Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

mastershakeman posted:

They legitimately need to just change the rules so being in the grasp is an immediate whistle for qb. No more big hits, just grab their jersey and it's a sack

QB's will just start flopping and we'll have soccer levels of horseshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I guess there's nothing really stopping soccer levels of grabbing the opponent's arm and hitting yourself in the face with it but the good thing about the nfl's miles of legislature about body part contact and years of history about being tough is that it's really hard to flop on a legitimate hit and the onus is on the player getting hit in the stomach to get back up.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

SKULL.GIF posted:

IMO when the league's best quarterback says it's a garbage call and a garbage rule the NFL should start listening.

I'm totally over the tie now, it's in the past. This isn't me griping about the calls.

That said, if the referees are going to flag loving sacking the quarterback going forward and if we're going to see more players pull up out of a surefire sack because they're afraid of being penalized, and if we keep seeing 20+ quarterbacks get 100+ passer ratings in any given week? I think that seriously loving damages the game and makes me much less excited about watching any particular game. I want to see Khalil Mack annihilate quarterbacks and not have to go "But was it penalized?" after every hit. I don't want to see injured quarterbacks but I think the NFL has definitely gone way too loving far with this poo poo.

Wait....I'm missing something. That quote was from Aaron Rodgers...not Patrick Mahomes. I thought you said it was the league's best quarterback?

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Why would they flop if it means the play is over and they gave up a sack?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

mastershakeman posted:

Yeah , him and Ben and cam

All sacks should just look like this
https://twitter.com/Raiders/status/932368513859141632

Players stay safe , sacks probably increase, all in all a good thing

This would be called roughing the passer by this season's standards. Mack landed right on top of Brady with most of his body weight.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

Why would they flop if it means the play is over and they gave up a sack?

Get grabbed about to take sack, flop and hope for roughing the passer which they'll call.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

QB's should protect themselves and throw the ball away or get down if a defender is running free at them. Don't be stupid and you don't take a bone crushing hit has worked for ages, and this horseshit is only happening now because Aaron Rodgers refused to protect himself.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

hifi posted:

My best idea is some kind of heavy velcro tennis ball thing you can yank off of the qb to down him in the pocket in addition to the heavy roughing the passer rules.

Congratulations, you've just added the Golden Snitch to football.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

But Rodgers also doesn’t like the change. So its extremely obvious it’s not a change for the players’
benefit. gently caress that.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I mean it kind of is, the issue is that you are trying to enforce the principles for the first time on men who have played the game for 15 years.

If this rule were implemented in high school and college, we would see players make sense of it in a decade.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

Kalli posted:

this horseshit is only happening now because Aaron Rodgers refused to protect himself.

Also he's 6'2 sub 220 lbs and moves around alot.

Him getting hurt is nothing new but I guess he complained enough for the league to think they needed to do something.

Nov 6, 2002

Kalli posted:

QB's should protect themselves and throw the ball away or get down if a defender is running free at them. Don't be stupid and you don't take a bone crushing hit has worked for ages, and this horseshit is only happening now because Aaron Rodgers refused to protect himself.

Maybe Rodgers would have another Lombardi if he just went all gumby like Manning and Brady did for the majority of their career. :smug:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Inspector 34 posted:

This would be called roughing the passer by this season's standards. Mack landed right on top of Brady with most of his body weight.

It's really less about the body weight and more about the "scooping" motion. I don't think that would be called

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Browns are now trying to save face for the poo poo trade by claiming Josh Gordon was out of shape.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/browns-were-frustrated-josh-gordon-was-not-shape

Edit: June

\/\/\/\/

Ches Neckbeard fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 20, 2018

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the famous jacked gordon pic was from a couple months ago right?

Nov 6, 2002

Eh, maybe he wasn't in football shape though. It's not unbelievable for a guy who missed most of training camp and spent most of the off season focusing on staying clean.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

The world just keeps getting dumber.

https://twitter.com/nfl_dovkleiman/status/1042854890400346123?s=21

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

david boston was always in football shape

Nov 6, 2002

jesus christ, what a pig

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

This is incredibly on brand for Ben

Nov 6, 2002

You just sucked Donald Trump's toad dick, gimmie a big wet kiss baby.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Wasn't Ben married by then? Not like it would stop him anyhow

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Eh, it's not that hard tbh...

