Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Brought To You By posted:

2 solar systems god royally hosed by losing the gravitational center, and heat source.

In a war where that left planets without suns in the first place I'm willing to bet there were at least two suns that were just being the gravitational center and heat source of jack poo poo by the time Solomon David got his 111111 universes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Remember that "universes" includes Allison's universe, which is identical to ours save for a shocking lack of Australia. It's a really big place that can probably spare a couple otherwise unaccompanied suns, and there's nothing saying Sol Dave doesn't have a few of those universes kicking around.

Of course what he probably actually did is take the suns of a couple different purely heliocentric universes, the centerpiece and source of all of their little pocket of creation, and used those to light his homeworld.

Two of them, even, because he's Solomon David, and gently caress you.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ThaumPenguin posted:

Both he and his rival (The Vlad Tepes-lookalike) were already demiurges, IIRC the seven keys are a consolidation of the 777,777 keys that already existed, each for one universe

Mottom just cut her husband's throat; the demiurges are still as mortal as anyone if you catch them unprepared, they're just extremely good at fightan and can gently caress you up if they see it coming. There's a reason there's no longer thousands of them

Hence, Solomon choreographing the terms his would-be "successors" challenge him on so he will always see them coming. Formal single combat with him is basically, he sits across the arena with a shotgun already leveled at you and tells you to come and take it from him. To demonstrate his fair-mindedness.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Sep 20, 2018

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Phy posted:

Remember that "universes" includes Allison's universe, which is identical to ours save for a shocking lack of Australia.

wait what

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it was a throw-away joke made in response to a question... on tumblr, i think?
so of course it's now 100% canon

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Mottom just cut her husband's throat; the demiurges are still as mortal as anyone if you catch them unprepared, they're just extremely good at fightan and can gently caress you up if they see it coming. There's a reason there's no longer thousands of them

Hence, Solomon choreographing the terms his would-be "successors" challenge him on so he will always see them coming. Formal single combat with him is basically, he sits across the arena with a shotgun already leveled at you and tells you to come and take it from him. To demonstrate his fair-mindedness.

He also tells his sons to come at him whenever they want.
Solomon David isn't just operating on the most basic tyrannous level, and I trust he'll be just as awful and have as much complexity as Mottom or Mammon. If not more, since he'll have more time to develop.

Unless Gog-Agog steals the show.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Solomon David is exactly what he says he is - a benevolent dictator, and the point is benevolent dictators are still really awful.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I mean, yeah, Solomon is absolutely not trying to tilt the field in his favour. He openly invited his sons to Julius Caesar him, and formal matches only last until someone draws blood from him or yields (or dies, I guess). I think it’s safe to assume that while he’s not functionally invulnerable like Mammon or Jagganoth, he’s considerably less killable than, say, Mottom or Incubus.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Solomon David is exactly what he says he is - a benevolent dictator, and the point is benevolent dictators are still really awful.
Empty quotin' this again, it's really weird how people need a dictator to be malevolent or vicious in order for them to say 'yeah actually tyrants are bad.'

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Empty quotin' this again, it's really weird how people need a dictator to be malevolent or vicious in order for them to say 'yeah actually tyrants are bad.'

Even Solomon Davis says he wants to give it up because its bad.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
[slaps side of barista] this bad boy can decapitate so many tyrants

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Allison hasn't 'won' against any demiurges. She killed Mottom's tree and was almost murdered for it. Mammon was so unconcerned that he presented to her. Incubus has a faustian bargain hanging over her head.

She's more likely to be Solomon David's slave by the end of this chapter than she is to beat him in a fight.

A Single Sphink
Feb 10, 2004

COMICS CRIMINAL

She left Mottom a crying heap at the end of their first confrontation, despite being exsanguinated. This is a setting in which a wise frog can own someone by getting killed by them, victories can be sideways as gently caress.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

AtomikKrab posted:

Even Solomon Davis says he wants to give it up because its bad.
Solomon David got to "only the worst kind of idiot strives to be king" in Meti's Sword Manual and went "so if I don't want it..."

the venn diagram between close to enlightenment and not enlightened at all is a loving circlevaguely wheel shaped.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Darth Walrus posted:

I mean, yeah, Solomon is absolutely not trying to tilt the field in his favour. He openly invited his sons to Julius Caesar him, and formal matches only last until someone draws blood from him or yields (or dies, I guess). I think it’s safe to assume that while he’s not functionally invulnerable like Mammon or Jagganoth, he’s considerably less killable than, say, Mottom or Incubus.

