you mentioned Ford Rangers, I checked those, and yep, there it is:

1983-1988 Ranger, and probably Bronco II

edit:

Chinatown posted:

heres how i sold it in 2011 im a fuckin moron lol.

frown upon me.

Yeah, you hosed up. That's a beauty.

edit again:
fixed embedded Ranger image.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Darchangel posted:

That a front valence panel from something. Turn signals go in the outer rectangles.

edit:

Yeah, you hosed up. That's a beauty.

edit again:
fixed embedded Ranger image.

Yeah, I was thinking some kind of filler or reinforcement panel. Looks like you nailed it with the Ranger.

Bronco dude - I used to have dreams about my first car. The One That Got Away.

So I bought another one. :v:

Also, yeah you should have held on to that.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I have a coworker that paid sticker for a Turbo Veloster 2 years ago. He convinced his grandmother to pay of the $25k in debt he owed on the car on the condition that he quit smoking.

Next day he shows up to work with a murdered out Miata NC smoking a cigarette...

Found out later that the day after his Grandmother paid off the Veloster he sold it at CARMAX for $10k and then bought the NC off Craigslist for $7k.

I can't look the kid in the eye anymore like what the gently caress. AND he didn't even really try to quit smoking.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
taking advantage of your grandma is fuckin low

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

64bit_Dophins posted:

I have a coworker that paid sticker for a Turbo Veloster 2 years ago. He convinced his grandmother to pay of the $25k in debt he owed on the car on the condition that he quit smoking.

Next day he shows up to work with a murdered out Miata NC smoking a cigarette...

Found out later that the day after his Grandmother paid off the Veloster he sold it at CARMAX for $10k and then bought the NC off Craigslist for $7k.

I can't look the kid in the eye anymore like what the gently caress. AND he didn't even really try to quit smoking.

What a loving rear end in a top hat.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'd report him for fraud. That's actually likely illegal.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

1983-1988 Ranger, and probably Bronco II

:ms:

Thanks!

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well, I didn't buy a Lamborghini but I did buy a 600hp/2200ftlb Volvo 730 under warranty. Apparently it's the most powerful emissions legal commercial truck you can buy in North America. I've been called a giant retarded fag by my friends and customers but it's been my dream truck for the last decade or so. I'm just not into Kenworth and Peterbilt.

Weighing in at 144,000lbs, (63.5 snow Mexico units) it gets to 70mph surprisingly quick. However with 2.5-4mpg I'll probably be limiting myself to 60mph.

Edit: this won't be a highway truck. It does short-haul trips pumping Hazmat fluid and transfering waste fluids to disposals or pipelines.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

jonathan posted:

Well, I didn't buy a Lamborghini but I did buy a 600hp/2200ftlb Volvo 730 under warranty. Apparently it's the most powerful emissions legal commercial truck you can buy in North America. I've been called a giant retarded fag by my friends and customers but it's been my dream truck for the last decade or so. I'm just not into Kenworth and Peterbilt.

Weighing in at 144,000lbs, (63.5 snow Mexico units) it gets to 70mph surprisingly quick. However with 2.5-4mpg I'll probably be limiting myself to 60mph.

Edit: this won't be a highway truck. It does short-haul trips pumping Hazmat fluid and transfering waste fluids to disposals or pipelines.

It took me all the way to the last sentence before I realised that this wasn't a brotruck.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

taking advantage of your grandma is fuckin low

Liquid Communism posted:

What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Yeah he really sucks. I should also mention that he plays World of Warcraft on his work computer. He set up this weird mirror setup so he can see if anyone important is walking buy so he can alt-tab out of it. He's also 5'6" and has a bunch of crappy tats and a septum piercing.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah he really sucks. I should also mention that he plays World of Warcraft on his work computer. He set up this weird mirror setup so he can see if anyone important is walking buy so he can alt-tab out of it. He's also 5'6" and has a bunch of crappy tats and a septum piercing.

Ok he has to have an account here. :ninja:

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

It took me all the way to the last sentence before I realised that this wasn't a brotruck.

