Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Yawgmoth posted:

Similarly, I just wanted to make a Zybourne Clock reference.

do loss.jpg next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sion posted:

do loss.jpg next

mlyp

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sion posted:

do loss.jpg next
Imagine four panels on the edge of a cliff. The first moves past it, and heals.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
DAE remember All Your Base. Good times, good times.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:

Splicer posted:

Imagine four panels on the edge of a cliff. The first moves past it, and heals.

:wow:

Now that's some prime mixed meme material.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

Sion posted:

do loss.jpg next

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/qr-rated/qr-rated

Dec 26, 2012

Serf posted:

have we discovered the mythical "listens to ap podcasts but doesn't play games" person yet? i know several people who got into stuff like the adventure zone and then asked me how they could play too. i think that people understand how low the barrier to entry is and they get in that way. i've yet to meet anyone who listens to these podcasts and isn't playing rpgs in some form or fashion or looking to get started

I actually do know someone like that, he knows I play tradgames so he was telling me all about one of them. I think it's more so for the comedy aspect than anything though? I forget which one he listens to.

Who knows though, maybe he does want to secretly and is just too shy to be straight out about it.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

01011001 posted:

I actually do know someone like that, he knows I play tradgames so he was telling me all about one of them. I think it's more so for the comedy aspect than anything though? I forget which one he listens to.

Who knows though, maybe he does want to secretly and is just too shy to be straight out about it.

RPG or boardgame? I definitely know people who listen to RPG podcasts but don't play.

Dec 26, 2012

RPG.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all.

What RPG?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There was something like 12 to 18 months between me listening to Crit Juice, a D&D 4e podcast, and starting to play RPGs, but a big factor was that RPGs weren't readily available in my country, and I didn't know PDFs existed, so it was less "I don't want to play RPGs" so much as me thinking it wasn't even possible in my part of the world.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008
I just saw a bunch of rpg sourcebooks in a bookstore and thought they looked pretty

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
I was addicted to MtG at the time 3e was getting teased and followed the articles from that.

But I think actually I saw a show highlight DnD, asked a friend if he'd heard of it, and tried the Red Box the next day.

e: What would people recs be for this profile:

Favorite Games: Eminent Domain, Mage Knight, Eternal
Respected Games: Dominion, BSG
Favorite Mechanics: Asymmetry, Bluffing, Hand Management
Favorite Themes: High Fantasy (overdone, but easy sell), Cyberpunk, Bizarre, Anthropocentric
Respected Themes: Bizarre
Favorite RPG: Unknown Armies
Respected RPGs: DRYH, Reign, maybe Delta Green
Games I should, but don't like: Battle Con, MtG
I think the reason for those two is I really don't like the idea of learning a meta to become a better player. It's not one of my strengths and I have a lot of trouble forcing myself too. So suggestions on how to improve on that would also be appreciated.

Anniversary fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 21, 2018

Dec 26, 2012

Anniversary posted:

Yeah, that doesn't surprise me at all.

What RPG?

It sounded like some kind of standardish fantasy so probably D&D.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Anniversary posted:

this sounds like someone who needs Gamma World in their life

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

I'm basically a baby to RPGs.
I started cause a friend was running Stars Without Number for some other friends and invited me and another to play.
We then went on (unfortunately) to DnD5e, and the rest is a short history of bouncing to newer and older games before finding a couple we really liked.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this sounds like someone who needs Gamma World in their life

Oh, heh, this person is me. And I was cool with the edition of GW I read a bit and played a bit of, but not crazy about it.

Others have suggested Dogs in the Vineyard, which is definitely something I would want to play, but ... no real opportunity too.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Serf posted:

have we discovered the mythical "listens to ap podcasts but doesn't play games" person yet? i know several people who got into stuff like the adventure zone and then asked me how they could play too. i think that people understand how low the barrier to entry is and they get in that way. i've yet to meet anyone who listens to these podcasts and isn't playing rpgs in some form or fashion or looking to get started

I have several friends/family members like this who are fans of the McElroys and not necessarily gamers. They enjoy it because it's the McElroys, not because it's D&D.

Serf
May 5, 2011

alg posted:

I have several friends/family members like this who are fans of the McElroys and not necessarily gamers. They enjoy it because it's the McElroys, not because it's D&D.

that's cool. i don't see the issue people have with it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Anniversary posted:

I was addicted to MtG at the time 3e was getting teased and followed the articles from that.

But I think actually I saw a show highlight DnD, asked a friend if he'd heard of it, and tried the Red Box the next day.

Favorite Games: Eminent Domain, Mage Knight, Eternal
Respected Games: Dominion, BSG
Favorite Mechanics: Asymmetry, Bluffing, Hand Management
Favorite Themes: High Fantasy (overdone, but easy sell), Cyberpunk, Bizarre, Anthropocentric
Respected Themes: Bizarre
Favorite RPG: Unknown Armies
Respected RPGs: DRYH, Reign, maybe Delta Green
Games I should, but don't like: Battle Con, MtG
I think the reason for those two is I really don't like the idea of learning a meta to become a better player. It's not one of my strengths and I have a lot of trouble forcing myself too. So suggestions on how to improve on that would also be appreciated.

