Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

For how many generations has n x70 = n-1 x80ti?

Where n = generation.

Excuse my formula I don't mathematic good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

For how many generations has n x70 = n-1 x80ti?

Where n = generation.

Excuse my formula I don't mathematic good.

The 970 performed a tiny bit worse than the 780Ti, but benefited from a newer architecture, much better thermals, and an extra 0.75GB+0.25GB of frame buffer.

The 1070 is pretty comparable to the 980Ti, once again getting the benefit of a slightly newer architecture, better thermals, and an extra 2GB of gotcha-free frame buffer.

There never was a 680Ti, but the first ~TITAN~ card was Kepler-based, and the Kepler Titan card was beat out very narrowly by the 780Ti. They were both 2013 cards, the Titan being Q1 and the 780Ti being Q4.

So roughly three generations.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Sep 21, 2018

ufarn
May 30, 2009
EVGA launched their precision X1 software today, but only as a 0.2.5 beta product.

https://twitter.com/TEAMEVGA/status/1042951490665496576

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mr.PayDay posted:

Is there a business standard „when“ and „how“ avg fps are measured and valid?
My definition - if that’s sth you can agree on - is from the enthusiasm POV:
Maximizing gfx settings for best visual immersion as the devs and designers provide it in their game.
I have many buddies and work colleagues I play Overwatch or PUBG with and they tune everything down. The most common cards are the 970, 1050ti and 1060 there, they value performance over everything.

There are always settings you can sacrifice and won’t notice a difference, it depends on each game and each slider and options.

But if you have to start decreasing gfx values or even disabling options to gain fps on 4K, your card can’t keep 60 fps at 4K in that unique scenario, and that’s my reference.

My brother already lowers shadows and some effects to play beyond 60fps in more and more games. That proves that the 1080ti is not even close a 4K60 GPU from an enthusiastic gfx perspective.

You can play 4K on 980ti as well, and get 60 fps, does that make a 4K card. Rhetorical question, you now where I am getting at.

lmao duder, you know that even benches almost never use max settings? Even a stock 2080ti can't hit 4K60fps average in Shadow of the Tomb Raider WITH THE LOWEST AA SETTING AVAILABLE

Edit: wait SMAA is probably faster than TAA, make that WITH THE SECOND LOWEST AA SETTING AVAILABLE

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Sep 21, 2018

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

DLSS and 4k kinda make AA less of a thing anyways though. It's like saying a modern car is terrible because there's nowhere to hook up a horse.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VelociBacon posted:

DLSS and 4k kinda make AA less of a thing anyways though. It's like saying a modern car is terrible because there's nowhere to hook up a horse.

I agree (except I think DLSS looks kinda rear end from the few demos we've seen) and that's kind of my point. AAA games are designed around console-level med to high graphics preset and anything above that is heavy diminishing returns territory.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Mr.PayDay posted:

We should refer to the max settings the designers and developers allow imo.

This is a tremendously bad with money opinion.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Arzachel posted:

I agree (except I think DLSS looks kinda rear end from the few demos we've seen) and that's kind of my point. AAA games are designed around console-level med to high graphics preset and anything above that is heavy diminishing returns territory.

DLSS has way better visual quality than TAA. Check out the video from Digital Foundry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbgvXde-YA

It has some drawbacks in some very particular areas but overall it seems to be a massive improvement.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

Lockback posted:

This release has brought out the oddest opinions.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Lockback posted:

Goons bad with money? Well, I never!

(Can't grab the url on mobile, but pretend I linked one of the many threads on SA-Mart of people selling many expensive things to make rent.)

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Partial Octopus posted:

DLSS has way better visual quality than TAA. Check out the video from Digital Foundry.

It has some drawbacks in some very particular areas but overall it seems to be a massive improvement.

Keep in mind "TAA" doesn't refer to a specific implementation like FXAA/SMAA do, each engine has its own flavour of TAA and the quality varies. DigitalFoundries conclusion was more like FF15 TAA < DLSS < UE4 TAA.

However "slightly lower quality than best-in-class TAA but 40% faster" is still a pretty good trade-off in my opinion.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Real-time TAA still always looks like dogshit, which is specifically why Nvidia chooses it as a comparison point. When we can compare DLSS to non-TAA images, then we'll see how it actually looks, and whether it makes 4k monitors a worthwhile purchase when worthwhile ones come out, or whether it's better to stick with 1440.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

K8.0 posted:

Real-time TAA still always looks like dogshit, which is specifically why Nvidia chooses it as a comparison point. When we can compare DLSS to non-TAA images, then we'll see how it actually looks, and whether it makes 4k monitors a worthwhile purchase when worthwhile ones come out, or whether it's better to stick with 1440.
Good temporal AA looks vastly better than any spatial method at comparable speeds and that's the reason every other method has been phased out in console games

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
love to spend $1300 on raw gpu power and then use the worst looking AA available :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
With TAA, you sometimes have to manually set a sharpness slider to offset the blurriness, it's just a mess when the devs don't commit to implementing it properly.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Partial Octopus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMbgvXde-YA

Computerbase has a downloadable video without youtube compression.