No sir. I don't see the point in buying a vehicle meant for work and modifying it to be functionally useless. Although I am a sucker for a squarebody Chevy c10 or Ford shortbox setup like a prostreet show truck.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

64bit_Dophins posted:

If he flicked his cig @ u he is probably a cool dude IRL, op

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Grakkus posted:

Sorry, a bit of E/N coming, but I need to get it off my chest.
I organised a little group holiday/birthday celebration for myself for this weekend, starting today, where a bunch of my oldest friends from the UK, Germany etc are flying in. I've been planning it literally for months and been looking forward to it like crazy, some of these people I haven't seen in nearly ten years.

So of course my girlfriend waits until midnight last night to go absolutely loving berserk over a tiny thing and we are probably breaking up. She's been making sneery remarks about my "three day birthday party" for a couple of weeks and I can't help but feel the timing is really loving convenient.

The thing that triggered it is that she flew in last night, while I was hanging out with a couple of early arrivals I havent seen in ages. She calls to say she landed, says she isnt feeling great and she wants to go home and to bed straight away, and then offers to take a taxi so I can stay with them. I dare to consider it for a moment before saying that no, I'll come get her and take her home, this is apparently yet another sign of my spectacular selfishness and she's sick of it.

Am I a selfish dick? Does this seem rather well timed to anyone else? I'm so loving bummed out about this poo poo, she's torpedoed this whole thing.

Sucks dude. My ex did something similar on my 30th birthday - I had arranged a ton of my/our best friends to get together and BBQ, the night went super well and everyone had fun even me, who did all the work. Except for her I guess, and as soon as everyone left I got to hear it how I didn't spend enough time with her that evening, how she never wanted to do it in the first place, how she sacrificed going to a coworkers memorial service that day just for me, and the list went on. I was totally blindsided (I didn't know about the funeral, etc), and of course it ruined what would have been a great evening/fond memory. I couldn't figure it out, but really it was just a strong tell in how bad our relationship was. It took me another year to finally read the writing on the wall and leave.

I'm not saying you should bail immediately of course, especially if this is a first time kinda stunt. Communication should always be attempted - There are always two sides to every argument, and I know neither you nor I are anywhere near perfect men. However, your situation sounds real familiar and if similar things continue to happen, don't ignore them like I did. As a car guy I always like to say: the squeaky wheel gets the oil, but if it keeps squeaking it gets replaced with a newer, lighter Japanese model :v:

Also, happy birthday dude we're real close on the calendar!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Why eyeroll this? We all know Cat likes a good rant but racists in particular can eat poo poo.

all CT posts warrant eye rolling

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wouldn't try to predict the future based on partners loving up your birthday enjoyment. Every birthday I've had for the last 7 years has been messed up by various females.

As sexist as it is, I think because it's your day and not theirs, they feel the need to sabotage it.

Edit: I'm sure their are lots of equally dumb men who get all bent up over their spouses special day too.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I tell my wife not to do anything for my birthday and she fucks it up by going above and beyond and doing awesome poo poo every goddamn time.

Women, am I right?

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 20, 2018

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The older I get, the more I resemble Al Bundy, both in body and mind.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

STR posted:

Any of you guys have experience with the Moto G5+? Looks like it's pretty loving cheap now, and my work phone (a 2014 Moto X) is dying pretty quickly (constant lockups, GPS issues, etc). My only absolute must-haves are fairly vanilla Android, decent size battery, 2GB or more of RAM, and some water resistance (since I work in the rain a lot) (fingerprint sensor would be nice). I don't care about OS updates since it'll be a work phone. Needs to have real world performance comparable to the 4 year old Moto X (Snapdragon 801), preferably better.

Open box ones are going for $130, new in box are going for $160 (both ebay). Used in good condition is as low as $105 (swappa).

e: gently caress it, I nabbed the $105 one from Swappa. Supposed to be in "good" condition with no display blemishes, just wear and tear on the phone body. It'll be in a case anyway. Sick of losing out on money every time my work phone decides to be a dick. Worst case, I toss it back on Swappa, or eBay, or SA-Mart.

