Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Terminally Bored posted:

Any good guides out there on how to put good terrain for two opposing armies so as not to give anyone advantage?

That really varies heavily from army to army. Typically, think about how to set up a board generally and try and conceive how fair you think it would be for yourself and your opponent. You'll get better at that aspect as you get more games under your belt. It's always a good idea to discuss the terrain with your opponent and agree to the layout and any special rules or terrain exceptions prior to starting the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Does 8th still have the option to let players take turns putting down terrain to fill up a board? I know there’s a whole system for it in AoS now.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
I think in 8th the book is just like "set up the terrain", with no real guidance outside of that.

PierreTheMime posted:

It's always a good idea to discuss the terrain with your opponent and agree to the layout and any special rules or terrain exceptions prior to starting the game.

Pretty much this. If I'm playing at home, I usually start by setting up the board in a way that looks cool before anyone shows up, and then we go around moving poo poo until everyone is equally unhappy with the result. That's about as fair as it gets.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Speaking of terrain, I picked up a bunch of these sectors mechanicus kits and they are great. They have holes under all the sections and a bunch of connecting pegs so you can mix and match everything. It’s like making stuff out of LEGO, for a comparable cost!

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

ANAmal.net posted:

I think in 8th the book is just like "set up the terrain", with no real guidance outside of that.

Pretty much this. If I'm playing at home, I usually start by setting up the board in a way that looks cool before anyone shows up, and then we go around moving poo poo until everyone is equally unhappy with the result. That's about as fair as it gets.

it varies by mission. Some of the narrative missions are like "the defender sets up the table however they want." I'm also a fan of the NoVA terrain setup. Not for every game, but I think it's a good setup in most, and not difficult to replicate.

Wizard
Aug 3, 2014

Paul Blart: Mall Blart

TheChirurgeon posted:

it varies by mission. Some of the narrative missions are like "the defender sets up the table however they want." I'm also a fan of the NoVA terrain setup. Not for every game, but I think it's a good setup in most, and not difficult to replicate.

How does nova do it? I know at adepticon players set up the terrain in alternating turns.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

Wizard posted:

How does nova do it? I know at adepticon players set up the terrain in alternating turns.

NoVA uses standardized terrain set-ups for every table.

http://www.rocketshipgames.com/blogs/tjkopena/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/IMG_8465.jpg

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Terminally Bored posted:

Thanks, all!

Any good guides out there on how to put good terrain for two opposing armies so as not to give anyone advantage?

Draw an imaginary line diagonal across the board, and place terrain to mirror across the diagonal.

Do not be tempted to feel like there must be a center piece.

Unless it’s a tourney, don’t stress about being exact.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug
does 40k work well with tons of LoS blocking terrain? Like, are there big issues with having only a few spots where you have clear LoS for > 24''? Context: I like terrain and think there should be lots of it.

Gato The Elder fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Sep 20, 2018

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

fashionly snort posted:

does 40k work well with tons of LoS blocking terrain? Like, are there big issues with having only a few spots where you have clear LoS for > 24''? Context: I like terrain and think there should be lots of it.

It works really well.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
LoS blocking terrain solves a lot of 8e's problems when enough of it is used.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
Speaking of LoS blocking terrain, I was inspired by Kill Team and thought of ways to modify ruins for 40k:

All ruin walls are considered LoS blocking terrain unless a model is within 1" of it. If a model is within 1" of a ruin wall, then that wall is see-through for that model (it can see through that wall, and other models can see it through that wall). When making ranged attacks through a ruin wall, if the attacker is more than 1" away from that ruin wall, then the target has cover.

Anyone tried this, or something similar in 40k?

Zasze
Apr 29, 2009

fashionly snort posted:

8e is better with a really dense board it really helps with turn 1 alpha strikes which are the bane of this edition for me.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Duct Tape posted:

Speaking of LoS blocking terrain, I was inspired by Kill Team and thought of ways to modify ruins for 40k:

All ruin walls are considered LoS blocking terrain unless a model is within 1" of it. If a model is within 1" of a ruin wall, then that wall is see-through for that model (it can see through that wall, and other models can see it through that wall). When making ranged attacks through a ruin wall, if the attacker is more than 1" away from that ruin wall, then the target has cover.

Anyone tried this, or something similar in 40k?

My group goes by: You can see into or out of ruins, but not through.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I'm the exhausted businessman at the top right staring at his adult son playing with dolls, unable to hold back the disdain.

That dude plays MTG. It's even sadder in reality.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Finally finished my bigly knight. It was much more exhausting than I thought it was going to be. All the weathering was a bitch.

Castellan Knight FEMC #2 Left "Green Devil".

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Worth it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Very much worth it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
absolutely worth it. That is loving phenomenal

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
That's honestly just mindblowing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
That entire thing is just remarkable. How much of the markings are free hand?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Thanks for the kind words. Glad the effort was worth it.

Pendent posted:

That entire thing is just remarkable. How much of the markings are free hand?

The red crosses and their associated text, chest plate text and the demon skulls. I only used the knights transfer sheet for the eagles etc.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Jesus. Every time I look it just gets more awesome.

That's award winning.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

:stare: Holy poo poo.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
I think I hate you a little bit.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Z the IVth posted:

Thanks for the kind words. Glad the effort was worth it.

The red crosses and their associated text, chest plate text and the demon skulls. I only used the knights transfer sheet for the eagles etc.

I had a feeling you’d say that. I’m in awe.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
shut yo mouth?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Booley posted:

I think I hate you a little bit.

It's more than a little for me.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
whoa wwrong thread

what a knight btw. incredible

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
What are those things in the little cupolas above the meltaguns supposed to be?

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Z the IVth posted:

Finally finished my bigly knight. It was much more exhausting than I thought it was going to be. All the weathering was a bitch.

Owns. Great job.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I keep looking at it and it just keeps getting better; the heat coloring on the barrels.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
Incredible Knight. The freehand is really great and adds a ton of character to an already impeccably executed paintjob.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
These rogue trader minis are the best things I've ever worked on. Each one is an absolute joy to paint and they're coming together beautifully.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Badablack posted:

Targetting sensors.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Z the IVth posted:

:allears:

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Badablack posted:

Projection lasers to display a light show for the guardsmen underfoot.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Bob Wins posted:

Projection lasers to display a light show for the guardsmen underfoot.

More like it calibrates the main weapons by sacrificially lasering guardsmen.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I really need to stop browsing and bidding for 40k auctions for a while now.
On the plus side I've gotten more or less all the new models that I've wanted to paint. Including the RT Voidsmen and Aximillion. :woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Wins
Oct 25, 2010

Maneck posted:

More like it calibrates the main weapons by sacrificially lasering guardsmen.

Small vacuums that suck up CP from surrounding guardsmen.