Bruh at some point you got to just stop answering the questions about the pass rush.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
ok roman reigns

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Browns are now trying to save face for the poo poo trade by claiming Josh Gordon was out of shape.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/browns-were-frustrated-josh-gordon-was-not-shape

quote:

Then, Breer went on to talk about how the Browns used Gordon a lot in the season opener to prove to the receiver that he wasn't in football shape.

Playing a player you think is out of shape to justify cutting him after he hurt his hamstring nearly a week later. Got it.

Acting angry that a sub package technically made that receiver a starter after you said you wouldn't do that.

Browns.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Grittybeard posted:

Playing a player you think is out of shape to justify cutting him after he hurt his hamstring nearly a week later. Got it.

Acting angry that a sub package technically made that receiver a starter after you said you wouldn't do that.

Browns.

Gordon looked real gassed when he dunked on this dude with 2:00 left in the 4th to tie the game.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/can-t-miss-play-josh-gordon-pulls-in-acrobatic-td-catch-to-tie-game

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Tempest_56 posted:

It's not a comeback. We just never stopped wearing them.

Seriously, at some point buffalo just adopted the zubaz style into its game day dress code. Probably because we love to cling to the era it was popular in.

Though i will say New Era released a zubaz bills hat a few years ago which was pretty nice looking

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

sean10mm posted:

Gordon looked real gassed when he dunked on this dude with 2:00 left in the 4th to tie the game.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/video/can-t-miss-play-josh-gordon-pulls-in-acrobatic-td-catch-to-tie-game

Man it's going to be fun with him in New England

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Play posted:

Just push them down or grab their throwing arm and there's no question. It's actually the form tackles that they have a problem with, which is pretty lol. In that case, Cousins was in a so-called "defenseless" posture because he just finished throwing the ball, and Matthews took him to the ground. I don't agree with the call, but next time Matthews should just push him really hard so that he doesn't get called. Another option is kind of dragging him down instead of tackling him down

Pushing them down after the ball is thrown? You can bet that's a roughing the passer flag.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

Pushing them down after the ball is thrown? You can bet that's a roughing the passer flag.

Within a step, so the ball was *just* thrown and it isn't possible to pull up all the way; put the arms out (not necessarily a pushing motion) before you run into the QB.

Another important factor though is free rushes at the QB. Now if you come full speed on a free rush you gotta either knock em down or drag em down, anything that gets weight on them or makes contact with your helmet or hits lot or high or where it might appear that you're scooping them can draw a foul. The only thing left to do is use your arms more than anything else

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Kalli posted:

Yeah, but that sound bite is the only thing anyone wants. A tiny, tiny fraction of fans care about actual analysis, but if they can get a coach to exasperatedly say Playoffs? then they can run that clip for a decade. Like during training camp, assistant coaches / positional coaches give press conferences where they talk through way more detail, but effectively nobody ever quotes one of those for anything.

So yeah, dishonest exercise, which has resulted in Belichick's complete anti-discussion itself become a soundbite.

I feel like most beat writers use those press conferences as a personal teaching lesson to learn about the team's schemes so they can be more knowledgeable when they write. but yeah, it'd be cool to learn more about that in the pre-season, rather than as part of post-game analysis.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Landing on the passer is the new "what is a catch".

The rules are really easy to follow. They're also loving dumb.

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

Primetime posted:

Seriously, at some point buffalo just adopted the zubaz style into its game day dress code. Probably because we love to cling to the era it was popular in.

Though i will say New Era released a zubaz bills hat a few years ago which was pretty nice looking

At one point a while back I considered getting Chiefs zubaz pants ironically, but upon 2 minutes of research figured out they were like $40 which I deemed too much for something I'd wear once or twice. I made the right choice.

Pretty excited to see the Chiefs score 40 again this week. I think the KC / SF game is going to be a track meet.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i want to smoke weed with khalil mack

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
can someone find me some eagles zubaz pants AND windbreaker? Need some out on the town apparel.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Normal person.

https://twitter.com/diannaespn/status/1042916511193739265?s=21

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Asproigerosis posted:

can someone find me some eagles zubaz pants AND windbreaker? Need some out on the town apparel.

Oh you're in luck, if you'll settle for a hoodie instead of a windbreaker you can grab one for 15 bucks right now!

https://zubaz.com/estore/nfl/team/philadelphia-eagles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doesn't really help the child to surrender that game check, though

• Locked thread