Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

ponzicar posted:

I think the 3d printed gun will actually save lives. Mainly because some shut in wannabe murderer will end up blowing off their fingers with a lovely plastic zip gun after spending hundreds of dollars on a nerd toy. If it didn't exist, they may have used that money to buy a real gun, or learned to build something actually capable of firing bullets in their garage.

lol I was going to link to the amazon page for the P.A. Luty homemade 9mm submachine gun instructions but it appears they actually took it down since I lat saw it.

Tardcore has issued a correction as of 23:12 on Sep 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

doesn't a 3d printer cost more than a gun anyway lol

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

THC posted:

yeah but now you can make them for all your friends too

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

THC posted:

So does a CNC mill but you can get one for about $4000 and make real gun parts that don't blow up after 1 or two shots (that you can churn out quickly with no traceability for your neo-nazi buddies).

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
i think the SPLC article on Cody Wilson mentioning Thailand is an error.

quote:

After skipping his flight back to the US in the wake of accusations of sexual assault against a minor, Defense Distributed founder Cody Wilson attempted to rent an apartment in Taipei this week, according to United Daily News (Chinese, Google Translate), a Chinese-language media outlet based in Taiwan.

That article indicates that Wilson appears to have initially passed himself off as an American student living in the city. But after Wilson seemed to have secured an apartment by making an initial down payment, the rental agency reportedly recognized him and called the authorities. UDN writes that area police and Taiwan's Criminal Investigation Bureau are now trying to again locate Wilson.

The reported rental incident is at least the second media account of Wilson being on the ground in Taiwan. Earlier, The Taiwan News cited a Chinese-language publication known as Apple Daily when reporting that Wilson was spotted at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Taipei after having arrived in the city on September 6. However, Wilson checked out on September 7, according to Apple Daily.

Even if extradition isn't a given in this scenario, Wilson could be subject to deportation order under Taiwanese law. According to The Taiwan News, the National Immigration Agency would detain Wilson should he attempt to leave the island. Taiwan’s Criminal Investigation Bureau has noted to the press that, since Wilson has not committed any crimes in Taiwan, he cannot be arrested. But he could be ordered to leave the island.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/09/cody-wilson-reportedly-trying-to-rent-an-apartment-in-taiwan-per-local-media/
weird

https://twitter.com/TechCreepin/status/1042931697875144706

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Sep 21, 2018

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
from what i can tell, there is no extradition treaty between the U.S. and Taiwan, but that doesn't mean you can commit any crime and go there with no worries. what it really means is that you're at the mercy of the Taiwanese authorities and whether or not they are willing to ignore a high-profile fugitive wanted for sexual assault of a minor.

methinks they're not going to ignore that.

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
yeah it looks like he was trying to hide behind the fact that taiwan is the international law version of airquotes, and going by some sovcit logic that the government is only able to do things that are Sufficently Official.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KiteAuraan posted:

Considering he's a fat idiot who never leaves is house, i doubt he's ever like, done paintball or airsoft, so i'll break it down.

even there, where there is no threat of death or even severe pain, your mind still tells you to stay in cover and poo poo and not act like you would in an fps, and if you do, you end up losing. this is even more true when you go up to pig/military pig rubber bullet excercises and actual loving combat.

Airsoft and paintball are great for seeing cowards because they attract a lot of gamers, but getting hit actually hurts (sometimes a lot) and as soon as they realize that they start hiding desperately and shooting wildly without aiming.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

chitoryu12 posted:

Airsoft and paintball are great for seeing cowards because they attract a lot of gamers, but getting hit actually hurts (sometimes a lot) and as soon as they realize that they start hiding desperately and shooting wildly without aiming.

"Slow is smooth; smooth is fast," the aging wannabes and never-weres on the 'hardcore' airsoft team I used to play, used to tell me. Most valuable game survival mantra I learned, but drat if it made games take forever. In retrospect, that poo poo was a joke, but very fun for a 16 year-old me to 'learn real tactics' from creepy preppers.

What's extra funny is that in paintball/airsoft, cover and concealment are one and the same. Even the 'toughest' airsofters, if put in a real firefight, won't realize that 90% of the poo poo they're taking cover behind, is in fact not cover at all, and they'll get chewed to bits.

Bearded Whiteguy
Mar 2, 2018

I APPROPRIATE THE PLIGHT OF OTHER RACES TO FILL THE VOID OF BEING A FAT USELESS FUCK

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

from what i can tell, there is no extradition treaty between the U.S. and Taiwan, but that doesn't mean you can commit any crime and go there with no worries. what it really means is that you're at the mercy of the Taiwanese authorities and whether or not they are willing to ignore a high-profile fugitive wanted for sexual assault of a minor.

methinks they're not going to ignore that.

While they don’t have any specific extradition treaties, that’s entirely because they can’t negotiate those kind of treaties since Taiwan isn’t recognized as a country by the UN. Taiwan has participated in anti-terrorism exercises and extraditions. If the US cares enough they’ll just talk to the Taiwanese government.

https://www.state.gov/j/inl/rls/nrcrpt/2016/vol2/253433.htm

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

jarofpiss posted:

yeah but now you can make them for all your friends too

what is this collectivism bullshit? share...?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

chitoryu12 posted:

Isn't that basically untrained combatants in a nutshell, real guns or not?

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

While they don’t have any specific extradition treaties, that’s entirely because they can’t negotiate those kind of treaties since Taiwan isn’t recognized as a country by the UN. Taiwan has participated in anti-terrorism exercises and extraditions. If the US cares enough they’ll just talk to the Taiwanese government.

well as we all know, this administration takes sexual assault by right-wing nutjobs very, very seriously

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

Taiwan is also a wealthy first world country, and not a poor place that relies on creepy tourist money. So if he thinks he hopped to some kind of kiddie diddler paradise well uh...