That remark was personal preference though, I think TAA also sucks because at 4k I don't mind jaggies as much as the screen getting blurred to poo poo :v:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Truga posted:

love to spend $1300 on raw gpu power and then use the worst looking AA available :v:

yeah, but can it bitcoin?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I dislike contributing to this conversation but by goon logic the 2080ti isn't a 4k card either. There's a lot of games that still can't run 4k60 at ultra.

For me the 1080ti is a 4k60 card. People keep moving the goalposts and saying it's only a 4k60 card if it's running games on ultra, wilfully ignoring that there's an almost imperceptible difference in the vast majority of games, yet has a dramatic penalty to performance. High/Ultra settings is a classic example of the pareto principle, where you generally get the vast majority of the graphical output on high for much less performance cost.

I play Destiny 2, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Doom 2016, Overwatch, WoW quite a lot. All of them run at 4k60 on high just fine, without any dipping. When I buy new PC games and I set the settings to high and I set the resolution to 3840*2160, I get 60fps. Its a 4k60 card. :shrug: Sorry if you don't get the same, maybe check the rest of your hardware

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Man sittin on a 2500k, a (splurge at the time for VR) release month 1080, and a 1440p Qnix monitor that does 96hz just keeps being a helluva bang for buck sweet spot. Maybe in 2020 it'll be time to upgrade to a 10800k and 3080ti to push a 144hz 4k monitor.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
People like to argue about dumb poo poo. I say 4k60 isn't even a worthwhile goalpost, because at 4k 60hz is skipping so many pixels that it's basically stop motion.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Truga posted:

I know MSAA is expensive and "hard" but it works so well.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

wargames posted:

I know MSAA is expensive and "hard" but it works so well.

Aside from being expensive and annoying to implement in modern pipelines, MSAA also does nothing to clean up specular aliasing which is a bigger deal now that everyone is using physically based shading. It'll get you razor sharp geometry edges but can't fix flickering highlights.

That's why developers like TAA so much, it works on every form of aliasing including aliasing they deliberately introduce themselves (you can improve performance by undersampling certain effects with a random offset per frame then letting TAA soak up the noise).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

teh_Broseph posted:

Man sittin on a 2500k, a (splurge at the time for VR) release month 1080, and a 1440p Qnix monitor that does 96hz just keeps being a helluva bang for buck sweet spot. Maybe in 2020 it'll be time to upgrade to a 10800k and 3080ti to push a 144hz 4k monitor.

It's kind of wild to think of how far dedicated graphics has come at this point. I don't remember for the life of me the specific cpus I used in each upgrade build, but I can still tell you every GPU I owned.

No clue what I was using before 97...Ati All in Wonder Pro ('97), 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 ('99), GeForce 4 MX440 (which was shittier then a gf3, '02), Radeon 9800 Pro (A true MVP of its time, '03), Evga 7800GT (poo poo the bed pretty fast, evga sent over a 7950GS, '06), 8800 GTS (another champion card, '07)...rode out that build for about 3 years until that rig died and I switched over to osx until a full new build in 2012 with a 680, then a 980, 1080, and now 2080. 21 years, 10 cards.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

The first dedicated video card I bought was the Matrox Millennium back in the pre-3d days. Kept using it for years as the 2d card for both the Voodoo and Voodoo II.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I bought a Riva TNT and have been making good money decisions ever since.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I dislike contributing to this conversation but by goon logic the 2080ti isn't a 4k card either. There's a lot of games that still can't run 4k60 at ultra.

For me the 1080ti is a 4k60 card. People keep moving the goalposts and saying it's only a 4k60 card if it's running games on ultra, wilfully ignoring that there's an almost imperceptible difference in the vast majority of games, yet has a dramatic penalty to performance. High/Ultra settings is a classic example of the pareto principle, where you generally get the vast majority of the graphical output on high for much less performance cost.

I play Destiny 2, Divinity: Original Sin 2, Doom 2016, Overwatch, WoW quite a lot. All of them run at 4k60 on high just fine, without any dipping. When I buy new PC games and I set the settings to high and I set the resolution to 3840*2160, I get 60fps. Its a 4k60 card. :shrug: Sorry if you don't get the same, maybe check the rest of your hardware

Yeah, what is a "4K card" completely depends on what you're running. Stellaris, BGEE, emulators, Pillars of Eternity II - pretty much everything I've played recently runs wonderfully on my 1060 at 4K maxed out. I remember MGSV doing very well and Witcher 3 is quite playable at 4K/medium. Haven't played WoW in a couple years but I remember it being very good at 4K 7/10 detail. Turns out it's super important to consider the intended use case for these things!

Eletriarnation fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 21, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Buying a geforce 4 with my retail job money in high school out of a tiger direct catalog was a good lesson in caveat emptor

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

The 1080ti is really good at running a game designed in like 2002 at 4k - people itt

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lockback posted:

Or for some of us that isn't such a big deal? I've always purchased the top end card because I want to run my games at max resolution and max settings (some of those NV specific performance killers need not apply ;) ).

repiv posted:

Aside from being expensive and annoying to implement in modern pipelines, MSAA also does nothing to clean up specular aliasing which is a bigger deal now that everyone is using physically based shading. It'll get you razor sharp geometry edges but can't fix flickering highlights.

That's why developers like TAA so much, it works on every form of aliasing including aliasing they deliberately introduce themselves (you can improve performance by undersampling certain effects with a random offset per frame then letting TAA soak up the noise).

Pretty much this. There's no real need to run MSAA in most modern games (I know, not MAX SETTINGS ALWAYS), doubly so when @ 4k. Proper TAA works so much better though.

On a side note, some of the benchmarks for the 2080Ti show some really bad minimum frame times. I hope that's just a driver maturity issue. :ohdear:

Stanley Pain fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Sep 21, 2018

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Stanley Pain posted:

Or for some of us that isn't such a big deal? I've always purchased the top end card because I want to run my games at max resolution and max settings (some of those NV specific performance killers need not apply ;) ).

congratulations on being first against the wall when the revolution comes, I guess? :v:

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 21, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

I bought a Riva TNT and have been making good money decisions ever since.

Voodoo 2 was $250 at launch for an 8meg and people were flipping out that the price was too high for a gaming toy good times good times

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

TheFluff posted:

congratulations on being first against the wall when the revolution comes, I guess? :v:

Says the wealthy seagull with a crown!

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

Mr.PayDay posted:

But if you pay a grand for a GPU, why would you turn down settings?
Because often, those 'ultra' settings are usually thrown in with little optimization as they're only usable by 1% of an already niche market (compared to the console versions). It's throwing a bone to PC gamers with "See! We support you!" when the visual impact vs. performance scale is piss-poor. It all depends on the game of course, but so often or two settings that have negligible impact in visual quality can massively reduce performance. I mean sure, I always like the options even if they're not highly optimized as having that choice is a reason I primarily play on PC in the first place, but naming your settings "Ultra" really doesn't mean anything in of itself.

Now this is a separate argument though as to what benchmarking reviews comparing generational releases should do, I agree they should set everything to max and if not, be very clear what they're disabling and why. There has been enough reviews of GPU's to know what settings to use when comparing cards these days, for the most part it's "Everything maxxed, turn off SSAA and MSAA, and disable Hairworks for Witcher3".

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
How do we get thread good again?

Anyone get a card shipped from Nvidia yet?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheFluff posted:

I think the only time I didn't buy a top end GFX card was when I picked up a 970. But then again I picked up two of them to run in SLI.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

K8.0 posted:

It would do nothing but benefit Nvidia to compare DLSS to MSAA/FSAA/SMAA. Those do absolutely nothing for specular aliasing and comparing scenes in motion would be a flickering mess against DLSS. Even SSAA would benefit DLSS as they could just show the drastic performance difference.

Sure, using the poo poo TAA in Final Fantasy is stacking the deck somewhat, but most TAA solutions aren't that bad. Doom's TAA with its sharpening slider is an excellent example. Any game without TAA stands out to me like a sore thumb these days, Rise of the Tomb Raider is a prime example of how a game's aesthetic was severely hampered by not using TAA with all the horrible flickering - which is why they went to TAA for Shadow. Arkham Knight is another game who's art is massively undercut by a crap FXAA solution.

TAA is one of the best image quality improvement innovations to come along in years. There are always going to be varied implementations of any technique, but shading aliasing absolutely sucks and nothing outside of downsampling fixes it like TAA.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

Aeka 2.0 posted:

How do we get thread good again?

Anyone get a card shipped from Nvidia yet?

I'm running 3x 2080ti's at the moment, league of legends gets 200fps at 8k (medium settings)

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Cygni posted:

Voodoo 2 was $250 at launch for an 8meg and people were flipping out that the price was too high for a gaming toy good times good times

Well, if you were after real performance you needed 2 of them.

I remember how big a deal it was when the TNT2 could beat SLI voodoo 2s in some games (quake 2,it was quake 2,then 3)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Do you recommend a gsync monitor for 200 fps @8k?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Statutory Ape posted:

Do you recommend a gsync monitor for 200 fps @8k?

I'm so hard right now :q: