Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.
Look, I fight with my family about Cash’s cover at pretty much every gathering. I’m not going to drag you into it; I’m just going to respect your craft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

trent reznor has said in interviews that the song now belongs to johnny cash, he made it into what it was supposed to be

like just the difference between "i wear this crown of poo poo" (childish, angsty, stupid) and "i wear this crown of thorns" (powerful, spiritual, heart-wrenching) says it all really

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Similarly, Kurt Cobain's is the version of The Man Who Sold the World.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I disagree but it's a good cover.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I am now drunk, listening to At Folsom Prison and weeping. thanks Fruit Bottom

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i like the highwaymen song where johnny cash sings about flying through space

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Alaois posted:

i like the highwaymen song where johnny cash sings about flying through space

The Highwaymen song you are thinking of is Highwayman: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkcAH-m9W0

You also really, really need to listen to Silver Stallion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngWVx61yMo

Edit: Under no circumstances should you read Kris Kristofferson’s biography, unless you really want to feel like a useless sack of poo poo who has wasted your life. It’s Dolph Lundgren-levels of making you feel inadequate, and then some.

Veni Vidi Ameche! has a new favorite as of 05:54 on Sep 20, 2018

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

i was about to make a post about hallelujah but then i remembered madeline peyroux's version of dance me to the end of love and now i'm so angry i can't see

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just like with Hurt, the famous cover and the original are both good.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Fun fact: Kurt Cobain sucks

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

rodbeard posted:

Fun fact: Kurt Cobain sucks

Sucked.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Both barrels.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Edit: Under no circumstances should you read Kris Kristofferson’s biography, unless you really want to feel like a useless sack of poo poo who has wasted your life.
hah, I beat that obstacle to the punch

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

That wacky he man version of whats going on is way better than the original

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

The Highwaymen song you are thinking of is Highwayman: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aFkcAH-m9W0

You also really, really need to listen to Silver Stallion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tngWVx61yMo

Edit: Under no circumstances should you read Kris Kristofferson’s biography, unless you really want to feel like a useless sack of poo poo who has wasted your life. It’s Dolph Lundgren-levels of making you feel inadequate, and then some.

The best version of Highwayman will always be Glenn Campbell singing it with an orchestra backing him up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iaeGfMeSKX0

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

goons posted:

[the entire last page]

Hihohe posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

the best Highwaymen song is American Remains, bar none. Highwayman is a good song, but American Remains is goddamn powerful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8Q0sX2cv-Q

as for great forum quotes, have this hot banger from the trump thread after Toad From Mario Kart was ruined forever

kidkissinger posted:

Personally, I'd describe my dick more as a Waluigi.

Reik posted:

Not included in any Smash?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hihohe posted:

That's true.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

What is it with India and putting photos of random people in images that are otherwise supposed to look official?

the "random man" is Narendra Modi, the Prime Minister of India

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Soiled Meat

Sagebrush posted:

like just the difference between "i wear this crown of poo poo" (childish, angsty, stupid)

Or it's really really funny, if you picture it? It's all about perspective.

Btw Pat Boone's rendition of Smells like teen spirit is definitive fite me irl

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Wanda Jackson's cover of "You Know That I'm No Good" is one of the only covers I wholeheartedly approve of.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I have a covers thread with a bunch of great ones:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3757063

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Sagebrush posted:

trent reznor has said in interviews that the song now belongs to johnny cash, he made it into what it was supposed to be

like just the difference between "i wear this crown of poo poo" (childish, angsty, stupid) and "i wear this crown of thorns" (powerful, spiritual, heart-wrenching) says it all really

Definitive version is Kermit's.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I wonder if Kurt Cobain had lived he would be anything other than another lovely early 90s singer that people are too embarrassed to admit that they used to listen to. It's kind of like rebel without a cause for a new generation. It's an overdramatic pile of poo poo from somebody a little too old for teen angst that's somehow above criticism because someone died.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

rodbeard posted:

I wonder if Kurt Cobain had lived he would be anything other than another lovely early 90s singer that people are too embarrassed to admit that they used to listen to. It's kind of like rebel without a cause for a new generation. It's an overdramatic pile of poo poo from somebody a little too old for teen angst that's somehow above criticism because someone died.

Nah, he'd be like any aging rocker that's just sort of lame and still tours and just plays the hits because the audience is 40 or older and don't want anything new.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Breetai posted:

Both barrels.

Did he actually use a side by side? What kind of tool tries to cram that in their mouth, worried you'll miss with the first shot? Jfk a lovely pump is like $100 in 1992 money and its not like he was worried about resale value. I mean think people uhg!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Outrail posted:

Did he actually use a side by side? What kind of tool tries to cram that in their mouth, worried you'll miss with the first shot? Jfk a lovely pump is like $100 in 1992 money and its not like he was worried about resale value. I mean think people uhg!

Nah it was a semi auto.

But the joke reads better with this minor inaccuracy.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

spog posted:

Nah it was a semi auto.

But the joke reads better with this minor inaccuracy.

Why the gently caress would you use a semi auto? Uhg!

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Wow you really owned that guy who blew his head off in like 93.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Outrail posted:

Why the gently caress would you use a semi auto? Uhg!

They have better resale value.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

It doesn't matter what it is, if a famous person commits suicide with it, I guarantee there's somebody out there ghoulish enough to spend several thousand dollars on it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bertrand Hustle posted:

It doesn't matter what it is, if a famous person commits suicide with it, I guarantee there's somebody out there ghoulish enough to spend several thousand dollars on it.

If murderabilia is a thing then I guarantee that is too.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMir6nI5Oc

totally better than the original

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Bertrand Hustle posted:

So would you buy this if you were a superfan or if you really, really didn't like the artist?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

spog posted:

So would you buy this if you were a superfan or if you really, really didn't like the artist?

Yes.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

spog posted:

Mark David Chapman was a Beatles fan.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bertrand Hustle posted:

Mark David Chapman was a Beatles fan.

Yeah but Courtney Love hated Nirvana

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah but Courtney Love hated Nirvana

Killing her boyfriend was taking it too far, though. She could have easily pulled a Yoko Ono, instead.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

billy corgan killed kurt cobain because he thought he was a lizardman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
BRB writing a video game where you play the murderers of famous musicians but you’re the good guy because they’re secretly lizard people