You are looking for Android:Netrunner, a game that is getting pulled from shelves next month. Asymmetric cyberpunk bluffing. The "meta" is kind of a nonissue for two reasons: the packs aren't random so you're never going to be scrambling to make the best of the weird singleton rares you'd otherwise end up with....and as mentioned above it's dying a horrible death so the meta will very likely be your kitchen table anyway. But it's a great game even at that scale.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

food court bailiff posted:

You are looking for Android:Netrunner, a game that is getting pulled from shelves next month. Asymmetric cyberpunk bluffing. The "meta" is kind of a nonissue for two reasons: the packs aren't random so you're never going to be scrambling to make the best of the weird singleton rares you'd otherwise end up with....and as mentioned above it's dying a horrible death so the meta will very likely be your kitchen table anyway. But it's a great game even at that scale.

If you're interested in getting on board, I would get the revised cores from retailers while they're still MSRP and see if you like it. I don't know which way it's going to go but it's possible collections might go up on eBay within a year for a reasonable amount but it's possible that might never happen.

Playing a couple games on jinteki is also an option but I think you need to know the game to play because last time I tried it I don't remember jinteki enforcing any rules.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Serf posted:

i listen to podcasts buy books and read them and dont play because i dont have any friends

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

If you're interested in getting on board, I would get the revised cores from retailers while they're still MSRP and see if you like it. I don't know which way it's going to go but it's possible collections might go up on eBay within a year for a reasonable amount but it's possible that might never happen.

Playing a couple games on jinteki is also an option but I think you need to know the game to play because last time I tried it I don't remember jinteki enforcing any rules.

Worth noting that FFG are now out of stock on absolutely everything Netrunner (3 months ago they had every deluxe expansion and blister pack in stock), so Jinteki/TTS are definitely going to be the way to play this going forward.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
Ooh yeah, I have the Netrunner revised core! I like it, but find the breadth of the meta somewhat overwhelming. I did like core only play though.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i listen to podcasts buy books and read them and dont play because i dont have any friends

try getting into a game on here or starting one yourself. i did that and i've been running campaigns near constantly online for years now

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Try:

Board Games: Doomtown, Pixel Tactics and Gloomhaven
RPGs: Probably Valor (I've only read it, plans to play it but that won't be for a while) and likely Strike!

Your taste seem similar to mine so yeah, I like these games. Doomtown has a western, bizarre, horror thing going on, but I suspect you would especially be interested in the Morgan Cattle Co., and The Fourth Ring. Doomtwon is definitely not for everyone though so maybe look at a video of someone playing it or something to get an idea on if it's for you.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

My podcast just reviews old RPGs and we have a ton of listeners who don't play or read games. It's just entertainment to them. I figure it's similar to how most the fans of true crime stuff aren't small dirt town murderers and don't aspire to be either. Maybe the dream of playing impossibly funny 5e where no one coughs and every line is on point just feels more attainable somehow.

I'm also friends with the hosts of a few medium big APs and it's true, they are really really good DMs, but their house style is usually conducive to just leading an improv group. Like just a lot of avoiding rule checks and just calling for a quick d6 roll before moving on.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Sep 21, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I guess FWIW I used to run our netrunner community around here but since the game's going away I'm getting rid of it. Haven't inventoried my stuff in a while but if any goons are interested just shoot me a PM

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
Wait what's happening to netrunner? A new edition under a different publisher? Lost licence like what happened with games workshop stuff?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Coolness Averted posted:

Wait what's happening to netrunner? A new edition under a different publisher? Lost licence like what happened with games workshop stuff?

The license did not get renewed, so it's going away. Whether or not it ever gets remade, no one has any idea.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

S.J. posted:

The license did not get renewed, so it's going away. Whether or not it ever gets remade, no one has any idea.

There's a theory I've seen that WotC is going to make it again but I think it's just Hasbro screwing over Asmodee. FFG is making an Android universe RPG though.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Anyone have experience with Penndragon 5th edition? It’s on Bundle of Holding and I vaguely remember really digging character creation when we tried it back in the 90s but never got to play. (It was an instance of not enough regulars showed up to play out standing game so let’s spend the time making characters in case this happens again.)

It is just nostalgia from a time I didn’t know better?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Trust Stafford

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pendragon is one of the finest RPG designs of all time. The Great Pendragon Campaign is arguably the greatest published RPG campaign of all time.

If you have any interest in roleplaying in the Arthurian mythos, it's a must-have.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
How do you actually run a campaign like that one? Has anyone here done it?

Like I read a summary of a year events and the courts that were held and I ponder how I could possibly immerse my players into that world while keeping up the pace.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Isn't the GPC built so that one adventure = one year and one court session? I don't think it's up to the GM to figure out how to insert the court stuff as "downtime," or make X number of sessions fit in a year of game time. You have an adventure and you do court stuff and it's assumed you spent the rest of the year extorting bushels of rye from the peasantry and training your falcons and whatnot.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Like I read a summary of a year events and the courts that were held and I ponder how I could possibly immerse my players into that world while keeping up the pace.

Ask Liesmith

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009

I believe Grey Hunter has run the Pendragon campaign.

First episode should be here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiCMaNybBuY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I’m running the GPC right now, ask me anything. I think we’re on session twenty one.