Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

xylo posted:

If they can make it not bad I'm sure they will.

So, no. It's a fundamentally ill-advised feature.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
How about just making a drat native tabbed file explorer, rather than some all-singing all-dancing everything tabs that's gonna break half of the programs and be completely pointless for the other half that already have their own tabs. Is that too much to ask?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Klyith posted:

How about just making a drat native tabbed file explorer, rather than some all-singing all-dancing everything tabs that's gonna break half of the programs and be completely pointless for the other half that already have their own tabs. Is that too much to ask?

If I was Microsoft I'd probably be getting the UWP file explorer going to put multiple tabs in it.

I hope they realize it still also needs to be multi-paned, and there's no excuse for it to not also be multi-window capable.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

If I was Microsoft I'd probably be getting the UWP file explorer going to put multiple tabs in it.

I hope they realize it still also needs to be multi-paned, and there's no excuse for it to not also be multi-window capable.

You just know they're gonna make it single window only like the UWP settings app.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Geemer posted:

You just know they're gonna make it single window only like the UWP settings app.

With font size 20 for the filenames and all the whitespace you could ever want.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

With font size 20 for the filenames and all the whitespace you could ever want.

And no way to show file extensions.

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Is anyone using Edge as their primary browser?

When it originally came out I was honestly impressed. Pages loaded incredibly quick and even beat Chrome as if they were stored local to my pc. Now, it's just slow but in the normal sense as in you see a progress bar slowly increasing from 0% to 100%. It's slow and unresponsive as in there's isn't even an indication that pages have completely loaded. Opening links seems to bog down the browser and even switching between tabs is kind of a chore.

Chrome doesn't have any of these issues and I don't care if it using gobs of memory - memory is a commodity at this point in devices.

What happen?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Tab8715 posted:

When it originally came out I was honestly impressed. Pages loaded incredibly quick and even beat Chrome as if they were stored local to my pc. Now, it's just slow but in the normal sense as in you see a progress bar slowly increasing from 0% to 100%. It's slow and unresponsive as in there's isn't even an indication that pages have completely loaded. Opening links seems to bog down the browser and even switching between tabs is kind of a chore.

Chrome doesn't have any of these issues and I don't care if it using gobs of memory - memory is a commodity at this point in devices.

What happen?

Only old people who think that internet explorer is "the internet" use edge.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The worst thing about Edge is that it lags all the time when entering text. Never happens with Chrome or Firefox.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I use Edge, and I've had the exact opposite experience. When it came out it could load maybe ten tabs before dying on its arse; nowadays it is as smooth as butter.

If you're having performance issues, there are some reset/refresh options for it under Apps & Features in Settings, just click on Edge and select advanced options.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've gone through the basic delete the cache and reset setting to default. It does seems a little better but it's nowhere near as flawless as Chrome.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Firefox has gotten really good again, too.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
I also use Edge as my personal browser and it's fine.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I use Edge, and I've had the exact opposite experience. When it came out it could load maybe ten tabs before dying on its arse; nowadays it is as smooth as butter.

If you're having performance issues, there are some reset/refresh options for it under Apps & Features in Settings, just click on Edge and select advanced options.

Same. Also, install the uBlock Origin extension to nuke the dozens of pointless add/tracking scripts that are most likely causing the page to run slowly in the first place.
I use Edge as my primary browser, but Chrome for pinned sites (because MS hasn't gotten around to making pinned sites open in their own Edge taskbar icon yet) and filing my tax returns (because I live in a stupid country where the online tax site uses flash, and its flash detection refuses to pick up Edge's built-in plugin).

mystes
May 31, 2006

beuges posted:

(because I live in a stupid country where the online tax site uses flash, and its flash detection refuses to pick up Edge's built-in plugin).
They really need to work on that ASAP. It's going to get increasingly difficult to run flash in the near future and it's supposed to be fully deprecated by the end of 2020. You're probably going to have to specifically enable it or run special browser versions (I think the normal version of firefox is going to drop it) by some time next year.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Things like the OS level autocorrect can slow down text input. Chrome & FF don't use it so you wouldn't notice it there. Also Grammarly is pretty bad.

Also just use Firefox

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Speaking of Firefox, why the hell does mine have such a hard time playing gifv/webm/mp4 embeds? 90% of the time it either doesn't play or has vertical bands of greens and reds and blues, so I have to copy the URL and put it into Chrome.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Tab8715 posted:

What happen?

The Shaggar signal has been lit.

mystes
May 31, 2006

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

The Shaggar signal has been lit.
He's probably still using Internet Explorer when he's not busy reinterpreting bicycle-related road signage in YOSPOS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Edge is fine but I am all married to googles crap now. For shame.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I have to use Firefox on my phone because you can't get uBlock Origin on mobile Chrome for some reason. Chrome for the desktop, though. I have 16 GB of RAM so its memory hunger isn't an issue.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Ofecks posted:

I have to use Firefox on my phone because you can't get uBlock Origin on mobile Chrome for some reason. Chrome for the desktop, though. I have 16 GB of RAM so its memory hunger isn't an issue.