I had a G5+ for a year, really solid phone for the money. Honestly the only minor complaint I had about it was the camera, and nothing at the same price point is any better.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
My wife has a G5+, I'd say its a solid middle of the road option. Nothing that really makes it stand out other than being a relative bargain.

Complaints: screen has a "washed out" look, 2 GB of RAM really doesn't cut it anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

64bit_Dophins posted:

I’d make a point of loving him over any opportunity I found, just on principle.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Grakkus posted:

Sorry, a bit of E/N coming, but I need to get it off my chest.
I organised a little group holiday/birthday celebration for myself for this weekend, starting today, where a bunch of my oldest friends from the UK, Germany etc are flying in. I've been planning it literally for months and been looking forward to it like crazy, some of these people I haven't seen in nearly ten years.

So of course my girlfriend waits until midnight last night to go absolutely loving berserk over a tiny thing and we are probably breaking up. She's been making sneery remarks about my "three day birthday party" for a couple of weeks and I can't help but feel the timing is really loving convenient.

The thing that triggered it is that she flew in last night, while I was hanging out with a couple of early arrivals I havent seen in ages. She calls to say she landed, says she isnt feeling great and she wants to go home and to bed straight away, and then offers to take a taxi so I can stay with them. I dare to consider it for a moment before saying that no, I'll come get her and take her home, this is apparently yet another sign of my spectacular selfishness and she's sick of it.

Am I a selfish dick? Does this seem rather well timed to anyone else? I'm so loving bummed out about this poo poo, she's torpedoed this whole thing.

:sever: . Now.

This is not a healthy person.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My wife knows not to pull any "I don't mind if you..." deals, she knows exactly what I'll do, life's too short for that garbage. In return she gets absolute honesty from me. 19 years together and we're no closer to killing each other!

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

64bit_Dophins posted:

My buddy used to work with a guy who played WoW all day like that. So they started blocking the random ports that WoW used at the edge firewall and watching him ask people if they were having any connectivity problems(unsurprisingly no one was) trying to pretend he wasn't troubleshooting why WoW wasn't working.

Larrymer posted:

I tell my wife not to do anything for my birthday and she fucks it up by going above and beyond and doing awesome poo poo every goddamn time.

Women, am I right?

Srsly. I have never cared about my birthday much(probably a side effect of having a Christmas eve birthday), but she goes and plans parties with all of our friends who are in town for the holidays. Hell, she even did it last year, despite having to pretend she was drinking so no one asked any questions, since we hand't told anyone she was pregnant.

Speaking of kids, getting a standing desk and finally finding a carrier the kid doesn't hate is a life saver. Lets me actually get some work done in the mornings while letting my wife get more much needed sleep. As a bonus it entertains my coworkers when we are on video calls and I am standing here with a kid strapped to my chest.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Darchangel posted:

I’d make a point of loving him over any opportunity I found, just on principle.

I'm not the kind of guy to do something like that for the most part but I might change my mind if I'm presented with the opportunity. Idk this isn't the kind of thing that people forget.

slurry_curry posted:

My buddy used to work with a guy who played WoW all day like that. So they started blocking the random ports that WoW used at the edge firewall and watching him ask people if they were having any connectivity problems(unsurprisingly no one was) trying to pretend he wasn't troubleshooting why WoW wasn't working.

Lmao I wish someone here would do that. I don't have any control over the network in my office but I do talk to the IT guy every now and then. I bet he'd find it funny so maybe I can get him to do it.

I'm not going to lie though I've played AOE2 here before but only when there was no one else around and I didn't have anything else to do.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

My wife has a G5+, I'd say its a solid middle of the road option. Nothing that really makes it stand out other than being a relative bargain.

Complaints: screen has a "washed out" look, 2 GB of RAM really doesn't cut it anymore.