He's not trying to tilt the field because he's afraid of losing and wants to cheat, but he absolutely is tilting the field because he has the power to set the conditions of the field and has made it all about his fantasy of absolute mastery and absolute control. He might challenge his 70-year-old kids to fight him to win an argument but he doesn't have Allison's parade of fools coming at him 24/7 for a reason and that reason sure as hell isn't just they know Solomon personally is a pretty good fighter or everybody loves him so much; if the Haberdasher's Guild sends an assassin in the night he's not going "well, fair enough, here's your Key of Kings".

Everything we've seen about how the Demiurges wield their power has shown that to them the Key is basically just a fancy gun. Sure, you can blow a whole city away with it, but it takes a conscious act of will, it's not passively protecting you from poo poo you don't know about, and behind it you're still just a fragile human made of tasty meat. It's the job of their empires and armies to keep them safe from assailants, because that's not a matter of just having good enough kung fu and telekinesis. "Come and take it" sounds grand as a bit of boasting but in practice it'd mean a life of constant vigilance from a knife in every shadow and in short order not having to worry about running the kingdom anymore, absolutely not just parading around among his people flexing for them all on his lonesome for centuries. That's the scene he's set because it looks cool and plays to his ego as the universally beloved absolutely powerful king of everything, but from an outside perspective it makes the lie obvious.

Again, the whole thing with the colosseum crew. It's a script that'd look real loving good if Solomon was some wandering hero of legend coming along righting wrongs and rebuking cruel masters as he finds them, but the masters are his employees on his personal pet project and there is no possible universe in which he didn't personally order those wrongs in the first place. It sure as poo poo wasn't his sergeant who was responsible for banning any other more effective means to make giant vanity monuments and then commissioning one.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Sep 20, 2018

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Comrade Gorbash posted:

Joe Slowboat posted:

“Whoever had created humanity had left in a major design flaw. It was its tendency to bend at the knees.”

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Agreed. Legs shoulda bent backwards at the knees. Also I would like another set of thumbs next to my pinkies too, that'd be real nice.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

So I was doing a full K6BD re-read and I noticed something. In the most recent strip, we're given Soloman David's intro as...

Kill Six Billion Demons posted:

Solomon David
God-Emperor of the Celestial Empire
and Grand Master of Ki Rata.

....and I'd just seen that.

If you look at the big map of the Shades, you can see in the upper left corner of the third panel the following:

Kill Six Billion Demons posted:

Old Monk's Tower
He is the Guardian of the Green Space in the 17th District
And one of the last living practitioners of Ki Rata.
He lives alone in his tower and many come to him for advice.

Full Sized Version

In that Alli and company are hanging out in Throne, could well be that they may end up talking to the Old Monk, perhaps?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
iirc somebody asked abbadon what their regard for each other was and he said mortal enemies insofar as they bother to be aware of the others existence

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I think part of the point of Ki Rata is throwing down with other people who practice Ki Rata, because Highlander.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

wiegieman posted:

I think part of the point of Ki Rata is throwing down with other people who practice Ki Rata, because Highlander.
And suddwnly this went from a cool martial arts I know nothing about to an amazing martial arts I know nothing about.

Boron_the_Moron
Apr 28, 2013

Tollymain posted:

iirc somebody asked abbadon what their regard for each other was and he said mortal enemies insofar as they bother to be aware of the others existence

I imagine the Old Monk is well aware of Solomon David, given that he's one of the seven rulers of the entire universe, and has an embassy in the district right next door to the Old Monk's tower.

Also, reading over that page again, I noticed the description of Dragonsgate in the upper right of the 4th panel. I love how seemingly everything in the Kill Six Billion Demons-verse has a cult of fanatical warrior monks devoted to it. :allears:

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013
Have you guys ever even seen a kung fu film? SoDa wiped out the Ki Rata temple* after attaining mastery because he didn't want a bunch of potential challengers being trained up only someone as responsible as he should weild such power. One old monk survives who could maaaaybe train a young hero to challenge him.

*Ki Rata was certainly practiced by an order of monks in a temple on top of a mountain

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Magnus Manfist posted:

Have you guys ever even seen a kung fu film? SoDa wiped out the Ki Rata temple* after attaining mastery because he didn't want a bunch of potential challengers being trained up only someone as responsible as he should weild such power. One old monk survives who could maaaaybe train a young hero to challenge him.