Brave Browser on the phone is basically chrome with ublock built in.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Ofecks posted:

Samsung Internet is Chrome, but with ad-blocking support. It's available on the Play Store for all devices, not just Samsung phones.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

On mobile, I like Firefox Focus for reducing tracking/ads for quick browsing and Safari with content blocker(s) for anything worth saving for more than a session.

Firefox with uBlock Origin on desktop, naturally.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does mobile Firefox still have gaaaaaarbage slowwwww flick scrolling?

Webviews on Android just scroll normally by default, it's like they intentionally made it like dragging the page through tar

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, or if I should take this to the Haus of Tech Support, but here goes:

I'm having trouble migrating my Windows 10 partition from a 1 TB BIOS + MBR drive to a 4 TB UEFI + GPT drive. So far, my steps have been as follows:

1. Set up EFI partition on new drive, which has GPT enabled.
2. Copy over windows parition
3. Boot with windows recovery drive, go to command line
4. Use diskpart to mount the EFI parition as S:
5. Type "bcdboot C:\Windows /s S: /f UEFI". It says the installation files were set up successfully.

However, when I try to boot, it shows the windows logo with a spinning circle of dots and then goes to a black screen. Moving the cursor reveals the cursor and a "waiting" logo, but nothing seems to happen even when I let it run for a half hour or more.

Any ideas? If it helps, I have also copied over a Linux partition which seems to work just fine in the UEFI + GPT setup (after some finagling with GRUB). For the windows partition, I have tried both booting through GRUB and straight from the Windows Boot Manager.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Do you have all the required partitions created for UEFI?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

Make sure the MSR and Recovery partitions are there.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010
When I migrated my Windows 7 install from MBR to GPT I ended up with an install that worked more or less, but was unable to update to 10. And the one time I tried to hibernate, it corrupted its boot settings and became unable to start until carefully repaired.

So I guess what I'm saying is "good luck".

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Just clone the disk over to new hdd, expand it to fill the whole disk, run mbr2gpt.

Not sure about the order but windows 10 has a built in converter tool which should set up everything. When I upgraded from mbr bios disk windows 8 to 10 windows didn't even ask anything, it just set up all the partitions etc and converted it to gpt uefi whatever.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Sep 20, 2018

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Thanks everyone.

Stanley Pain posted:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/configure-uefigpt-based-hard-drive-partitions

I don't have all of those required partitions, good catch. I'll try this tonight, and if that doesn't work, I'll wipe the new drive and try this:

Ihmemies posted:

Just clone the disk over to new hdd, expand it to fill the whole disk, run mbr2gpt.

Not sure about the order but windows 10 has a built in converter tool which should set up everything. When I upgraded from mbr bios disk windows 8 to 10 windows didn't even ask anything, it just set up all the partitions etc and converted it to gpt uefi whatever.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

baka kaba posted:

Does mobile Firefox still have gaaaaaarbage slowwwww flick scrolling?

Webviews on Android just scroll normally by default, it's like they intentionally made it like dragging the page through tar

Not really a Windows question but as of a month ago yes 100%

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

I just tested that on mine... seems plenty fast?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Stanley Pain posted:

Yup, this was the problem. I got it working after following the instructions in these two links. Thanks!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

This isn't precisely on the thread's topic, but I think it's close enough and I can't find a better place: is there a good Excel tutorial that y'all can recommend? I'm trying to brush up on it over the weekend, and there's roughly eighteen billion of them online that all seem to have dubious value.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

This might be the place for it anyway, but we have a thread of sorts

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Not really a Windows question but as of a month ago yes 100%

All them drat flags you can change but not this! Maybe they want everyone's thumbs to get ripped as hell

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What happened here

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Jewel Repetition posted:

What happened here

Looks like the computer powered off. :rimshot:

On a serious note, a quick search suggests that a Windows Store app may be responsible.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

My business is small, so our setup is super basic. As of today (or maybe a few days, but I'm sure it's only recently) my PC will only get a fraction of the speed of anything else connected to the network. No fancy firewalls, just a Comcast gateway that I have access to and appears to be default and not flagged my machine for any particular reason. There's a smart switch I'm trying to get access to as well (I tend to handle most in house IT hiccups, anything beyond my abilities gets outsourced) that only got installed yesterday, however I'm getting the same issue when I connect via ethernet or over 2.4 and 5ghz, which would bypass it. I can sit in the same spot with my phone and pull down way more over the wireless.

So I'm guessing it's something to do with Windows. Comcast engineer was pulling 170mbit on my ethernet cable, other people in the building see around 60mbit down, I'm currently hitting 4-5mbit. Upstream is fine, I'm maxing the connection at 20mbit. Anything obvious I should be looking at? Have both rebooted, cold booted, and I believe there were a few updates that needed running from the last week or so which I let through.

clarification: both ethernet and wifi suck.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 21, 2018

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Check your power plan options to see if your wireless is being set to low power for some reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's a desktop machine, so shouldn't be any issue with power (although I wouldn't put it past Windows to think that there is, so I'll double check to be sure). Have gone through a checklist of things to enable/disable, and nothing has made a difference. It's so odd.