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bearded Whiteguy posted:

This is the most hilarious part of this whole thing. I legit think he googled up what countries don't have extradition treaties and didn't bother to look beyond "Taiwan: No Extradition Treaty" on Yahoo Answers or some poo poo.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

i think the SPLC article on Cody Wilson mentioning Thailand is an error.

weird

https://twitter.com/TechCreepin/status/1042931697875144706
my wife is fluent in mandarin and she said that the article states that the taiwanese police have located this guy but they are waiting for documents to arrive from the US government before they expel him from the country. so yeah basically he's stuck and can't leave the country on his own power but he also isn't under arrest at the moment

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Uranium 235 posted:

my wife is fluent in mandarin and she said that the article states that the taiwanese police have located this guy but they are waiting for documents to arrive from the US government before they expel him from the country. so yeah basically he's stuck and can't leave the country on his own power but he also isn't under arrest at the moment
thanks

:rip:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Uranium 235 posted:

I'm also seeing the subtext of "he is hosed" here.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Grape posted:

I'm also seeing the subtext of "he is hosed" here.
yes i think he is very owned

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
cody wilson kicked in the nuts so hard by taiwanese cops he goes airborne and flies the length of the pacific ocean while shouting "ow my balls"

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

I'm picturing him looking out the airplane window as he lands, expecting to see some sort of shanty town covered misery land full of underage prostitutes. And instead it's a place visibly more developed than the Texas he left behind lol.
I can assume he was doing some 3D printing of his own without even leaving his seat.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

cody wilson kicked in the nuts so hard by taiwanese cops he goes airborne and flies the length of the pacific ocean while shouting "ow my balls"

worldstar

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Bless you both.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I literally see no reason why Taiwan wouldnt give him over to the US. There are waaay too many ways that blows up into a diplomatic shitstorm and Taiwan kinda needs to keep in the good graces of the US.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
he should've fled to pridnestrovie IMO

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Telsa Cola posted:

I literally see no reason why Taiwan wouldnt give him over to the US. There are waaay too many ways that blows up into a diplomatic shitstorm and Taiwan kinda needs to keep in the good graces of the US.
imo it's more of a question of how hard the US will actually push to get him back. i have no doubt the local police want to get him but our own president and most of his cabinet and judicial appointees are sex pests

then again maybe they'll make a show of it to try to show how 'seriously' they take sex crimes. "look, over there!"

but yeah i don't think taiwan wants this guy in their country

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
also pridnestrovie is how to say transnistria in russian

transnistria is the romanian name

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEV1Q6HhWlA

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
oh i know. they could shoot him out of that giant howitzer they have that's been there since world war II or something

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1ElP_uwSww

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Uranium 235 posted:

imo it's more of a question of how hard the US will actually push to get him back. i have no doubt the local police want to get him but our own president and most of his cabinet and judicial appointees are sex pests

then again maybe they'll make a show of it to try to show how 'seriously' they take sex crimes. "look, over there!"

but yeah i don't think taiwan wants this guy in their country

I think if he gets caught and they offer to extradite its going to look very bad if Trump and the court say "Nah keep this person charged with sexual assault of a minor who fled to escape the charges". I imagine they would be better off allowing the extradition and then loving with the case while he is here.

Also Taiwan will likely snag him up when visa issue occurs.

Edit: that being said Im sure they will pick the dumbest possible option

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Grape posted:

I'm picturing him looking out the airplane window as he lands, expecting to see some sort of shanty town covered misery land full of underage prostitutes. And instead it's a place visibly more developed than the Texas he left behind lol.
I can assume he was doing some 3D printing of his own without even leaving his seat.
Thank you for this.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Grape posted:

What are the odds he literally mistook it for Thailand

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

snoremac posted:

:lol:

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I'd like to interrupt the current conversation so that we may laugh at a different idiot libertarian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIkHty_vtI&t=285s

Dave Rubin was yucking it up with Ben Shapiro and says that although he's cool if Ben kicked him out of his store for being a filthy gay, surely he would be cool with coming over if he had a party, right?

I time stamped the relevant portion, but the whole video is worth a watch for the additional commentary as well.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 22 days!)

*liberal free thinking voice*: but I'm gay

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة
maybe he panicked and bought the ticket while hosed out of his head on some darknet research chemicals

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Mr Interweb posted:

I'd like to interrupt the current conversation so that we may laugh at a different idiot libertarian:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIkHty_vtI&t=285s

Dave Rubin was yucking it up with Ben Shapiro and says that although he's cool if Ben kicked him out of his store for being a filthy gay, surely he would be cool with coming over if he had a party, right?

I time stamped the relevant portion, but the whole video is worth a watch for the additional commentary as well.

how'd they get the helium to stay on one side of the room like that?

Dec 26, 2012

snoremac posted:

this is my running theory so far

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp
Has anyone clarified what Cody Wilson did, specifically?

I can't tell from the stories I've seen whether A) she willingly had sex with him and then her parents found out and went to the police because she's underage, or B) he straight-up raped her.

Not that paying an underage girl to have sex with you is OK either, but option B is a lot worse than A in my book.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Taiwanese police are going to have Cody's place surrounded but it's too late. cody 3D printed himself a tank and be busts right out of his home and rides to freedom

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Yeah the appeal is that you get rid of the state so you can kill people, rape kids, whatever you like that indulges your desires, etc.

He also seemed to have inadvertently outed himself as the creator of that darkweb "assassination market" from a few years ago. The name he used to arrange the hookup with the girl was the same as used by the anonymous creator of that talking to a Forbes journalist who also did a lot of stories about Wilson early on.

It's amazing how people in their 20s and 30s keep getting caught because they use the same username everywhere