*Ki Rata was certainly practiced by an order of monks in a temple on top of a mountain

Yeah, I would bet on Allison training here. Especially since it's near where we last saw them headed - the Red City. Plus, Gog-Agog has a 'Paradise Dome' shopping center within walking distance of the Old Monk, which would be amazing.

More shopping trips and awkward White Chain/Nyave dates plz Abaddon

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
So not only is Ki Rata like Hamon and it's how Solomon has attained immortality. But it's also why he only has sons? For his next trick he's going to pull a pigeon out of a random woman's mouth.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Bas d on the last couple pages, I wonder if the people of the Celestial Empire reproduce like the barbarians in Oglaf.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
How many of his sons has Solomon-David taught Ki Rata? Or would he reserve it for students who aren’t related?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kai Tave posted:

Also I'm mad at myself that it took until I was falling asleep last night for me to get the joke that the sun literally never sets on Solomon David's empire.

...aw, man.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He's not trying to tilt the field because he's afraid of losing and wants to cheat, but he absolutely is tilting the field because he has the power to set the conditions of the field and has made it all about his fantasy of absolute mastery and absolute control. He might challenge his 70-year-old kids to fight him to win an argument but he doesn't have Allison's parade of fools coming at him 24/7 for a reason and that reason sure as hell isn't just they know Solomon personally is a pretty good fighter or everybody loves him so much; if the Haberdasher's Guild sends an assassin in the night he's not going "well, fair enough, here's your Key of Kings".

Everything we've seen about how the Demiurges wield their power has shown that to them the Key is basically just a fancy gun. Sure, you can blow a whole city away with it, but it takes a conscious act of will, it's not passively protecting you from poo poo you don't know about, and behind it you're still just a fragile human made of tasty meat. It's the job of their empires and armies to keep them safe from assailants, because that's not a matter of just having good enough kung fu and telekinesis. "Come and take it" sounds grand as a bit of boasting but in practice it'd mean a life of constant vigilance from a knife in every shadow and in short order not having to worry about running the kingdom anymore, absolutely not just parading around among his people flexing for them all on his lonesome for centuries. That's the scene he's set because it looks cool and plays to his ego as the universally beloved absolutely powerful king of everything, but from an outside perspective it makes the lie obvious.

Again, the whole thing with the colosseum crew. It's a script that'd look real loving good if Solomon was some wandering hero of legend coming along righting wrongs and rebuking cruel masters as he finds them, but the masters are his employees on his personal pet project and there is no possible universe in which he didn't personally order those wrongs in the first place. It sure as poo poo wasn't his sergeant who was responsible for banning any other more effective means to make giant vanity monuments and then commissioning one.

Do remember that he’s a super-strong practitioner of the greatest martial art in the universe (which can make you immortal with breathing techniques, among other things) who’s been in charge for centuries, so I think it entirely plausible that all the ambushes and assassinations died down after a few decades of knives bouncing off his steely abs and poison getting merrily chugged down with no effect, and that he instituted the tournament system as an easier, less messy, and generally more attractive option for would-be usurpers because while the attempts to murder him weren’t hurting, they were causing a disagreeable amount of collateral damage.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 21, 2018

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Better to wreck one place every year than have it happening every time he goes down to the market.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
me, paternum chad with many large adult sons: it is with a heavy heart that i announce i must continue to be your swole daddy for another kalpa
you, incel barista with a chunk of cosmic power shoved into your skull: counterpoint - im drunk as gently caress and have no idea what im doing

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
this thread inspires the most esoteric shitposts

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the field is literally tilted because a god at the dawn of time decided he didnt like the angle of the universe and found a lever 2 billion miles long.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
the sanctioned action is to get wasted at a party and bind an element of primal chaos to be your eternal bodyguard by accident

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

the sanctioned action is to get wasted at a party and bind an element of primal chaos to be your eternal bodyguard by accident

A typical royal Saturday night.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I love how this thread has just become 'dunk on Solomon D for ten pages'.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
gonna laugh if he ends up basically being the best of the lot and actually was morally justified

this broken hill
Apr 10, 2018

by Lowtax
swolomon

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Grognan posted:

gonna laugh if he ends up basically being the best of the lot and actually was morally justified

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Grognan posted:

Pre-emptive :godwin: