Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?
Not at all EVE related- they remade Star Control, and it's actually pretty decent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

I'm super skeptical that stardock can pull off any sort of the charm a star control game needs given how dry their games tend to be (and given that they have basically no rights to the property beyond the name of the game).

Also, gently caress giving Brad Wardell money in general.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Tsed posted:

I'm super skeptical that stardock can pull off any sort of the charm a star control game needs given how dry their games tend to be (and given that they have basically no rights to the property beyond the name of the game).

Also, gently caress giving Brad Wardell money in general.

Stardock is by no means a favorite developer of mine, but this actually recaptures a lot of old nostalgia (for me anyway).

Figured I'd give it a go on steam, and refund if it sucked- not refunding. Only negative I have is there's no Ur-quaan 'launch fighters' spam.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xolve posted:

Not at all EVE related- they remade Star Control, and it's actually pretty decent.

Yeah, I was surprised to see Stardock didn't gently caress this up. Too late now to budget it in for September, but next week is pay day and with the positive reviews rolling in I guess I have no reason anymore to not get it.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Do not give Brad Wardell, who is using lawyers to bully the original SC creators into submission, who defends doxxing, who harasses women, your money

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bayonnefrog
Nov 9, 2017

People still play Eve?

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pomp posted:

Do not give Brad Wardell, who is using lawyers to bully the original SC creators into submission, who defends doxxing, who harasses women, your money

Alternatively, accept that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, and play the fun game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ChickenWing posted:

Alternatively, accept that there is no ethical consumption under capitalism, and play the fun game

this, but also do your revolution homework

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

there is no ethical consumption under capitalism

:eyepop:

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

stardock is currently suing the actual creators of star control to try to seize control of it from them, so this is a special case

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

stardock is currently suing the actual creators of star control to try to seize control of it from them, so this is a special case

Eh, Stardock really believe they own the rights to make Star Control games. They say they bought the rights from Atari, who purchased Accolade, the original publisher. The issue seems to be the guys who originally created and developed Star Control only licensed the property to Accolade, rather than transferring the rights wholesale. If so, Attari didn't have anything to sell to Stardock.

Cheer for one side or the other if you want. Presumably Stardock did due diligence before paying for the IP from Atari and there's some documentation of an IP transfer to Accolade. Otherwise they're going to be in trouble in that lawsuit because the original creators testimony about a time limited license could stand unchallenged.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ChickenWing posted:

I'm, uh, pretty sure this isn't what that's supposed to be applied to

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cease to Hope posted:

We have literal concentration camps for immigrant children at the U.S. border, we're about to confirm a rapist for the Supreme Court because consequences do not exist if you're a rich white guy, we do not bother to evacuate prisons in hurricane flood zones and just leave them there to die, there were four mass shootings yesterday alone and it didn't even make a blip on the news radar because the President of the United States has a dick that looks like Toad from Mario Kart, we have four times as many empty homes on the market as we have homeless people in the United States, the concept of having "side hustles" has become normalized because the job market has been so bad for so long that people must in some way justify their starvation wages to themselves, and a million other heinous things are going on right now that you can't possibly keep up with them all even if you are extremely online --

But this right here, Stardock trying to seize control of Star Control, is the bridge too far.

The line must be drawn here, you say in your very best impression of Sir Patrick Stewart, this far and no further!

gently caress you

ChickenWing posted:

:angel:

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
You can care about multiple things my dude

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Pomp posted:

Stardock actually paid the money to make the game they're making. Apparently it's actually fun.

If you want to not play it because the guys who made the original Star Control games 30 years ago claim that only they're allowed to make Star Control games, that's your prerogative. But if they're telling the truth, they'll probably get the money out of Stardock as part of the ongoing litigation. So this is a bizarre thing to take a stand about.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Pomp posted:

You can also buy a thing while condemning the creator.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i love donald trump he is my fave guy

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChickenWing posted:

You can also buy a thing while condemning the creator.

In fact, unless one is a naked hermit who lives alone in the wilderness (in which case how the gently caress are you posting) you have to buy things from terrible people

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Addamere posted:

In fact, unless one is a naked hermit who lives alone in the wilderness (in which case how the gently caress are you posting) you have to buy things from terrible people

ur rite

basically, this argument boils down to:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Addamere posted:

We have literal concentration camps for immigrant children at the U.S. border, we're about to confirm a rapist for the Supreme Court because consequences do not exist if you're a rich white guy, we do not bother to evacuate prisons in hurricane flood zones and just leave them there to die, there were four mass shootings yesterday alone and it didn't even make a blip on the news radar because the President of the United States has a dick that looks like Toad from Mario Kart, we have four times as many empty homes on the market as we have homeless people in the United States, the concept of having "side hustles" has become normalized because the job market has been so bad for so long that people must in some way justify their starvation wages to themselves, and a million other heinous things are going on right now that you can't possibly keep up with them all even if you are extremely online --

But this right here, Stardock trying to seize control of Star Control, is the bridge too far.

The line must be drawn here, you say in your very best impression of Sir Patrick Stewart, this far and no further!

gently caress you

:angel:

Yes but, how is this going to affect PLEX prices in the short term?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There's a p big gulf between "You probably shouldn't worry about how ethical poo poo you need is" and "this guy's a known gamergate apologist, harrasser, with some light doxxing and dubious legal practices thrown in"

But hey I work in homeless services, what would I know about ethical consumption under capitalism

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you're capable of looking past all that good for you, y'all ain't gotta act like I can't to your house and yelled at you about buying the wrong kind of milk

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

Yes but, how is this going to affect PLEX prices in the short term?

bigly

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the irony is, the only correct way of fixing this bullshit is abolishing copyright, which still doesn't help the old dudes who are about to get screwed by copyright, because they still want to own it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
also, just :filez: the game, there you played a good game and didn't support a shithead good job

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Just play Star Control 2. jeez why would you need another game, its already perfect

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Rutibex posted:

Just play Star Control 2. jeez why would you need another game, its already perfect

Because I lost the fold out sector map

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i used 2 see u on steam all the time xolve what are you playing lately

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Addamere posted:

i used 2 see u on steam all the time xolve what are you playing lately

Middle Age Career Simulator

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

You're really gonna ask why we don't just play a good game in the EVE thread?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xolve posted:

:sadpeanut:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Xolve posted:

Currently failing at that game. Know any good cheat codes?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Truga posted:

the irony is, the only correct way of fixing this bullshit is abolishing copyright, which still doesn't help the old dudes who are about to get screwed by copyright, because they still want to own it.

Isn't that one of Brad Wardell's big talking points?

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

Dalael posted:

/restart

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

> Power Overwhelming
> Show Me The Money
> There Is No Cow Level

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Dalael posted:

Brown nosing.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

/kill all

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Dalael posted:

I D D Q D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair