Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
I want to see Jim and the prime minister have a punch up in the Cronulla leagues club car park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Burn Down Canberra posted:

Union is boring and only played by upper class people. It was also backed by literal nazis during world war 2 so there is that shameful history. League on the other hand is fast and exciting and is a working class sport.

In NSW some schools actually ban rugby league on class lines. No school bans rugby union its just nobody wants to play it because its boring and its only use is a social event for fat north shore aristocrats

The upper class calling their code "union" is the best self-own ever.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

hambeet posted:

what about real footy ay?

https://twitter.com/gregbrown_TheOz/status/1040415824287154176

Don Dongington posted:

The upper class calling their code "union" is the best self-own ever.

It's from the same people who go to public schools.

The Australian posted:

Scott Morrison has portrayed himself as a one-eyed Cronulla Sharks fan but it wasn’t that long ago that he preferred rugby union while also being a supporter of the AFL’s Western Bulldogs.

Mr Morrison has publicly declared he was a fan of the Western Bulldogs and called AFL a “great game” and the AFL grand final the “greatest show in Oz”, despite last week saying he did not have an AFL team.

The Prime Minister’s quotes about AFL — made in 2009 — are reminiscent of fellow Sydneysider Malcolm Turnbull calling the Melbourne-based game “the most exciting football code”, to the chagrin of working-class NRL fans in his home state.

Mr Morrison, who last week tasked comedian Peter Helliar with finding him an AFL team, even bragged he was singing the Western Bulldogs’ theme song after the team had a win in 2009.

“(Scott Morrison) is singing sons of the west, red, white and blue, we’ll come out snarling bulldogs thru and thru (sic) go doggies,” Mr Morrison tweeted.

He said he supported the Victorian team instead of the Sydney Swans because then Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade introduced him to the “great game”.

“And loyalty counts,” Mr Morrison tweeted.

Mr Morrison has promoted his links with rugby league since gaining the Liberal leadership last month, appearing on the NRL Footy Show while taking every opportunity to talk up his team, the Cronulla Sharks.

Even on his way into the ballot, the only comments he made were in reference to the Sharks’ game that weekend.

“My only tip is that the Sharks will beat Newcastle,” he told tradies at Parliament House.

But in 2010, the then second-term MP said he preferred rugby union to rugby league, while in 2015 he described how he “grew up on rugby”.

“I’m more of a rugby fan, but naturally when it comes to the NRL, the Sharks have my loyalty,” Mr Morrison tweeted.

In 2012, he declared rugby union “will always be my game”.

“But the (AFL grand final) is the greatest show in Oz,” he tweeted.

Rugby union is popular in private schools and affluent parts of Sydney, with rugby league largely the game of the working class.

Mr Morrison, who has tried to distance himself from Mr Turnbull’s “Mr Harbourside Mansion” image, did a press conference in his first week in the job while holding the Steeden ball used in rugby league games.

He earlier showed off his skills with the rugby league players at Sydney’s Endeavour Sports High School and watched the Sharks lose to the Sydney Roosters in Sydney on Saturday night.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Sep 21, 2018

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
personally I think the corruption of Football/Soccer can’t be matched so is the superior sport

enjoy League though

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

MysticalMachineGun posted:

"Hi, Jim is it? I'd love to call the PM a pigfucker to his face. How can this be arranged without living in Western Sydney?"

shire’s south mate

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raOvVvXsnes

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

hambeet posted:

what about real footy ay?

I think ScoMo tried to jump on the Western Bulldogs bandwagon when they won the premiership a couple of years ago.

Edit: beaten like a far-right potato head in a leadership spill.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 21, 2018

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Whenever someone says League is fast and exciting compared to Union I just drop it because I feel the exact opposite and couldn't see how you could argue otherwise

What's this about Nazis liking Union though?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Birdstrike posted:

shire’s south mate

I more meant that WS seems to be the only area politicians would care about or visit.

Read an article in the Guardian today about the Murdoch papers and the Tele has been waging war for Western Sydney for decades, is that why pollies think it matters? Media blackmail?

Can't wait til our pollies are more worried about retweets and Instagram likes rather than what a newspaper with a hundred grey hairs reading it says

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
The only sport worth watching is Overwatch everyone knows this

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

GoldStandardConure posted:

The only sport worth watching is Hockey everyone knows this

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

i assume you mean joe

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Palmer United is bombarding YouTube ads.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

snoremac posted:

Palmer United is bombarding YouTube ads.

I got a Youtube sponsored by them a couple of weeks ago that was just the full length Tory Story video from the ABC.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/AussieParlEdits/status/1042982831951994880?s=19

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

toml must be bored

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

GoldStandardConure posted:

if the choice is between league or union, i'd take the bullet

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
i choose the sport where the competitors poo poo on the floor and piss in their own mouths over the sport where the competitors all have names like “Thaddeus Westminster-Barrington III” and their ancestors all owned slaves

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

racing identity posted:

i choose the sport where the competitors poo poo on the floor and piss in their own mouths

ah, a true man for all sports

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I want ScoMo to change teams one more time before the election.

*Checks polls, puts on Broncos Jersey*

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Anidav posted:

I want ScoMo to change teams one more time before the election.

*Checks polls, puts on Broncos Jersey*

This + a Gold Coast Suns hat will absolutely happen

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Only football is 11 a side.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Lmao an emu drinker being aware of places outside of western australia

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
emu export? "grouse"? NSW? who the gently caress wrote this

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

Concatenation posted:

Someone who posts on Facebook

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Concatenation posted:

a seppo

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Concatenation posted:

what do New South Welshmen (lmao) write instead of NSW?

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I’ve no idea I’m not from there. Watch out, I’ll scone you with a boondie and you’ll get scunted

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

fixed

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Whenever someone says League is fast and exciting compared to Union I just drop it because I feel the exact opposite and couldn't see how you could argue otherwise

Everybody likes different sports and that's cool and good. I grew up playing union and soccer in my (public) school and enjoy both, and league is the code I find most entertaining as a fan. AFL seems like the most boring and skill-free game imaginable, but a shitton of people seem to like it so I guess it's ok too (except when the season ends because the Swans aren't in it anymore so why bother watching at all).

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

iajanus posted:

league is the code I find most entertaining as a fan. AFL seems like the most boring and skill-free game imaginable,

okay I haven't really been an AFL fan for a few years now but jesus christ

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Jonah Galtberg posted:

It's obviously the laziest troll.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

I'll call the players skillful if they can demonstrate the ability to hold the ball for more than twenty seconds each without randomly dropping it or flailing about like a bunch of kids playing Kill the Dill with the Pill. Also, let them tackle (or gently push, like they often do) in the back, if they want to come off as tough and not just playing with kid gloves.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Nice try iajanus

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

People watch League for the fisting.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

hambeet posted:

It's obviously the laziest troll.

i am currently on a new antidepressant which is (hopefully temporarily) making me extremely foggy and drowsy so i am especially vulnerable to these underhanded tactics

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I guess there is some skill in threading someone's o-ring on your index finger through a pair of shorts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

CrazyTolradi posted:

People watch League for the fisting.

AFL is the code where people punch each other, league limits it to fingers.

• Locked thread