Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

My big issue is the 3 Chumps are just *so* worthless and I don't know what to do. Don't want to send Skritch / Krrk in early, but those scrubs can't accomplish anything. So yea, I guess I just need to hang back and let them come to me.
Keep them in front but just out of reach from the enemy and use them as bait once your main rats are ready in phase 2. I usually use them as support or equip them with shadeglass weapons so they are basically glass cannons if Skritch or Krrrk die. I don't even revive them if I can use the activation for an attack... also, don't charge with Skritch, keep him at distance, upgrade him, use cards for movements and keep attacking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I think this is the deck I was running:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/share...369,372,159,331

Just grabbed the first net deck because I didn't have time to build something myself :shrug:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I think this is the deck I was running:

https://www.underworldsdb.com/share...369,372,159,331

Just grabbed the first net deck because I didn't have time to build something myself :shrug:
Don't use Supremacy, it's hard to score if you are not going for objectives.

Edit: Try this one:
https://www.underworldsdb.com/share...395,410,412,424

Talas fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 18, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'll try that tomorrow.

Advancing Strike confuses me if the "ideal situation" is a long board and turtle round 1, though.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I'll try that tomorrow.

Advancing Strike confuses me if the "ideal situation" is a long board and turtle round 1, though.
Hidden Paths lets you go all the way to get a straggler, usually the leader. With Skritch inspired and upgraded in round 2 or 3, you have a good chance to one-shot Garrek and score more glory with the other cards.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
There’s lots of Skaven info on canyourollacrit.com - check there

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another preview https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/19/sep19warhammer-underworlds-nightvault-new-cards-for-everyonegw-homepage-post-4/

Doesn't say much, just a few numbers, and reassures that wizards can be dealt with.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

https://youtu.be/WBtO-pAXVA4

Ohhhh. Teaser for the new factions

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

I was really expecting the troll and flying squig to be a part of a goblin warband, but a mushroom monster team is fine by me. The night goblins look awesome too with a fanatic and a couple of normal squigs. Definitely getting those two. Probably the sky dorfs too.

Still no lizardmen :smith:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 20, 2018

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Still no Nurgle*

I was just looking over all the AoS Battle tomes yesterday, going over who we might see. I suggested either the Woodelves or the Sea Elves to my coworker and he was like, "No that's dumb. Why would Wood Elves be in an underground city?" Suck it, nerd! :buddy:

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
Was hoping for different warbands, but there's only one Sigmarine faction and at least there are Elves and Goblins!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Hell yeah Aelfs

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

Wow, they are really pushing this! Not that I'm complaining :dance:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

OK so I did another Aggro Skaven game. I got to place boards so I went the long way and turtled. I had Master of War, Escalation, and Alone in the Darkness in my opening hand. Knew I wouldn't score the first two but I was hoping I could get AitD but I did not. Probably should have discarded that opening hand, but I couldn't remember what else I had that might be easy to score.

Round 1 ended 0-1 in favor of the Reavers. Round 2 was also pretty uneventful. By the end of Round 3 it was 6-8 Reavers.

I used Quick Thinker after a previously-wounded Garrek charged Krrk. This put me in range of Garrek, Saek, and Karsus. So Garrek finishes his Charge and kills Krrk.

My activation, I punch out Garrek's lights, play Time Trap and punch out Saek's lights.

His activation, Karsus missed Skritch. I skip, Karsus misses again. Finally my last activation, I swing and miss Karsus as well - causing me to fail to score Denial and ultimately lose the game.

But at least it was actually a game this time, unlike how much I got stomped previously.

That said, I think I still prefer just playing my Orks for Aggro.

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

...Probably should have discarded that opening hand, but I couldn't remember what else I had that might be easy to score...
"Honed Survival Instincts", "Shining Example", "Change of Tactics" or "Ploymaster" are the ones I usually score first round. I have 1/3 of a chance to get at least one, some pretty good odds I think. And yes, I would have discarded that hand without a doubt.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm still running that lovely deck with Supremacy, didn't get a chance to switch to the deck you linked on Tuesday :shrug:

Talas
Aug 27, 2005

Sab669 posted:

I'm still running that lovely deck with Supremacy, didn't get a chance to switch to the deck you linked on Tuesday :shrug:
It's fine, the change of tactics worked better. And well, you will see a lot of difference once you play with the new deck ;)

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Just got my set of Season 1 in the mail. Off to watch learn to play vids on my lunch break. Any blogs/videos/podcasts about strategy, i.e. less "how to play" and more "why this card is good"?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Not that I'm aware of. But in my limited experience, there don't seem to be a lot of... Surprising clever usages of cards that make them good. Like everything is fairly straight forward?

You could try looking at UnderworldsDB and see what cards are popular. If something doesn't make sense then just ask here? :shrug: I know goons in the 40K thread can be pretty salty about people making GBS threads up their very serious topic, but I think this one is slow enough that small discussion like that is fine.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

WerrWaaa posted:

Just got my set of Season 1 in the mail. Off to watch learn to play vids on my lunch break. Any blogs/videos/podcasts about strategy, i.e. less "how to play" and more "why this card is good"?