Moto claims it has 3GB of RAM. I'm used to washed out, my personal phone is an Essential PH-1. :v: (and my current Moto has some horrific screen burn.. gotta love AMOLED + Google Maps running for hours a day)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had a G5+ for a year, really solid phone for the money. Honestly the only minor complaint I had about it was the camera, and nothing at the same price point is any better.

Coming from a 2014 Moto X, almost anything is an improvement. The camera on that thing is terrible.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

cakesmith handyman posted:

19 years together and we're no closer to killing each other!

Change up your attack strategy- your moves are clearly too predicable at this point

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
7 years into our relationship that we started just out of high school, and murder rarely comes up, so I'm feeling optimistic

STR posted:

Moto claims it has 3GB of RAM. I'm used to washed out, my personal phone is an Essential PH-1. :v: (and my current Moto has some horrific screen burn.. gotta love AMOLED + Google Maps running for hours a day)

Coming from a 2014 Moto X, almost anything is an improvement. The camera on that thing is terrible.

They can claim whatever they want. I bet that like my S8+, 1-1.5GB is taken up by the OS and proprietary apps at all times

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

I actually convinced someone that the past tense of Twitter was 'Twat'

That was a very good day

Twats are what people who use Twitter are.

edit: meant to post that earlier, but forgot and left the window open.
Also, I'll have been married 20 years in October. I have no idea how she puts up with me.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Sep 20, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

Twats are what people who use Twitter are.

edit: meant to post that earlier, but forgot and left the window open.
Also, I'll have been married 20 years in October. I have no idea how she puts up with me.

I made it 10. I don’t have a point I’m just having a bad day ha

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My brother may have talked me into buying a new car. Now I need to put the Versa up for sale. :v:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
14 years for me :toot:
I have no idea what I'd do without her though, she goes out of town for a couple days and I more or less fall apart. If we didn't have pets I'd probably unhinge from circadian rhythm completely.
She also really likes cars so :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

GoPro announces a Hero 7 today that looks really cool and I want one and now I am left here thinking about just getting my small iPhone repaired and keeping it forever and going with a Hero 7 for a nice small camera.

Too many neat things and a bank account that pulls me down to reality.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

jonathan posted:

Would you do a thread about this?

I'd be genuinely interested in hearing/seeing all about your truck. Not being in the US, I don't get to see stuff like that.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

KakerMix posted:

14 years for me :toot:
I have no idea what I'd do without her though, she goes out of town for a couple days and I more or less fall apart. If we didn't have pets I'd probably unhinge from circadian rhythm completely.
She also really likes cars so :v:

That is great to hear. Honestly I probably married the person I was meant for but stuff happens. I guess

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

everdave posted:

That is great to hear. Honestly I probably married the person I was meant for but stuff happens. I guess

People change over time, there's nothing wrong with splitting up with someone because they became someone that you no longer wanted to be with, and had no intention of being someone who you'd want to be with

Or in your case, they went insane

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

everdave posted:

I made it 10. I don’t have a point I’m just having a bad day ha

If I knew what I was doing right, I'd tell you, though in your case, I don't think it was anything you did or didn't do. That ship sailed right into Crazy Cove.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Darchangel posted:

If I knew what I was doing right, I'd tell you, though in your case, I don't think it was anything you did or didn't do. That ship sailed right into Crazy Cove.

If she hadnt Spit in my Face I would have never told her to get out. I could take her hitting me I can take a punch or 12. Anyways it is nice to be able to post some stuff sometime.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

everdave posted:

If she hadnt Spit in my Face I would have never told her to get out. I could take her hitting me I can take a punch or 12. Anyways it is nice to be able to post some stuff sometime.

Some people pay extra for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

spog posted:

Would you do a thread about this?

I'd be genuinely interested in hearing/seeing all about your truck. Not being in the US, I don't get to see stuff like that.

I'm not in the US either but yeah I'll make a content thread pretty quickly. As far as north American commercial trucks go, it's nothing special, but in Canada we commonly haul a lot more weight than in the USA. It's about the heaviest you'll see short of very special permit stuff.

• Locked thread