The official site has a database of deck builds for every warband w/ strategy tips:
https://warhammerunderworlds.com/deck-guides/
including decks of some tournament winners.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
What’s the faction after Tzeentch in the trailer?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Rhaegar posted:

What’s the faction after Tzeentch in the trailer?

Probably the rumored new Slaves to Darkness/Chaos Mortals/Darkoath Barbarians, that are based off the malign portents model:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

It'd be cool to have Chaos folks that aren't Khornemen or Daemons.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What is Malign Portents? I've never heard of it. Google it and found https://malignportents.com/ but...?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It was an AoS event expansion, I think it was focused on Nagash doing something big and codifying the Death factions.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Sab669 posted:

What is Malign Portents? I've never heard of it. Google it and found https://malignportents.com/ but...?

In short, campaign event to lead into AoS 2nd edition. Nagash started messing with the way Souls flow into the afterlife in a bid for ultimate power and each faction sending champions to go stop him. Ultimately Nagash won but didn’t become all mighty thanks to the Skaven throwImg a wrench in the works. Now magic’a all hosed up and other gods are finding it harder to claim souls.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

Sab669 posted:

OK so I did another Aggro Skaven game. I got to place boards so I went the long way and turtled. I had Master of War, Escalation, and Alone in the Darkness in my opening hand. Knew I wouldn't score the first two but I was hoping I could get AitD but I did not. Probably should have discarded that opening hand, but I couldn't remember what else I had that might be easy to score.

If you can't score 2+ of the opening objectives in the first turn, Mulligan that hand.

If you can't score 2+ of the objectives in your entire deck in the first turn, rewrite your deck list.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What do you guys think about Commanding Reach?

I was just speculating whether a card which gives +Range might exist in Nightvault, then I wondered if such a card existed already (this has happened to me a few times :v:)

Given the Leader Only restriction, I think Distraction / Sidestep is overall better, but CR offers a few benefits:

Protection from Fiend's abilities to punch you back, My Turn, and other Reactions. It also lets you attack "the back row" if there are opponents blocking the way.

Down side is that Blocked Hexes break LOS, so you can't punch over walls (whereas sometimes a Push might let you get the right angle to make an attack). And of course it's Leader Only.

But could you imagine their surprise thinking they're safe from Gurzag or Fjul and then you whip that out?

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

I'm still not a fan of the Leader cards. They're too situational - I was at a tournament on Saturday and every time I wanted to use Tyrant's Command, it'd be on my Leader.

My tournament placing was pretty bad - I lost the first game 2-0 due to completely forgetting how to set up as Farstriders, and some awful luck meant I'd lose 1+ models to Reavers in the first turn. I won two other games 2-0 but lost one more 2-1. This last match I had great dice for the first game, and then probably the worst dice I've had in any game for the following two. I lost one game 21-2, and only scored the 2 because of Alone in the Dark! This glory difference pushed me FAAAR down the rankings and boosted my opponent into the final, which was pretty gutting. First time I've had anybody get 20+ glory from me.

This was supposed to be practice for the UK Team Championships in a few weeks. I'm looking to tweak my deck slightly (and definitely ditch Tyrant's Command) and as tempting as it is to change to Spooky Bois, I'll stick with Farstriders because I've actually started painting them.

Still, I won some of the OP season 2 and 3 kit - it's just a shame I've got so much alt art for cards I never use!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

How do Team Championships work in Shadespire? Do you play a 4-person game but it's 2v2 with 4 boards and everything?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
Is there any point at all in getting the shade spire box now that nightvault is out?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Solemn Sloth posted:

Is there any point at all in getting the shade spire box now that nightvault is out?
You still get two warbands, a bunch of generic cards, and two double-sided boards. Even if you buy Night Vault too, the spare cards are great for running multiple decks and the original boards are different from the ones in Night Vault.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They're going nuts with the releases! https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/09/30/next-week-warbands-and-warhounds/

Moonclan and Tzeentch, Reavers and Steelheart's repackaged, and a small box of the new cards that come with Reavers and Steelheart's are coming out in a few weeks.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I may buy the new steelhearts as my severin could do with a rebuild, I gave head swaps to the whole team and it now looks weird that he’s the only one carrying a helmet.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Holy crap... offering the new cards separately as well? GW doing sensible moves? What timeline is this? What dark price do we have to pay?

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Also, look a those dice on the Moonclan picture! They're the greatest ever!

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I kinda wish they weren't coming out 2 weeks after the core set but it's not like I was going to get everything painted as it came out anyway

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
I forget to mention. gently caress, those tzeench demons are cool.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm glad to see the shadespire line remaining uniformly fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
The grots have nine models when boards only have 7 starting hexes. I bet the two squigs have a special starting rule that they start in adjacent hexes to the squigherd.